Trooper117

New WWII flight sim announced...

The makers of 'Wings Over Flanders Fields' have announced they have been working on a new WWII flight sim for the last year...

''Well I am sure many have guessed we are using our WOFFUE engine/systems to develop a WW2 Combat Flight sim.
Wings Over The Reich - or as we call it in-house WOTR.

This will follow the exact same lines as OFF/WOFF/WOFFUE in that it will be a phased release.

The intention is that it will eventually encompass the whole of WW2 and will be centered in Europe.
From the Battle of France, Battle of Britain to the massive day and night raids over Germany and German held territories.

The intention is that players will be able to play either side in fighter or bomber squadrons and will have and will build on many of the SP features of WOFFUE.
Aircraft models are all new high poly hi res textured aircraft with even more realistic DM than what is currently in WOFFUE

The world will be alive as will the theater change over time until very little of the main European cities is left.... again much like WOFFUE that has the frontlines moving and devastated tracts of land building up over time.

How long?

We have been burning our candles at both ends for the past year working on both WOTR and WOFFUE.
We will continue to focus more on WOTR in 2017 but still will be releasing add-on packs for WOFFUE.

We anticipate a release hopefully of WOTR P1 in the last quarter 2017 - but we cannot promise a definite release date as usual.''

• Upvote 1

I will have a MK IX Spit to fly in DCS

A MK Vb in BoK

And if the WoFF team do anything campaign wise as they have done with WoFF UE, then I will have quite a lot of flying fun in the future.

Quite exciting is the fact that their starting point will be the Battle of France.... Brilliant!

Will this still be based on MSCFS3?

The thing is , the developers of Flanders field claim, the game engine itself is one of the best there is. I personally had it , but did not fly it much so I cannot recall exact , other than it had the DO 17 and B 26 witch I absolutely love to fly

I think all the flight sim developers should put their heads together get a common platform and make all the objects from now on open source, with the aim of getting a ultimate sim. 

• Upvote 3

Will this still be based on MSCFS3?

There are very, very few CFS3 files in their latest WoFF UE.

In fact you no longer need the CFS3 disc to install the game, it is all one single download now.

Visually and graphically stunning, a far cry from the original CFS3 game.

• Upvote 1

I think all the flight sim developers should put their heads together get a common platform and make all the objects from now on open source, with the aim of getting a ultimate sim. 

Competition is a good thing.... 

• Upvote 1

There are very, very few CFS3 files in their latest WoFF UE.

In fact you no longer need the CFS3 disc to install the game, it is all one single download now.

Visually and graphically stunning, a far cry from the original CFS3 game.

Thanks.

I thought I saw a reference on one of the websites that advertise the WOFFUE software that you'd have to own MSCFS. I remember thinking "What the ...."

Edit:

Here it is: http://www.overflandersfields.com/requirements.html

Scroll down to notes. It says you need MSCFS to be able to install WoFF UE.

Edited by Bando

It's a mistake... you don't need the CFS3 disc. (They will need to update that)

You did need the disk with WoFF 3.

I bought and downloaded the new UE and ran it without having to use the CFS3 disc.

WoFF UE is for 64 bit systems, it has not been tested on 32 bit systems.

Also to remember we are talking about WoFF UE here... the devs' at OBD have not given any info yet on system requirements.

OK, fair enough.

I'll give it a go....

And if the WoFF team do anything campaign wise as they have done with WoFF UE, then I will have quite a lot of flying fun in the future.   Quite exciting is the fact that their starting point will be the Battle of France.... Brilliant!

Didn't know about this WoFF until a day ago. Must have somehow missed it. Read a few reviews, and it seems quite decent.

Pretty high asking price though, and no demo or other way to try it out, that's a pitty IMO.

I have been looking for a realistic grand scale WW1 sim for a very long time. Rise of Flight just doesn't cut it for me, breaks down when there are more then 8 aircraft around, and the AI is abysmal, not worth playing for a second. FiF is the best thing, nice people, but with roughly 20 people there are rarely encounters with more then 6 or 7 aircraft at a time..not what i am really looking for.

