-IRRE-Biluf

Do you think chutekilling is acceptable ?

456 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think chutekilling is acceptable ?

The point of this poll is not about removing the possibility in the game to kill a pilot under is chute.

For me it is the same as killing someone who gives up. Many MP guys call this game an E-sport. So there should be some sportsman attitude. Kicking the balls of the guy who allready lies on the floor is not,I guess. Would I be outraged by such behavior? Most probably not,but I would think of such guy in terms of "He's got issues".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

No.

To me, chute killing marks the difference between playing together, and playing against each other.

And I want to play with you, not against you, even if you happen to be on the virtual "other"side".

Winning and scoring is NOT the main goal, I wouldnt even see a reason to kill someone hanging on his chute if that gave somehow an advantage to me or my side.

And to those talking about this beeing war, and trying to simulate war:

Go ahead, perhaps even take real guns, for a better simulation experience, and shoot each other?

I dont want to be in a situation resembling real war too much, and I actually dont want to be in the same server as people doing so, it kills the fun if winning and killing is the only thing you can think about.

Thats why e.g. TAW is dead and done for me now.

Perhaps better for everybody, we are playing different games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I fly bombers, so I'd never really be in a position to fire against a parachute myself.

But, on the receiving end, I don't mind if someone fires at me if I bail out. I don't see any difference between that and someone strafing my bomber after it made an emergency crash landing. It happens all the time. It's just part of the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think it is not really sporting behaviour.. but also nothing to rage about.

But I mean,compared to the shooter world, where you are simply not cool if your not an assclown, sim people are all enthusiasts and there are relativily few of them..

and you easily end up half a year later flying with the guys you fought before.. if you want to have a good, fun game. Beeing a bit more friendly and sporting is actually wise because it will be making your future games nicer. What I saw lately on TAW was a lot of tryharding... mostly by newer, less experienced players of which most where on the german side. That is not always so, the russian side used to be the derp side on WoL for quite some time, and sides are totally not the point. If you bought the whole game, you may end up on both anyways, if you´re not a stuck up guy.

The point however is, having fun and taking it easy.. when I read chat comments raging about "fighting girlish" because a landing 109 came under fire at TAW with 5 vs 25 numbers for the germans and the chat goes "do you really have no balls, shooting a landing plane!11!" I have to laugh. Guys, mostly in a flightsim it is our very own fault when we die.. but acknowleding good flying by the enemy or letting someone crash in peace, when is plane will be gone anyways is just making it more fun for all. After all, what does winning an online game amounts to? Is that really what you want to be stuck up and serious "having won that one round of online war" in 2016?

Flightsims suffer from a bit delusional people, who on one hand want hyper realism, but maybe without even knowing much about the real side of aircraft and on the other hand don´t really understand much behind the real side of a game like flightsims, where there are other nice people who actually dig up often enough interesting historic things or have other experiences to learn from. That is a realistic fun side of flightsims, too. So you win, if you take it more as a game and stop beeing all "I´m the biggest hartmann on the block and I truel, deeply would have been a real ace in WW2 if they just did let me chose my right messerschmidt/yak/F-15!11!", think about it.

that beeing said, I want a more realistic game mechanic implemented: pulling the ripcord yourself.. maybe even with the same key like jumping out, just a 2nd toggle.. so you can pull out the chute low to the ground, like historically pilots did for fear of beeing shot at from the ground or other aircraft, or better: failing and dying because you pulled the ripcord too early and you entangle in the plane!11! ;=)

and here is my parachute survival training: getting tough and towed away by wingmen, ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7yrHBbqsJU

also: bann Hartmann-despawns... absolutly unsporting unrealistic behaviour, to just escape a falling bomb by going to the map screen, despite historical evidence that Hartmann actually did that!

Edited by Dr_Zeebra
  • Upvote 2

You nailed it Doc :D

+1 for ripcord pull

It serves absolutely no purpose in the game, other than ruining people stats and possibly piss them off.

To me it's more like a "Eh look I got your plane... oops, oh see you are also dead now" behaviour. Childish if you want to stay polite. 

Chute killers are being a*****les , I do not care that much if they do it to me, but that is what I would think if they did it. If I am in a server I am doing it for fun, nothing serious. So getting shot in my chute , I will always remember that person as I mentioned earlier

• Upvote 1

+1, simple and makes both sides happy.

How often did certain aces bail? Aircraft aces with destinctive markings.

The air was a place where people where off from their officers and had respect.

Edited by N3croo
  • Upvote 2

+1, simple and makes both sides happy.

How often did certain aces bail? Aircraft aces with destinctive markings.

