decipher

Separate Control Settings per Aircraft

hello!

i am relatively new to BoS/BoM, but have been flying the il-2 series and other (combat) flight sims for many years.

Since there is an ever growing number of very different Aircraft available to fly in BoS/BoM, for me it would be essential to have a way to easily save/load separate Control Layouts for individual Planes.

The best way to manage this would be an automatic system, that allows the user to set up a different control scheme for each aircfraft model (just like it is available in RoF - i hope it is ok to reference to this) - which will get loaded seamlessly before you start a mission. this way you can have all your button assignments and axis settings ready, especially needed if you switch between fighter and bomber airplanes, which will need a very different set of controls on my HOTAS system.

the minimum solution for this would be to have a proper "load/save" controls layout option available in the settings, where the user can manually save the current control scheme and give it a proper filename (for each plane - or aircraft type), and just load the one he needs for his next sortie.

i think this would be beneficial for a lot of people, and with the upcoming (and very eagerly awaited) pacific extension for me this becomes a necessity for fully utilizing the sim.

i guess until a feature like this is implemented there is a work around by copying over some ini / config files, where the controller scheme is stored in? if anyone knows the exact files that need to be copied, please share!

thanks for your time and i hope some other people will find this suggestion worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

The files should be one of these

By community request, here is a short instruction on how to preserve key and axis bindings (for example, in a case of a complete reinstall):

1. You need to back up these files:
<game_folder>\data\input\current.actions
<game_folder>\data\input\current.devices
<game_folder>\data\input\current.map
<game_folder>\data\input\current.responses
<game_folder>\data\input\devices.txt
2. In case of installing from scratch, restore these files from your backup, replacing the existing ones.
3. This would work if you have the same controllers connected.

Somewhere I read that the Dev's are aware of this limitation and want to have a look at changes, however at present the time allocated for such was felt to be better spent on AI and FM changes and other things from the "roadmap" in DD#120 that are felt to be more urgent/needed

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

i guess until a feature like this is implemented there is a work around by copying over some ini / config files, where the controller scheme is stored in? if anyone knows the exact files that need to be copied, please share!

For now the way to do this - outside of game GUI - seems use JSGME: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/26998-key-mapping-profile-switching/?do=findComment&comment=427227ing

• Upvote 1

thanks to both of you for the work-around tips. indeed very helpful, still a feature i really would love to see in the future.

• Upvote 1

Necro'ing this old thread rather than making my own on this topic.    Having purchased Bodenplatte, and getting into the territory of gyroscopic gunsights, and the adjustable turbocharger of the jug,   my control needs for individual aircraft vary.   Using a combo of  MSFFB2 and a warthog throttle,  I have 4 axes to use for various things, minus the slew nub on the throttle that isn't very useful due to it's self centering nature. 

Up until now I've been able to manage with duplicate binds as the Spit was the only aircraft with an adjustable gunsight, and was able to use axes I use for radiators and the stabilizer in various german fighters for gunsight controls. 

Not knowing what to expect with the p-38 and me. 262, I have to admit I'd love it if there were a box I could uncheck that allowed for individual joystick mapping per aircraft, that when unchecked would offer a dropdown box with all available aircraft in the controls menu.     It'd take me a lot longer to bind controls this way, but in the end it would make joystick mapping decisions a lot easier when it comes to gunsights and rads and trims.   I'd argue there's a case for immersion here as well, as controls across various cockpits are in different locations, as well as this opening up the opportunity for DIY home cockpit builders to have some fun. 

The suggestion of a checkbox that is checked by default, for those who prefer the controls the way they are, imo the best of both worlds.

Edited by =IL2AU=ToknMurican
  • Upvote 3

With so many aircrafts, a single keybinding for all is a problem (more so if you have fewer devices and/or fewer axes and buttons on them).

On the other hand, having individual keybindings you must set for each aircraft would be cumbersome (again, because there are so many aircrafts).

One way to deal with this would be like =IL2AU=ToknMurican proposed in the above post.

A somewhat similar way of doing this would be to have individual keybindings for each aircraft AND a "copy keybinding from aircraft A to aircraft X, Y,  Z" option (also "copy keybinding from aircraft A to all others"). And the copy should remain editable (or maybe have another option to keep the copy synchronized/linked with the original or not).

This way, you could make a "generic" keybinding for one one aircraft (or a few "generic" ones such as for fighters and for bombers), then have the game copy it for other aircraft you select. After that, if you want you can make small changes to the copies, as required for individual cases.

