BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part II

Hello dear friends!

Many thanks for your joining the BOS community and participating in the new forum. I ask you to be a little more reserved and cordial in your conversation. Sometimes comments are very disrespectful when there is a dispute that I think is not acceptable. All of us love the aviation and the flight simulation genre.  We all want to see a lot of new players, continued development and overall success, but all this cannot be achieved by engaging in ugly verbal battles; please remember this. In the pointless noise of endless personal disputes sometimes I cannot hear some very important voices and opinions. After all, we are trying to create a product, not only for veterans of the genre, but for all those who are interested in general aviation and military history games. This is a big task for us, so please don't ask us to be focused only on your exact desires. It's very nice when new players come into the genre and enthusiastically talk about the huge world that they discover. Endless arguing over difficult decisions we need to make only scares off new users. We don???

• Upvote 2

Yup - a big map, for the scenario. Just slightly  smaller that the CloD map, but that is half water - and it is the amount of data that determines map complexity, rather than the absolute scale. By my calculations, it is about 2.5 times the area of the IL-2 '46 Stalingrad map. Plenty of room for long missions. 

Nothing special imho in this dev update to get excited about, most of the stuff I could have guessed at myself really. Will be more interesting once we get to see a few alpha WIP shots starting 2013 I suppose.

• Upvote 1

We can like or not like answers like this, but at least they are clear! Full points for that, keep it up.

2) Do you plan to make a map editor? The fact is that in the presence of a set of the average aircraft in theory you can do a variety of scenarios for theater within the Eastern Front. There are enthusiasts certainly willing to make maps and static campaigns for them. In "IL-2" there was no map editor, at least for mere mortals. Can we hope for it to BoS?

No.

Edited by heinkill
  • Upvote 3

Open communication and clear, without jargon and especially a project with a realistic business plan.

It is rather encouraging!

Good luck.

10) Do you plan any rewards, notes in the newspapers (possibly achieve) and other pleasures in the game?

Of course there will be awards. Premium System (achievements) will be different. There will be historical rewards for fans of history and role-playing moments and achievements and badges for those who like to play in the multiplayer and to demonstrate their skills. But all this is only part of the global system of achievements we want to do."

Has thought been given to awarding partial kills to players in instances where the combined damage from two more attackers results in an aircraft being destroyed?

17) Will there be a dedicated server in the public domain or the online game will be available only at the company's servers?

Yes, a dedicated server will be available to the public. Performance Monitoring with such servers will be united, but in order for your server to participate in a single statistics system admins will be presented certain requirements that we will describe later.

Does this mean that server operators will be able to run a server that does not participate in the "single statisic system"

Will the admins have access to the statistics of their own server if they do not participate?

Cheers and thankyou for the update.

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

Well I hope it will be a mix between the existing RoF system and CoD's where the sim calculates who of multiple attackers did the most damage to the aircraft in question and awards it fully to that person

I dislike CoD's system which leads to ridiculous kill scores where after putting shots into 4 different aircraft you might end up with a random number of "2.68" kills

Having said that I also do not think the IL-2 '46 & RoF systems are perfect where pretty much the last person to put a bullet into a stricken aircraft gets the full kill, that just promotes kill stealing

Has thought been given to awarding partial kills to players in instances where the combined damage from two more attackers results in an aircraft being destroyed?

Edited by JG52Karaya

I welcome this team's no-bull attitude. They have my full confidence and I'm looking forward to pre-ordering BoS.

• Upvote 1

Yes. This is great Christmas news. Big map, awards, career system.

post-912-0-68650200-1356086659_thumb.jpg

Edited by AdlerAngriff

We can like or not like answers like this, but at least they are clear! Full points for that, keep it up.

2) Do you plan to make a map editor? The fact is that in the presence of a set of the average aircraft in theory you can do a variety of scenarios for theater within the Eastern Front. There are enthusiasts certainly willing to make maps and static campaigns for them. In "IL-2" there was no map editor, at least for mere mortals. Can we hope for it to BoS?

No.

There is more in the answer, like "You already have the tools and available information on how to create a map with our DN technology today".

Enthusiasts may expresse their creative skills even without a formal map editor.

Thanks for the update!

Glad that we get such a big map :)
Pre-Order for sure.

The achievments are also a nice feature, imagine you have to score only one more kill whitout getting killed for getting the knights cross... I bet you'll plan your sortie way better than before. Also keeps a server a bit more realistic, because it achieves you for proper flying. And you can see how good your enemy is/was, at least on paper ;)

Looking forward to the first screenshots.

Happy hollidays everyone!

Yes it certainly is great to see this line of communication going here in the early stages, look forward to watching it's development over the coming months.

