Jason_Williams

Please Read - A Heads Up on Update 2.006

Jason, just a heads up although you're probably already aware.

There's a bug which prevents more than 2 AI aircraft from taxiing and taking off correctly, thus hamstringing the ability to create decent sized formations unless

it's an air start. Even 3 aircraft presents a problem, so I'm having to keep my flights small. For immersion purposes and to help us create

engaging missions, it would be fantastic if this behavior was fixed. It would be nice if at least a 4 ship would taxi from the revetment, get into position in an

acceptable amount of time, and take off. More obviously would be even better.

I've already mentioned this in the bugs sub-thread but thought it worth mentioning here.

The difference in effect between taking off in a 2 plane formation and even a 4 plane formation is huge.

Jason, just a heads up although you're probably already aware.

There's a bug which prevents more than 2 AI aircraft from taxiing and taking off correctly, thus hamstringing the ability to create decent sized formations unless

it's an air start. Even 3 aircraft presents a problem, so I'm having to keep my flights small. For immersion purposes and to help us create

engaging missions, it would be fantastic if this behavior was fixed. It would be nice if at least a 4 ship would taxi from the revetment, get into position in an

acceptable amount of time, and take off. More obviously would be even better.

I've already mentioned this in the bugs sub-thread but thought it worth mentioning here.

The difference in effect between taking off in a 2 plane formation and even a 4 plane formation is huge.

I havent found that issue at all, I've been able to taxi and takeoff formations of 6-5 planes.

Look at your airfield map and edit the taxi points.

I havent found that issue at all, I've been able to taxi and takeoff formations of 6-5 planes. Look at your airfield map and edit the taxi points.

Same for me, it's ok. Sometimes the last one take a little bit more time to take its take off position.

But all the planes do not have the same way to taxi. So which plane.

During the beta, my test for taxing are with a group of 3 planes (in summer and winter, on ground and hard airfiled), and a group of 4 planes with bombs on an airfield which have trees.

Lets talk about that in another post where we can developp.

*Whispers*  Do it... Doooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...

[if you don't, how will you fly the '52 obstacle course? Can't wait to see if it can squeeze under that ruined bridge in Stalingrad...] Also, expect some supply drop into the V. Luki citadel competitions. Tom, you'll be out in the cold, staring through the window pane, wondering why you can't join all the cool kidz  inside having fun...  :cool:

Also, return of the Mothy  Dreadnought slug-fest. Heinkel dorsal gun vs Ju 52 dorsal gun, etc, etc...

Ooooooh I'm so tempted!

Not.

:)

von Tom

I havent found that issue at all, I've been able to taxi and takeoff formations of 6-5 planes.

Look at your airfield map and edit the taxi points.

Please post a working example if you have one. Same experience as Gambit for me.

This is great!

I understood that DirectX 11 will improve our FPS, but is thing that helps with aliasing? That is one of the effects that I hate in games, really much.

Alising is only an issue with clouds. It was said earlier that this was a engne issue caused by the mthod they use to render clouds.

Since it has not been announced I would not expect it.

Alising is only an issue with clouds. It was said earlier that this was a engne issue caused by the mthod they use to render clouds.

Since it has not been announced I would not expect it.

Not just with clouds - look at horizont from alt about 300 m - distant roads, rivers some ground textures are aliasing / shimmering, this can be reduced by sparse grid super sampling but it's only dx9 future and cost a lot in performance espacialy during effects like dust, smoke, clouds.

Please post a working example if you have one. Same experience as Gambit for me.

I'll post something tonight in the mission making thread.

• Upvote 1

Not just with clouds - look at horizont from alt about 300 m - distant roads, rivers some ground textures are aliasing / shimmering, this can be reduced by sparse grid super sampling but it's only dx9 future and cost a lot in performance espacialy during effects like dust, smoke, clouds.

Well this one seems very hardware dependent. I have tried various suggestions regarding use of SGSS and DSR and noticed little difference on my end while others sayed its night and day for them. I barely notice any flickering/alising of that kind ingame in the first place.

What was sayed to be improved is the colour bit space (already happened for skybox to decrese colour banding) which might help with your issue. 16x Anisotrophy would certainly help as well (right now its locked to 8).

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

Well this one seems very hardware dependent. I have tried various suggestions regarding use of SGSS and DSR and noticed little difference on my end while others sayed its night and day for them. I barely notice any flickering/alising of that kind ingame in the first place.

What was sayed to be improved is the colour bit space (already happened for skybox to decrese colour banding) which might help with your issue. 16x Anisotrophy would certainly help as well (right now its locked to 8).

