Goblin

Found a small joystick software that might be interesting

Interesting, allow set response curves, manage FFB effects selectively:

action_response_curve.jpg

vjoy_configuration.jpg

Joy_Gremlin.jpgimagur

The "inconvenient" is the VCRedist install dependence - what can mess certain games. :) 

Edited by Sokol1

Hello,

Is there a users forum somewhere to get some help ?

I haven't found one.

Thanks

Hello,

Thnaks a lot for answer. I enlist in RSI but was unable to find "gremlin joystick" information (but I got some on gremlin dangerous space monsters :o: ).

The given link gives me a "something goes wrong..." message.

Have a nice day.

For me the link provided by Sokol1 works ok.

I do however have an account at RSI.

Confirmed

Hi,

Thanks but it seems that I do not have access to this part of the forum. I asked why, waiting for an answer.

Have a nice day.

OK I got an answer. To be able to access this part (hardware) of the forum, I need to be a backer (I need to buy something).

So if somebody can tell me where I could find support for Gremplin, fine.

Thanks for helping.

Edited by KpaxBos

Thank you for the info. The manual is well done.

I have mailed the developper on RSI hope I will get some answer.

Have Fun

A question, did anyone managed to make BOS accept the axes? I use the repeater that the program has but no luck. I set it to administrator level as the manual suggests . Also KraxBos if you get in touch with the programmer please ask if there is a way to make repeated key presses on an axis range instead of a single press.

Hello,

Here the answers WhiteMagic kindly gave me.

REPEATED KEY PRESS

For the first question, yeah if you want to do anything other then holding down a key when an axis is in a specific range you will need to write a script for that. If it's a sequence of key presses, i.e. a simple macro, then the macro system can be used from within that script. If it's a more complex thing like say repeatedly press a set of keys with a pause in between then using the timer / threading functionality inside python would be probably be the most effective solution.

NOT RECOGNIZED AXIS. I FORGOT TO TELL HIM THAT IT WAS FOR IL2 AND NOT SC.
With regards to SC having issues seeing the axis. Is it that SC detects the other inputs instead of the virtual ones from Gremlin in the key binding section or is it that it simply doesn't react to them in game? If it's the key binding thing then you will have to use the "Tools -> Input Repeater" function. This repeats your last input after a short pause, circumventing the case where a game reads the physical input before the virtual one. To use that you'd move the axis / press the button and then let go of the input. Next you double click the item you want to bind in SC and wait for the repeat input to be picked up.
If it's the case that the binding is good but the game doesn't see the input then the only thing I could think of right now is that windows managed to reorder the devices and vjoy no longer has it's "old" id. I've had this happen to me quite often especially with more and more devices hooked up. And since SC uses the windows device id to enumerate the devices a change in that order will ruin the configuration.

Thanks for the answers.

For the first part (repeated key pressing), I was trying to make differential brakes being pressed while rudder axis at 95%. I do this now with another utility, but it would be nice if I could have all functionalities in one program, so I need to learn Python I guess.

For the axis recognition problem I ll check again, even throw it seems to me that the movement of repeater is not linear but jumps from value to value and that's why IL2 can't pick it up. While I was experimenting I engaged the repeater and watched how the vJoy axis was moving in Windows settings , it wasn't traveling along the axis as e.g. JoystickCurves does, but it was jumping from 100% to 50 to 30 (not accurate values just rough estimate)

Edited by KG200_Volker

For the first part (repeated key pressing), I was trying to make differential brakes being pressed while rudder axis at 95%. I do this now with another utility, but it would be nice if I could have all functionalities in one program, so I need to learn Python I guess.

Hello,

May be this can help :

http://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/interface/

See remap curve section.

In the attached images, I tried to send "VV" (activate vJoy button 5 + macro VV) whne my axis was in a certain range. This seems to do the job. But I cannot figure out how to send a continuous "V" (press + release after a certain time). In this example, each time I cross the trigger, the action is done (VV sent).

Made a test in IL2 replacing the "VV" by a drop bomb command (b). I launched game and the command works. Each time I press my roll axis (x) further than 0.5, a bomb was dropped. This even if I do not map the axis (keep the original one). I succeed also to map the new vJoy axis and get the same results.

Have a nice day.

Images.zip

Edited by KpaxBos

Thank you KpaxBos, yes thats what I did too, but one key press whenever the axis goes in to selected range. We need a script for repeated key-presses.

Macro is no good because the point is to either repeat or keep held the Left or Right wheel brakes while in axis range, so if you have a macro repeating for 5 times the key press, you might turn your rudder for 1 sec in range, the macro starts and continuous even after you turned you ruder out of it, thus pressing the brakes when you don t need them.

This utility does the trick but as I said I m trying for all in one!

http://www.deinmeister.de/joycur_e.htm

@KG200_Volker :

My question :

How to you do to hold down a key while axis is greater than 80% of its range ? For example :
if throttle_value > 0.8:
       keypress_B = True # as long as throttle_value is in this range
else:
      keypress_B = False # key is released

This without using python scripting.

