Han

Developer Diary, Part 150 - Discussion

Hello everybody,

Today is an important day for the project - we start VR alpha test. It will take 1-2 weeks, then we'll finalize the functionality, perform the beta testing run and then, hopefully, we will be able to release the update with Open VR support before the end of March.

News from other departments: our engineers started making flight models for IL-2 mod. 1943 and Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb. Our lead engineer has finished preliminary preparations and now works on making behavior of a plane while using rudder or side slipping even more realistic. Meanwhile, our artists almost finished IL-2 mod. 1943 3D model and today we can show ypu its first screenshots in the sim. 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 13

NOOO!! i dont have money for VR!

great woork! i cant wait to try it tohugh! :)

Awesome. Is it possible to participate in those alpha tests? I cannot wait to play in VR :)

I still wonder how one shall be able to use the keyboard complex commands wearing VR goggles?

I still wonder how one shall be able to use the keyboard complex commands wearing VR goggles?

Using a HOTAS and mapping as much functions as possible to it will be a good idea. Then there`s the possibility to use a voice recognition software like Voice Attack.

If you own an Oculus Rift, there is a small gap at the nose, that enables you to have a look at your keeboard (not very comfortable, but it works ;) ).

Very much looking forward to the VR implementation. :salute:

Glad to see the VR support finally being implemented. I'm a little concerned about the one eye gun sight implementation. The sight would normally give the perspective of floating out in the distance if both eyes could see it in 3D.

Is there any intention to make the cockpit interact with touch in the future? It would be really immersive if I could actually grab the yoke and throttle or press the buttons like you can in the VR game Ultrawings. Even though you get no real world resistance from the yoke, the feel is very immersive. The fact that the movement/throw of the yoke is so large I feel like it allows more precision than using a joystick since exponentials aren't needed.

I get that it's probably partly for technical reasons but:

.. we decided to show the gunsight only for one eye while another eye should be closed (like in real life).

In the military I was taught to shoot with both eyes open.

• Upvote 4

Awesome. Is it possible to participate in those alpha tests? I cannot wait to play in VR :)

+1!

Good plan for the optical sights, and great work on the IL-2 43.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Wow. A full on patch AND a DD within three days.

Tip for Google cardboard users; you *might* have some luck with trinus VR and a smartphone/cardboard setup as an alternative to VR (or maybe it can be used properly to a degree when VR support becomes available as described in the develoment update.

In the meantime, via steam, I have enjoyed using trackir and big screen beta as something of a substitute for proper VR implementation.

It's not the real thing but I thought someone else might enjoy it in the meantime with the vive or rift.

Thanks for another stellar update!

cant wait. Rift is ready. Looking forward to fly groundpounding in VR. Guess contact identification might be a little of a problem due to the low resolution. But well see.

You guys are an awesome bunch.

Cheers to you. :salute:

I'm not in the market for VR at this time and likely not for a generation or two of improvements but it's great to see it coming so quickly. No one, absolutely no one can say this team isn't* barreling ahead at break neck speed adding features and updates to this game. I'd hate to suggest that Kuban will be finalized and released ahead of schedule, but I'd be willing to lay a bet on it.

*edited for clarity.... I hope. :(

Edited by Rjel

Fantastic news about the VR, my Oculus and I are anxiously awaiting it!

I am so excited to be getting back into BOS!

Ideally, get a HOTAS if you don't have one and program most of your commonly used functions to it. I have the Warthog and even in DCS I rarely need to find the keyboard whilst flying.

I do plan on adding Voice Attack here in the very near future for radio comms.

As someone else mentioned, on the Rift there is a gap underneath the nose area you can look down with the eyes and see the keyboard. It is a little cumbersome though trying to reach out with your hand and hit the right key, so best to do all you can to keep from having to do so. But it can be done.

Congratulations on the one-hundred and fiftieth dev diary Han :salute:

Mmmm.....Spitty..... :biggrin:

VR is getting very tempting when BoX supports it. If it works well, don't see any reason not to buy one.

Nice to hear news on FM department, things are just getting better and better every month.

Thanks!

I love the content of this update, but I also find the tone really refreshing and nicely understated compared to the hype being spouted by many other game developers: "All in all, we like how VR works in our sim, it's on par or even better than in other sims."

Love the attention to detail!  Sell us more...(And don't forget ROF.)

Thanks Guys

Ceowulf<><

HOTAS and voice attack software. never touch your keyboard again. 

Great to see my gunner got a roof, Nice update and congratz to those having VR. For us that do not have it, we will enjoy more people coming. Many wait it out for this update

And yes , many thanks

Glad to see the VR support finally being implemented. I'm a little concerned about the one eye gun sight implementation. The sight would normally give the perspective of floating out in the distance if both eyes could see it in 3D.

Is there any intention to make the cockpit interact with touch in the future? It would be really immersive if I could actually grab the yoke and throttle or press the buttons like you can in the VR game Ultrawings. Even though you get no real world resistance from the yoke, the feel is very immersive. The fact that the movement/throw of the yoke is so large I feel like it allows more precision than using a joystick since exponentials aren't needed.

I get that it's probably partly for technical reasons but:

In the military I was taught to shoot with both eyes open.

As I understood it, it was only for the telescopic sight in the Pe-2s lower gunner position, not for general gunsights.

A week without a BoS Friday Update is like a week...uh...well...without an update...Thanks!

I firmly believe that VR support will bring in a crowd of enthusiasts who would not normally flight sim. Since the genre naturally complements VR (seated position, importance of head tracking), it's a no brainer. Increasing the audience can only be good for BOX.

Albino

• Upvote 4

I firmly believe that VR support will bring in a crowd of enthusiasts who would not normally flight sim. Since the genre naturally complements VR (seated position, importance of head tracking), it's a no brainer. Increasing the audience can only be good for BOX.

Albino

I'm afraid I don't agree. While I think VR is exceptionally suitable for flight sims and may expand it's audience, DCS,, as it stands, has a better chance of pulling non flight simmers in if for one reason only ' YOU CAN ExPERIENCE IT FOR FREE". Whether that translates to pulling in paying customers is anybodies guess. BOX is more fun and better suited to casual simmers ( to my mind at least) than DCS but without a free trial or limited demo a lot of potential customers won't risk $50 just for a quick taster to see if BOX and VR does it for them. I think there are lots of VR customers out there willing to experiment and try something new, flight sims included, but asking customers to scattergun their cash around at $30, $40, $50 dollars a pop is very limiting. Having limited time trials or demo's might help convert some non flight simmers to give it a go. As a suggestion maybe 777 could offer a very limited single map and one or two simple turn and burn aircraft for a $3 or $4 mini game / taster at SteamVR or Oculus home, redeemable if the full game is bought. My choice of a single aircraft would be the Il16, nothing complex, just turn and burn flying fun.

P.S. I'm more than happy to volunteer for any VR testing, hint hint.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

You may well be right Hagar, but my opinion differs. If someone has the money to invest in a PC that can run the required hardware plus the VR hardware itself, some 50 bucks should be no showstopper.

Just an opinion.

I hope this VR stuff it will take off as smoothly as the planes in this sim do  :-)

• Upvote 3

I was wondering how does An Oculus Rift vc1 or an HTC Vive compare to a 4K and 32 inch top quality full led monitor in terms of image quality.

I mean if we take away the virtual reality immersion stereo 360 vision experience , is the image that we see of similar quality or not at all.