Han

Developer Diary, Part 153 - Discussion

Hello everybody,

While we were preparing this Dev Diary, sad news arrived - Soviet test pilot Stepan Anastasovich Mikoyan who fought in the battle of Stalingrad passed away in Moscow at age 95.
It is very sad that such a veteran is no longer with us. We are grateful for his defense of the Motherland and his enormous contribution for aviation development.We are proud that we knew him and he helped us in the development.
While VR implementation is going according to the plan, we have good news from engineer department and its head AnPetrovich for you. As we mentioned earlier, we decided to spend a huge chunk of time reserved for flight model corrections and improvements on a very important and big task - improving the aircraft reaction to rudder input. 
Thank you for reading this wall of text. For a welcome change from it, here are IL-2 mod. 1943 (which flight model is being developed right now) skins our artists prepared:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 9

I see there are roll characteristic corrections for all of the 109 variants... When will Yak and LaGG roll characteristics be reviewed?

While we correct aerodynamic parameters of one aircraft after another, we will be making additional changes - we'll tell you about each plane in detail.

• Upvote 6

While we correct aerodynamic parameters of one aircraft after another, we will be making additional changes - we'll tell you about each plane in detail.

Thanks for pasting something that I already read. 

That doesn't answer my question.

• Upvote 1

Soviet test pilot Stepan Anastasovich Mikoyan who fought in the battle of Stalingrad passed away in Moscow at age 95. It is very sad that such a veteran is no longer with us.

I do not mourn his passing - I celebrate his life!

Very good diary entry. You go above and beyond. Thank you all!

• Upvote 2

Splendid DD. I'm very much looking forward to trying this improved FM out in the future (I'm taking that it isn't coming with the next update already?)

Some cool skins for the IL-2 as well.

Great news today for the amelioration of FM (improved FM). It's always pleasant to see them working whenever they get the time to improve their product .

Edited by 4./JG52_Manu653

Very interesting. It's good to hear you managed an FM task as big as this one, looking forward to see the results in game!

• Upvote 2

Seems the unique gunsight is to be of the old style that was common in 1946, a crosshair painted onto the canopy with a front sight post mounted on the nose outside the cockpit.

RIP Stepan Anastasovich Mikoyan. Another veteran goes away, that is sad but at least he did not died during the war. Time is going so fast! the future is already here.

Good job on improving the FM, this is an endless process. You guys very rock!

The Il2 looks very realistic, we feel that it really is a flying tank.

Seems the unique gunsight is to be of the old style that was common in 1946, a crosshair painted onto the canopy with a front sight post mounted on the nose outside the cockpit.

Not painted, wireframe sight IIRC

So great to hear that y'all are really putting in the effort to make things as accurate as possible.

I can't wait to try it all out, especially the oscillation that I've always felt was too pronounced.

This makes me want to buy my last collector plane even though I probably won't ever use it

Sorry to hear of the passing of Stepan Anastasovich Mikoyan.  I am glad you were able to utilize this man's expertise in the development of this sim.  Interesting that this man has made contributions right up to the end.  Thank you for that Mr. Mikoyan.  At ease sir.

Thank you for the update.

Devs diarys like today one are among most significant reasons why I bought all recent 777 1C products in pre orders.

• Upvote 2

Its these fixes and tune ups that make this sim the greatest. Without them we'll be stuck with broken planes.

Hopefully one day it'll be as close to the real thing as possible #4K-VR

Very slightly OT...Down Memory Lane Dept.about a thousand years ago ( actually circa 1963:)

today looking at the images of the !L-2 1943 Mod,my mind was flung back to a time when I was very busy building nearly all of the available 1/72nd scale Airfix WW-2 kits.Models of Russian planes of this era were comparatively rare ( i can only remember the I-16 Rate ,a pretty little kit from Revell...) There just wasn't too much interest in WW-2 Russian aircraft at the time. When Airfix announced in RAF Flying Review the upcoming  Il-2 I ordered one along with several new Airfix kits from England.About a month later the kits arrived along with a new issue of the same magazine which had a modeling section that just happened to review the new Sturmovik kit.I do remember they were mightly disappointed ,not only with some glaring inaccuracies in general profile & wing shape etc., but even more so with the choice of the 1943 model instead of perhaps the 1941 or 1942 models which were more familiar ( I am not sure what numbers were built of each of these...) I do remember building the kit anyway ( inspite of the many raised rivets and other obvious visual problems.It wasn't very pretty & the longer canopy did take it away from its looks compared to most of the few pictures we'd seen of this Russian aircraft .)

