Photo

oculus rift cv1,is there anyone using it now?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 salimliu

salimliu

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:45

I could barely see anybody talking about it in this forum ,It's obviously a future for this game.

but since the oculus rift cv1 released i saw not much posts discussing it ,any reason ,was it becoz nobody grab it online in the first place?

Attached Thumbnails

• oculus rift.jpg

#2 Elem

Elem
  • Founder

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:15

I could barely see anybody talking about it in this forum ,It's obviously a future for this game.

but since the oculus rift cv1 released i saw not much posts discussing it ,any reason ,was it becoz nobody grab it online in the first place?

I think we would all like to hear your personal review of the item. Most people are holding off until the bugs are ironed out and the price comes down. I for one would like to try before buying, so does anyone know where I can do that in the UK?

Corsair Graphite 780t Case, ASUS Intel ROG STRIXZ270F GAMING MoBo, Intel i7-7700K 4.20 Ghz 8Mb CPU, Corsair Hydro Series H110i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler, Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 8Gb GPU, Corsair HX850 PSU, Iiyama ProLite X4071UHSU-B1 Monitor

#3 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:05

This game does not support VR yet, which is probably why you aren't seeing much noise about it here.

Another factor is that deliveries of the Rift and the Vive started a bit slow. If you order now, you might get them this summer. I think I'll hold off until the fall, when hopefuly production and shipping ramp up after HTC and Oculus get their act together. Right now, there just aren't that many people who have an HMD.

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU 1440p 144Hz, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

My missions | My server

#4 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 16 April 2016 - 13:15

Even some CV-1 day one pre orders are only expected for delivery now in June...still very early days

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#5 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 16 April 2016 - 13:28

I wonder what's up with that. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects this is a way for Oculus and HTC to inflate the perception of popularity of their devices. "See, so many want one we can't deliver them fast enough". That, or maybe logistics is just hard. It's probably just that. Stil...

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU 1440p 144Hz, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

My missions | My server

#6 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 16 April 2016 - 13:44

Vive are on track (so far) with their original promised deliveries of april, Oculus have admitted to a 'component shortage' and delayed (some) deliveries of pre orders

There is rather a huge stink about it, although in reality the 'world' that the upset is taking place in is a rather small one, but yes , there are plenty of conspiracy theories, LOL  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot, 16 April 2016 - 13:44.

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#7 Irgendjemand

Irgendjemand

Posted 16 April 2016 - 15:17

Ordered half an hour in after preorders started and have deliverydate at the end of may:(

I hope they beat their own estimate. At least that what they said theyll try to do by ramping up production.

The delay is because of some unexpected component shortage.

#8 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 19 April 2016 - 15:07

Despite lack of VR support, I do see people talk about it on these forums from time to time. It's the obvious next step after trackIR and I'm really excited about the possibility of natural head movement in the cockpit and the improved situational awareness that will provide.

That said, the question I always have is about seeing your joystick with the VR headset covering your eyes. How will that work? I can use most of my controls and switches without looking, but I know I'd end up flipping the wrong toggles if I was completely blind with a headset on.

I know one idea is to make switches actionable within the VR cockpit, but that poses various problems including the accuracy of VR hands and the lack of a physical switch to grope for and toggle when your eye is locked in a target in the sights.

Does anyone have insight into this? I'm very curious how this problem will be approached.

#9 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2016 - 16:31

Multiple partial solutions: voice control, looking through the nose gap in the Rift, use the camera in the Vive, and of course muscle memory and touch for the most common controls.

My missions | My server

#10 seafireliv

seafireliv

Posted 19 April 2016 - 16:55

I don`t wanna sound like a meanie, but I wouldn`t be surprised if this thing went `poof` and was lost without a trace.

So far, lot`s of talk and hype, yet I see nothing. I got more of a technology kick out of my debit card yesterday, when the cashier told me I only needed to swipe it, no more need for tapping in numbers!

But then I`m a luddite.