The air was a place where people where off from their officers and had respect.

This isn't the air, though. None of us are facing death to play these games.

To say that honour and morality have as important a place in this game as in real life is, to be honest, disrespectful.

Besides, there are many cases of people being shot at in their chutes in real life. Chuck Yeager was nearly killed by a German pilot aiming at his chute, for example.

As for chute killing in the game... I don't really care. If I'm in a chute, then chances are I'm already setting up my respawn options, so I don't really care about what happens to a bunch of pixels I used to control. And I find it much more challenging and satisfying to shoot down another player's aircraft, so I'll just be ignoring any parachutes.

• Upvote 2

i think in the game is perfectly acceptable but in real life is not acceptable even ride a war machine, you can always run away

kids like to pretend shoot each other but imagine his face if his little body fell at the imaginary shot

btw if somebody shoots at you in your chute no doubt he wants you peaced off so you should just congratulate him for the nice precise shot :)

I'm a bit conflicted about this one.  If they are paratroopers, then sure - I'd shoot them in their chutes at every opportunity - they're still combatants on their way to fight.  On the other hand, if they are aircrew, I probably would not shoot them if they were bailing out over my territory (I figure they're most likely on their way to becoming POWs, though of course there's a risk of escape/evasion), but if they were bailing out over their own territory I'd have to think pretty hard about it.  After all, they really haven't "given up" at that point - they've just left their current war machine and are likely heading back to pick up another one and rejoin the fight.  You don't stop shooting tank crews just because they are bailing out of their tanks, so should it really be different for aircrew?  From my comfortable chair at my desk flying a game during peacetime, I would feel bad about shooting them, but if it were my country being attacked and I was putting my real life on the line to try to kill them in their planes, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give them a pass and let them have another chance to go get another plane and come back to kill me or my countrymen.  

Of course, just from a matter of efficiency/cost effectiveness, if there were other enemy targets flying around nearby I would generally go after them (where I have a chance to destroy both a plane and a pilot at the same time) instead of spending time going after somebody already in a chute, but otherwise over enemy territory I'd probably be very tempted to take down the chutist.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 3

Never.....

Its a game, theres no need for it,

Its just a cheap trick to score easy points or extent you AK streak....

And as Gruber says, it servers absolutely no purpose other than to piss people off to the point where they may leave the server.

• Upvote 3

what dos it matter?

i can see no reason to have any concern, one way or the other. if i get shot in my chute, oh well, i 'died'. the other guy 'got' me. just another facet of the game that gives it variety. it's really hardly ever done, though.

personally, i dont ever do it, not because i have any ideas about 'sportsmanship' or 'consideration'. but because it seems of no use to me, and it uses ammo that i may need to fight other targets. i dont care about points, though - may be a different story if i did. that said, if i get some kind of wild hair for a moment, i wouldnt have any problem shooting someone in the chute ("chute-shooting"?). just seems a waste of time/ammo for me right now.

if i was in the chute and worried for my (virtual) life, i certainly wouldnt ride it to the ground - i'd end the flight/mission ASAP to avoid the possibility of getting shot. but i dont really give a hoot if someone shoots me - good for them. actually gives me a laugh (a lot of stuff in this game does), as it adds just a little more 'gaminess' to the game.

AND, i have come to realize that there are SO many reasons players do different things in this game, that getting concerned about little things just isnt worth the time/effort. 

i voted "yes" (i think it is acceptable). 

EDIT: i just remembered this. there is actually a reason for chutekilling, besides points.....a pilot in a chute is still able to relay information (via TS or chat) to his teammates. that means he is still a tactical consideration and can make a difference while in the chute. though im not sure if killing him causes a loss of this capability.

btw, i like dr zeeb's suggestion about the ripchord, too. ...i cant tell you how many times ive frowned at my pilot who 'skydives' into the ground when bailing at low altitudes. and i think it migh be fun to 'skydive' from high alt's!

Edited by Gump
  • Upvote 1

EDIT: i just remembered this. there is actually a reason for chutekilling, besides points.

You never get any points for chutekilling, this argument is just bogus

You never get any points for chutekilling, this argument is just bogus

ok. thx for that info - now I know. but my point was the OTHER consideration that I mentioned. I mentioned "points" here just to cover my *** in case points WERE a valid reason.

SO, if points is a bogus/invalid reason, how about to prevent 'observational feedback' to the team? as of now, I have not confirmed that killing pilot-in-chute prevents this. however, destroying the chute so that the pilot has less time to observe would still be a consideration IF he loses "spectate" ability when he hits the gnd.