It's not "my issue" and it is present in this game since Rise in Flight and well acknowledged loudly by many nvidia users so if you are not seeing this you are in minnority or/and just ignoring it/do not know where and when to look :) Edited by 307_Tomcat

Really looking forward to this update and the new possibilities added for the Ju-52, should make the IL-2 skies quite a bit more interesting. :cool:  :salute:

Hopefully sales of that aircraft will now increase considerably and make all the hard work the development team has put into it worth their

time and effort, maybe also pave the way for other equally interesting aircraft and features in the future. ;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

please understand that THERE WILL BE BUGS in this release. They are simply inevitable with an update this size. We are already planning for a Hotfix afterwards so don't panic. So, if you see a bug, report it in a civil polite manner. The team has been putting in long hours and weekends to get this update ready for you so please be kind.

Jason, did the screenshots what you made was here DX11 used??? I ask because I see the green FPS Counter on your screenshots that show how the Performance struggle from 49 FPS to 59 FPS depending on scene. I am sitting here, scratching my head, wondering if this was DX11??? Don't be mad at me that I ask this Question! I just like to know it because you showed the green FPS Counter how the game performs :)

Jason, did the screenshots what you made was here DX11 used??? I ask because I see the green FPS Counter on your screenshots that show how the Performance struggle from 49 FPS to 59 FPS depending on scene. I am sitting here, scratching my head, wondering if this was DX11??? Don't be mad at me that I ask this Question! I just like to know it because you showed the green FPS Counter how the game performs :)

Those numbers don't mean anything unless you know what system the shots where taken on. I'm sure it doesn't have a Titan X (P). And i think people need should be careful about their expectations.... All in all this is going to remain a demanding game. Yes, just like with 64bit, DX11 will help. But an old outdated Rig remains an old outdated Rig.

Grt M

• Upvote 5

Those numbers don't mean anything unless you know what system the shots where taken on. I'm sure it doesn't have a Titan X (P). And i think people need should be careful about their expectations.... All in all this is going to remain a demanding game. Yes, just like with 64bit, DX11 will help. But an old outdated Rig remains an old outdated Rig.

Grt M

Not sure what you mean with demanding? Even my very old AMD A8-3870K with AMD HD 6550 could handle Full HD + Balanced Setttings very well with a respectable Performance under DX9 if you know how to manage it. Going higher with better hardware higher the Performance will increase exponential. Running steady 60 FPS with my new rig under DX9. I expect under DX11 the steady 120 FPS. This is what I expect. Why  should I be careful with my expectations? It was said: " almost a 2x increase or more in FPS depending on the scene under DX11 ". My expectations going align what was said what we can expecting not sure that I doing something big wrong with my expectations?

Depending in scene is the word here. It will probably show very different results for very different hardware. Old hardware that is not 'made' for dx11 will probably not profit that much from the update as newer rigs will.

Not sure what you mean with demanding? Even my very old AMD A8-3870K with AMD HD 6550 could handle Full HD + Balanced Setttings very well with a respectable Performance under DX9 if you know how to manage it. Going higher with better hardware higher the Performance will increase exponential. Running steady 60 FPS with my new rig under DX9. I expect under DX11 the steady 120 FPS. This is what I expect. Why  should I be careful with my expectations? It was said: " almost a 2x increase or more in FPS depending on the scene under DX11 ". My expectations going align what was said what we can expecting not sure that I doing something big wrong with my expectations?

You're not doing anything wrong, but predicting PC performance results is very difficult and extremely tricky. Just look at the performance benchmarks for popular games. You can't calculate these numbers like math... There are just to many factors to consider.

Bottom-line. Performance will improve significantly, but i would not assume that you can just double your average FPS. That IMHO naive.  

Grt M

Not sure what you mean with demanding? Even my very old AMD A8-3870K with AMD HD 6550 could handle Full HD + Balanced Setttings very well with a respectable Performance under DX9 if you know how to manage it. Going higher with better hardware higher the Performance will increase exponential. Running steady 60 FPS with my new rig under DX9. I expect under DX11 the steady 120 FPS. This is what I expect. Why should I be careful with my expectations? It was said: " almost a 2x increase or more in FPS depending on the scene under DX11 ". My expectations going align what was said what we can expecting not sure that I doing something big wrong with my expectations?

The landed ju52 shot in the dark shows 62fps with ground fire (really good), so it depends on the screen resolution you set as well. As long as CPU is not overloaded with other planes nearby, Once my GPU is at 100%, framerates start to slow down regardless. We will have to wait and see. But I'm hopeful for 60fps on ground with action around me and 90-120 in the air. I've got vsync at 60 fps, so higher than 60 will be good for Oculus. 120fps everywhere will not happen as far as I know.