#11 SharpeXB

SharpeXB
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2016 - 17:27

I know one idea is to make switches actionable within the VR cockpit,

Clickable cockpits will not ever be included in IL-2
Indeed the requirement for complex controls in this type of flight sim is an issue.
A flying game made specifically for VR like EVE Valkyrie no doubt is limited to using an XBox controller.

Edited by SharpeXB, 19 April 2016 - 17:34.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K o.c.@4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

#12 Toxin1

Toxin1
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2016 - 18:35

Despite lack of VR support, I do see people talk about it on these forums from time to time. It's the obvious next step after trackIR and I'm really excited about the possibility of natural head movement in the cockpit and the improved situational awareness that will provide.

That said, the question I always have is about seeing your joystick with the VR headset covering your eyes. How will that work? I can use most of my controls and switches without looking, but I know I'd end up flipping the wrong toggles if I was completely blind with a headset on.

I know one idea is to make switches actionable within the VR cockpit, but that poses various problems including the accuracy of VR hands and the lack of a physical switch to grope for and toggle when your eye is locked in a target in the sights.

Does anyone have insight into this? I'm very curious how this problem will be approached.

People are working on it as we speak..................http://i.imgur.com/EOI1SGU.gifv   :salute:

#13 Irgendjemand

Irgendjemand

Posted 21 April 2016 - 15:27

NOONE needs klickable cockpits for BOS. Even in a bomber all needed functions can be programmed to a standard HOTAS system.

For BOS noone needs a keyboard really.

People are working on it as we speak..................http://i.imgur.com/EOI1SGU.gifv   :salute:

awesome:) thanks for posting!

#14 Bmezz

Bmezz
  • Founder

Posted 10 June 2016 - 23:06

I recently got my CV1 and it is absolutely amazing.  I had a DK2 so I have even more appreciation for the upgrade---basically its a 3D cockpit experience (stereoscopic) so you really feel like you are flying for the most part.  the resolution has a few years before it gets really impressive, but believe me---you won't miss it or care once you strap into this thing.  I have been playing DCS World since they support the rift---but I am longing for the day when I can return to my iL2 roots.  they have a P51, Me 109 and and a FW190 D-9 in the DCS. and the D-9 really takes some practice---but I would really like to have the true WWII experience again.

I love the iL2 games with all my heart---but I can't play another flight sim anymore now that I have had the rift---Even Microsoft Flight Sim X (which is like over 10 years old!!) has rift support---so I really hope its getting close to time for you guys to do it.  You won't regret it, lots of new people coming back to flight sims because of VR.

So thats my take.  thanks!

#15 Robcart944

Robcart944

Posted 11 June 2016 - 00:16

A lot of months ago, I was asking about this WW2 flight sim having triple screen support but I never got an answer. I then chose not to purchase this sim because of that. Today I'm here looking for a WW2 flight sim that has VR support but I don't see it here.

I want to get back into flying the IL-2 series flight sim. I bought the IL-2 Sturmovik sim when it first came out and I flew countless hours and have been hooked ever since. The flight hardware I used back in the early 2000's might be a little old but It should still get me airborne until I can get new stick and rudder pedals.  I did change into driving racing sims and have stayed on top of the hardware curve like having multiple monitors and now having virtual reality headset.

I am ready to purchase this flight sim but not until they support the CV1.

Hardware CPU: Intel i7 4770K OC'd to 4.5GHz@1.239Vc | MB: Asus Z87-Pro | RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1866MHz | Disk: Samsung Pro 128GB SSD + 256GB SSD| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix 8GB | Sound: SoundBlaster/Speakers & Realtek/Headphones| PSU: Corsair HX 850W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 | Monitor: 27" 144Hz Monitor |

#16 Robcart944

Robcart944

Posted 11 June 2016 - 19:17

Yup. Just like last time. No answer of any sort.

That's OK, I see another forum posting that covers my question.