If also implemented, the "synchronized" (Enabled or Disabled per aircraft) option would allow to make changes to the original (the "generic" keybinding) and either propagate them or not to the copies. If "synchronized" is Enabled for an aircraft which had its keybindings inherited (copied) from another, then that copy won't be editable.

• Like 2

The X-Plane 11 UI handles it well and a similar approach would probably be good for IL2. You set up any number of control binding profiles which you individually name, then there's a list of all available aircraft with a dropdown for which profile each uses. That's probably the best solution given how many aircraft there are, especially given that number will only continue to grow. So broadly what you were suggesting Seb, just a slightly different layout.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, Seb71 said:

With so many aircrafts, a single keybinding for all is a problem (more so if you have fewer devices and/or fewer axes and buttons on them).

On the other hand, having individual keybindings you must set for each aircraft would be cumbersome (again, because there are so many aircrafts).

One way to deal with this would be like =IL2AU=ToknMurican proposed in the above post.

A somewhat similar way of doing this would be to have individual keybindings for each aircraft AND a "copy keybinding from aircraft A to aircraft X, Y,  Z" option (also "copy keybinding from aircraft A to all others"). And the copy should remain editable (or maybe have another option to keep the copy synchronized/linked with the original or not).

This way, you could make a "generic" keybinding for one one aircraft (or a few "generic" ones such as for fighters and for bombers), then have the game copy it for other aircraft you select. After that, if you want you can make small changes to the copies, as required for individual cases.

If also implemented, the "synchronized" (Enabled or Disabled per aircraft) option would allow to make changes to the original (the "generic" keybinding) and either propagate them or not to the copies. If "synchronized" is Enabled for an aircraft which had its keybindings inherited (copied) from another, then that copy won't be editable.

One possibility would be to have main control axes common, and rest per plane, but honestly, just each plane for their own. Have a dropdown menu with available planes + common tab. Whatever you put to common, edits that to every plane. Then just go to edit per plane.

Also needs to be easily saveable and exportable for ppl with standard joystics and joystick combos like warthog etc.

But anyway, this is at the moment one of the biggest issues I have with the game. To get all settings to each plane correct, is pure impossible with my controllers. If this was doable plane by plane, I would easily get good schemes for every plane.

This is a flight sim. Flight sim's have enthustiastic ccontroller freaks, who want and need their special controllers to be able to set up just as they want to. We now also have controls, that should support a axis, that wont without joystic gremlin etc. and vice versa.

I suggest that a total makeover of controls layout should be done. Plane by plane. Add the posibility to bind an axis to whatever and an button to whatever. Add possibility to import/export control layouts.

Untested but theoretically feasible via JSGME;

1. Copy your Current "data" folder to a safe place.

2. Choose a plane and set the keymap as you like it to fly that aircraft.

3. Copy the "data" folder to your desktop

4. Make a folder called "Plane Type I Just Set Up ('Spitfire Vb' for instance).

5. Place the modified "data" folder into your newly created 'Spitfire Vb' folder.

6. Place the 'Spitfire Vb' folder in your "MODS" folder.

7. Repeat above sequence for every plane you want different keybind setting for.

Now in your "MODS" folder you will have (for example) folders named 'Spitfire Vb', 'Bf-109E2' etc.

Enable the folder that matches the plane you are going to fly.  You will now have those key settings.  When you change planes remove the current plane folder and replace with the plane you will be flying next.

You most likely will not be able to have more than one Plane Folder enabled.

If you leave the 'Spitfire' folder enabled and choose the 109 you will have the setting for the Spitfire.

You could also take the original data folder you saved and put it in a folder called "Current" (or whatever name you like) to return you to the settings you started with.

Like I said, not yet tested but it should work.

Salutations,

Good idea but this has been proffered before. It should work if one takes the time to set up a folder for each chosen aircraft. 

The only drawback is that if one wanted to fly a different aircraft... leaving the game, disabling the current on and enabling the new aircraft would be required.

Ideally, we want to be able to do this type of selection while within the game. :coffee:

OH.  Information is scattered about on these forums.  I hadn't seen it before.  Sorry to beat a dead horse.

You are right, it is a cumbersome arrangement but under the current set of circumstances the only idea I could come up with.

Hopefully the Devs will address this at some point.

I meant no criticism. It is a good idea. :salute:

No worrys.  Not taken as a criticism.