Han

Developer Diary, Part 154 - Discussion

Hello everybody,

First, let's start with a short overview of the current development progress. We prepare for beta-test of the new version 2.009 release candidate. Implementation of the Open VR API is nearly finished and we're 'polishing' the new features, including some that aren't directly related to VR. In the meantime, engineer department works on IL-2 mod. 1943 and Spitfire MkVb flight models, while artists are making 3D models of Hs-129 and Yak-7b.

Here comes the main hero of the today Dev Diary - IL-2 mod. 1943 aiming sight. Starting from early 1943, PBP-1 collimator sights were gradually replaced by simple VV-1 (Vizier Vasilyeva - first) mechanical sights on IL-2s. It is commonly believed that PBP-1 aiming sights caused many injuries during emergency landings that were especially frequent among Sturmovik pilots. While being very simple from a technological point of view, this aiming sight actually was more capable than VV-1 was. For example, it could be used for:
aiming at air targets;
aiming rockets at ground targets from different distances;
low altitude level bombing.
Today we'll tell you how to aim using VV-1 sight.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread
  • Upvote 6

Interesting stuff, Han. I've always wondered what the white markings on IL-2 cowlings were for, and now I know.

Very interesting and precise! good work!

This Il2 is a wonderful peace of combat plane!

Always been the quintessential version of the IL-2 in my eyes, can't wait to fly her. 

Always been the quintessential version of the IL-2 in my eyes, can't wait to fly her. 

Yep, that's the plane!

Well I sure hope we get to fly this aircraft by tomorrow, and I dare hoping for a Spitfire but I'm afraid VR stuff might have slowed things down.

Sounds like VR is coming along and we are getting close!

Really looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

Great info!

Cant wait for the IL-2 Mod 43. I love that plane.

Nice explanation

The gun and bombsight? Didn't understand a word of that on first reading - but I really am going to have fun working it out. Looking forward to it. Cheers.

Very informative and helpful explanation of the VV1-sight, that was nice to read  :salute:

Looking forward for 2.009 of course, very interesting to see how VR works with BoS. 

Well I sure hope we get to fly this aircraft by tomorrow, and I dare hoping for a Spitfire but I'm afraid VR stuff might have slowed things down.

Tomorrow? Not likely. The DD says, that they are about ready to begin beta test of the 2.009 release candidate, which means anything from 4-5 days up to two weeks.

Now we just need the PTAB bombs!

Has anything been said reagrding those bombs? will they come with the il2 1943 or will the come later on?

Since Han specifically describes the procedure for dropping PTAB using the VV1 sight, it seems like we'll get them now.

The gun and bombsight? Didn't understand a word of that on first reading - but I really am going to have fun working it out. Looking forward to it. Cheers.

So it was not just me, felt like startup procedure in DCS, I am guessing I will spend a lot of times in QMB figuring this out

curious question:

what are those lights on top of the panel, where the gunsight used to be on the older models?  

curious question:

what are those lights on top of the panel, where the gunsight used to be on the older models?  

Red, white and green. Press to fire flares? :o:

I want my old gunsight back!! :grumpy:

Honestly though: great job, also on the explainations!

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Wow, impressed with that gun/rocket/bomb sight explanation - fantastic job, Han.  Thanks!  You gotta love the ingenuity/simplicity.  Another top notch update!

Just realised my ignorance. Spent untold hours in the original IL2 all those years ago not knowing what those curved lines were for.

This just brought back one of the most amazing memories of the detail in the original.

Doing a straffing run on a river I got shot down and belly landed in the river along side of a pier. The a/c sank to the bottom of the shallow river. The river bed was large pebbles. Not long after settling on the bottom, the a/c rumbled down the gentle under water slope to the deepest part of the river. On its way down the pebbly bottom rumbled and barnacles were visible on the under warer timber work of the pier.

I am really tempted to order oculus or vive....

2nd gen of vr is very far out right?

Great explanation on the sights and plane markings.

It's always good to learn something new.

:salute:  

I want my old gunsight back!! :grumpy:

Honestly though: great job, also on the explainations!

Like Bones from Star Trek always claimed. "Engineers love to change things."

• Upvote 1

Now we just need the PTAB bombs!

Has anything been said regarding those bombs? will they come with the il2 1943 or will the come later on?

WIP

Very cool update! I'm looking forward to checking out the new IL-2 Model 1943. I know it's not the aircraft getting all the attention right now but it's a workhorse that I'll be flying a fair bit!

Almooost there......stay on target.....

• It's away!

• It's an update!

• Negative. I didn't update. It was just a DD...

• Upvote 1

The wiki article is sparse. Could someone knowledgeable explain PTAB bombs please?

Albino

A lot of effort put in to that tutorial. It will make a good reference; thank you for your hard work.

The wiki article is sparse. Could someone knowledgeable explain PTAB bombs please?

Albino

2 words: cluster bombs

more than 2 words:

PTAB were small bomblets that the russians used during ww2, an IL2 coould destroy every tank and vehicle in a 30m wide and 500m long corridor with these bombs, if i remember correctly.

Needless to say it will probably be the most effective anti tank weapon in game.

But the german Mk 103 cannon should be quite good also, BoK will see a lot more dead tanks than the games before.^^