hames123

Should I get the Ju52?

I was a big supporter of the Ju52 when it came out, and I am thinking of getting it now(as a student, money can be a little tight). I was wondering how useful it is in multiplayer and what kind of missions a Ju52 pilot would be given in the campaign or career, and thus wheather I should get it.

Short answer: Yes.

Lang answer: If you really like the Ju 52 and supported it from the beginning you'll surely love it. It's one of the most fun aircraft to fly in the sim atm and also sports a good variety of missions (depending on the mission you can either transport cargo from A to B, airdrop cargo canisters or paratroopers). The only thing that might be lacking atm is the MP mission design since some off the types are not properly supported atm, means they don't give you points (but are fun nonetheless).

Can't really talk about the campaign since I don't play it, but Gambit is working on a free release campaign for the Ju 52 with great dedication to immersion.

Excellent Flight Dynamics, and yes can be useful to drop paratroopers...

Yes, you should. Although i don't fly it that often (Don't fly anything a lot at the moment, but that another story..), it's just a great plane to have and use from time to time when the mood strikes you. The cockpit it very nice and gives it a rather special feel to it. I don't see myself using it online or in ten upcoming career mode because for me the lack of real combat is a thing. For others that might be totally different though. All in all it's a real collectersplane that you should own regardless. 

Grt M

Phew, it's a cute plane, nice to fly, good Flightmodel and all, but borderline useless in Multiplayer. 1) Not every server and mission even provides a missiontype for it. 2) You're just a slow, big, tasty snack for me most part 3) This plane only thrives in cooperative situations where you go out as a flight and have reasonable fightercover. Both are hard to get if you're not flying as a squad.

If you are fine with those limitations: Yeah, sure, go for it.

I wrote a whole thing about the Ju52 (https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/reviewing-the-ju523m/) but I think in short its a fun addition to the series and it was implemented really well. It actually has things to do rather than just being a non-combat aircraft with a target painted on its back.

I haven't seen it online much (I'm sure there are places) but offline its a lot of fun. Or at least it is if you like flying and don't mind not being at the fore of a combat operation. You'll still see combat but as a target requiring some deft flying to avoid being shot down.

Not particular usefull... But still a lot of fun to fly..Nice soundeffects too...

How in the world can you claim that it isn't particularly useful? Because it doesn't have forward firing guns..?

The Ju 52 has proven itself to be incredibly useful for fleshing out the MP experience.

You should get it just for the occasional enjoyment and because it supports the sim's development.

But it's fugly as hell and I'm never going to try it so I haven't bought it.  So there.

von Tom

I like shooting them down... Flying them, not so much. I always feel like a sitting duck.

• Upvote 1

Get it if you were one of the crowd who misled dev to make this into a flyable one with no concrete monetary benefit.

Dont get it if you want to be [Edited] and dont want to have a plane no one flies except those loud minority.

Just shoot the JU52 down. They move the same -ai or human controlled.

Get A3 or 1B or BOK if your resources are tight and dont want to take responsibility of asking this to be a flyable one.

Edited by Bearcat
Language.

Flying Transport missions or Paradrops with the Tante Ju will give you comletely new ways to enjoy that wonderfull game.Of course,it is no suitable plane for all those Hartmanns out there.First rule in Tante Ju is:

Fly smart and don`t let them get you!

Then you will have a lot of fun when you land safe and hit the "unload" button while all the fighter aces up there are still staring holes into the blue sky! :)

More fun to shoot these slow planes down.

Just have AI planes to fly JU52 and go at them.

I have seen maybe two so far in multiplayer who flew JU52.

Yes they quit after 5 mins and get into a bomber or a fighter afterwards.

Buy the plane if you asked for it.

Don, i see what you mean. I aint no hartmann fyi. I mostly fly bombers in multiplayers as long as 3 monitor bombing capavility isnt hindered.

That said, selling and promoting of this plane really should be done by the loud minority mob who is responsible but in denials.

