Photo

Ju-52/3m g4e Introduction

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 6./ZG26_McKvack

6./ZG26_McKvack
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 00:04

So here are a small introduction for the Ju-52 as there are some new things with this plane which can be quite tricky to understand at first sight. This is only a little guide to help with the new things in the Ju-52. To find the more detailed technical info about the plane, you can find it in the game.

Click the images to get a larger version.

First off all some cockpit familiarization(I left out some obvious instruments and some other things that are not so important while flying):

2016_12_19_23_42_32.jpg

Please ignore the "C°". Late and tired :)

On the right side of the pilots seat you will see a wheel and a red little knob. The wheel is used to control the stabilizer and flaps. To control the flaps you need to enable flaps control which is done be moving up the red switch(pressing flaps down) then you use the stabilizer controls to move the wheel up/down. To trim the aircraft you have a vertical stabilizer explained above and a yaw trim located infront of the yoke. Its quite normal to use a lot of left rudder while flying so the yaw trim is quite helpful:

flapwheel.png

On the left side of the yoke you will find a flaps/stabilizer indicator:

flapstabindicator.png

To find the fuel/oil level indicator you need to look outside on each wing: 

2016_12_19_23_42_50.jpg

There is also a parking brake located to the right of the copilot: 

2016_12_19_23_43_9.jpg

To use the wheel brakes you need to move down the throttles below 25%. Moving down engine 1 throttle will brake the left wheel, engine 2 throttle will brake both wheels and engine 3 throttle will brake right wheel. This can be complicated without 3 throttle axis but to simplify this you can use the rudder either left or right then press the "wheel brake" key and if the rudder is to the right then engine 3 throttle(right) will go down to 0% and break the right wheel and you will turn right. Works the same with left rudder and if the rudder is neutral and the brake key is pressed then both engine 1&3 throttles will move to 0% and brake both wheels basically working the same way as any other aircraft ingame. 

I hope this little guide will help you until something better comes out and feel free to ask questions here so we can help and inform each other about this magnificent plane! Also there may be some things that are incorrect above that I missed.

McKvack

Edited by 6./ZG26_McKvack, 20 December 2016 - 00:13.

#2 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 00:12

Very good, just to clarify things a bit on the wheel brakes a bit more:

• Pressing the left wheel brake key (or axis on rudder pedals) will throttle down engine 1.
  • Pressing the right wheel brake key (or axis on rudder pedals) will throttle down engine 3.

So, in that sense, you can brake and steer the plane on the ground much like any other German plane.

#3 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 00:25

Thanks a bunch for this.

The flaps/stab config looks complicated. I'll have to get used to this.

System specs:

Spoiler

#4 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:03

Thanks for this.

Watching 2 flights of Ju52's start their engines, taxi into position and take off in the campaign on a busy airfield...oh my.

Good stuff. I just watched it happen 3 times.

Thank you Devs for this aircraft.

Confused about the cargo load-outs in the editor, but I'm sure that will become clear soon enough.

#5 =38=Tatarenko

=38=Tatarenko
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:13

Re Cargo - to load/unload you have to be stationary on the ground. At that point the Canopy © key opens both the side windows and the cargo bay. Then "drop bomb" key to unload cargo.

#6 [CPT]Pike*HarryM

[CPT]Pike*HarryM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:24

Aha, thanks.

So far is about what you would expect, a big flying school bus (although more stylish ;) ). Seems to fly "honestly" so far, 2 for 2 on landings, 1 with full fuel and cargo, no problem.

kxHDtZx.jpgvfXwFyV.jpg

#7 Kai_Lae

Kai_Lae
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:43

Fixed pitch props right? When I took it out, man, not much for acceleration, and climbing was really hard. Going to need more info on engine limits. 

#8 [CPT]Pike*HarryM

[CPT]Pike*HarryM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:53

Yes, fixed, and automix as well, pretty simple.

kxHDtZx.jpgvfXwFyV.jpg

#9 hames123

hames123

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:54

Have you done any airfield resupply or paradrops in the campaign or multiplayer? If you have, then gow did it go?

#10 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:55

Yes, fixed, and automix as well, pretty simple.

Mixture is not automatic. The inlet cowl flaps and oil radiators are also manually controlled.

Edited by LukeFF, 20 December 2016 - 02:55.

#11 [CPT]Pike*HarryM

[CPT]Pike*HarryM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:03

Oh, I thought I read that somewhere, my bad. I did find the cooling controls.

kxHDtZx.jpgvfXwFyV.jpg

#12 Plurp

Plurp
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:03

Having a blast in the Ju-52, thanks for doing this!

#13 1./TG1_Nil

1./TG1_Nil
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:10

Thank you McKvack,

I am so glad that they added a clock (not visible in screenshot they made!)

Here are my first impressions I wrote on the 2.006 topic!

Spoiler

Handling the flaps is getting easy with practice (like many things in life!)

I am learning how to taxi before doing anything in campaign or MP.

Gosh I love the way this plane is modelled! I never saw that in ANY sim.

