Han

Developer Diary, Part 148 - Discussion

Hello everybody,

While engineer and artist teams work on Battle of Kuban aircraft, our dedicated map department is making the landscape of the new theater of war.
We almost finished creating special objects for sea ports. This task wasn't trivial either - their layout changed since 1943 very much and it took a full blown historical research to determine how they looked back then. Kuban towns will include the famous landmarks, they are already modeled as well.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 12

Beautiful, for a moment I wondered if these where just pictures of the landscape instead of screens of the sim.

:salute:

Yay!!!! Kuban map in all it's (WIP) glory!

Nicely done.

:salute:

I was pretty excited to see what the map team could do with the Kuban region - the mountains in particular. They did not disappoint. This looks spectacular! Thanks for sharing this and giving us some insight into the behind the scenes work on this!

Really impressive!!

Kuban hype train has left the station  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

BTW: Are those textures for the spring version of the map?

Simply beautiful! thank you very much!

Kuban map will be a fantastic one!

New map looks very promising.   If the team really wants to get rich it should use this tech for a fantasy map and create a dragon themed module. 

Great news!

The particular region I want to see is the region around the city of Novorossiysk where the Soviet forces landed and amphibious force and paratroopers to try to force a stalemate situation.

I hope this glorious city and region is included in this map of the game?!

Thanks. :salute: 

Great news!

The particular region I want to see is the region around the city of Novorossiysk where the Soviet forces landed and amphibious force and paratroopers to try to force a stalemate situation.

I hope this glorious city and region is included in this map of the game?!

Thanks. :salute: 

See DD# 136 for area covered by Kuban map 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=397552

pretty sure this area is included

Cheers Dakpilot

My god! I knew I was going to like it but I was still taken by surprise at how eye wateringly beautiful that scenery is! I am so super hyped for BoK now. Not like I wasn't before but this map is taking it to a whole new level.

Amazing work! Give the map makers warm regards and a cold beer!

Great work.  I've been waiting a long time for these shots...  Would love to see a few landscape shots with each development update.  The mountains are fantastic already and will really add so much atmosphere to that map.  Really looking forward to it.  Great job - I really love how "balanced" the sim is with respect to all the various disciplines that make it shine from cockpits to landscape to physics to AI...  I love the fact that you folks are constantly seeing improvements from all areas...  The 64 Bit enhancement, DX11, etc... The constant DDs...  Carry on! 

• Upvote 1

See DD# 136 for area covered by Kuban map 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=397552

pretty sure this area is included

Cheers Dakpilot

I verified it is! The amphibious assault and parachute drop was made during the night but still it is an important battle and makes an important/great resource of air missions in the region were the other ground forces where hidden in concrete bunkers due to the fact there where many cement factories nearby.

Sucks that we'll probably never get Complex Weather Mechanics/Thermals/Waves/Ridge Lift to go along with that. Would love to Explore these Maps without Engine. Like with this thing maybe. 

4863346956_5d420493de_z.jpg

c7d87ca29322ad9101e0ce93bfeafa8d.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Upvote 1

The procedural textures turned out really well!

That looks like a really fun map to fly, with valleys, peaks, and the sea. Lots of different scenarios and opportunities :)

Also great job with the individual buildings. :cool:

The procedural textures turned out really well!

That looks like a really fun map to fly, with valleys, peaks, and the sea. Lots of different scenarios and opportunities :)

Also great job with the individual buildings. :cool:

The thought of low level dog fights in the mountain valleys is really exciting.

Also using them as cover when flying fast and low into an objective area is gonna be sweeeeeeet.  :cool:

• Upvote 3

I loved doing that on the original Kuban map in IL2/46.   We would sneak around in the valleys, then pop over the ridge with our IL2s and PE 2s and raid the German airfields near the coast at Novorossiysk or Gelendzhik.

Great fun it was.

• Upvote 1

Looks very beautiful, good work on the algorithms. Only minus is the ridge lines in the distance. where you use the lower-resolution landscape. The ridge lines out there are way too straight and the mountain tops too pointy. It is an immersion breaker and reminds me of the DCS maps. Is there any way to make the ridge lines a bit more jagged and irregular out there?

It looks simply awesome. And there arent even trees on it. Imagine how great it will look with all objects.

MOUNTAINS!

What spaceman said.  MOUNTAINS!!!!! Brilliant. Waiting for this map with bated breath.

Cheers. :salute:

Looks very beautiful, good work on the algorithms. Only minus is the ridge lines in the distance. where you use the lower-resolution landscape. The ridge lines out there are way too straight and the mountain tops too pointy. It is an immersion breaker and reminds me of the DCS maps. Is there any way to make the ridge lines a bit more jagged and irregular out there?

After reading this I went back to look at the pictures again. I am having a very hard time seeing what you are talking about. Even the ridges off in the distance are nowhere near as unnatural looking as DCS. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen more natural looking mountains in a game. 

• Upvote 2

I can't do anything but repeat what other guys say before me : great job on the mountains ! I love it.

Fantastic, how i can't wait to fly in the kuban mountains!

"...our first attempt".... :wacko:

It does look insane.....BRAVI !!!

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
  • Upvote 1