Absolutely yes and I can ensure you that a very well made campaign will be arriving at some point ;)

Also career will be coming soon and I cant wait for that while flying the Tante Ju in Kuban

GET IT

Edited by 6./ZG26_McKvack

I have seen quite a lot of Ju 52s especially on the TAW server.
Sinned your tone is quite aggressive, though I understand where its coming from and that you mean well.
But is it true that the Ju 52 was so bad economicaly for the devs?
Personaly i have seen a lot of them fly in MP and guess  that even more people bought it who are flying the plane seldomly or manily in SP.
I really hope this plane paid off for the devs and I will eventualy get it, though money is tight and I recently decided to support IL2 by preodering BOK.

Edited by =ARTOA=Bombenleger
  • Upvote 2

But is it true that the Ju 52 was so bad economicaly for the devs?

I have not seen anyone actually say that except from thoughts so we dont know. All I have seen on this forum indicates that it might have goon well as so many people seems to like it and talk about it compared to some other premium aircrafts 

Edited by 6./ZG26_McKvack
  • Upvote 1

I think the support is not so much for the plane but more for the type of plane.IMO Transports add a lot of variety to the gameplay.I was flying fighters and bombers for many years in Il2 1946 and BoS and I enjoy this new way of playing this game very much.

Yea it really brings a new perspective to the game.

I think as soon we see some campaigns which are coming and the career more which will add more "in depth" singleplayer gameplay, more people will buy it. So looking forward flying in mountain valleys in the 52

Sinned...did the Ju52 steal your woman or something? It sounds personal. Many(3) civ. pilot friends of mine only bought this game to fly the JU52.

Guest deleted@30725

Can you do troop pickups yet. I was thinking the other day how cool it would if in mp or sp you could pickup injured troops, taking in a 109 as cover. Give fighter pilots something else to project.

It's a feature we don't have, but the idea that in multiplayer or sp that airfields have limited resources of fuel and weapons requiring the ju pilots to drop supplies to enable fighter pilots to continue using the airbase. It's basically a variation on the base capture as now. Exclude tanks from this mode too maybe. Something else like drop x number of supplies in Stalingrad for x number of points or something. I'm thinking details on the fly here.

If we could do more things like this I would consider buying it because sometimes it's fun to put down the bullets and contribute to the war effort in different ways. Bit of coding required though, but you could probably implement a ragged version without any new assets like a certain sim where you carry invisible troops in your helicopter.

Edited by deleted@30725

Can you do troop pickups yet. I was thinking the other day how cool it would if in mp or sp you could pickup injured troops, taking in a 109 as cover. Give fighter pilots something else to project.

You can somewhat do that with the trigger system but of course without really taking troops on board or unloading them. Would be nice to have a Medevac modification with proper game mechanics instead although with some improvisation you can get similar missions working right now.

As for the 'I can't see them in MP' people, that's not an issue of the aircraft but rather the (very digfight heavy) servers that punish you for actually doing usefull tasks. I still see some from time to time flying on DED. Of course they're not flying high above the ground in the middle of dogfight areas hence why some might not see them.

Anyway, since the OP is referring to SP this argument is pointless regardless.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Can any of the extra "bonus" planes be bought one at a time regardless of whether you bought BOS or BOM?

I like shooting them down... Flying them, not so much. I always feel like a sitting duck.

Pretty much this.

Can any of the extra "bonus" planes be bought one at a time regardless of whether you bought BOS or BOM?

as long as you have 1 of the main games BoS/M/K you can buy any of the collector planes, they have been offered together with standalone games but can also be bought and used separately.

I can't see any point in attacking people who like a particular plane.

;)

Nor in making repeated, obnoxious, non-productive, ignorant, trollish posts about it.

• Upvote 1

Don't buy it just yet...I know somebody who has a couple Ju-52 licenses to give away.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it's worth it, it can be a nice relaxing aircraft to fly, especially as you can trim it out nice an level and steer with your feet as you sit back with a beer. In the campaign, you can fly special force paratrooper drop mission, or transport missions in which you need to drop supply canisters, or land and drop off supplies. As someone who likes flying at tree top level, it is quite enjoyable, especially in an aircraft this size. 

