Photo

Putting Out Engine Fires

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 09 February 2017 - 22:29

Is it possible? I frequently have fires on the JU-88 and I always try to select the engine and shut it off, but it never goes out.

Is it possible on other aircraft?

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#2 fern

fern

Posted 09 February 2017 - 23:15

I just did this a couple days ago for the first time on the 88. I shut it off and feathered it and then I did a shallow dive to put the fire out.  Not sure if the sequence was right, but it worked.

The Lagg-3 can put out a fire in a climb. Took friendly 23mm fire and climbed without intent to put fire out and it extinguished itself. 

Edited by Fern, 09 February 2017 - 23:23.

#3 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 10 February 2017 - 00:04

You can do it sometimes.

there is diff types of engines fires it seems also.
oil fire
fuel fire

Sometime if you got altitude.
Shutdown engine
Start a VMAX Dive (pretty much dive at max possible angle to reach max possible speed without ripping wings given your altitude)
Close Throttle (0 mixture if russian and it wont go out right away)
Open All Rads
Keep Dive until its out IF after 10-15 seconds its not out LVL or Climb and ready for Bail many planes after a while might just EXPLODE!!

791JFcf.jpgANn0ipP.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#4 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:39

Ok, thanks guys!

I wasn't able to dive yesterday as I was on the deck, but I will try your suggestions next time

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#5 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 10 February 2017 - 14:40

Ok, thanks guys!

I wasn't able to dive yesterday as I was on the deck, but I will try your suggestions next time

Yeah if you can't dive, you're pretty much done for. Get some altitude and bail out before the fire or explosion kills you.

#6 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:09

Yeah if you can't dive, you're pretty much done for. Get some altitude and bail out before the fire or explosion kills you.

This is good advice

However yesterday I stayed low to keep my speed so I could get to friendly lines before bailing. My plane exploded before I got there so points wise it didn't matter either way as I was still captured.

On a side note, should engine explosions always instantly kill the pilot? And would they always happen every time an engine stays on fire too long? I don't know enough war aviation history to have any idea. I know in WWI it was bad because the airframe would catch fire and you couldn't dive to put it out since the wings might come off the plane, so pilots usually jumped or might have shot themselves to avoid burning alive if they had pistols

I guess the explosion is probably not just the engine exploding, but also the fumes in the fuel tanks going up as well, which might explain why it always instantly kills the pilot instead of just wounding him

#7 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:16

This is good advice

However yesterday I stayed low to keep my speed so I could get to friendly lines before bailing. My plane exploded before I got there so points wise it didn't matter either way as I was still captured.

On a side note, should engine explosions always instantly kill the pilot? And would they always happen every time an engine stays on fire too long? I don't know enough war aviation history to have any idea. I know in WWI it was bad because the airframe would catch fire and you couldn't dive to put it out since the wings might come off the plane, so pilots usually jumped or might have shot themselves to avoid burning alive if they had pistols

I guess the explosion is probably not just the engine exploding, but also the fumes in the fuel tanks going up as well, which might explain why it always instantly kills the pilot instead of just wounding him

I feel like I've survived a few engine explosions, but I can't be sure. It certainly usually kills you. I don't usually get caught on fire, and when I do I don't usually stick around long enough to have a decent sample of pilot survival rates.

And I would guess any plane left burning long enough would eventually explode when the fuel was inevitable lit up. But I don't know enough to be sure there either.

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr, 10 February 2017 - 15:18.

#8 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:20

I feel like I've survived a few engine explosions, but I can't be sure. It certainly usually kills you. I don't usually get caught on fire, and when I do I don't usually stick around long enough to have a decent sample of pilot survival rates.

And I would guess any plane left burning long enough would eventually explode when the fuel was inevitable lit up. But I don't know enough to be sure there either.

Very true lol

Well, it's good to know we can put out engine fires. As long as we can, I'm happy with the "fire model" lol

#9 216th_Jordan

216th_Jordan
  • Founder

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:53

Whats just truly frustrating is when you crashland while your plane is burning - no way out and sure death. An implementation like with the running away soldiers from damaged objects would be nice when the bail out button is pressed on the ground.

Edited by 216th_Jordan, 10 February 2017 - 15:53.

Visit the 216th SAD: http://216th.proboards.com/
Hardware & Specs

Spoiler

#10 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:55

Whats just truly frustrating is when you crashland while your plane is burning - no way out and sure death. An implementation like with the running away soldiers from damaged objects would be nice when the bail out button is pressed on the ground.

Yeah very true, like in the original Il-2. This is exactly why I recommend going up and bailing as opposed to crash landing (plus the possibility of exploding while putting her down).

#11 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 10 February 2017 - 16:04

It doesn't let you "Finish Flight" when your plane is stopped on the ground but on fire?

#12 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 10 February 2017 - 16:08

It doesn't let you "Finish Flight" when your plane is stopped on the ground but on fire?

It does, but in servers with a 15 second end flight period, you can easily burn to death in the meantime.

#13 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 10 February 2017 - 16:12

It does, but in servers with a 15 second end flight period, you can easily burn to death in the meantime.

That slipped my mind. good point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users