Photo

Additional bomb release intervals

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:14

Level bombing is fun, but sometimes I wish we had a larger (or different) selection of drop intervals.

This is a bit more directed to german bombers, but the Pe2s (and maybe the A20 in the future) can benefit from it as well.

Looking at what we have, 0.05s is rather pointless from an efficiency point of view, it's more of a jettison like function. Even with the small SC50s, 0.25s is usually the lowest interesting interval for carpet bombing. 0.1s being more for jabo style attacks.

On the other extreme, 0.5s is OK on SC50, and very good for FAB100 bombs. But 250kg bombs starts to have their blast perimeter overlapping strongly (especially with the slower He111), and on anything bigger, it's just a waste of destructive power.

I saw that in the Ju88, the komandoger├Ąt for the bombs and interval correction features graduation up to 400m from a bomb to the other. With the simplified bombsight operation, the 0.5s we have ingame corresponds to 60m, so 1 second interval and even 2 second interval should be easy to implement. 

It's not super critical, but with the He111 H16 incoming and it's classy 8xSC250 bombload, a 1 second interval at least could enable us to really benefit from this loadout, especially in large bomber formations. 

And if there was something a bit tricky in the code that would prevent adding new values to the existing one, I would gladly trade the 0.05s interval (that I don't recall having ever used) for a 1s interval.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber, 04 February 2017 - 11:46.

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

#2 216th_Retnek

216th_Retnek
  • Founder

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:22

+1 (+10)

#3 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 04 February 2017 - 15:04

I would like to see it done historically for each plane, if it's not already. I would guess that all the planes in game didn't have the exact same intervals in real life.

But I have absolutely no idea. Maybe someone with knowledge on that will pop in.

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr, 04 February 2017 - 15:04.

#4 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 04 February 2017 - 18:06

+1

Historical Bomb intervals different for each plane based on bombsight design, Bomb model and plane design.

aDiRotj.jpg8QTw5MF.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#5 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 04 February 2017 - 23:54

I would like to see it done historically for each plane, if it's not already. I would guess that all the planes in game didn't have the exact same intervals in real life.

But I have absolutely no idea. Maybe someone with knowledge on that will pop in.

For the Ju88 we have in game, there is a kommandoger├Ąt that for bomb release where you are not supposed to enter the delay like now but you enter the plane's airspeed, and the distance in meters you want between each impact on the ground. The release mechanism then adapt the interval accordingly. I think it was already like this for the earlier version of the plane and for the He111 series (I need to check that though).

So the whole fixed interval thing is not valid for the aircraft. (No idea about russian planes on the other hand).

That's also how the bombing system worked on CloD.

But this would require an in depth overhaul of the bombing system, new stuffs to be added in the bombsight interface and probably new commands to map. 

So as a quick solution (or as interim), just some longer intervals would be good for now and could be quickly implemented along with the He111-H16 release  :)

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber, 04 February 2017 - 23:57.

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

#6 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:40

The bomb release intervals for the Pe-2 are correct and can be seen on a knob to the right of the pilot's seat

#7 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:07

Good to know, thanks Luke  :)

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

#8 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:27

Can find great info about the bombsights used at the time.

But not the operating manuals (they shoudl all be declassified and someone to read)
then simply match the ingame bombsights to Real life manual

aDiRotj.jpg8QTw5MF.jpg                  

#9 216th_Retnek

216th_Retnek
  • Founder

Posted 05 February 2017 - 14:02

But this would require an in depth overhaul of the bombing system, new stuffs to be added in the bombsight interface and probably new commands to map. 

So as a quick solution (or as interim), just some longer intervals would be good for now and could be quickly implemented along with the He111-H16 release  :)

CuriousGamblerr is right - best is to aim for the real thing. For immersion and gameplay it should be comparable complicated to the real thing. This quite well done in BoX now. Hopefully Grubers suggestion will find it's way to the devs - have you made it an "official suggestion" here?

https://forum.il2stu...12-suggestions/

#10 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 05 February 2017 - 14:34

Not yet.

I'm not sure the devs are willing to put a realistic bombsight operation in the game.

How it works in BoX is the simplest "arcadish" bombsight of the whole IL2 series. 

BoS got me started in bombers because the interface was clear, easy to use and gave good results. I then worked my way up to IL2 1946 and then CloD.

CloD was a real challenge, wind drift correction is old fashionned, you have to calculate the TAS of your airplane, selection of bomb bays, interval, realistic bomb arming delay for the fuses, and deal with an rudimentary autopilot that is anything but reliable...

So for now I prefer to ask for something useful and quickly available even if not historically correct, than for a feature that will most likely be listed in the "maybe later" features.

Just look how long it took us (more than a year) to finally the lateral adjustment knob for the view mode.

But I can ask both, maybe I'm too pessimistic and it will see daylight sooner than expected but with the development of warships technology for Kuban and Midway, along with the cramped schedule they have to deal with, I have serious doubts.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber, 05 February 2017 - 14:35.

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

#11 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 06 February 2017 - 20:09

Suggestion sent.

I took the road you guys supported, having thought about it, it might not be that much work to implement  :)

I proposed that they give us 4 interval distances (to match the 4 interval timing of the Pe2) if they want to keep it simple or to go with the full 2.5-500m adjustment we can see in the Ju88 cockpit if they have time for it.

https://forum.il2stu...tions/?p=440295

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

#12 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 07 February 2017 - 18:27

how is it the most simple implementation? i mean what else is there besides like what he-111 has now for a bombsight.

i thought that was a copy of the "Lotfernrohr 7" Bombsight that was fitted to HE-111's

aDiRotj.jpg8QTw5MF.jpg                  

#13 JG5_Schuck

JG5_Schuck
  • Founder

Posted 07 February 2017 - 20:10

Id like to see a greater delay in between bomb detonations, ie if you set a 2 minute delay in between each bomb, 16 50KG could keep a runway out of action for 32 minutes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users