Hardware CPU: Intel i7 4770K OC'd to 4.5GHz@1.239Vc | MB: Asus Z87-Pro | RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1866MHz | Disk: Samsung Pro 128GB SSD + 256GB SSD| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix 8GB | Sound: SoundBlaster/Speakers & Realtek/Headphones| PSU: Corsair HX 850W | HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 | Monitor: 27" 144Hz Monitor |

#17 Tomsk

Tomsk
  • Founder

Posted 29 June 2016 - 14:05

I pre-ordered BoS, one of the key features that swayed me to do this was the promised VR support. Feel kinda let down by that, so I won't be buying BoM or any other expansions until VR support has been added.

Edited by Tomsk, 29 June 2016 - 14:06.

#18 216th_Lucas_From_Hell

216th_Lucas_From_Hell

Posted 29 June 2016 - 14:22

From yesterday:

2. Basic support for Steam VR added (HTC Vive). To try it, install Steam VR to install Vive drivers, but close it before running the game, since it accesses the Vive directly. Edit the line or_enable in data\startup.cfg so it reads or_enable = 1 and run the game. If you feel that interface is too close you may also set parameter or_fov_gui = 0.5;

There seems to be a bug causing a conflict between SteamVR and Il-2 right now but these things are usually addressed within the week via a hotfix. :)

#19 FlyAnyTime

FlyAnyTime

Posted 09 July 2016 - 15:25

I'm a 64 year old retired engineer that loves to fly all of the combat flight sims.  I recently purchased a Oculus Rift and found it to be very engaging.  I find it very hard to go back to a simple screen (or three in my case).  I went with the Rift configuration because it bests suites how I play the games (ie sitting down). I felt that the Hive setup was more suited for younger folk that want to getup and play around inside the 15 X 15 designated room. That said I have not been able to actually get BOM or BOS to be displayed in the Oculus headset (DCS 1.5 and 2.0 both work fine). I can get two screens displayed on my monitor but only the Hive initial screen is shown in the headset.  Has anyone solved this problem?

Edited by FlyAnyTime, 09 July 2016 - 15:25.

#20 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 09 July 2016 - 17:50

FlyAnyTime

For now IL-2 BoS/BoM is not compatible with Oculus Rift, since the game engine need to be updated for Direct X-11/12 first.

Edited by Sokol1, 09 July 2016 - 17:51.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#21 JG27_Chivas

JG27_Chivas
  • Founder

Posted 09 July 2016 - 21:38

I'm a 64 year old retired engineer that loves to fly all of the combat flight sims.  I recently purchased a Oculus Rift and found it to be very engaging.  I find it very hard to go back to a simple screen (or three in my case).  I went with the Rift configuration because it bests suites how I play the games (ie sitting down). I felt that the Hive setup was more suited for younger folk that want to getup and play around inside the 15 X 15 designated room. That said I have not been able to actually get BOM or BOS to be displayed in the Oculus headset (DCS 1.5 and 2.0 both work fine). I can get two screens displayed on my monitor but only the Hive initial screen is shown in the headset.  Has anyone solved this problem?

Many people are flying DCS and Warthunder with Rifts, and Vives.  Both these sims have been continually improving VR support over the last year or so.  DCS is also working on a WW2 theater, that could see the light of day in a year or so.   Cliffs of Dover has been working on Rift support for a few months, and recently started looking at Vive support, but VR have been put on hold while they concentrate on their new theater due out later this year if all goes well..  BOS doesn't need DX11 or DX12 to implement VR, but it would help.  Of these sims Cliffs of Dover would probably work best in VR as its easier to maintain 90 fps without having to turn down graphics.   Flight sim VR is the future, and its slowly and steadily moving forward.  You made the right choice in headsets, especially for cockpit style sims.

#22 chiliwili69

chiliwili69
  • Founder

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:39

BOS doesn't need DX11 or DX12 to implement VR

With VR you mean just Vive , right?   or do think that BOS could support Rift without needing DX11/12?

You made the right choice in headsets

If your favorite sim is BOS/ROF I am not sure Rift is the right choice since it could take a while until it is supported. Also, I think the Vive is as good as the Rift for seated experiences, isn´t it?

