If you are from the Il-2 Crowd... V.1.1

exhausted

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:17

logo.png

Give Rise of Flight a try and join us online! No need to not supplement Cliffs of Dover with Rise of Flight anymore!

Download the software and start playing with the SPAD 13 and Albatros D.Va for free!

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

cockpit.pngtop.png

cockpit.pngtop.png

Get the manual!

http://www.riseoffli..._1026b_Rev1.zip

Then, buy a few birds to help support the development of Battle of Stalingrad!

http://riseofflight.com/en/store

Consult this thread to help you find the essentials -  purchases of two or more give you discounts between 20-45%!

http://riseofflight....lit=plane guide

I hope to see you online!

Bear, any way I can get this stickied?

Fjordmonkey

• Members

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:39

Regardless, I actually did what exhausted said in his somewhat badly phrased first post in this thread, and installed the free version of RoF today. I'd have to say that while it might not rival CLoD in terms of realism, it's definitely an enjoyable experience. Tried out both the Spad 13.C1 and the Albatross D.va, but found the Spad to be the more enjoyable aircraft to fly. Of course, managed to get shot down by AA once in the Spad, and ripped the wings off the Alby when pulling out of a dive too sharply, but hey, still fun.

Didn't try it online, but might try that tomorrow IF I can get my damn flightstick to function properly again. Having some seriously bad jitter-issues with it and axis-bleed (pulling back on the stick immediately kicks in both some yaw and roll-commands, which makes hitting things rather hard since the nose of the aircraft is all over the place.

#112 exhausted

Posted 16 December 2012 - 19:34

Tried it and liked it? What more could I ask for....

Fokker DVIII - this will help you compete with Camels online...

right.png

http://riseofflight....es/Fokker_DVIII

Sopwith Camel - this, of coarse, is the gold standard. If you fly well with the SPAD you may not benefit from this, but if you want to turn and burn, this is your bird.

right.png

http://riseofflight....s/Sopwith_Camel

Have fun fordmonkey!

#113 Fjordmonkey

• Members

Posted 16 December 2012 - 19:40

Been flying the Spad mostly, since it's handling is more in line with what I prefer. I did find fighting other aircraft to be a serious challenge, though, mostly due to the issues with visibility (or lack of it, more precisely).

All in all it's not a bad sim. Ground-textures are a bit bland and it might not be quite up to par with what I've seen in CLoD, but still: Quite enjoyable, and highly challenging in it's own way. You very quickly find out that applying a little rudder in a turn will make you snap-turn like you had a horde of Fokker's on your tail :)

•  
#114 icon_share.png exhausted

Posted Yesterday, 01:36

What's you're online name? Maybe we can give a flight a chance:)

Mine's FVK.

Edited by exhausted, Yesterday, 01:37.

#115 icon_share.png kendo

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 02:16

!

Edited by kendo, Yesterday, 17:22.

•  
#116 MarcoRossolini

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 13:48

My first Combat Flight Sim was Rowan's Battle of Britain. This was closely followed by European Air War and eventually Il-2 and finally RoF and Cliffs of Dover. All have been excellent games and most if not all have earned their monies worth in my book. Why the fuss? Why the World War 2 vs World War 1 outlook? I'm just as interested in the Eastern Front as I am now in the World War 1 Western Front. There's nothing wrong with having a preference over the other either, that's what opinions are all about, but there is no need to denigrate the either side.

•  
#117 Hooves

• Members

I think I'm doing it wrong...........

•  
#118 FlatSpinMan

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 14:49

Nope, Hooves. You're doing fine. That's how it always looks for me. 

•  
#119 Fjordmonkey

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 14:51

Hehe. That you managed to bring the bird down in a manner that didn't kill you marks you as a better pilot than I am :D

@Exhausted: Name is the same as here, although I've yet to try out MP. Fiddling about trying to learn not to die quite so often just because there happens to be an enemy aircraft nearby..

•  
#120 Fishbreath

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 15:30

@Hooves: at least the Camel doesn't flip. Give the Dolphin a try, but make sure you have a snap view bound to 'duck', so when it invariably turns over on its back on landing, you don't end up with a dead pilot.

•  
Edited by exhausted

Give Rise of Flight a try and join us online! No need to compare the games anymore, have a look at *other* granduncle of BoS!

Fixed it a bit further ;).

Even if WWI is not your thing, you can play it for free, experience all good and bad things you've read from others about the game, it's engine and sales model. At least you'll have your own verified opinion on features that may make it into BoS, at best you'll understand why some of us like it :)

I came to RoF already from CloD (yes, it makes me a noob) and I didn't think WW1 is my thing; I was checking out for a brother who asked me if it's any good. I didn't like many things but decided to use these flimsy slow planes to train flying on the egde of stalling for a while; I never caught the moment when I got hooked.

Edited by Trupobaw

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the road but as soon as I get back home I will hop on a few things that I saw that interested me. One thing I would like to see is a shopping cart that covers the whole store. The way it is now you have to buy what you want from one section at a time... so say I want to buy some pits for some planes... then you want to buy a map.. You have to pay for the pits at the pits section before you go to the maps section. It would be great if you could toss it all in one cart and then check out and that would probably be better for business as well.

i have ROF installed and do like to fly it now and again. but at the end of the day nothing about ww1 airwarfare has grabed me by the balls and said hell yeah.