Lots of night without sleeping ah! :)

Edited by Nil, 20 December 2016 - 04:11.

What is 1./TG1? Il2 BoX very first virtual Transport squadron!  Visit our Discord Channel https://discord.gg/9yt6mT9 to fly with us!

B1Omr3.jpg

#14 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:11

Some thoughts...

• First campaign mission, I encountered a Yak at 2k. I dove, but with the low max dive speed (380 I think?) that wasn't much help. I kept an eye on him and dodged, only getting a fuel leak, but then he rammed me and that was the end of that.
  • On initial takeoff roll, i found using breaks was too much because of the throttle decrease and I ended up swaying down the runway, but rudder is plenty.

Have you done any airfield resupply or paradrops in the campaign or multiplayer? If you have, then gow did it go?

Did a paradrop quick mission and cargo drop campaign mission- was fun, easy enough, and in the campaign the messages are helpful in determining when you're right above the drop zone. Will be trickier on multiplayer without help messages or nav icons, but that's certainly historical!

Fixed pitch props right? When I took it out, man, not much for acceleration, and climbing was really hard. Going to need more info on engine limits. 

Definitely super slow acceleration. I was taxiing at 80% wondering how it would take off, but with such a low takeoff speed, it managed. Engine limits seem pretty simple. You can run max or close to it in many/most situations, except for low altitude or just after the supercharger kicks in.

Thanks a bunch for this.

I thought so too but you get used to it after a couple flights. Basically, you control the stabilizer, and the flaps button connects or disconnects the flaps to the stabilizer control (flaps down to connect, flaps up to disconnect). 

For takeoff, stabilizer to +2 degrees or ~67%. Then engage the link with flaps down. Then move the stab to +0 degrees or 0%, simultaneously moving flaps to 25 degrees and like 57% or something.

For landing, stab to +2 degrees again. Then engage the link. Then move the stab to -1.5 degrees, idk%, simultaneously moving flaps to 40 degrees or 100%.

Seems the flap axis range is about half the size of that of the stabilizer.

#15 Yogiflight

Yogiflight

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:57

What do you have to open, when you do an airdrop, cargo or paratroopers, the canopy or open bomb bay doors?

#16 Plurp

Plurp
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:34

What do you have to open, when you do an airdrop, cargo or paratroopers, the canopy or open bomb bay doors?

For para-drops, just hit the bomb key once.  For cargo unloading on the ground, open canopy, which opens the cargo doors, then hit the bomb key.  With technochat on, you will get a count up to 100%.

Edited by Beedo, 20 December 2016 - 05:53.

#17 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:04

Noticed if you bail out you seem to be the first one running out of that cargo door, followed by your aircrew, only then do the paratroopers start to bail out. It seems it takes them a second or two to realize no-one is flying the plane and all the aircrew have jumped out :).

#18 =TBAS=DendroAspis

=TBAS=DendroAspis
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:31

Flaps don't seem to work..... 

I disable flaps and can use the trim and wheel moves etc... when I enable flaps I use the trim again but nothing happens?

Marmaduke Pattle.

Gigabyte z87-hd3, Core i5, 8Gb Ram, 128GB SSD, 1 Tb Seagate, Asus Strix GTX 970 OC, Win 8.1, Samsung 24" Monitor, Saitek X-55 Rhino

#19 =TBAS=DendroAspis

=TBAS=DendroAspis
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:50

Working now. Is the trim supposed to continue adjusting whilst you adjust flaps? Weird.

Marmaduke Pattle.

Gigabyte z87-hd3, Core i5, 8Gb Ram, 128GB SSD, 1 Tb Seagate, Asus Strix GTX 970 OC, Win 8.1, Samsung 24" Monitor, Saitek X-55 Rhino

#20 310_cibule

310_cibule
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:09

Thx guys. Very helpful.

MSI Z97 GAMING 5, i7-4790K, 16GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 960 GTX 4GB, SSD 250GB + 120GB, Windows 10, 27" BenQ GL2750HM, MS Sidewinder FF, Pedals Happy, Saitek Quadrant, CH Throttle, Home made Trim Box, TrackIR 5

#21 6./ZG26_McKvack

6./ZG26_McKvack
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:15

Working now. Is the trim supposed to continue adjusting whilst you adjust flaps? Weird.

Yes thats intended because when you engage the flaps its the stabilizer wheel who changes the flaps however the stabilizer is moving as well since the flaps control switch does not disable stabilizer inputs.

Edited by 6./ZG26_McKvack, 20 December 2016 - 09:15.

#22 6./ZG26_Asgar

6./ZG26_Asgar
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:16

Thanks a bunch for this.

i was scared by that as well, but after taking of and landing 2 or 3 times it almost feels natural :)

#23 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:34

It's really enjoyable to fly and suprisingly aerobatic if you haven't tried it yet :cool:

Really hoping for sby to coe up with a MedEvac mission sometime soon, it really has nice short field lading capabilities.