Good to have straight communication, looking forward to dev updates next year.

Merry Christmas  or happy holiday all.

Edited by Stick

20) What is the length of the map from west to east and from north to south? It is known that the bombing groups of Luftwaffe in August 1942 flew on Stalingrad from afar, such as KG27 flew from the airfield Kursk. Then there is a map should be large, mission should be long (not as in Stalingrad map for "IL-2", where Pitomnik was on the west end of the map). If you make airfield Kursk, then get on the map and Kharkov and Saratov.

We are preparing a map from east to west length of 360 km (Tatsinskaya - Stupino / Kapustin Yar) and north-south 230 km (Kletskaya - Kotelnikovo). We would like to reproduce the story as accurately as possible, but of course some simplification is possible due to technical limitations.

If that's the size of the BoS map, I have a question to those with good knowledge of the Stalingrad battle.

Tatsinskaya and Morozovskaya airfield were lost by the Germans in late December 1942. Are there any other German airfields outside the Stalingrad pocket after this time on the area of the BoS map? The airfields at Salsk, Novocherkassk or Shakty are all outside the map area.

I think it's partly the "dedicated" nature of the flight sim community, and partly the fact that there are so few sims these days that all of people's expectations get crammed into every one.

Anyway, best of luck with your project!

EDITED BY FSM FOR CIVILITY

50m x 50m per pixel, that is one tile with a single height information or roughly one village and I expect they will work with 1m intervals per tile and that will make  roads and rail lines look like this /\/\/\ 

Edited by FlatSpinMan
FOR CIVILITY

EDITED BY FSM: 50m x 50m per pixel, that is one tile with a single height information or roughly one village and I expect they will work with 1m intervals per tile and that will make  roads and rail lines look like this /\/\/\ .EDITED BY FSM

You don't have Zig-Zag roads and rails in RoF if you are afraid about this. Don't worry about this.

Edited by FlatSpinMan

If that's the size of the BoS map, I have a question to those with good knowledge of the Stalingrad battle.

Tatsinskaya and Morozovskaya airfield were lost by the Germans in late December 1942. Are there any other German airfields outside the Stalingrad pocket after this time on the area of the BoS map? The airfields at Salsk, Novocherkassk or Shakty are all outside the map area.

Interesting question. Wonder what the reasoning is?

I think it would be a good idea to expand the map a few kilometers more to the west, to include at least Novocherkassk and Shakty. The area has few towns and woods, so it shouldn't have much influence on the games performance.

Good news on the map size. As a bomber pilot I look forward to some longer missions. First person to take a google map and show us the approx planned map area gets a cookie.

• Upvote 1

Cookie from me to!

I googelt the places but I'm not sure if I got it right. The first Village is oinly a few SW km from Moscow...?

With a map size like this, how will you ever find the enemy in an iconless environment if no 'tactical air command' via radio is implemented (information dervied from ground observers/radar as far as historically accurate)? I've often heard complaints about Clod's too large map size, probably comparable to BOS, and the difficulty of finding bogeys. Jason said he thinks such a feature wouldn't be so suitable for BOS and probably not be made due to the tactical nature of the Airbattle of Stalingrad, but with mapsizes like this it would really make sense and be a very useful feature.

Other than that, thumbs up for the introductory words, fully agree.

MAC

Thanks for the update !

But I am still wondering how they will pull it off in only few months....When we know all other good  sims took years to built...

They must have something good up their sleaves.... :rolleyes:

Salute !

Very, very, very good news on the skinning system! Thank you!

Can someone in the know point me to a description of the "DN technology" and creation of maps in RoF?

Check out this Subforum at the ROF-Forum. It has alot of good threads about special areas of mapmaking:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=348

With a map size like this, how will you ever find the enemy in an iconless environment if no 'tactical air command' via radio is implemented (information dervied from ground observers/radar as far as historically accurate)? I've often heard complaints about Clod's too large map size, probably comparable to BOS, and the difficulty of finding bogeys. Jason said he thinks such a feature wouldn't be so suitable for BOS and probably not be made due to the tactical nature of the Airbattle of Stalingrad, but with mapsizes like this it would really make sense and be a very useful feature.

Other than that, thumbs up for the introductory words, fully agree.

MAC

There should be no difficulty in finding enemies in BoS if RoF is anything to go by... In COD it was very hard to spot an EA. RoF already has a very large map and I have never heard anyone say they have problems spotting EA's.

Large maps are also needed for online campaigns :D

What will be the map scale? 1:1?

I think that airfileds out-pocket were all very far, 1:30 hour for a Ju-52 (at leat) to reach Stalingrad...

Thanks for the update!

All RoF maps are 1:1 scale.

This one will be 1:1 scale also