kitsunelegend

Optimal dive bombing altitudes

Just trying to do a little research. Whats the optimal dive bombing altitude for planes such as the SBD Dauntless? The Stuka? I've tried look at other sources via google but haven't found anything mentioning what altitude they'd start their dives. So thought I'd ask here. :)

I prefer 3-3.5k in the Stuka and 88. Gives time to correct if you goof the initial dive point, and you're less likely to find VVS fighters than at e.g. 2k.

This altitude was confirmed as historical for my by this interview. Unfortunately I don't have 3 hours to watch it again and find the exact quote. It's very interesting though, if you have the time. 

In the Stuka, the dive breaks will keep you at 550kph and I've never jammed them. In the 88 however, I retract them when I hit 550 kph in the dive because they will jam if you go too fast. Flying home with jammed dive breaks is not fun.

I'm about to start reading Mahlke's Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot and can't wait. I've always loved that thing, it's just dangerous to fly alone.

Here's a video I made quite a while back that you might enjoy if you like the stuka: 

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr
  • Upvote 1

I prefer 3-3.5k in the Stuka and 88. Gives time to correct if you goof the initial dive point, and you're less likely to find VVS fighters than at e.g. 2k.

This altitude was confirmed as historical for my by this interview. Unfortunately I don't have 3 hours to watch it again and find the exact quote. It's very interesting though, if you have the time. 

In the Stuka, the dive breaks will keep you at 550kph and I've never jammed them. In the 88 however, I retract them when I hit 550 kph in the dive because they will jam if you go too fast. Flying home with jammed dive breaks is not fun.

I'm about to start reading Mahlke's Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot and can't wait. I've always loved that thing, it's just dangerous to fly alone.

Here's a video I made quite a while back that you might enjoy if you like the stuka: 

Awesome! Thanks mate! Thats super helpful! =D

Damn, this forum is extremely helpful. I should have started posting here sooner =P

While not optimal, I'd say you can dive in the stuka as low as 1.5km. I think one of Req's vids mentioned 1-1.8km, but historical altitude was something like 2.5km.

The higher above the ground you start your dive, the more time for correction you have and also you're less likely to get throat punched by AAA.

As Gamblerr said, you don't need to worry about your dive speed too much in the Stuka as the dive brakes do their job very well.

Bonus pro tip: The bigger the bomb, the less accurate you need to be, and therefore you can be more haphazard and pull out earlier(TWSS)  ;)  :lol:

I think I read somewhere (probably Parshall or Lundstrom) that SBD's dove from about 12,000 feet which corresponds to 3,600 meters.

He-111 Very workable dive bomber as per my sig stats (90% GK in the HE-111 Dive Bomber)

1 - Come over target station or Dump @ 350-400kph arond 1-1.5K
2 - The pitch up 70* to bleed off most speed
3 - Then cut power roll plane over inverted and bring nose around into a 90* nose down dive
4 - Obtain first target release bomb 1 around 1.5K
5 - Obtain second target, release bomb around 1K
6 - Carefully pull out of the dive now doing around 500-550 KPH
(As you exit the are now at very high speed on the deck you are Hard to spot harder to hit)

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14

Sorry for asking, how can I make the IL2 go slow enough to dive from the clouds ~2,5k like in the box art? 

It looks great and I want to do that too, but the elevators keep falling off.

1wXETUX.jpg