Sign in to follow this  
Requiem

Labeled Bf 109 F-4 Cockpit

Labeled cockpit for the Bf 109 F-4.

I am not a native german speaker nor an expert on the 109, so if there are any issues please let me know and I can amend the images so they will be updated in this first post without needing to edit the post itself.

Items in pink on the the right hand side (radiator flap control) and portions of electrical panel which I couldn't read properly could probably use some better translation.

109%20F4%20Front%20panel%20copy.jpg

109%20F4%20Left%20side%20copy.jpg

109%20F4%20Right%20side%20copy.jpg

• Upvote 16

The lever you marked with prop-pitch is actually the fuel cock lever.

The prop-pitch is controlled by the rocker-switch on the throttle know itself.

The two way switch below the throttle is the switch for automatic propeller pitch control (on/off), in front of the throttle is the mechanical undercarriage position indicator (might be of interest).

• Upvote 1

About the text  for the radiator flap control lever:

Zu = Closed

Auf = Open

Ruhe = Rest

• Upvote 1

Couple of things: 

-The coolant temperature gauge is actually a combination gauge that reads coolant exit and oil intake temperature.

-The bomb release handle is technically the emergency bomb release handle (i.e., emergency jettison).

-"Oxygen shower" should be "oxygen cylinder."

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys, +1 for you :)

I've updated them accordingly, so I hope I've understood you correctly in the changes.

About the text  for the radiator flap control lever:

Zu = Closed

Auf = Open

Ruhe = Rest

If anybody want to know how it works:

Engine cooling system description 
Heat generated by this engine is dissipated into the  lipstream from two radiators, one located beneath eachwing root towards the trailing edge.
The cooling air flow is controlled by two hydraulic actuators which determine the position of the intake lip and upper and lower radiator flaps associated with each radiator.
These flaps are controlled by the rotary selector valve, set by the pilot to one of four detented positions. Both radiator flaps move in association with the wing flaps.
The valve settings are 'auf' (flaps fully open),'zu' (flaps fully closed), 'ruhe' (flaps hydraulically lockedat their current position) and 'autom'. When the flaps are at the closed position, and the wing flaps are retracted, the cooling flaps remain slightly apart, and maintain a minimum cooling flowthrough the radiators. The 'autom' setting provides for automatic modulation of the flaps position under the influence of a thermostat. This is installed in the coolant outlet pipework from the engine and normally regulates the engine coolant temperature to around 80°/85°C. At approximately 110°C, at low altitudes,the coolant may be expected to boil. The cooling system operates at elevated pressure maintained by a pressure relief valve whichoperates at approximately 1 bar.
Any outflow of coolant from this valve is piped so as to discharge immediately ahead of the exhaust stubs on the right side of the engine, where itimmediately vaporises, thereby indicating to the pilot in a direct manner that the engine has become too hot.
Under these conditions it is reported that vapour may enter the cockpit although thepilot was not aware of this. The design and orientation of this relief valve are such that positive g assists the valve to open.
Engine temperature is indicated to the pilot on a dual function gauge. This gauge normally indicates coolant temperature,unless the adjacent spring loaded button is pushed, where upon oil temperature is displayed. 

These 2 layouts of a Bf 109 F-2 might help as a reference for the F-4 type:

Bf_109_F.jpg

Bf_109_F.jpg

Thanks to Requiem for starting this, and others for their contributions.

(Pretty darned good community, here.)

:salute:

Good job again!

I'm gonna add these pictures to the 109 flight manual, if Requiem doesn't have anything against it?

Thanks!

Small detail, but the "Oxygen Cylinder" is actually the "Oxygen Regulator" (Or "Economizer" in Queens English  :) .  The cylinder is somewhere in back of plane.  And missing flow in "Oxygen *flow* monitor."

Edited by Flyingpencil

Great stuff guys! Updated again. 

:salute:

P.S. No objections Zwoop, have at it.

Edited by SYN_Requiem

There is still something wrong about the throttle Requiem !

As Matt said in post 5 , the rocker switch on the throttle is to set manually the prop pitch.

The 2 way switch manual/auto is under the throttle friction nut

Has anyone noticed that when pushing the stabilizer trim forward, the value on the indicator goes from -8 to 3? 

Couple of things: 

-The coolant temperature gauge is actually a combination gauge that reads coolant exit and oil intake temperature.

Yes and by default it shows coolant temp. To read the oil intake temp one had to press the little know on the right upper corner of the dial.

Great thread... exactly what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the info guys, we need more like this when the other aircraft come into the game :)

Does anyone know what those knobs are?

According to Uufflakke's reference pictures the big red knob next to the "fuel cock lever" is probably "engine instant stop lever" but there seems to be nothing on the two smaller green knobs: the one in front of fuel primer system and the one above radiator flaps switch.

Thanks for posting that.  I lost all my old pdfs from the IL2 Sturmick days.

Labeled cockpit for the Bf 109 F-4.

I am not a native german speaker nor an expert on the 109, so if there are any issues please let me know and I can amend the images so they will be updated in this first post without needing to edit the post itself.

Items in pink on the the right hand side (radiator flap control) and portions of electrical panel which I couldn't read properly could probably use some better translation.

109%20F4%20Front%20panel%20copy.jpg

109%20F4%20Left%20side%20copy.jpg