Universal Vintage Metal Throttle Consoles

I am building as handwork and also as a hobby universal "heavy duty" metal throttle consoles for flight simulators and home cockpits. If you think that the jet ages HOTAS-controllers with the digital displays are unsuitable to your classy retro cockpit this is a real choice to you! 

FIGHTER-BOMBER CONSOLE

This model was at first a Fighter console, but now it has so many new buttons, pots and other features that you can use it with jabos and two motor bombers, too! The outer steel shell of the console will be manufactured and painted industrially to dark gray with metal sheen.

fighter_console2-icon.jpg  

fighter_console3-icon.jpg

fighter_console-icon.jpg

These functions in the plan picture above are only for example how you can map that console in the IL-2 Sturmovik simulator. All the buttons and switches are separated to the different sub groups so you can handle and find them easy with the VR-glasses, too.

TECHNICAL FEATURES

• Laser cut metal cover (1,5 mm stainless steel)
  • Metal case dimensions: 320 mm (lenght) x 160 mm (width) x 50 mm (height)
  • Mjoy 16 USB-circuit board as a "brains"
  • 2 x MagRez hall sensor axis to GVL224's Mechanic kits: throttle and RPM levers
  • 6 x potentiometer axis to radiators, mixture, cowling flaps and stabilizer wheel
  • 3 x digital rotary encoder axis to rudder, roll and elevator trimmers
  • 7 x metal push buttons for mission briefing (map), bombs mode and delay, motors selecting etc.
  • 8 x On-Off metal toggle switches for start, lights, canopy, bomb doors, air brakes etc.
  • 4 x On-Off-On metal toggle switches for FW190 trim stabilizer, autopilot left-right turn etc.
  • 6 x On-Off-On metal lever switches for gears, flaps, radiators, propeller pitch etc.
  • 1 x 4 position rotary switch for flare pistol and different flares
  • 1 x Covered On-Off toggle swith to eject
  • Throttle handle with 5-way thumb micro switch for zoom in/out, Track IR-center etc.
  • Together up to 49 different switch and button functions 

Price 390 € + shipping

OTHER FEATURES

• Throttle lever handle material: aluminum tube (dimeter 40 mm) covered with the comfortable heat shrink tubing rubber
  • RPM lever handle material: gray rubber
  • GVL224 metal levers have adjustable friction screws
  • Easy maintenance to "do-it-yourself men": almost all the toggle switches and buttons cables are assigned with the screws
  • With the VR GLASSES pots, levers, switches and buttons are easily at hand, you don't need to use keyboard (almost) at all!
  • Hand made production with high quality components
  • One year quarantee to all components. If anything goes broken, I send a free new component

If you are interested in these consoles, just send a personal message to me, please! 

Here's my website for the CONSOLES PRODUCTION

Edited by LeR3_Kanttori
  • Upvote 4

I have used the bigger version of this bomber throttle console about a month and it is exellent, no problems! Before I used Warthog throttle, but it is not well suited to IL2 planes. This console includes all needed and usability is excellent.

• Upvote 1

• 350 € + shipping

OTHER PRODUCTS

"This is the bigger "prototype" model..."

I'd be very interested in this for bomber flights.

If/when you get a website up and running, I will purchase one. This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Awesome looks on your build.

Would you mind describing or showing how you are doing the friction of the actual throttle components? How do you avoid stiction?

Answer in OP post:

TECHNICAL FEATURES

• GVL224's Mechanic kits as throttle and RPM levers

GVL224 mechanics:

Edited by Sokol1

Awesome looks on your build.

Would you mind describing or showing how you are doing the friction of the actual throttle components? How do you avoid stiction?