I

besides valid reasons, though, I still don't care. IF the reason is valid, I might actually start thinking about killing the chutes. but i'd prolly look for the chutes that are persistent as an indicator of an observer. most guys just eject, chute for a short time before respawning.

Edited by Gump

It's a simple waist of ammo, and serves no purpose. Wouldn't do it in real life and certainly wont in a Flight Simulation.

Chief

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, shooting down chutes in a flight simulator is just a waste of ammo and something that's meant to humiliate your opponent. I'm not a fan of this whole "teabagging" culture some people have. It's just a display of bad sportsmanship.

In real life, in a real war... I think the moral dilemma is somewhat different.

I see flight sims as a sport, which has stakes that are nowhere near those of a real war.

Edited by Chuck_Owl
  • Upvote 6

Completely agree Chuck. It is childish and shows an overall lack of character no matter how some try to spin or justify it.

+1

• Upvote 2

Are you hacking? Are you playing fairly (e.g. without mods to modify textures and remove things like oil splatter)? 

If you are playing fairly then I don't care. It's a game. It's in the game. It happened IRL. No one should get tilted if you were destroyed fairly. 

I won't do it because I don't want to waste the ammo and fuel. 

Well said, Chuck, and Murf as well

It serves no purpose whatsoever, mainly says a lot about some people's character

• Upvote 1

Imagine you're a pilot and there is a 50 kill Ace you've managed to make bail out over his/her lines. As far as you can tell while he/she's floating he seems to be, at a cursory glance, in good health considering the circumstances. It is thus reasonable to assume that he/she will land, get another plane, and kill more of your fellow pilots.

With these circumstances would you, as the pilot with the opportunity, would you take the opportunity and kill him/her in their chute?

If not, how do you justify not eliminating a threat to your fellow pilots lives?

Imagine you're a pilot and there is a 50 kill Ace you've managed to make bail out over his/her lines. As far as you can tell while he/she's floating he seems to be, at a cursory glance, in good health considering the circumstances. It is thus reasonable to assume that he/she will land, get another plane, and kill more of your fellow pilots.

With these circumstances would you, as the pilot with the opportunity, would you take the opportunity and kill him/her in their chute?

If not, how do you justify not eliminating a threat to your fellow pilots lives?

Well in some servers, shooting my bomber down after I have delivered my bomb load you are doing me a favor, I do not have to take the long way back. Killing me would not change this fact. Same goes for your 50 kill ace, he will be back just as fast. The only thing you manage to show him is your bizarre form of gameplay. I know people for the sake of making a discussion argue for chute kills, there are simply no reason for doing it, other than being a prick. 

There are however servers out there making it difficult when you loose your life, but it do not give advantage for the chute killer, it only bring along a less fun gameplay

• Upvote 3

Well in some servers, shooting my bomber down after I have delivered my bomb load you are doing me a favor, I do not have to take the long way back. Killing me would not change this fact. Same goes for your 50 kill ace, he will be back just as fast. The only thing you manage to show him is your bizarre form of gameplay. I know people for the sake of making a discussion argue for chute kills, there are simply no reason for doing it, other than being a prick. 

There are however servers out there making it difficult when you loose your life, but it do not give advantage for the chute killer, it only bring along a less fun gameplay

There's no reason to play the game beyond to have fun, and it may be fun for someone to shoot a pilot in their chute. It thus stands to argue why it's even relevant whether someone gets upset about whether or not they were killed in their chute. 

If all it took was for someone to get so upset to leave the game and the community was for them to be killed in their chute then I would rather not play with someone who is prone to having such a violent tantrum. Shooting someone in their chute confers no actual benefit in the game, but it also can be said that there is no negative consequence to someone being shot in their chute. 

In real life, there is ethically ambiguous situations where considering shooting someone in their chute is acceptable (see my previous post). In this game, devoid of real consequence, it behooves a person to simply put away their triggered response and move on. It is not a statement of character as some like to say it is or part of a tea bagging culture. Those are base judgement's, devoid of any nuance and absent any real, tangible credibility. 

There actually is a real consequence of getting chute killed: you are out of that flight/mission instantly. Bailed out, I really enjoy hanging there and use the time to think about what had been my mistake, also just to admire the visuals, see new parts of the game while landing somewhere. Who is the chute killer to deprive me of that part of gameplaying and kick me out, for nothing, when he has won already? What other reason than being a dick, as has been said before, can that have?

There actually is a real consequence of getting chute killed: you are out of that flight/mission instantly. Bailed out, I really enjoy hanging there and use the time to think about what had been my mistake, also just to admire the visuals, see new parts of the game while landing somewhere. Who is the chute killer to deprive me of that part of gameplaying and kick me out, for nothing, when he has won already? What other reason than being a dick, as has been said before, can that have?

