peregrine7

VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 5th/Jun/18

I thought I'd make a guide on improving your VR experience - I will update this post with suggestions from the community. Feel free to share your thoughts on graphics settings, vr setups and so on. 

• 3rd Party Tools 

MUST HAVE: Lefuneste's 3DMigoto mod 

This mod allows you to remove the prop disc, make the gunsight more visible, add increased zoom capability. 

Keybindings are a little challenging to set up on the joystick so I recommend using JoyToKey  to setup your controls for zoom.

I cannot say this enough, get this mod. You can play online with it just fine. 

RIFT: Open Composite provides far better (smoother) framerates than running through steamVR. However it does not provide the ability to disable advanced supersampling. Image clarity is slightly worse.

• Rift specific Tips

Whilst the Rift will work fine with sensor errors, CPU usage may be as much as 10x greater when issues are occurring. If possible, find a USB combination that allows the sensors to run without errors.

• Graphics and Visibility

In General we are mainly limited by CPU power, in particular single thread performance, bear this in mind if you're buying PC components

Passmark has a benchmark of CPU single thread performance, be sure that your CPU scores well here. It's still worth checking the CPU's regular score as well. Last note regarding CPUs, overclocking is a great way to improve single thread performance. Overclock safely, make sure your temps are ok and your system is stable though or else you'll end up going backwards. a "k" after the number designates an intel chip that can be overclocked so go for those.

There are two opposing methods of setting up graphics options - Do you want to be as competitive as possible, or do you want the game to look pretty and perform well?

Always target 45fps or more, less is not acceptable. FPS monitor can be brought up with [backspace], however it causes an FPS hit!

If you are setting up to be competitive   - Best spotting and FPS

Spoiler

SteamVR - Video                                        Manual Override: On                                           

SteamVR - Video                                       Game Resolution: 100%                              // Lower = better spotting.  1.0x resolution @ ~100%

In Game - Game                                                                        : 20km

In Game - Graphics                                              Resolution: 1280x720                       // Only changes how it looks on the monitor, lower = marginal performance gain

In Game - Graphics                                     General Setting: Balanced

In Game - Graphics                                                 Shadows: Low  

In Game - Graphics                                                    Mirrors: Simple                             //Having them on will save your neck!

In Game - Graphics                    Distant Landscape Detail: Normal                                      

In Game - Graphics                        Horizon Draw Distance: Either 40 or 70km          // Better spotting at 40km, better feeling of orientation at 70km.

In Game - Graphics                                   Landscape Filter: Blurry

In Game - Graphics                                       Clouds Quality: High                                  // Try High first, FPS greatly improved on Medium but spotting is harder

In Game - Graphics                                                       SSAO: OFF

In Game - Graphics                                                         HDR: OFF/ON*                          // Off is usually better - ON adds contrast but bloom must be turned off.

Game/data/Startup.cfg                                                     Bloom: OFF*  (0)                          // Removes the bloom that comes with HDR ON - set startup.cfg to read only

In Game - Graphics                                                  Sharpen: ON

In Game - Graphics                                   Use 4k Textures: ON                                      // Less stutter with setting ON   - nil performance impact

In Game - Graphics                                           Antialiasing:0x                                                //Makes game much more blurry - if you want less jaggies use pixel density.

In Game - Graphics                                                  Gamma: 1.0                                      // 0.8 Sometimes gives better spotting, but not always

DISABLE HUD WITH "H" for more FPS if you go below 45

* HDR adds contrast, good for spotting. Also introduces bloom (terrible for spotting, negates all benefits from HDR). Bloom can be disabled in startup.cfg, save and set startup.cfg to read only after making the changes. Altering any settings in game (including gamma, audio, not including keymapping) will turn the bloom back on.

Whereas if you want the game to look good and still get good performance

Spoiler

SteamVR - Video                                        Manual Override: On                                           

SteamVR - Video                                       Game Resolution: 100%-170%       // Lower = Better spotting.

In Game - Game                                                                        : 50km

In Game - Graphics                                              Resolution: 1280x720                // Only changes how it looks on the monitor, lower = marginal performance gain

In Game - Graphics                                     General Setting: Balanced/High

In Game - Graphics                                                 Shadows: Low  

In Game - Graphics                                                    Mirrors: Simple                     //Having them on will save your neck!

In Game - Graphics                    Distant Landscape Detail: X2                                     

In Game - Graphics                        Horizon Draw Distance: 70km                                         

In Game - Graphics                                   Landscape Filter: Off

In Game - Graphics                                       Clouds Quality: High                       // Try High first, FPS greatly improved on Medium but spotting is harder

In Game - Graphics                                                       SSAO: OFF

In Game - Graphics                                                         HDR: OFF/ON*                // ON = More contrast, better spotting, turns on bloom (boo, hiss)

Game/data/Startup.cfg                                                     Bloom: OFF* (0)                 // Removes the bloom - save and set startup.cfg to read only

In Game - Graphics                                                  Sharpen: OFF

In Game - Graphics                                   Use 4k Textures: ON                           // Less stutter with setting ON   - nil performance impact

In Game - Graphics                                           Antialiasing: If SteamVR Res = 66% 2x, if >66%  Off     //Don't double up SS and AA - huge performance impact

In Game - Graphics                                                  Gamma:  0.9/1.0                                       

DISABLE HUD WITH "H" for more FPS if you go below 45

* HDR's current implementation is bad for spotting. If you do wish to have it enabled make sure bloom is disabled in the config file.

Lastly, spotting contacts in clouds (whether in VR or on a monitor) is buggy. If you set the general graphics setting to high and cloud setting to high then the effect becomes drastically less noticeable

• A note on startup.cfg ({game}/data/startup.cfg)

A few of the settings in startup.cfg look very appealing, specifically the ability to fine set resolution and IPD (and therefore worldscale). It is worth noting that OR_width, OR_height, OR_IPD are nonfunctional regardless of the file being set as read-only. SteamVR overrules any changes to these settings.

I hope this helps -> If you find anything else useful please post it below. I will update this post with more useful information as it becomes available. 

Updated:

05/6/18 - Note about IPD, OR resolution settings in startup.cfg

16/5/18 - Graphics -> Resolution now shows correct 1.0x values for both Vive and Rift. SteamVR section removed (obsolete)

18/4/18 - Graphics -> Both -> HDR On, Bloom Off (startup.cfg), formatting

11/4/18 - Graphics -> More CPU tips, new Steamvr resolution guide. Cloud spotting tested and no difference. Rift specific enhancements updated

02/4/18 - Graphics -> Cloud spotting (untested)

01/4/18 - Split graphics into competitive and "pretty" options, added link to 3DMigoto. Cleaned up

15/4/17 - Re-arranged steamvr tweaks, added in collision boundry settings, added 3rd party tools section - terrain settings link

14/4/17 - Added resolution (in game settings) - updated anti-aliasing entry - added hud and HDR entries

Edited by peregrine7
HDR and Bloom
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 12

Thanks for this, will try some of the tricks. Also worth mentioning in this guide is how to remove the chaperone effect (blue ring visible in VR) - add a new line to the same Steamvr.vrsettings file:

"CollisionBoundsColorGammaA": 0

Thanks for this, will try some of the tricks. Also worth mentioning in this guide is how to remove the chaperone effect (blue ring visible in VR) - add a new line to the same Steamvr.vrsettings file:

Nice! Bit weird to have that there.

SteamVR tweaks are also working with Oculus?  Tnx.

Very nice tips!

I would also note for Rift users, one can easily set Pixel Density ( SuperSampling) in the Oculus software. Can also assign it per individual game.

Perhaps at some point in the future the devs will be able to add a Pixel Density setting in the game's graphics options for VR.

Which resolution do you use?

The best resolution is 1200x1080 (resolution of Vive and Occlus screen) but when I try to force it in the startup.cfg it change to 640x480 when I start the game. So I use 1920x1080 but it's not very optimized...

Which resolution do you use?

The best resolution is 1200x1080 (resolution of Vive and Occlus screen) but when I try to force it in the startup.cfg it change to 640x480 when I start the game. So I use 1920x1080 but it's not very optimized...

You should set your game resolution to you monitor's native resolution.

But why? I don't use my monitor but my VR headset, and the resolution is 1200x1080 for the Vive and Oculus. So who care about the monitor resolution?

But why? I don't use my monitor but my VR headset, and the resolution is 1200x1080 for the Vive and Oculus. So who care about the monitor resolution?

Yeah I just saw in another thread that it was mentioned in the 2.009 release notes a suggestion to lower monitor resolution for better performance, so I will have to give that a try. I missed that in my first reading of the notes.

For some reason I had been under the belief one should leave it at monitor native resolution since getting my Rift, but it does make sense one could lower it. I am definitely going to lower mine next time I fly and see if I notice any difference.

Hmm I tried lowering the resolution, but then my mouse loses ability to move down the screen very far in the HMD.

When I launch SteamVR (and nothing else) the CPU usage goes up to around 40% GPU usage to 90%+.

What kind of bug is this? Is there a fix?

I have an oculus, never used steamvr until 2 days ago.

CPU: 4790K

GPU:GTX1070

Thanks

Worked yesterday, but not today for some reason.  It's there in the VR settings file but doesn't do anything.

Hmm I tried lowering the resolution, but then my mouse loses ability to move down the screen very far in the HMD.

Same. I set the resolution to the lowest setting and suddenly I couldn't use my cursor except for a small portion of my HMD. Couldn't use most of the menu or even exit the game (exit button was below where my cursor would work). I'm leaving it at native resolution for now.

Even if the resolution in the in-game graphics menu is altered the resolution on the monitor (when running in VR mode) will be defined by steamvr. In my case this is 960x540.

Turn this up to 960x1080 (I think, double checking now) to get "full resolution" mirror output, if you're recording videos etc. 

EDIT: So it seems the game resolution is overriding that. Odd. Set it to anything higher than 800x600 (which will restrict mouse movement when logging in - but will be fine once you hit the main menu). Going from 1920x1080 to 800x600 netted me about 10-15% extra fps. 

Adding that to the post.

I should also note that changing resolution should never impact the resolution you see in VR. The resolution in the headset will always be full res. This is why external supersampling (like Nvidia's DSR) will not work in VR.

Edited by peregrine7

SteamVR tweaks are also working with Oculus?  Tnx.

Yes, it does, even supersampling but the values are off, "renderTargetMultiplier": 1.1 gives 1.65 in Rift and 1.01 ends 1.51 in Rift.

Worked yesterday, but not today for some reason.  It's there in the VR settings file but doesn't do anything.

I also noticed it still sometimes appears in cockpit, although is not visible most of the time.

Edit: Can i move my head position forward / up in VR? Only Num5 key works for centring, all other keys for pan or free head movement have no effect.

Edited by SevenFifty

Without AA in VR game looks terrible jagged.

AA in VR will primarily blur the game. Supersample (in steamvr) to remove jaggies.

For Oculus users, I recommend Oculus Tray Tool. Of particular interest is the ability to set super sampling (before starting SteamVR or the game), setting ASW mode (on the fly). There's also a performance HUD that helps you tweak your settings. There are several HUDs available, I use Performance. It renders two graphs, one shows the FPS, the other how much extra power you have above 90 FPS. The second number can be negative, in which case ASW is triggered (unless it's disabled).

The tool is available there: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

• Upvote 1

AA in VR will primarily blur the game. Supersample (in steamvr) to remove jaggies.

I have tried it, to me it just does not look near as good as with 4X AA. Even with running 1.8 SS.

For Oculus users, I recommend Oculus Tray Tool. Of particular interest is the ability to set super sampling (before starting SteamVR or the game), setting ASW mode (on the fly). There's also a performance HUD that helps you tweak your settings. There are several HUDs available, I use Performance. It renders two graphs, one shows the FPS, the other how much extra power you have above 90 FPS. The second number can be negative, in which case ASW is triggered (unless it's disabled).

The tool is available there: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully

I heartily second that!

I have been using OTT since shortly after getting my Rift in mid Jan, wonderful program and he just keeps making it better.

I have a Pixel Density profile set just for BoS.

I also use the Innatek PCIe powered USB 3.0 card for my Rift and Sensors, one niggle with it is that the driver for it resets power management to on with each new boot. The Tray Tool has an option to disable the power management for it on startup - works beautifully.

Power Management and Rift sensors/HMD do not play well together.

I agree. It might vary from system to system but AA makes things look a lot better for me I think, will only set it to medium and will have to see how it performs long term during a lot of action but I don't really like to turn it off. I keep SS at about 1.4. The thing I'm not sure about is how using AA or SS compares in terms of performance demand?

I have tried it, to me it just does not look near as good as with 4X AA. Even with running 1.8 SS.

Odd, note that going above 1.5x PPDP (Or RTT) will introduce things that look like aliasing (called supersampling speckle) and performance will plummet. If you have a beefy enough PC and you really hate speckling/aliasing you can of course use AA to remove it (at the cost of some visual clarity).

The sheer fact that you *can* run 1.8ss and 4xAA means you've got a good enough pc that most of this post is kinda meaningless.

Rift owner here. Do I need to set pixel density through both OTT and SteamVR, or is just setting it through the OTT ok? I'm curious since we need to run BoX through SteamVR, if it overides OTT settings?

Have you made sure to use a comma after the line? Should look something like this"

"CollisionBoundsColorGammaA": 0,   <-notice comma
 "CollisionBoundsStyle" : 4                   <-notice NO comma

Or, reversed,
 "CollisionBoundsStyle" : 4,

Regarding the tips, turn SSAO off, I think it's the biggest hit on performance. Also, Supersampling can be set in SteamVR (at least in the latest beta)in the Developer Settings, just scroll down. If you set it manually in the file, SteamVR must be turned off, otherwise it will just rewrite the file when you close. In any case, a SteamVR restart is required.

Turning Distant Grass off also helps, as does keeping distant detail at 3x and keeping the game on High settings, instead of max. 

• Upvote 1

Rift owner here. Do I need to set pixel density through both OTT and SteamVR, or is just setting it through the OTT ok? I'm curious since we need to run BoX through SteamVR, if it overides OTT settings?

Good question. I have manually edited steamVR's config file to remove the entry, I hope that means only OTT decides.

I will also recommend rift and vive users download "advanced settings" a plugin for steamvr. This allows you to do things like remove the blue box below you (by setting opacity to 0) so that you don't have to edit the config yourself.  It has a ton of useful features for steamvr. 

You can just set it in the OTT.

I have a profile for IL2.exe in the Tray Tool that sets my Pixel Density upon the game's startup.

Seems to work great.

You can set the size of the menu panel in startup.cfg (...Battle Of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg)

or_hud_rad = 1.0000
	or_hud_size = 0.9

The first line controls how curvy the panel is, the lower the rounder.

The second line controls the size of the panel.

I wish there was a parameter for the distance too, because I feel a bit of eye strain that I think is due to crossing my eyes more than I would like. That, or it's just too much VR usage.

For anyone having issues with terrible frame rate and low GPU usage, make sure you are not using the SteamVR beta. On the rift this made a huge difference. It still doesn't fully utilize my GPU for some reason, but frame rates are a lot more consistent and higher.

My specs are i5 6500 @4.4ghz and GTX 1070.

I can't get 90fps anywhere near the ground when graphics are set to high, sharpen is turned on, and everything else is disabled (no SS either). Gpu utilization is generally around 60% and cpu utilization is fairly low as well.

Edited by hankstr

My settings are "everything off" except sharpen. And game quality on LOW. But I use the terrain file to hijack the settings and have 10 LODs at 4096. Grass is at 0. Nicer terrain and good frame rates. Screen resolution for game is 1280×720 on the monitor.

• Upvote 1

You can just set it in the OTT.

I have a profile for IL2.exe in the Tray Tool that sets my Pixel Density upon the game's startup.

Seems to work great.

Thanks dburne! I have a profile setup as well.

For anyone having issues with terrible frame rate and low GPU usage, make sure you are not using the SteamVR beta. On the rift this made a huge difference. It still doesn't fully utilize my GPU for some reason, but frame rates are a lot more consistent and higher.

My specs are i5 6500 @4.4ghz and GTX 1070.

I can't get 90fps anywhere near the ground when graphics are set to high, sharpen is turned on, and everything else is disabled (no SS either). Gpu utilization is generally around 60% and cpu utilization is fairly low as well.

Hum I'm running beta and it seems fine but maybe cause I'm on the VIVE? I never check fps counters though as they drive people mad, I just go by whether or not for me it seems fluid and for me very much so. I think someone once said something that moving SS (in steam beta) up to about 6 seemed to more fully utilize their GPU.

I got SS to 1.4 AA to 4x on high graphics with everything else off GTX 980 Ti, I74770. Sharpen looks terrible for me but is better for spotting, though I just spot by shape of the AC.

Does the non beta steam VR still use the exact same re-reprojection method now?

My settings are "everything off" except sharpen. And game quality on LOW. But I use the terrain file to hijack the settings and have 10 LODs at 4096. Grass is at 0. Nicer terrain and good frame rates. Screen resolution for game is 1280×720 on the monitor.

Could you expand on that? Where is the terrain file. I'd like to add custom graphics to the original post.  Found a good post on it (adding to OP)

I'll add 3rd party apps to the original post (OTT) and startup.cfg tips.

Edited by peregrine7

I changed my settings to be similar and it works great.  Editing the terrain file makes a massive difference in realism.  Thanks for the tip.

But I use the terrain file to hijack the settings and have 10 LODs at 4096.

How do you do that? Have you a tutorial or a link which explain how to do that? Thanks.

For Vive user you can use this program (need Java) to change supersampling for each game without editing manually your steamvr file : 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51jnky/steam_enhanced_vr_launcher_per_app_supersampling/

Presentation : http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/apps-software/jon-martindale/steam-enhanced-vr-launcher-opens-up-per-app-supersampling/

Edited by -IRRE-Wibration

How do you do that? Have you a tutorial or a link which explain how to do that? Thanks.

For Vive user you can use this program (need Java) to change supersampling for each game without editing manually your steamvr file :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51jnky/steam_enhanced_vr_launcher_per_app_supersampling/

Presentation : http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/apps-software/jon-martindale/steam-enhanced-vr-launcher-opens-up-per-app-supersampling/

I'll post something this afternoon.

So do you mean you set SS to high and everything else off?

Myself I am on 800x600 everything off except 2x AA which is quite hard to let go (though I know it would be best) SS set to 6 and graphics on balanced at the moment. It looks great and seems to perform great but then it hasnt exactly been taxed yet. On full AA I was getting very occasional steam VR background flashes. The only thing about VR is I spend more time tweaking with the settings than actually playing, I'm not a graphics whore but I do find to many jaggies very hard to put up with in VR.

My ultilisation is terrible for my GPU when using my Rift.. Only getting maybe 55-65% max.. Cpu is putting along at 20% but its dipping below 90 and going to 45 on ATW.. 

strange.. going to compare to my VIVE

Anyone able to consistently get 90 plus framerates? I can't seem to pass 89. In VR that is.

Edited by Beazil