Friction adjustment

gvl224_lever_icon.jpg

Here are the GVL224's mechanic kits, I use those two models to the throttle lever  and RPM-levers. All of them have those MagRez hall sensors. Friction adjustment has two small bolts and  it works very good! By the way, what do you mean with the word "stiction"? :)

By the way, what do you mean with the word "stiction"? :)

"Stiction" is Warthog throttle (and stick)... "feature".  :lol:

BTW -  Adjust Stabilizer with Encoder (buttons) don't result practical (like for elevator)?

Edited by Sokol1

Rotary encoders works very good as elevator etc. trims. It sends A and B "signal pulses" (as quickly button pushes), about 20 pulses per round. So it needs to rotate 5 times around to 0 - 100 %. It is also very exact controller to very smooth trims.

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori

Yes, but why not use Encoder too for "Stabilizer Adjust" too instead axis, this will save a axis for other function.

Yes, but why not use Encoder too for "Stabilizer Adjust" too instead axis, this will save a axis for other function.

Yes of course it is possible, too! Rotary encoder is slow and potentiometer is fast, that's the difference. I like faster stabilizer in my Bf 109! :)

If you want you can map the 109 stabilizer to that elevator trim rotary encoder and use the axis pot on the left side where ever you want.

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori

I have updated the first post with new console scheme and a new "technical features" list. There is also the new price because a lot of more stuff in the new model! :)

Awesome, are the text (function of the buttons) engraved or an overlay film?

I am planning to make some optional aluminum text label sets for different lanquages: Finnish, Russian, Germany and English. They have glue background so everybody can place them as they wish depending on their function mapping... :)

Kanttori build me the second big prototype console and I have used it since last XMas. I have almost the same cockpit than Kanttori: Baur KG 13 grip and Slaw Device rudder pedals. After this console the vintage cockpit feeling is wonderful. I really like those stout throttle and RPM-levers, they are working very precise and feels also authentic in my left hand. When you look at the FW 190 or Bf 109 game cockpit the throttle looks very similar like this one!

Now I am waiting the next generation VR-glasses and then my cockpit is PERFECT: what I see in the virtual reality I also feel with my hands and foots. I have learned the buttons and swithches to my "muscle memory" in a couple of weeks and I don't need to look the console anymore. This is like a HOTAS throttle unit but looks and feels like a real stuff from WWII age! :salute:  

P.S. Kanttori promised to update our prototypes similar as the new production type above without costs. There are coming about 16 functions more with the small micro switches which we need with the VR glasses in the near future.

Edited by LLv32_Raaka

WARTHOG THROTTLE EXPANSION

I am just now building a new expansion consoles to my squad mates who need more axis and trim pots to their Warthog throttles. A-10 Warthog is a jet era aircraft and the HOTAS controller don't have axis to different functions which the WWII aircrafts (mostly all bombers and Allies fighters, too) need. So I build this one to LLv32_Korppi and now he can fly bombers pretty good:

console_wh01-icon.jpg

TECHNICAL FEATURES AND PRICE IN THE FIRST POST!

Here's the pictures of LLv32_Korppi's home cockpit now, He can tell himself what he likes this expansion console!  ;) 

korppi_cockpit1-icon.jpg

korppi_cockpit2-icon.jpg

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori

Hi all. 

First I need to tell you why I bought this box. I had my tm hotas throttle but it missed something really important things that you need in ww2 flight sim. Trims, axis pots to coils and water etc. I looked a while from websites is there anything decent products. There was none that really fitted my need. I knew that Kanttori makes these enormous bigger throttle consoles so i suggested him and idea. "Is it possible to made a box that fulfills my needs because i have this hotas?". Off course it was! Kanttori started planning this box and later threw me a sketch of a box. Love at first sight. Few times later box arrived because Kanttori had to finish some other products. 

First impressions:

- Looks and feels very high quality product. Goes straight to same class with slaw pedals and baur stuff and etc. high quality handmade products
- Easy installation. Kanttori sent me a manual wich helps you install this to your system.