I was thinking to give a try to CoD (I never played CoD) because the Rift efforts, but if the Rift support has been put on hold I will probably forgot it for the short term.

Edited by chiliwili69, 11 July 2016 - 07:42.

i7 4790K @4.9 GHz; NZXT Kraken X-52 Liquid cooling; 16Gb 4x4 DDR3 2933 MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum; MSI Z97M-Gaming (micro-ATX MoBo in ATX case); Gigabyte G1 Nvidia GTX 1070; 240Gb SSD + 1TB HD; Windows 10 64 bits; Acer XB280HK 28" G-Sync 3840x2160; HOTAS Warthog + 10cm Sahaj extension; Slaw peddals; PlaySeat Revolution; Oculus Rift DK1&DK2&CV1; Only playing in VR

#23 JG27_Chivas

JG27_Chivas
  • Founder

Posted 11 July 2016 - 18:09

With VR you mean just Vive , right?   or do think that BOS could support Rift without needing DX11/12?

If your favorite sim is BOS/ROF I am not sure Rift is the right choice since it could take a while until it is supported. Also, I think the Vive is as good as the Rift for seated experiences, isn´t it?

I was thinking to give a try to CoD (I never played CoD) because the Rift efforts, but if the Rift support has been put on hold I will probably forgot it for the short term.

Oculus dropped support for DX9 games, because VR needs all the optimizations it can get to make it viable, BUT that doesn't mean DX9 games can't have VR implementation in any VR headset.  Flight sims are especially demanding but Oculus new ATW software will help alleviate some of that.  But your right, if your favorite sim is BOS, the Rift might not be the best choice, but see no reason that BOS can't support the Rift..   I personally don't think OpenVR, and Vive is the best choice.  Although OpenVR should improve overtime, but OpenVR doesn't have near the resources necessary to keep up with the resources behind the Oculus SDK.  

The Rift is simply the better headset, especially for flight sims.  The Rift custom displays have a higher pixel fill rate with less SDE,  the optics have a larger sweetspot,  ATW software does the best job to alleviate judder, and the balanced headset is more comfortable for longer periods of time.  The Vive has a slightly larger FOV, at the expense of fill rate.  Clarity is more important that FOV at this point in VR's evolution.  There is no point in having a larger FOV if it makes things more difficult to see.   That said the resolution of either headset is still not optimal for flight sims. 

Most users that have both systems prefer the Rift headset, especially for cockpit style games, and use the Vive for handtracking games.    Touch is more refined that the Vive Wands, and will come out with thirty+ more full scale games, that take advantage of the Touch's extra features.  Oculus has invested heavily to help these game developers extent their developments.  Most of the Wand content is just a little more than demos.  Vive just recently announced they will start funding VR software more, but it may be to little to late.

Oculus simply put more time and money into their system, and software. Valve was working on VR but had no plans to release any hardware, as they were content to gain thirty percent of software sales thru their Store.  IMHO Valve partnered with Vive and rushed out their system when they seen a real threat to their Steam store, when Oculus announced their own store.  Valve will likely need another partner with resources like Nvidia or AMD.  I sincerely hope HTC Vive remains competitive as its good for consumers, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

#24 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 11 July 2016 - 19:41

I consider buying the DK 2 set since it got a price I can understand. I figure it is goo enough for flying DCS. But first a new rig need to be bought. 

Right now I think I buy one with 2 980 TI in SLI for x plane 10 and DCS .

Got my hand in one like that , cheaper than a PC with one 1080 gpu.

I use too long to decide in matters like this, going for flight sim one need expensive hardware

#25 JG27_Chivas

JG27_Chivas
  • Founder

Posted 11 July 2016 - 22:31

I consider buying the DK 2 set since it got a price I can understand. I figure it is goo enough for flying DCS. But first a new rig need to be bought. 

Right now I think I buy one with 2 980 TI in SLI for x plane 10 and DCS .

Got my hand in one like that , cheaper than a PC with one 1080 gpu.