Fun plane to fly!

It's glory might emerge when career mode and coop mode arrive, so far few servers run it mostly as objective(targets).

For now i would suggest fw-190a3 or yak-1b so you can paticipate on both sides making ballance on servers, or bom/bok,

I bought it to support devs and rarely use it but still it is fun plane.

It would be cool to run server with abbility to send dozen of ju-52 over enemy airfield to drop paratroops with fighter cover

G, it will be personal if these delusional loud minority keep ask for poor products that mislead dev-for their own satisfaction of "plane to like" and ask for planes that they dont buy.

Look at below thread about some vvs transport plane and "how wonderful it is to fly and dev should make them".

I want this series to succeed and i want to see Pacific. Idiotic people and products are risk to my personal entertainment.

G, it will be personal if these delusional loud minority keep ask for poor products that mislead dev-for their own satisfaction of "plane to like" and ask for planes that they dont buy.

Look at below thread about some vvs transport plane and "how wonderful it is to fly and dev should make them".

I want this series to succeed and i want to see Pacific. Idiotic people and products are risk to my personal entertainment.

Jesus Christ, dude. Take a chillpill already. If the Ju-52 was not profitable (and since we don't have access to 1Cs sale documents, we simply don't know how well it was received comparatively), they just won't create a similar aircraft again and focus on stuff that's more profitable, i.e. bombers and especially fighters. Are you seriously thinking the devs will create products that don't sell well, cause a tiny fraction of forum users, which are in turn a tiny fraction of overall users, ask for it? The Ju-52 was asked for a lot and was the first and maybe the last test of the profitability of non-standard collector planes, and they will, like everybody doing business, react according to the sales figutes and reception of the product. If they're not capable of doing that, then we have bigger problems than a bit of wasted effort into a single transport plane. So I suggest you let these people discuss their experiences with the plane in peace and stop getting your knickers in a twist about it, especially since you don't know who asked for it, did or didn't buy it or whatever.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of getting the plane, sure, that's what this thread is about, and there is definitely something to be said about the plane not really having a relevant place in the game, but right now you're walking on the path of "hobo angrily shouting at pigeons and throwing beer cans at pedestrians" instead of actually making arguments about the topic at hand. Might wanna change that.

Edited by JG4_Etherlight
  • Upvote 7

And I think adding a Russian transport would be good for the sim and the community.

• Upvote 2

More fun to shoot these slow planes down.

Trying to survive in a Ju-52 is a lot more interesting than shooting one down, in my experience.

The OP is the only Ju-52 supporter I've seen who hasn't bought it yet, and he's already told us that the only reason he hasn't bought it already is because of how tight money is for him. I would hardly call him delusional.

I want this series to succeed and i want to see Pacific.

Well, both BoS and BoM made enough money to fund another expansion, and have been well received, especially recently, so I would call the series a success. Chances are that BoK will have similar success, if not more, and the Pacific will be next, so you will probably have what you want.

Idiotic people and products are risk to my personal entertainment.

Personal insults are banned by the forum rules, so you may wish to refrain from calling the OP idiotic and delusional. As he has already explained, his current financial situation means that he does not have a lot of money to spend on things like video games.

Edited by Cybermat47

Yep for sure! I'm guessing we'll see a few more of these Collector Planes independent of a specific product come down the pipe later on.

You should know too that the Ju52 fits the Battle of Moscow and Battle of Stalingrad campaigns very well while the Yak-1B Series 127 is not yet implemented in any campaigns yet. It will fit the Battle of Kuban timeline best.

Hello Ether,

"Hobo angrily shouting at pigeons and throwing beer cans" - thats a good analogy. I like it. Gave me a good laugh. Your points taken. i will grab beer cans again if i see ppl asking for stuff they wont buy themselves again.

Or as another option, simply cease with your current behavior altogether.

• Upvote 1