YdcExnd.jpg Ju 87 D-3 4K Skin Template
Beta Tester Ju-52 Early Supporter Ju 52/3m g4 4K Skin Template

#24 Mukai

Mukai

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:01

Is there any way to hop into the copilots seat? Otherwise I can't see my right wing

#25 BlitzPig_EL

BlitzPig_EL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:30

Made my first flight as an airstart, then landed, then tried to take off and only the center engine will throttle up, even with all selected.

I'm a bit stumped here.

8wxp.jpg

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov

#26 6./ZG26_Asgar

6./ZG26_Asgar
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:31

are you standing on the breaks? because the breaks will cut your throttle, due to the way the break systems works on the Ju-52

#27 Habu

Habu
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:32

Is there any way to hop into the copilots seat? Otherwise I can't see my right wing

Not at that moment. We hope in the future. On the wing you have the fuel and oil level indicator. and behind the copilot, the light switch.

Edited by Habu, 20 December 2016 - 12:33.

#28 BlitzPig_EL

BlitzPig_EL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:33

Not unless i have an issue with my CH pedals.

I'll look into more tonight, off to work now...

8wxp.jpg

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov

#29 Mukai

Mukai

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:49

Not at that moment. We hope in the future. On the wing you have the fuel and oil level indicator. and behind the copilot, the light switch.

No worries, thanks I thought I was missing something in the controls :) Congrats btw, freaking love the plane!! :)

One other thing, possible bug, but I can't move the pilots 'seat' or head position forward or back slowly, its either all or nothing (ie all the way forward or all the way back) just a heads up (no pun intended)

#30 [CPT]Pike*HarryM

[CPT]Pike*HarryM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:26

I wonder why the center (#2) RPM gauge is different...

l5DUK0W.jpg

kxHDtZx.jpgvfXwFyV.jpg

#31 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:43

I was asking myself that very same question.......

And for what it's worth: I would be very happy if the devs could shift the engine numbers to 1-3-2, so my levers for the outer engines are the same as for all twin engine planes. The lever for eng 3 can than be assigned to something else.

This would really help me to get the breaking of the aircraft and the throttling up/down a bit more easy.

Edited by Bando, 20 December 2016 - 19:45.

System specs:

Spoiler

#32 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:39

And for what it's worth: I would be very happy if the devs could shift the engine numbers to 1-3-2, so my levers for the outer engines are the same as for all twin engine planes. The lever for eng 3 can than be assigned to something else.

This would really help me to get the breaking of the aircraft and the throttling up/down a bit more easy.

I would like this too.

However, they've made it workable by still making the toe brake buttons work. I've got engine 3 mapped to my right throttle, along with 2, so I can't brake historical by throttling down or I lose my center engine. But I can still use the toe brake buttons without moving the throttles.

It kind of stinks because I was excited to fly this plane as historical as possible, but given all the other coolness about the Ju-52 I can live with it. In a perfect world, maybe they add our preferred 1-3-2 as an option in the future.

#33 Shepherd

Shepherd

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:51

Made my first flight as an airstart, then landed, then tried to take off and only the center engine will throttle up, even with all selected.

I'm a bit stumped here.

I had the same issue. After a reboot it worked all normal...

"Das erste mal so richtig Angst um mein Leben hatte ich bei meinem zweiten Absturz..." 

- Hans Hopp; Ju88 Pilot

#34 216th_Cat

216th_Cat
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:55

I asked for this before. Disappointed not to find it working this way. I do not want to reassign my throttle levers just for this a/c. So far I have engines 1 and 3 mapped to the left-hand throttle lever on the Warthog Hotas; not an ideal solution at all.

I also dislike the toebrake 'solution'; bloody engines keep cutting the throttles when I'm least expecting it.

Cheers.

PS Thanks for the intro, McKvack.

Edited by 216th_Cat, 20 December 2016 - 21:01.

#35 Space_Ghost

Space_Ghost
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:56

I don't understand why they didn't do 1-3-2 in the first place.  :mellow:

#36 Gambit21

Gambit21
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 21:01

I expect this changed very soon.

#37 1./TG1_Nil

1./TG1_Nil
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 21:25

engines keep cutting the throttles when I'm least expecting it.

Cheers.

Try to not use your toebrakes. You can increase their dead zone.

What is 1./TG1? Il2 BoX very first virtual Transport squadron!  Visit our Discord Channel https://discord.gg/9yt6mT9 to fly with us!

B1Omr3.jpg

#38 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 21:57

I wonder why the center (#2) RPM gauge is different...

The center gauge is mechanically operated, while the outer ones are electrically operated. Why Junkers designed it to be that way, I don't know, though.

#39 Bando

Bando
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 21:59

Thanks Luke.

System specs:

Spoiler

#40 [CPT]Pike*HarryM

[CPT]Pike*HarryM

Posted 20 December 2016 - 22:07

Ah, maybe because the Ju-52 originally just had the center engine and the other 2 were added on to create the Ju-52/3m.

kxHDtZx.jpgvfXwFyV.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users