Sign in to follow this  
MarcoPegase44

Position lights during take-offs and landings

Good evening,

Why do planes light their position lights during take-offs and landings?

This is not very realistic in times of war.

Is it possible to stop this?

thank you very much

Ugh... Planes use lights to make their position known. Of course this is a necessity at night. This is useful during the day as indentifying planes is still difficult. What happens if you come into land but didn't see the plane already on the runway?

As far as turning them off, ...ugh. They are manual, so there is no need to do that.

Probably not as unrealistic as you would imagine from a sim like this. Here you get people hanging around airfields waiting for people to land, but back then I suspect that it happened less (but still happened of course). Navigation lights during landing approaches serve(d) not only to warn aircraft on the field of someone coming in to land, but also helped identify aircraft heading and so their place in the 'pattern'. There is a reason that green light is on the right wing and red on the left  :)

WWII aircraft still used navigation lights and landing lights during operations. Hiding from the enemy is useful but not if trying to do so causes extremely unsafe operations.

I've never found any evidence that they totally blacked out night time landings and takeoffs.

There have been numerous accounts that I announced my final at a specific airfield only to have some one taxi out onto the runway and then we end up in a mess.  Navigation and landing lights help quite a bit for those coming to land and to see who is on approach.

I suppose the would have had a control tower and someone on the radio directing traffic around the aerodrome. 

Also, flights would be on schedules, flights in and out and there would be landing order for flights coming home. 

Perhaps when Marshaling is available, they can act as ATC :)

• Upvote 1

Good evening,

Why do planes light their position lights during take-offs and landings?

This is not very realistic in times of war.

Is it possible to stop this?

thank you very much

So friendly flak does not target them.

WWII aircraft still used navigation lights and landing lights during operations. Hiding from the enemy is useful but not if trying to do so causes extremely unsafe operations.

I've never found any evidence that they totally blacked out night time landings and takeoffs.

I think it is a matter of context - moon and weather conditions etc, plus the risk of having either your base or your landing aircraft detected.  UK night aircraft had a variety of lights specifically designed for ground recognition and formation flying without being visible to all and sundry - interesting thread here. 

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-367203.html

In MP almost everyone uses landing lights all the time - even in daylight - purely for game reasons since there is no controller establishing order and hardly anyone is fully trained. It is completely unrealistic, but if it improves the gaming experience why not? In SP, however, it looks odd.

Nav lights are on during taxiing, take-off and landing. Landing light on while on final and landing.

Simply due to lack of ATC in multiplayer. So lights are used to show people what Im doing and where I am.

Simpel courtesy.

Nav lights are on during taxiing, take-off and landing. Landing light on while on final and landing. Simply due to lack of ATC in multiplayer. So lights are used to show people what Im doing and where I am. Simpel courtesy.

Of course, it is done IRL too.

I think what the OP is talking about is offline.  I have see it in the game offline.