I just don't know if this single player is something for me. In all Flight Sims i have played so far, after an initial learning phase SP bored me to death, no matter if RoF, IL2 (any), DCS...because all of them fail hugely to present a believable grand scheme battle - with the exception of IL2 1946, which has pretty bad AI as well. I am not against SP per se (doing other games/sims like racing in SP as well, and having fun), but in BoS or RoF, you're having a one hour mission, and basically see nothing but an empty landscape, and one encounter with 4 aircraft. Might be different for other people, but for me all those Sims are not worth playing in SP.

Now i wonder how WoFF compares to those. I already read that the AI is really good - question is how good? I would not consider better then RoF or DCS "good" already. Are they good enough to immerse and to let you think they could be real pilots (not necessarily aces, but believable humans). Do the battles have a proper scale, comparable to real life operations? Like 40 or so aircraft entangled in one big fight? Do you see ground movement, and a real war ongoing down there (that's what i am missing the most in BoS, CloD, RoF etc). I am not talking about 4 tanks duelling it 2v2....realistic scale again.

It's okay when i fly 60 minute sorties for one aerial battle, as long as i really have the feeling i am in an ongoing war, and seeing interesting stuff at the ground..

Would be glad if you could answer those questions :) I am genuinely interested in this title (the new WW2 one as well, possibly), but i am not gonna spend 60 bucks for a game that get's shelved after an hour then...

The 190 FM is wrong, pls fix. :P

The Fw 190 will be an anti-gravity powered, VTOL, hyperspace-capable, ultrasonic hovercraft with electromagnetic deflector shields, mithrill armor, photon torpedo rustsätze and an "I WIN"-button for instant success.

Hence it will be absolutely correct and to everyone's satisfaction.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 3

Well, I picked it up and I must say I'm struggling with the controls setup. Graphics are not impressive.

The FM, DM and campaign must do it for me. That'll take some time.

Edit:  Btw, Trooper, you were absolutely right, there was no need for MSCFS. All good in that aspect.

Edited by Bando

The Fw 190 will be an anti-gravity powered, VTOL, hyperspace-capable, ultrasonic hovercraft with electromagnetic deflector shields, mithrill armor, photon torpedo rustsätze and an "I WIN"-button for instant success.

Hence it will be absolutely correct and to everyone's satisfaction.

Yeah. One day there will be a decent simulation of the 190. Here. In BoX. And you will get your Metallica ft. Justin Bieber ticket just in time. :P:lol:

The 190 FM is wrong, pls fix. :P

I hope they learn from mistakes in BoS Fw FM ;)

Other than that looks very interesting, never even heard about that WW1 sim before.

Bought WoFF a week ago, having flown 16 sorties in the dynamic campaign so far i think i can say that it is hands down by far the best SP flight sim.

When you are spoiled with the crappy SP of BoS, RoF, CloD, or any other flight sim really (apart from a couple of really well made modern DCS campaigns) you can't imagine as an MP guy - who normally only uses SP for tutorial purposes - how fun it can be. Only bought it because i can't play online currently, but see myself flying it even when i got my proper internet back. 

If WoFF is any indicator of this new WW2 sim, i am definitely gonna buy it.

unless it has an amazing campaign miles better than the career coming to Il-2

It has.

Wow, missed these news somehow. I have always wanted to get Wings over flanders, it is celebrated everywhere

as the best flight sim ever but the WWI setting is not as appealing to me as WWII so I will definitely buy this!

"New" Cliffs of Dover, Battle of Kuban, DCS Normandy and now this!?

2017 and beyond! :salute:

was that serious about it being based on MSCFS (as that is not a Sim, i have fsx and love the series but they are arcade kids games and not a sim.

Planes fly via config files

Yeah, about ten years ago the Flanders Fields title began as an overhaul mod for CFS3.  Some years later it went payware and a few years back apparently migrated to its own game engine.  I think as an SP title it is more concerned with activity and immersion, rather than the Esports mindset seen in multiplayer focused titles like this one.  In that respect the FM via config is a non issue.