How do I Import flight recorder videos to my comp?

Victor_Chevic

Victor_Chevic
I would like to take some of the videos I  made on the BoS “Flight Recorder” and import them to my comp, to edit them with a third party video editor and possibly upload them to you tube. I know this is possible, because it touched on this subject very briefly and I do mean “briefly,” in the BoS user manual. It stated and I quote ….

…..“you can share and back up your tracks by navigating to the \IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad\data\Tracks folder. A complete track file is composed of two main parts; a file with the .trk file extension and a corresponding folder with the same name. You will need both parts in order to properly view, save and share tracks.”……

Well I navigated there ok but what to do next?….It wasn’t to clear on how to play them. I click on them and nothing happens. Anybody know what to do?

[BSS-214]commiekiller18

As far as I know you can only watch them in game under recordings. So you will have to screen capture them wile watching the replay. That's How I do it anyways.

Buzzard

You can watch and actually edit them from within the game. To edit, just pause, change the camera angle or view or rewind etc and then unpause, the final track won't show when you were paused. To record the track to a video format, you can use Nvidia Shadowplay if you have one of those cards. Fraps is another good program for recording.

unreasonable

You can also use FRAPS while looking at your track, and turn it on/off to take small sections once you have found a part of the action and the in-game view you want to record. Rewind, take a few versions.

These get saved as avi.files

You can then use free Movie Maker if you are a cheapskate like me, or better a paid movie program, to select, combine and edit these avi files into a complete product, which saves as a WIMP file which you can re-edit at will.

You can then use save as which gives you an MP4, which you cannot edit - it is your finished film, which is the best format for uploading to Youtube.

For filming a whole track with changed views but without cuts or mixing tracks Sharpe's suggestion works fine. Just be aware that all of these files are very large!

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, SharpeXB said:

You can watch and actually edit them from within the game. To edit, just pause, change the camera angle or view or rewind etc and then unpause, the final track won't show when you were paused. To record the track to a video format, you can use Nvidia Shadowplay if you have one of those cards. Fraps is another good program for recording.

Are you using shadowplay recording AS you edit the video and then cut the "pausing" and whatnot portions after?

Because I'm trying to actually edit the video in-game, but there's no way to record the new, edited format as far as I know.

Do I need to view the track in its entirety for the editing to take effect?

Edited by Sybreed

2 hours ago, Sybreed said:

Are you using shadowplay recording AS you edit the video and then cut the "pausing" and whatnot portions after?

Yes I usually do that. I’ll record everything with Shadowplay including the pauses and then edit the video with Sony Movie Studio. 

56 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Yes I usually do that. I’ll record everything with Shadowplay including the pauses and then edit the video with Sony Movie Studio. 

so the question is... what's the point of the "edit" button in the flight recorder....

24 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

so the question is... what's the point of the "edit" button in the flight recorder....

Well it would be a way to edit video without buying extra software. 

4 hours ago, Sybreed said:

I think that actually edits the track. Check the file size first, then make a large edit to take a piece out, and check again.

Most of the movie making sect just use the track as raw material and edit screen captures instead.  I have made more than a dozen RoF/BoX movies for YouTube and have never used the track edit once. You are better off keeping the whole track until you are sure you have the screen captures you want: afterwards delete the whole track (they take a lot of disc space).

• 2 years later...
Dick_Scratcher

The problem with the standard version of FRAPS is that it captures in AVI format, which results in huge files.  1.3gb for 30 seconds at 1920x1080, for example. 

Movie Maker doesn't support AVI imports, so creating a movie is a bit tedious. You have to find the correct codec or alternatively convert the FRAPS file to another format such as MP4. You can do this via VLC Media Player but the results are very glitch ridden. 

The full version of FRAPS is about $37, when I last looked. 

Why edit the video ? To get more dramatic shots, of course. (D'oh.) Edit, change views, pause, change views, pause, repeat until complete and then SAVE changes on exit. 

Edited by Dick_Scratcher