Edited by Smok

As said, FPS depends of CPU and GPU. So some PC will have a X2 and another one will have x1.5 for the same action. And you can have variation between action in the same mission. So sometimes, you'll have x1.5 and sometimes X2 or other improvment. What is sure, is that there will be an improvment.

I can't give you any result of my test, but on my old PC which is saved by the GPU, my FPS increase.

Here is my PC (an old one)

Asus P5K

Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3 GHZ stock)

8 GO DDR2

980 GTX with 4 GO  (driver : 368.81 , not the last one)

SSD System : Crucial M4 128 GO

HDD Game: Velociraptor 1 TO

HDD Data/backup : WD green 2 TO

SSD Game : Crucial M4 256 GO ( IL2 and IL2 beta version are on that SSD)

Windows Seven Ultimate (all update done)

Track IR 5

Hotas Warthog

MS Force feedback 2

Saitek Quadrant

Antivirus (eset smart security) is set whith an exclusion on IL2 directory.

For information, i found a trick to compare a track from a 2.005 version and a 2.006 beta which is DX11 (it's not supported by the dev, and not official). So i have the same action at the same moment. I did a video to show to the dev, that i can't post here (except if Jason give me his agreement) where i can compare in live with DX9 on one side, and DX11 on the other one.

For those who want to test, and if it still work for the release.

1- Play a mission in v2.005 and do a track.

2- Play the track using fraps, bandicam or other programm to show the FPS.

3- Record the track with the FPS displayed using fraps, bandicam, or other programm.

I used bandicam which took less ressources.

Then when DX11 version will be release :

- Copy the mission and track from the v2.005 in your DX11 version at the right place

- Delete msnbin file in the DX11 version

- Open the mission with the ME 2.006.

- Save the mission

- Go in the track directory from the DX11 version.

- Delete the mission files in the track folder. Do not delete the cam file.

- Copy the mission you saved

- Run the game

- Run the track.

- Display FPS

- Record a video with FPS displayed

- Compare with your dx9 record. You can open 2 VLC or any video player.

Edited by Habu
  • Upvote 2

Already stated multiple times that FPS improvements are on particular scenes and not 'across the board' 

DX11 should help with bottleneck when a lot of info needed to be passed to Grx card, but your CPU still needs to process that info and your Grx card be able to cope with it, if either falls short, DX11 is more efficient in many cases, but not a magic fix

Cheers Dakpilot

S!

Our server ("VirtualPilots - Moscow Warbirds") will take these features into use as soon as they land :) .. Repeating myself here:

A request as a server keeper:

As we don't yet have a russian counterpart, it would be nice to have russian skin for the Ju-52, and the ability to lock the skin for just this plane (and keep other skins unlocked on the server).

This way we can enable it for the Russian side also, and keep the skins otherwise open.

+1,

I really want to fly Tante Ju in MP, if that is what it takes, I am all for it.

A green one with red star should be good enough!

Not everyone will experience two times performance. Not everything will be butter smooth. FPS still fluctuates and it's still easy to overload a scene and crush performance. Your expectations and your attempt to put us in a box will not work. Everyone's experience will be different. In most cases, assuming you have a system that can take advantage of DX11 you should see noticible improvement in FPS. As I said above there is going to be growing pains and no two systems will perform the same.

Jason

• Upvote 10

How can I fly it on the axis side if it is not even available on the multiplayer server because Russian do not have a transport yet? do you get my point?

It is a request from a server keeper.

Historically Russian had a few Ju52 during the war, but they did not used much as Russian AA servant shoot at them.

http://karopka.ru/community/user/8686/?MODEL=281283

Edited by Nil

i7 with GTX 1080 all settings maxxed out, 90% of the time perfect smooth play,above 60 FPS, now and then a few mini pauses.

Hope Direct X helps with getting rid of the mini pauses, and paves the road for increased smokes and better graphics in the future.

How can I fly it on the axis side if it is not even available on the multiplayer server because Russian do not have a transport yet? do you get my point?

It is a request from a server keeper.

Historically Russian had a few Ju52 during the war, but they did not used it as Russian AA servant shoot at them.

http://karopka.ru/community/user/8686/?MODEL=281283

I understand and think it makes sense for a Li-2 to be produced eventually(I hope!) , but I think the DED and TAW guys will embrace the asymmetry of it in gameplay on their servers. 

There are some things that the Soviet planeset can do better as well.

Edited by Silas

No I don't get the point about not being able to have it on a multiplayer server,... surely it will be available for the Axis side as soon as it is released?

Then Wait and see how it will be used on WOL , RExpert and TAW the 3 most popular server.

I just hope Tante Ju will be aways available to fly with missions objectives.

Good work lads. I'm interested to see how DX11 performs.

Thanks

Some seem to think it fixes what ails you and also picks your kids up from school. I'm going to just wait and see. :)

• Upvote 2