447 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a PC VR device?

• Yes, HTC Vive
    • Yes, Oculus Rift
    • Yes, other PC VR Device
    • No, but I will buy one in 2017or 2018
    • No, I will continue to use monitor for next couple of year and will see
    • No, I will always use a monitor
    • Yes, Windows Mixed Reality (Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP)
    • Yes, Windows Mixed Reality (Samsung Odyssey)

I'm waiting for the 2nd generation too, then when that's here I'll be waiting for the 3rd gen, then 4th gen

This! When the high end VR headset manufacturers release a new one I'm jumping straight in as well.

I went the other way with the swivel chair though. I swapped mine out for a fixed chair so I couldn't cheat myself out of the difficulty checking six and amusing everyone on Teamspeak with the "VR Groan".

Good suggestion regarding practicing before hand.

Oculus Rift owner here.  I'm waiting for the 2nd generation too, then when that's here I'll be waiting for the 3rd gen, then 4th gen, etc.  <g>  I'm really enjoying this 1st generation VR though.  Words just don't properly express what it's like, but I'll try my best to put your head in these impressive 3D cockpits that C1 has made for us.

You're crammed into the Bf109 with your shoulders an inch or two from either cockpit side as you lean sideways just a little and twist in pain trying to look out the rear past the armored head guard of your seat, but you can't!  You bang your head into the canopy side and grunt in displeasure, but there's no way you can get your head turned enough to see straight back.  Kicking the rudder to yaw a little helps, but now your fighting off the advances of a major muscle cramp and you still haven't checked your bloody 6 yet...  the 4 & 8 o'clock look good though, f*** it! You turn around and admire the 3D dash with it's realistic working switches, levers, gauges and dials...  impressive work C1.

Rolling into a 45^ turn you naturally tilt your head sideways keeping it level, you're now looking through the top of the canopy and you realise you're there, or at least momentarily you believed you were there in that tight cockpit, ducking and bobbing your head around the canopy framing frantically looking for the enemy fighter who you know is diligently looking for you as well.   Who's going to get the drop on the other first?  Well, probably not me until I invest in a swivel chair I think, but you have to try this game in VR if you haven't yet guys, stop smoking and/or drinking but save another $500.00 as soon as possible!   Remember to do some stretching and for heaven's sake, practice twisting around in place until you're more flexible if that's at all possible for you.     ;-)

I went the other way with the swivel chair though. I swapped mine out for a fixed chair so I couldn't cheat myself out of the difficulty checking six and amusing everyone on Teamspeak with the "VR Groan".

Oops, I better put it back I deleted it but you replied pretty quickly!  ;-)   If required, a guy could justify getting one by saying you're getting yourself exercise equipment!  <g>

Edited by Drum

HP WMR owner, not sure how bad this IPD issue is that people are reporting. WMR headsets are perfect for sims with increased resolution and low cost. The numbers of headsets are growing, flying in VR is amazing, I'm sure once people try it they will love it.

For me its like electric bicycles.

Initially people think its pointless until they try it.

Thats how i convert people both bike and VR.

Same here, I was like nah to bad resolution, is not ready bla bla.

I tried it from a memeber on this forums in IL2.

I bought it the same day after I left his house, and I play a lot more Il2 now than ever.

Electric Mt bikes is the same,I was like ,lazy no effort, heavy bla bla, then  I tried them and they are a ton of fun, illegal in most trails so need to wait.

Personally, I'm waiting for VR tech to mature some more, and to get better "married up" with video cards. I will probably wait another graphics card generation or two, or when the Pimax 8K VR set or some competitor of it is available and reasonable, and graphics cards that run it well are reasonable also.

If I didn't upgrade to 3 x 32" monitors and TrackIR when I got bitten with the flight sim bug, I would definitely have gotten VR instead, at this point.

Samsung Odyssey is the best headset for the price. But the scale issue in IL2 needs to be fixed. DCS works fine.

About a year ago the VR was enabled in IL-2 and so far the VR adoption rate has been pretty steady and always going up!!

As today 17-May-2018 we have:

5afdc7e830bcf_VRadoptionrate.thumb.png.dce07b71c15a207aeb82aaa2eb7fc105.png

I would like to know how can I modify this poll to include other devices which are now in the market (VivePro) or future (Pimax, etc).

When IL-2 updated the forum style, the old polls can not be edited anymore.

Does anybody know how this poll can be edited? Can I ask to the moderators to allow me to do modifications on it?

Look at all those Rift numbers.

Man I wish they could offer native support for the Rift.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, Eclipse4349 said:

If I didn't upgrade to 3 x 32" monitors and TrackIR when I got bitten with the flight sim bug, I would definitely have gotten VR instead, at this point.

just a few weeks before getting my rift i was really planning on getting a TrackIR + large Monitor setup. 

But since i had alot of other things to do, thankfully i couldnt fullfill my plan. It would have cost me more than i paid for my rift, and the the experience of VR is mindblowing in comparison.

• Upvote 1

now that the Samsung odyssey  scale issue is fixed i can say that between the vive and the odyssey they are probably the most enjoyable experience, however the rift is nice bc it lets ppl try it without having to sink in a ton of money. i personally love vr i got the odyssey myself. i went from a 30" 2k 144hz monitor and trackir, like a couple ppl already said u feel disconnected when you use trackir. none the less, vr or not the game is super enjoyable!

Hello dear fellows,

I am new to IL-2 because I just bought a High End Gaming PC and bought an OCULUS RIFT. I purchased all IL-2 Titels and most collector planes and also BoBP Early Access and I just want to thank all the developers here that you implemented the VR experience into your great IL-2 Sim.

You are doing a great job with your software, I love it tooooo much and I am addicted to it. Thank you again and I love your VR implementation.....which is the icing on the cake, it is my BEST VR experience I can have, besides Sim Racing which I am also doing.

Keep on the great job, I will support you by buying all the content which is coming.

Best regards Joe

lenovo explorer here....i bought it because of the ridiculous price (99$) but i will see if i will be able to buy an odissey+ in europe

On 11/5/2018 at 10:59 AM, Virus* said:

lenovo explorer here....i bought it because of the ridiculous price (99$) but i will see if i will be able to buy an odissey+ in europe

You could use Big Apple Buddy to buy from the states in Europe. Haven't tried myself but have read accounts from people who have.