Photo

Optimal dive bombing altitudes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kitsunelegend

kitsunelegend

Posted 27 January 2017 - 17:25

Just trying to do a little research. Whats the optimal dive bombing altitude for planes such as the SBD Dauntless? The Stuka? I've tried look at other sources via google but haven't found anything mentioning what altitude they'd start their dives. So thought I'd ask here. :)

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w-

Ixmoaku.png

#2 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 27 January 2017 - 17:33

I prefer 3-3.5k in the Stuka and 88. Gives time to correct if you goof the initial dive point, and you're less likely to find VVS fighters than at e.g. 2k.

This altitude was confirmed as historical for my by this interview. Unfortunately I don't have 3 hours to watch it again and find the exact quote. It's very interesting though, if you have the time. 

In the Stuka, the dive breaks will keep you at 550kph and I've never jammed them. In the 88 however, I retract them when I hit 550 kph in the dive because they will jam if you go too fast. Flying home with jammed dive breaks is not fun.

I'm about to start reading Mahlke's Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot and can't wait. I've always loved that thing, it's just dangerous to fly alone.

Here's a video I made quite a while back that you might enjoy if you like the stuka: 
youtube.com/watch?v=X6zaoI63TCk

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr, 27 January 2017 - 17:34.

#3 kitsunelegend

kitsunelegend

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:44

I prefer 3-3.5k in the Stuka and 88. Gives time to correct if you goof the initial dive point, and you're less likely to find VVS fighters than at e.g. 2k.

This altitude was confirmed as historical for my by this interview. Unfortunately I don't have 3 hours to watch it again and find the exact quote. It's very interesting though, if you have the time. 

In the Stuka, the dive breaks will keep you at 550kph and I've never jammed them. In the 88 however, I retract them when I hit 550 kph in the dive because they will jam if you go too fast. Flying home with jammed dive breaks is not fun.

I'm about to start reading Mahlke's Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot and can't wait. I've always loved that thing, it's just dangerous to fly alone.

Here's a video I made quite a while back that you might enjoy if you like the stuka: 
youtube.com/watch?v=X6zaoI63TCk

Awesome! Thanks mate! Thats super helpful! =D

Damn, this forum is extremely helpful. I should have started posting here sooner =P

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w-

Ixmoaku.png

#4 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 28 January 2017 - 19:29

Sure thing man, happy to help  :salute:

#5 BOO

BOO

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:53

No video for Brits - Sony Music Soundtrack

#6 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 31 January 2017 - 13:21

While not optimal, I'd say you can dive in the stuka as low as 1.5km. I think one of Req's vids mentioned 1-1.8km, but historical altitude was something like 2.5km.

The higher above the ground you start your dive, the more time for correction you have and also you're less likely to get throat punched by AAA.

As Gamblerr said, you don't need to worry about your dive speed too much in the Stuka as the dive brakes do their job very well.

Bonus pro tip: The bigger the bomb, the less accurate you need to be, and therefore you can be more haphazard and pull out earlier(TWSS)  ;)  :lol:

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#7 LeR3_Kanttori

LeR3_Kanttori

Posted 01 February 2017 - 23:24

Look more guides from here:  https://forum.il2stu...-ju88-4-guides/

ju88_dive_bombing.jpg

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori, 01 February 2017 - 23:50.

LLv32_Kanttori_icon.jpg

Kanttori - Lentolaivue 32/LeR3 - Finnish Virtual Pilots

Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3,4GHz - 16Gb DDR 3 - GTX 970 SC - Windows 7 - 52" NEC P461 (1920x1080) - Baur's KG13 Grip/BRD-DS - MJoy16 Custom Throttle Console - Slaw Device Bf 109 Pedals - TrackIR v5

#8 andyw248

andyw248
  • Founder

Posted 05 February 2017 - 17:48

I think I read somewhere (probably Parshall or Lundstrom) that SBD's dove from about 12,000 feet which corresponds to 3,600 meters.

#9 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 15 February 2017 - 21:56

He-111 Very workable dive bomber as per my sig stats (90% GK in the HE-111 Dive Bomber)

1 - Come over target station or Dump @ 350-400kph arond 1-1.5K
2 - The pitch up 70* to bleed off most speed
3 - Then cut power roll plane over inverted and bring nose around into a 90* nose down dive
4 - Obtain first target release bomb 1 around 1.5K
5 - Obtain second target, release bomb around 1K
6 - Carefully pull out of the dive now doing around 500-550 KPH
(As you exit the are now at very high speed on the deck you are Hard to spot harder to hit)

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14, 15 February 2017 - 21:57.

791JFcf.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#10 Leon_Portier

Leon_Portier

Posted 21 October 2017 - 17:04

Sorry for asking, how can I make the IL2 go slow enough to dive from the clouds ~2,5k like in the box art? 

It looks great and I want to do that too, but the elevators keep falling off.

1wXETUX.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users