I use too long to decide in matters like this, going for flight sim one need expensive hardware

Don't buy a DK2, its just a prototype made for developers until the CV1 came out.   The consumer versions are better in EVERY way.   The DK2 is unlikely to be supported by futher Oculus software improvements, and even if it was the DK2 hardware wouldn't likely be able to benefit from many of those improvements to the software.

#26 peregrine7

peregrine7
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2016 - 16:08

Just thought I'd chime in, I have a Rift Dk2 and use it daily.

There's a bit of irony here, everybody's talking about how the Rift might fall flat on its face and die, for me it's been the opposite. Flat screen gaming has died. I haven't posted here in... I'll check but at least 6 months, maybe a year. I haven't played more than 10 minutes in that time. I love this game, but since flying DCS in the DK2 I just have no desire to fiddle with trackIR or view things warped on a flat screen. I want to be in the cockpit, even in a "less action packed/fun" game (as DCS is, I enjoy it but WW2 dogfights are my Nirvana) I have more fun just being there than I do trying to play this on a screen. 

I can't believe that my favourite genre, WW2 flight sims, has become something I never play anymore, simply by virtue of not having Rift support. I've been spoiled, not even by the CV1 but the DK2 prototype, into not being able to play this anymore without wishing it was VR compatible.

Seeing as there's Vive support now, Rift support must surely be coming in the next few months (soon^tm). I've literally waited years for this, and I'm sick of being strung along. I bought this game for the VR support it assuredly was going to have, and if it doesn't come soon I'll be getting a refund (either through the company or by force through the Australian Consumer Commission - as I've already contacted them to inquire whether it would be possible, they've stated that based on the blog posts pre-launch I have a case for a refund by false advertising and are 99% certain I'd receive a full refund of $110 AUD). I've held off because I want to love this game, I really want to. It's a great game. I just want to experience it the way it was advertised, the way I now enjoy flight sims. 

VR is absolutely incredible, and even if it doesn't break through to the general market in the next few generations (it most likely will) it will have a permanent future in the simracing and sim-flight markets. These two are so perfectly matched for eachother.  

I've rambled on long enough, back to the shadows and more waiting. I've also spent a lot of time in my mate's CV1, and a bit of time in the Vive. So if ya have any questions about DK2/Vive/Cv1 as away.

Edited by peregrine7, 31 July 2016 - 16:11.

#27 216th_LuseKofte

216th_LuseKofte
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2016 - 20:48

There's a bit of irony here, everybody's talking about how the Rift might fall flat on its face and die, for me it's been the opposite. Flat screen gaming has died. I haven't posted here in... I'll check but at least 6 months, maybe a year. I haven't played more than 10 minutes in that time. I love this game, but since flying DCS in the DK2 I just have no desire to fiddle with trackIR or view things warped on a flat screen. I want to be in the cockpit, even in a "less action packed/fun" game (as DCS is, I enjoy it but WW2 dogfights are my Nirvana) I have more fun just being there than I do trying to play this on a screen. 

This is why I am reluctant to buy a VR device just got new set of controls , excellent for VR device in DCS

But I also got overhead panels and other helpful items making other type of immersion . This brings me to think it is unwise buying VR since I probably will ruin everything else not related to VR

#28 peregrine7

peregrine7
  • Founder

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:18

This is why I am reluctant to buy a VR device just got new set of controls , excellent for VR device in DCS

But I also got overhead panels and other helpful items making other type of immersion . This brings me to think it is unwise buying VR since I probably will ruin everything else not related to VR

It's not so much that it ruined it, it made me "see the light" (oh god I sound like a nutjob). It's just too much fun. It would likely make the overhead panels a waste of money if you got a Rift, HOWEVER if you got a Vive you could still use them via the passthrough camera (which is actually very nice). I prefer the Rift headset (just barely higher resolution, feels like the same FOV, but most importantly it is clearer from the center all the way to your peripheral vision) but if you're using tons of items IRL the  Vive passthrough camera is easy and quick to use and does a really good job.