- After I had mapped controls to IL2 box, I had a feeling that "what this box don't have, it does not exist"

- Flew few tests with different planes. This axis and rotary engines add so much immersion in game. you roll buttons from box and same kind buttons roll in cockpit :D

- I had this in use at inwar yesterday. I was more effective I guess :D

If you have warthog hotas or etc. And need some add ons. Dont waste your money to some ch or saitek quadrant because those have only few options what to map. Spare little cash and buy this and you get tons of options for use.
And one more thing. Its same height and little longer than hotas throttle so the trim buttons are easy to use while it is side of your throttle-console.

And yeah. You need this to be a proper pilot.

• Upvote 2

Could you pm me.  I'm not sure how to send one.

Hello RockyR!

Just place mouse cursor over my name on the left and then select  from the pop-up window "Send Message"! 

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori

GOOD NEWS!

I have finished negotiations with a laser cut and metal bending company in my home town Joensuu and now we have a good deal: The company is going to manufacture the metal boxes (not only cover) to the three different consoles to fighters (small), fighter-bombers (medium) and 2-motor bombers (large). I have now seven orders to the different type of consoles, so I must start a small manufacturing workshop with them.

Now I can use the dimensions what I want and not those default measures which the ready built black metal Hammond-chassises have. Top it off they had inch measures but  now I can make the autoCAD plans with the millimeters!  :) 

GVL224 has also modified his great mechanics levers' bodies about 10 mm smaller (all dimensions) but the levers are about same sizes. So I am soon publishing the final production plans to the different type of the metal consoles. I am also going to ask your opinions of the details and take notes of them!

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

Salutations,

I am very interested in your Fight-Bomber console but alas I can't currently afford it. I will begin saving.  :salute:

Hmm I am really liking the looks of that, think I might be interested as well...

Edited by dburne

The "true" bomber console is coming next to my design table, but I am waiting at first these GVL224's new double mechanic levers which are coming soon out. I am going to use them also in the fighter-bomber console, so the plan above is going to updated then: the RPM-levers and also throttle-lever are going to be much closer each other. This is the becoming double-lever mechanic:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/23758-iron-mechanic-throttle-motor-control-axes/?p=474177

The bomber console is going to have four levers side by side as you can see in the Ju88's cockpit: TWO throttle-levers in the middle (that GVL's new "double") and TWO (single ones) RPM-levers outside like this:
bomber_levers.jpg
Mostly the other functions in the "true" bomber console are same as with my bigger fighter-bomber plan. So if you fly 100% 2-motor bombers this is really your choice!

I have just ordered single mechanics from GVL224 that I can build at first couple of fighter consoles which are top of my order list. So be patient, please! ;)

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

UPDATED: TRUE BOMBER CONSOLE

I is becoming something like this, we are planning it with the 216th_Retnek very intensive, thanks to him and his good ideas!

The small metal cube "trimmer box" dimensions on the front end are 50 mm (high) x 50 mm (wide) x 65 mm (long). That is a good place for it, because the USB-interface is under it and inside the big metal shell: the four installment screws are both to the trimmer box and the USB-interface. There are very difficult to place anything else except some slim potentiometers to that area (as there are in the fighter and fighter-bomber consoles). This console's dimensions are now about 400 mm x 200 mm x 60 mm. I can plan it ready after GVL224 has his new mechanic levers ready. But what you think about this idea?  :salute: 

bomber_console-icon.jpg

P.S. I am just googling more different and cool/vintage lookind switches/buttons that they are also easy to find with "handle" without looking the console at all. I want to find for ex. different BIG switch type levers to the gears, airbrakes, flaps etc. Give me tips for them, please!

