Gambit21

Ju52 flight time poll

Ju52 Flight time in sim - what is your realistic tolerance  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How long are you willing to fly the Ju52 per mission (one way) in single player?

• 10-15 minutes
    • 15-25 minutes
    • 30 - 45 minutes
    • 45 minutes to an hour
    • 1 hour to 90 minutes

Since there's a lot of you here right now, I figured this was a good time to ask this.

I've been meanign to post a poll anyway.

While making the campaign for the Ju52, I find myself wondering just how far, how long many of you will realistically want to fly this plane

in an offline campaign. Not every mission will be the same...I'm not going for the repetitive real-life, boring grind with this thing - it's a bit more adventrous.

Still I want to know, with your busy life, family, school, job, kids, other activities, limited time...how long on average would you

care to fly this thing before you're tempted to hit 8X.

I have very limited stick time, and tend to hit time accell...which would basically negate the entire point of flying the Ju52.

So I'm trying to find the right balance.

Help me out - what is your tolerance level?

Anyone who doesn't want to fly for an hour to 90 minutes can just use autopilot and time compression, so make them as long as you want  :salute:

As long as it takes to get the mission done.

For an offline mission I would be looking at around an hour but that really depends on how interesting the mission is!!

A 3 hour mission plus time doing the objective (unloading for example) is too much 

Edited by AeroAce

No problem with more than hour if necessary. Especially if there are problems other than enemy aircraft to solve - e.g. navigation, weather, fuel consumption. Plus I'd like to taxi out and in every mission as well.

As much immersion as can be put in - except for cold engine starts...

Cheers.

I'd be on for some long missions of an hour plus, maybe mixed with some shorter ones.

Nice question Gambit! I need to try the campaign to tell you. I will tell you then.

Immersion is key but that does not mean It has to be a long mission! In fact sometimes the longer u play something the more immersion is broken as u start to realise it is not real! 

I would go for a balance in mission design between time and immersion

Hard question. As someone pointed out above one can always forward time so it doesn't matter too much for me but around 30min minimum one way at least. One hour one way would be interesting and fun. Would love to fly from Tatsinskaya into the pocket. 

Fun fact, you can actually see remains from google earth from Tatsinskaya airfield where the Ju-52 operated. Its just south from the village. You can also spot the old taxiway going to the runway at Gumrak at the current Gumrak airport :) 

• Upvote 1

Stalingrad/Gumrak will come later if there's enough positive response to this one - which is using the Moscow map.

This is more "somewhere on the Eastern Front" kind of thing, historically plausible, but taking lots of liberties...some commando

insertion and extraction goodness, medical evacuation, VIP transport...supply drop obviously.

I like the look of the Moscow map better, so went this way first.

Edited by Gambit21

I bought it to support the title.

I never intend to fly it, I intend to shoot them down.                                          

Hard question. As someone pointed out above one can always forward time so it doesn't matter too much for me but around 30min minimum one way at least. One hour one way would be interesting and fun. Would love to fly from Tatsinskaya into the pocket. 

Fun fact, you can actually see remains from google earth from Tatsinskaya airfield where the Ju-52 operated. Its just south from the village. You can also spot the old taxiway going to the runway at Gumrak at the current Gumrak airport :)

It would be good to have a historically accurate mission or two, I believe it was about 1.25 hrs from Tatsinskaya to Gumrak, most flights in mostly very poor weather

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

It would be good to have a historically accurate mission or two, I believe it was about 1.25 hrs from Tatsinskaya to Gumrak, most flights in mostly very poor weather

Cheers Dakpilot

I thought about the doing the historical Gumrak/pocket grind, but the reality is that this repetition would get very old to most players in very short order - not only that but it's the obvious place

to go and I'm sure someone will create that campaign. If not then I'll perhaps make it happen after this current one. 

Although after this campaign is complete I'll likely start creating historical Midway flights/groups (every flight at it's actual landing time, take off time, etc) to be pasted

onto the Midway map later. Then I'll take a break when Kuban get's here and do a Kuban Ju52 or A-20 campaign. :)

Just depends...if enough people want Gumrak and nobody is working on it by a certain point...I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Upvote 1

Stalingrad/Gumrak will come later if there's enough positive response to this one - which is using the Stalingrad map.

This is more "somewhere on the Eastern Front" kind of thing, historically plausible, but taking lots of  liberties...some commando

insertion and extraction goodness, medical evacuation, VIP transport...supply drop obviously.

Sounds amazing! Cant wait to try it :) 

For me, up to 45 minutes mission is good. Even 1 hour is ok.

Not quite sure , To me there must be something more than just mission accomplished  after drop, I can fly it quite a long time, but there must be a reason for doing so. I hope triggers can be made like taking over a airfield after a 3 ship formation drop soldiers, and supplies afterward. I think online features will count the most. 

It is not quite that interesting without a story to fly offline

You'll be happy I think - I'm not messing with online mission building until I have Pacific + CoOps.

Stalingrad/Gumrak will come later if there's enough positive response to this one - which is using the Stalingrad map.

-snip-

I'm a bit confused here, will the campaign take place on the Moscow map or the Stalingrad one?

I'm a bit confused here, will the campaign take place on the Moscow map or the Stalingrad one?

Moscow for now - although if time allows I'll make one or two 'bonus' missions over Stalingrad and provide them with this release. I'm getting faster with the editor so that's a distinct possibility.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Edited by Gambit21

Hey Gambit, Thank you again for making this campaign.

Here are my suggestions:

The official Tante Ju is flying at night. Flying at night is beautiful, but flying at daylight is nice. 

My suggestion is that you balance between daylight and night missions.

Also, flying in formation with an another Tante Ju would be nice for 1 or more missions.

A mission where we have to avoid AA fire is good: the goal would be finding a spot where there is no AA.

Also a off strip landing (to take a spy , or rescue a crashed bomber crew) would be interesting as well.

All planned Nil!

I have it all scripted out - just going down the script and building each mission one at a time.

You'll be number 3 or 4 most of the time except for a few 'special' ops missions.

Do me a favor, test 'off strip' landing on the Moscow map for me.

Land, take off, and tell me how it goes. Then PM me.

I don't have much time for flying right now, just making and testing missions.

A few will require me to fly a little, like the one we're talking about. But not there yet.

I need a little recon to tell me what the landing/ground behavior is like and if it's possible.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 2

Count on me Gambit, I am on it!  I will investigate ASAP! I am glad to help and to be useful since MP have not made Tante Ju Assignment yet.

EDIT: Moscow Map, but what season?

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 1

Here are what I found:

Landing on snow is possible, but take off is not possible even without loadout and 25% fuel

With not loadout and 100% fuel:

post-467-0-03455400-1482357704_thumb.jpg

With no loadout and 25% fuel :

post-467-0-39582500-1482358264_thumb.jpg

Landing on ice is possible and take of is possible with full load and 100% . In fact it is very easy.

post-467-0-23289900-1482357707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nil
  • Upvote 2

OK - thank you. 

The frozen lake beds and these special missions are part of the reason I chose Moscow instead of Stalingrad - I was concerned about trying to

land/take off in snow.

Thank you for confirming.

• Upvote 1

A Ju-52 campaign - cool stuff!

If you need beta tester, count me in.

According to the poll - 45 minutes to an hour would be fine for me.

Thx for your efforts.

:salute: 
Flo