WhiteMagic Answer:

Anyways with regards to your question, currently it's impossible to do what your described only with the UI. The "Trigger between" function on axis was only ever intended to be used to press a joystick button, say afterburner when the throttle is at 95% or higher. That being said I've written a small python module that uses the same underlying code but triggers one macro when you enter a specified range and another one when you leave it. In the example I press (and hold) the left shift key and then upon leaving the left shift key is released again.

You can find the code here: https://gist.github.com/WhiteMagic/237217bd870b2a7f8522bd1ae1f69202 if you want this to press the "b" key all you have to do is replace the "gremlin.macro.Keys.LShift" entries with "gremlin.macro.Keys.B". You probably will also have to change the range in which this triggers, though by the looks of it you want it to trigger in the range [0.8, 1.0] which is what the script does. The other thing you will have to modify is the device decorator "t16000", but the value of that one you can copy from the "gremlin_code.py" in the "%userprofile"\Joystick Gremlin" folder.

I've made a few replies in the thread about Gremlin with regards to the macro functionality and that at the moment it is very rudimentary but I'm probably going to be looking into improving it once I am done with the next release. Another thing to note is that the macro will hold the button down but, unlike you physically holding a keyboard key down, will not send repeated key strokes. So some games will have issues with that and I'm not sure if IL2 is one of them.

Have fun

I have modified the code to activate flaps up flaps down via th Gladiator throttle. Just to test. No real use :-)

Attached the modified code and the mapping of the axis in vjoy.

macro_jg_flaps.zip

Edited by KpaxBos

OK, thanx the man for all his help and of course yourself. I tried to use his code but probably I m doing something wrong in implementing the joyid because I get errors upon loading the module. If you have the time request upon the next update a Key press-repeater if possible with a time setting between key-presses.

Now I solved my problem with a side trick which might be useful for you too. Instead of setting a key press for my differential brakes I ve set my rudder physical axis in an extra vjoy axis (eg 5), then I set this axis in the sim for the brakes and lastly I ve set the dead zone to 0.95 on both ends. Now only when I fully twist my rudder I get left-right brake action that helps taxiing but doesn't mess up toff or landing. If the flaps you want to use accept axis as input you can do the same.

You can simplify this if instead use left and right brakes use only wheel brakes in virtual axis.

Because when you twist stick for one side and reach the virtual axis brake activation zone the rudder

is always deflect for the same side and  will activate the game differential brakes and brake only this side wheel. 

There's no difference in brake with left or right brake and differential brakes in BoS and this work for any plane.

Edited by Sokol1

VCRedist is used be IL-2 BoS, IL-2 CLoD... this last use a old version, perhaps a updated version of the software maybe can cause "collateral effects".  :biggrin:

I think that most people has interest in Joy' Gremlin for set curves, but are other soft that do this, Ujoy... VJoy... are a topic there about.

You can simplify this if instead use left and right brakes use only wheel brakes in virtual axis. Because when you twist stick for one side and reach the virtual axis brake activation zone the rudder is always deflect for the same side and will activate the game differential brakes and brake only this side wheel. There's no difference in brake with left or right brake and differential brakes in BoS and this work for any plane.

After testing the sim doesn't work like this for brakes set in axis but only for buttons, for axis you need to set "right/left" to have differential braking in LW planes.

Here "Wheel Brakes" (differential brakes) on axis work in Bf 109:

Difbrake.jpg

"Wheel brakes" are set in joy Y axis, see when I move rudder for right and pull stick back, the right wheel was braked, but not the left.

Edited by Sokol1

Anyone tried the version? I have a problem, I have the MS redist. and installed vjoy 2.1.8 but JC does not start at all.

Edited by KG200_Volker

Anyone tried the version? I have a problem, I have the MS redist. and installed vjoy 2.1.8 but JC does not start at all.

Hello,

I tried the new version here and it works.

Attention, vJoy new version take some time to install. Here it went like this :

uninstall previous version

restart the system

continue and finish installation. After reboot,the installation messages were the same as at the beginning (confused me).

Hope it helps.

Anyway Happy Christmas everybody :drinks:

Well I managed to get it work too, I do not know the exact problem but when I was adding my second and third vJoy device the program didn't run, I saw in the log this: "similar vjoy devices found". The solution was to make them slightly different by altering the number of buttons between them and it works fine now.

In case someone has a similar problem.

Nice thread, just started looking into this myself. I'm wanting to use one utility to run my mess of controllers.

Microsoft FFB for Pitch and Roll, X-45 for throttle  rotary's and button bays, X-52 for rotary's and buttons, then my CH Pedals.

Already noticed Gremlin doesn't see both Hats on the X-45 and X-52 at buttons, was hoping for it to see them as buttons since I don't use them as POV's