Han

Developer Diary, Part 137 - Discussion

Hello Everyone!

Let's start the today’s diary with a screenshot. This time you see the WIP model of a German Fallschirmjäger (paratrooper) in summer clothing for the new Ju-52 Collector plane which is now in the final development stage.

Last Friday we began alpha-testing of a new version which includes DirectX 11. First results are promising; FPS has increased significantly even in cases when not all optimizations were included. Of course, some issues have presented themselves, but we have no doubts that debug will go smooth and release will not be too long. At the moment, work on transferring to DirectX 11 has included:
Beside DirectX 11 news, I would like to talk with you about a part of flight-simulation realism which affects the most important part of the sim – the role of a virtual pilot.
I'm offering you to try to perform a training circling flight flying the MiG-3 fighter plane. A mission kit, with flight records of the circling pattern in calm winds and takeoffs and landings in strong winds are attached. Also here is a small video-lesson with my comments (I apologize for my English even before you have started to watch it  :) ) and a video-example of takeoffs and landings in heavy wind conditions. I invite you to try these training scenarios. The necessary technique of these training flights are explained below.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 7

Great Update! the Fallschirmjäger looks great and the work on Dx 11 seems to be progressing extremely fast. Amazing work!

Great News and thx for the additional training lessons.

:salute:

Flo

Paratrooper looks nice and nice to hear that dx11 start to improve the game

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Taking off in the MiG-3. Very useful; will try your settings later.

Great update. :salute:

DX11 just around the corner, great  :cool:

Nice work on fallschirmjäger, looks very detailed. And I think there is real need for those MiG lessons  :)

Good job!

Fantastic update. Many thanks.

Lessons much appreciated. I picked up a few tips just from reading.

Edited by kendo

Thanks for providing the flight lessons explaining the different ways to deal with wind effects, very exciting!

Good that no wind gusts were inserted to the sim .. yet, as such things are ideal to **** up one's landing and therefore misson :P

does that mean we may see less flickering of the trees?

One of the big issues in the game! Lets hope this is fixed with DX11.

I have lost countless contacts due to the trees moving as movement of the camouflaged plane/dot is all that you have available.

Wonder if the clouds rotating is also a potential fix?

Very good news about DX11. Really looking forward to seeing the results of your hard work.  :)

Good videos about the MiG's take off and landing procedure. it sure hasn't escaped you, that some of us in the community have had massive trouble with this bird since 2.004. Unfortunately I must say, that while your suggestion to use 50% mixture for take off seems to have made it slightly more manageable for me, I still find take off in the MiG excruciatingly difficult with even the slightest delay in response on the rudder resulting in a violent ground loop that can't be recovered after the first .5 seconds. Is that really how it's supposed to be?

• Upvote 1

Great update, can't wait to drop some troops from the sky!

Also looking forward to more fps in dx11, this sim is so pretty but having it even smoother will make it that much better.

Paratroopers...Ju-52....DX11. That's enought nice words in one update to get me exited!

But seriously, it's nice to see some kind of tutorial / authentic showcase by one of the devs brought to the players. Thx for that.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that my 1070 is going to be getting a bit more of a workout this coming year!

really great work out there Devs! the DirectX 11 support is just more than wonderful for those who have been waiting for it. and the German Para feature is just amazing! i wonder how it will work though, anyway many thanks to all of you! =)

Excellent news all around.  Can't wait for DX11.

Do the items below mean that the resolution landscape "bubble" will be extended or eliminated?

- Forest rendering was optimized thanks to using of constant buffers;
- Buildings rendering was optimized thanks to using of constant buffers;
  • Upvote 2

The paratrooper model looks pretty detailed!

Great news on the DX11 progress.

The tutorial looks interesting, i could learn a bunch from it. Ill take a closer look when i get home.

Do the items below mean that the resolution landscape "bubble" will be extended or eliminated?

My thoughts/hope exactly - eagerly awaiting a resolution to this issue at some point - maybe this will help.

I can not tell you enough how much I appreciate your updates,

This one is very special in my opinion as you detail how to pilot well the plane like a pro.

Makes a good challenge and exercise to follow step by step the different parts of flight.

The paratrooper is simply amazing!

Gosh How do you do that? all that detail! it looks like even better than the most recent fps game out there!

I thought you would not implement the paratrooper feature on this sim, I am very very impressed actually as NOTHING "force" you to do that kind of feature!

Thanks to that, the ju52 flight will be promising and even more exciting, (please make sure to make the gunner as a mod  ;) like the IL2 plane)

I am sure many players will enjoy that in solo or multiplayer

Thank you so much for all your work, dedication, love you put on this sim!

Great news all around!

I'm offering you to try to perform a training circling flight flying the MiG-3 fighter plane. A mission kit, with flight records of the circling pattern in calm winds and takeoffs and landings in strong winds are attached.

Yay, awsome! We have been trying to find the right techniques now for some time in a MiG thread on the forums, so this will surely help:) Will do some practice during the week end!

S!

Very good update, liked your text about immersion. That's the single most thing I'm looking for in flightsims.

And that's why I hope you guys are going to expand on that - give me proper planning tools, briefings and debriefings that you can fill out yourself, fuel management in Bombers, static objects for the airports, squad members with names and bios, even storytelling :)

Hope we will see more of the immersion stuff in future  :cool:  :salute:

really really nice news!

this! this is awesome! an incredible modeling, I have wanted to see them jump out of my Ju 52

post-3809-0-78185600-1477583837_thumb.jpg

Thx for News Lothar29

• Upvote 1

Great update.

DX11 promises to be awesome and the paratroopers as well.

Thanks for the Mig lessons. I wonder what your trim settings were. (have yet to see the films)

it's also the question I ask himself .

on Bom map ( autumn ) the bubble is less visible , the problem is more visible on winter maps .

Great to hear that things are progressing smoothly.  I really appreciate the direction the sim is taking and the training video is very timely in response to the community.  Perhaps its time to consider a live stream event to cover all of the new content and features coming in the next year?  :salute:

Great update, I think you guys absolutley nailed it with the German Paratrooper, looks fantastic, especially the face.

Looking forward to Direct X11 and all the improvements it will bring. A worthy addition to all your hard work.

Thank you for the tutorial also, it's good to see developers passing this type of input on to their community.

:salute: 

Thank you for all your hard work all these improvements just make me happy an happier everyday that I play, I feel inside on a plane every time that I fly.

Thank you for the instructions of Mig 3, as everything in live if you want to improve your self you have to expend time learning with this guide time to improve will be shorter.