Sign in to follow this  
J3-Hetzer

Manual parachute opening, devs please...

To give us a chance of surviving 'chute killers can we please have manual deployment? :thank_you:

• Upvote 4

+1, like this idea, adds an interesting variable and it can have it's own pitfalls too just as in real life, no stabilised freefall and the potential to get wrapped in the chute.

Adds an interesting variable and it can have it's own pitfalls too just as in real life, no stabilised freefall and the potential to get wrapped in the chute.

To give us a chance of surviving 'chute killers can we please have manual deployment? :thank_you:

I'll just wait for you to deploy your chute then shoot you thats all you will acomplish. Worse comes to worse I'll shoot you when you land too. (or watch you go splat trying to delay deployment as long as possible)

Face ya gotta die sometime in any game don't think you can avoid it {G}

:biggrin:

isnt there any con at deploying your chute at terminal velocity?

i  think if paratroopers opened right after jump there must have been a reason

oh i want to be inmoral in the game have infinte lifes not enough, i dont want ever to die

Edited by raaaid

I've never used my chute and never want to.  But I gotta think that in the terrifying moment of jumping out of a broken or burning plane, the last thing I would think of is using my body's teminal velocity to distance myself from the fight.  The only thing I'd be thinking is, "well, I've lived another second!  I'm not going to tempt fate (or my rigger's skills) one moment more!" --and pull the ring right away.  But I still like the idea just for the novelty.

isnt there any con at deploying your chute at terminal velocity?

Yes, the harness technology was not as developed and will come apart if the chute is not deployed within some narrow velocity parameters.

"A person has a terminal velocity of about 200 mph when balled up and about 125 mph with arms and feet fully extended to catch the wind."

Bloomfield, Louis A. University of Virginia. 23 December 1999.

So don't open the chute if you bailed out of your a/c and it was doing more than 200mph.

Yes, the harness technology was not as developed and will come apart if the chute is not deployed within some narrow velocity parameters.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d72_1331527139

I guess this Fw190 pilot was lucky his chute didn't malfunction.

So it was impossible to bail from an aircraft going over 120 mph?

Actually no...

Check this vid out. Tho not a parachute opening, both crew survived mach 3 slipstream in their pressure suits as the aircraft broke up. Sadly the backseater drowned upon landing No note on when their parachutes depolyed after descending to a safer alt.

It's amazing what the human body can withstand !

Actually no...

It's ok, it wasn't a serious question, I know it can be done, many WWII pilots were forced to bail out of aircraft travelling much faster than freefall terminal velocity therefore they could only have decelerated as far as freefal terminal velocity before opening the chute.

Edited by Rama
removed personal stuff

What I hope for is realistic bailouts where you don't just hit "bail" you actually have to position the aircraft to make sure you don't strike the tail... that would be great.

Edited by Krupi

Actually no...

Check this vid out. Tho not a parachute opening, both crew survived mach 3 slipstream in their pressure suits as the aircraft broke up. Sadly the backseater drowned upon landing No note on when their parachutes depolyed after descending to a safer alt.

Our technology is much better than it was then for parachute harnesses.

It can even happen with today's technology.  Not only the materials, but the stitching makes a huge difference. 

Nylon webbing attached to the parachute equipment broke, likely causing a chest strap to break Morgan's neck, said Fred Morelli Jr., attorney for Skydive Chicago.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-07-14/news/0407140298_1_united-states-parachute-association-morelli-skydive-Chicago

It can even happen with today's technology.  Not only the materials, but the stitching makes a huge difference. 

Out of how many 100s of 1000s of jumps?

Yes. I'd like to bail then release the chute. 

No note on when their parachutes depolyed after descending to a safer alt.

Most parachute designs have a maximum altitude of ~20,000 feet.  Open them above their maximum design altitude and you will most likely get blown gores resulting in a very expensive ribbon instead of canopy.

I really don't like the idea of letting players open the parachute manually. In reality they were often opened pretty fast and in the game it would just lead into half of the players doing HALO jumps to avoid chute-killing. It wouldn't really add anything to the game either.

I wouldn't mine more realistic bail-out conditions and first person camera though.

• Upvote 1