Then cometh IL-2 Sturmovik Flight Sim  in the new 21rst Century ( 2001/2002?) and boy have we seen alot of the ubiquitous Il-2's since then haven't we? Then ( and now BoS ,BoM,and the future BoK) came this new incantation of the franchise when its beautiful modeling & eye-candy & today that old friend (?) the Il-2 Mod 1943. It has been a long time since that model review, but you know i think they got it right ;the earlier models are more aesthetically pleasing but I'm guessing was a more pleasant experience for the rear gunners in the Mod'43...

( I wonder if Airfix ever went back to their old Il-2 kit & cleaned it up or even perhaps re-did it to an earlier model...hmmmm?)

Edited by Blitzen

Good to hear VR implementation is still going according to plan, anxiously looking forward to this!

• Upvote 1

Sorry for this old man how did die, a hero of war, there are less and less of those.

But like always there is great news about the quest of perfection in this game, thanks. :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

Awesome work guys! You're doing a great job, constantly making the sim better. Some time ago I was even quiting this sim as some of my friends, but you are really fixing the wrongs and making the FMs and basically everything really enjoyable and realistic. Well done and I wish you success!!

How about the performance optimization?

Even more performance optimization? The guys passed the game to 64bit DirectX 11 already dude :lol: Maybe a new GPU would be good?

I fully rely on the criteria of the developers of 1C and 777

We hope that small details of the 109 will also be corrected, for example:

-slats deployed in the ground

post-3809-0-57975200-1490374273_thumb.jpg

post-3809-0-80015600-1490374335_thumb.jpg

Good new and Thx

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

This makes me want to buy my last collector plane even though I probably won't ever use it

Check your account - you may have a 50% off voucher so no reason not to ;).

----

Really interesting about the flight model updates too

Check your account - you may have a 50% off voucher so no reason not to ;).

----

Really interesting about the flight model updates too

Not for the Yak-1B, but I don't even care right now lol

If the discussion gets ugly as it often does I'll just close it.

Jason

This is a welcome development. The manner in which some aircraft handle, especially the rudder coupling model combined with the landing characteristics were keeping me from participating. The landing gear behavior changes have helped, and now the rudder and other FM issues will be addressed. OUTSTANDING!

Building a simulator that works well given the limitations of a desktop PC using a wide variety of controllers is a difficult problem. The fact that the developers are adamant about achieving excellence speaks volumes and is to be applauded loudly.

This sim has massive potential and this development is huge for expanding the user base. Well done.

Edited by Victory205
  • Upvote 1

Awesome work guys! You're doing a great job, constantly making the sim better. Some time ago I was even quiting this sim as some of my friends, but you are really fixing the wrongs and making the FMs and basically everything really enjoyable and realistic. Well done and I wish you success!!

Even more performance optimization? The guys passed the game to 64bit DirectX 11 already dude :lol: Maybe a new GPU would be good?

In dev. 150 they said they spent a chunk of time to optimze the performance to make VR more fluent

So good that you guys are this dedicated to making the sim the best it can be and nice timing so the coming VR experience will be even more immersive.

We must be one of the luckiest gaming communities out there.

• Upvote 2

On top of the IL2 nose.... the white arcs.... what are they for?

Can't remember how they are used, but IIRC they are for aiming the rockets.

Can't remember how they are used, but IIRC they are for aiming the rockets.

This information would be incredibly useful to have if anyone cares to pass it on.

Sad news about Stepan Anastasovich passing away. I will have a сто грамм on him this evening.  Героям cлава!

This information would be incredibly useful to have if anyone cares to pass it on.

Not sure they are functional in game. They would have to be drawn pretty damn accurate on the skin to be of any use.