Photo

Maneuvering Graphs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lantirn

lantirn

Posted 09 January 2017 - 14:34

Hello gentlemen!

I am pretty new to this kind of simulation although I have 10 yrs of experience in flight simulators and real life flying.

I found some guides with the switchology part and they are very useful and interesting! All those german and russian switches are really difficult to remember so for the time being i hit the autostart until i figure out other things!

I found taxying very challenging in the beginning and crosswind takeoffs-landing were a sort of nightmare until i could avoid the prop strike!

It seems I cannot find anything about energy management for each aircraft.

What range of speed to maintain, where is the best rate, best radius etchetera...

Any input?

Edited by lantirn, 09 January 2017 - 14:34.

At cease fire, have a plan. Be ready to reposition or separate if he doesn't blow up

#2 lantirn

lantirn

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:58

I didnt found anything around, however with some testing with the Yak 1, I assume you need a corner plateu of around 350-450kph in order to sustain a turn and for pulling reasonably. 

P.s: Something I noticed, when dogfighting in 1v1 scenario in quick misssion, same enemy aircraft, when you are Vs an ace, it seems that they overmaneuver their aircraft. You can see it especially in one circle fights, they zoom and doing high yo-yo's when they were before in a low energy situation. Have you noticed or its just me?

At cease fire, have a plan. Be ready to reposition or separate if he doesn't blow up

#3 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 13 January 2017 - 13:05

To get some idea you can find an app called IL2 Compare. It was created for IL2 1946 but has a huge range ofaircraft.

I am not sure which is the latest version but this gives you an idea.http://www.mission4t...details&id=3985

For the AI overmaneuver question maybe post a video.

Cheers

Jacko

#4 lantirn

lantirn

Posted 13 January 2017 - 13:21

Outstanding!

#5 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • Founder

Posted 13 January 2017 - 15:18

The Tech Specs page gives you some information - for instance best turn times/speeds. (270kph +/- 5 for nearly everything :))  May be helpful.

https://forum.il2stu...nd-operational/

The main thing it does not give which I would like is the best climb speed. For now I just estimate it as being similar to the best turn speed: which may be horribly misguided.

Nullius in verba

#6 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 13 January 2017 - 22:08

The main thing it does not give which I would like is the best climb speed. For now I just estimate it as being similar to the best turn speed: which may be horribly misguided.

You get an indication of climb rate from the charts you  spotted and you set you speed/angle of pitch to optimise as you climb

#7 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • Founder

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:58

You get an indication of climb rate from the charts you  spotted and you set you speed/angle of pitch to optimise as you climb

Unfortunately for most aircraft in the sim there is no way to measure climb rate directly, since there is no vertical speed indicator, so I am still left wondering how you get best climb speed from these charts. 

Nullius in verba

#8 SYN_Requiem

SYN_Requiem
  • Founder

Posted 14 January 2017 - 16:41

For the OP. About 3 or 4 months back I had a spare weekend and decided to try and make a spreadsheet to create EM diagrams by using the Yak-1 as a guinea pig just to see if I could do it. The idea was that I can test any airplane in the game to determine it's best airspeed for sustained turn rate at a given altitude. I input the testing results after x number of 360° turns at a constant airspeed, input into the spreadsheet, and voila I get a energy maneuvering diagram which when combined with testing other aircraft in the same way can give a relative comparison in performance.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer though so I'm not asserting that any of this is correct, as I could be completely wrong in how I did it! :lol:

I'll attach a picture but if you're interested in having the spreadsheet to look at I'll send you a PM, but I don't have the time to work on this or test any other aircraft to input. I was more interested in the challenge of seeing if I could try to do it.

Attached File  EM spreadsheet.png   218.05KB   3 downloads

Signature2.png    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users