EDIT: I find a good  4-position switch to flare pistol selector (red-green-white-off). I can replace with this two on-off-on switches from every console. That chicken head knob is also nice looking! :)

mWZndzD_OsA7bTjA_7Y_hUg.jpg Davies2300clone.jpg

EDIT: Nice retro style trimmer knobs, diameter 50 mm:

s-l400.jpg

Autopilot turn left / turn right switch:

482036.jpg

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

:good:  it's a joy to be (the small) part of it! That design tries to offer a kind of generalized bomber console, the 4 levellers in line should be useful for 4-engine-bombers, too (one fine day!). The levellers and the trim-box divide it into 4 sectors, hopefully make it more easy to memorize and offer some orientation for locally blinded VR-pilots. A fine selection of retro-knobs will add to the fun, that 4-way-switch f.e. will be fine for the magnetos, too.

(hm - more knobs: is there any on-neutral-on-switch, staying neutral per default? Like the switch some bombers had at the stick to push the autopilot to the left or right!)

Edited by 216th_Retnek

is there any on-neutral-on-switch, staying neutral per default? Like the switch some bombers had at the stick to push the autopilot to the left or right!)

Is the (MON)-OFF-(MON) switch (momentary):

11 x On-Off-On momentary toggle switches

• Upvote 1

Is the (MON)-OFF-(MON) switch (momentary):

That's what I was looking for, thx. But there is always some danger in specialized knobs, too - it should not reduce the flexible lay-out of the console. But that kind of mon-off-mon-knob one can use for any kind of up-down or open-close switching.

Edited by 216th_Retnek

That's what I was looking for, thx. But there is always some danger in specialized knobs, too - it should not reduce the flexible lay-out of the console. But that kind of mon-off-mon-knob one can use for any kind of up-down or open-close switching.

Problem is that Bo'X has simplified controls options, basically to be operated with keyboard (momentary press), e.g press G for LG down, press G again for LG up,

so a ON-OFF or ON-OFF-ON (latch) switch  - unless for flaps that use separated input for Up and Down - make necessary a software to send commands in OF state of ON-OF switch, and even with this is easy re-fly with switches inverted relative planes cockpit switches, so a momentary (ON)-OF is more convenient and avoid use external software,

the drawback is that kind of switch don't give you a visual feedback if are in ON or OFF position because their lever always return to center.

Edited by Sokol1

PLAN PICTURES UPDATED!

All the three console plans (pictures) in the first post (and later) are updated once more... You can see some new rotary and toggle switch types which I have find from the internet and added to the schemes. Now the On-OFF switches and ON-OFF-On switches are different looking and you can separate them from each other. Also the big bomber console plan has progressed.

Please UPDATE the big plan pictures which are opening to the new browser windows!  :salute: 

Sokol1: Actually the bigger consoles' On-Off toggle switches gives you a visual feedback, because the Mjoy16 USB circuit board gives them TWO different functions: they are generating different button presses when switch is toggled “ON” and “OFF”. Normally when you move the switch back to OFF, it is generating anything. But  for example I can see from my console's  ON-OFF buttons position that are the gears up, tailwheel locked, navigation lights on etc.

To illustrate: Suppose we flip toggle switch 1 to “ON” position. It generates a brief Button 17 press. Then we flip it back to “OFF”. It generates Button 25 press. It’s like navigation lights On/Off.

P.S. This Fender Telecaster (guitar) microphone switch is good to gears and flaps levers, it's about 30 mm long and very heavy duty!   ;)

Top-hat_Switch_Knob_for_Tele.jpg
Edited by LLv32_Kanttori
  • Upvote 1

That image though! I was like "whooooooow great new console input" and "whoow, nice laser cutting quality", and then...

Fender Telecaster

That opens up a great new world of ideas of where to get parts for DIY projects. A whole Fenderized Flight Console (FFC) - with a whammy stick or two for some analog inputs as well! :D

Edited by ekr

That image though! I was like "whooooooow great new console input" and "whoow, nice laser cutting quality", and then...

That opens up a great new world of ideas of where to get parts for DIY projects. A whole Fenderized Flight Console (FFC) - with a whammy stick or two for some analog inputs as well! :D

:biggrin: