StG77_Darbzy

How to navigate with no GPS (For beginners)

A video I made to assist people with no previous navigation experience on how to navigate on servers with no GPS enabled.

I used all free software including GeForce experience, Windows Movie Maker, TeamSpeak3 voice record function and the TinyTake app to make the video so I apologise if it's a bit clunky.

There's a 1000 ways to skin a cat, this is just the way I like to do it, so feel free to comment if any clarification is needed.

Cheers,

Darbzy

http://il2missionplanner.com/

Edited by 19//Darbzy
  • Upvote 9

that was an excellent explanation!   quite educational even for the more experienced of us as well

I loved the idea of using the map cursor to keep your last known position - that's very clever, since it wont move off with the map closed, even if you accidentally flick the mouse while flying (not sure about using your turrets though)

and many funny moments too! lol, that 109!

and extra bonus points for having me in it! yay! that's my plane there with number 70

Edited by 19//Moach

Cheers Moach, glad you liked it. I find moving the cursor along on the in-game map to track my position is easier than bringing up the mission planner map all the time - it's one less button push. ('O' as opposed to 'ALT/TAB')

I thought I was screwed (again) when I got bounced by the 109, lucky the old girl held together and my gunner bagged him with his last belt of ammo!

Very helpful video Darbzy. Well done!

How nice I catched this thread!

This is exactly what I came looking for. I'm a beginner in BoX and I'm figuring out my ways in the sim. I didn't want to depend on markers in the map, so I was wondering how pilots to things around. This video made it for me. Right after watching it, I stepped into my plane and about an hour later I'm coming back with a smile in my face and a lesson learned. Thanks for the video!!!

Now, if I can add something along the same lines:

Whenever I know where I am, I take mental note about the map square and the time my cockpit watch reads. I can easily be distracted while flying and suddely I don't know where I am. So I calculate how far have I reached using the formula given in the video (speed/60 = km that I fly per minute). Then I just count how many Km I have traveled from my last position. I did that and, assuming I was right, I looked the map for the nearest airfield, corrected my course and... voilá! I found the airfield (and myself).

I'm happy because I've never been very successful at dead reckoning in other sims. This, together with an awesome map, has just made my immersion much, much deeper today.

I see good times ahead for me in IL-2.

Edited by Sergi0

Thanks Sergio, very kind words. Sorry the video is a bit clunky but I was (am) still learning the black arts of video editing. Dead reckoning is fine if you know the map like the back of your hand but otherwise taking a few moments to draw some lines on the map pays off big time. You can spend more time looking outside and 'fighting' the aircraft instead of always stressing about where you are and being heads down looking at your map. Plus, I think navigating is quite fun and rewarding too - as you seem to have found out!

S!

Darbzy

It all was very nicely put accross. I was so focused on the information I had no complaints about the video at all ☺