IF this is how a death in the chute responds - you are out instantly - then this proves my point that chute killing actually is beneficial and maybe should be considered more than it is..... a person hanging in a chute can observe and help his teammates on comms/chat. this is bad for the opposing team. thus, chute killing DOES have a tactical benefit.

• Upvote 2

IF this is how a death in the chute responds - you are out instantly - then this proves my point that chute killing actually is beneficial and maybe should be considered more than it is..... a person hanging in a chute can observe and help his teammates on comms/chat. this is bad for the opposing team. thus, chute killing DOES have a tactical benefit.

Of course, has been discussed at lengths before, also that one shouldnt do that (give informations) while hanging on the chute.

It also proves we have a different approach to this game. Winning and getting tactical advantages is not everything.

The only problem actually is that our community is so small.

Otherwise we could just peacefully divide into one group playing servers where chute killing is o.k., and viceversa, and everybody would be happy playing the game as he thinks it should be played ....

Yes.

And this good for the guy, he can re-fly more fast.  ;)   :lol:

various ppl have various ideas about what they are doing. this only gets more diverse as game/server population increases.

to me, I cant see any reason to care, aside from comms, about chute killing. so 'i' don't understand why anyone would even care.

someone else may have strong feelings about it for some reason, and don't understand why me/others just don't care.

seems to be just another one of those things that folks will just need to learn to cope with, one way or the other. like the way we learn to cope with each others' bad hair days.

Weird_Pics358.jpg

Edited by Gump
  • Upvote 1

There's no reason to play the game beyond to have fun, and it may be fun for someone to shoot a pilot in their chute. It thus stands to argue why it's even relevant whether someone gets upset about whether or not they were killed in their chute. 

If all it took was for someone to get so upset to leave the game and the community was for them to be killed in their chute then I would rather not play with someone who is prone to having such a violent tantrum. Shooting someone in their chute confers no actual benefit in the game, but it also can be said that there is no negative consequence to someone being shot in their chute. 

In real life, there is ethically ambiguous situations where considering shooting someone in their chute is acceptable (see my previous post). In this game, devoid of real consequence, it behooves a person to simply put away their triggered response and move on. It is not a statement of character as some like to say it is or part of a tea bagging culture. Those are base judgement's, devoid of any nuance and absent any real, tangible credibility. 

Completely agree Chuck. It is childish and shows an overall lack of character no matter how some try to spin or justify it.

+1

It is douchbaggery at it's finest and serves no purpose other than to rub someone's nose in their loss. In chess you don't get to walk around the table after taking the queen and punch a guy in the nads. Both are games. Both should have community standards of conduct.

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf
  • Upvote 2

Reminds me of the time that I shot down HerrMurf, but didn't shoot at the parachute, and he turned up at LuseKofte's house a week later in a TIE Fighter and killed him.

Wait, that didn't happen.

Why would it matter if a bunch of pixels land safely on the ground in a computer game? This isn't real life, and saying that it has the same stakes as real life is insulting to anyone who's had to go through a real war.

As I said, there's no reason to shoot at parachutes in this game, ans frankly I'd have more fun playing against people who are actually playing, not setting up their spawn options or just admiring the game's graphics.

And this thread shows that people don't really appreciate having parachutes shot at, so in addition to what I already said, doing it just seems like a pointless way to annoy people.

Edited by Cybermat47

It is douchbaggery at it's finest and serves no purpose other than to rub someone's nose in their loss. In chess you don't get to walk around the table after taking the queen and punch a guy in the nads. Both are games. Both should have community standards of conduct.

That's absolutely not at all what it's like. it's like someone took the queen, then had the audacity to come by and take your bishops as well. It is clearly in the game, is doable, and harms no one.

Being upset, challenging someones character, or leaving the game entirely when they chute kill you is like getting upset when your opponent in Mortal Kombat uses a fatality. 

You can rationalize until you are blue but looking at the poll results clearly shows you hold a minority opinion. Poor sportsmanship is poor sportsmanship and most recognize it for what it is.

• Upvote 1

poll's don't validate anything but a majority opinion. the majority opinion is not necessarily an expression of the 'truth'.

it appears that, even if ppl think it's ok (like me), it is rarely ever done. personally, I may have seen it done once or twice the whole time ive played this game. so I am wondering why the concern over it? there is certainly no epidemic or trend that i've even heard of like this. I suspect that maybe a few newbies might try it a little (prolly the only thing they can hit) or some nad-kicking, but so what?

• Upvote 1