#29 Tomsk

Tomsk
  • Founder

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:00

So I've now had a Rift for about a month. I'm currently flying DCS and War Thunder with it, since they both have OR support. War Thunder in particular since although it's quite deficient as a sim, the VR support is good, you can find combat in it, and VR is pretty competitive compared to other players.

For me personally, having flown with VR there is no going back to flat monitors. I would love to fly in BoS with my Rift, it is a much better sim than WT. However BoS doesn't support VR, so for now it is of no interest to me. I thoroughly believe that VR is the future of flight sims, and whilst current generation VR headsets are not perfect, they are good enough.

#30 TunaEatsLion

TunaEatsLion
  • Founder

Posted 06 August 2016 - 16:45

So I've now had a Rift for about a month. I'm currently flying DCS and War Thunder with it, since they both have OR support. War Thunder in particular since although it's quite deficient as a sim, the VR support is good, you can find combat in it, and VR is pretty competitive compared to other players.

For me personally, having flown with VR there is no going back to flat monitors. I would love to fly in BoS with my Rift, it is a much better sim than WT. However BoS doesn't support VR, so for now it is of no interest to me. I thoroughly believe that VR is the future of flight sims, and whilst current generation VR headsets are not perfect, they are good enough.

Give them a few months. It's coming.

#31 Robcart944

Robcart944

Posted 09 August 2016 - 19:37

FlyAnyTime

For now IL-2 BoS/BoM is not compatible with Oculus Rift, since the game engine need to be updated for Direct X-11/12 first.

Hi,

I haven't been here to this site enough to know what's going on but what steps they are using towards implementing total VR experience? I see they have included in their last update the Vive support but now I reading here that they will need to update their graphics engine for the Oculus Rift CV1 support. I apologize for sounding so distant but I've only been checking every few months to see if they have the latest graphics support. Before it was for triple-screens but now it's VR graphics. I can't wait to try BoM using the Oculus Rift CV1! You will have a full-time pilot when it comes.  

Edited by Robcart944, 09 August 2016 - 19:38.

#32 19//SAG

19//SAG
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:47

Hi,

I haven't been here to this site enough to know what's going on but what steps they are using towards implementing total VR experience? I see they have included in their last update the Vive support but now I reading here that they will need to update their graphics engine for the Oculus Rift CV1 support. I apologize for sounding so distant but I've only been checking every few months to see if they have the latest graphics support. Before it was for triple-screens but now it's VR graphics. I can't wait to try BoM using the Oculus Rift CV1! You will have a full-time pilot when it comes.  

theyve announced vive support and a move towards dx11 which might eventually translate into OR support

Edited by SAG, 10 August 2016 - 02:47.

SAG

Intel core i5 4670k 4.0 GHZ,  MSI Gaming X Nvidia GTX1070 8GB, HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3 RAM, Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 850W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO SSD- Oculus Rift CV1

#33 vitabutch

vitabutch
  • Founder

Posted 20 August 2016 - 21:14

I just recently became a CV1 owner and have to say bye bye to BoS/BoM until devs will realize their mistake on "oculus support trash priority". They have been complaining about lack of people playing this title. Now w/o rift support they will loose more than half of VR players towards war thunder, CoD TF5 and of course DCS (with Normandy coming later this year).
It's very pity, BOS used to be my favourite Sim. But low BoS/BoM sales will say it's word soon and we will have oculus support prioritized back :)

#34 Rolling_Thunder

Rolling_Thunder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:08

... Now w/o rift support they will loose more than half of VR players towards war thunder, CoD TF5 and of course DCS (with Normandy coming later this year).
It's very pity, BOS used to be my favourite Sim. But low BoS/BoM sales will say it's word soon and we will have oculus support prioritized back :)

You really think the Normandy map will be out this year? LMAO
It's a shame the rift isn't supported yet. BoM is incredible with the VIVE. As an all round experience BoM is way better than DCS in VR. The maps look better, the effects look better even the cockpits look better in BoM. The 3d modelers and texture artists have done an incredible job with this game, they really have. I find myself just flying around enjoying the experience when my mission is complete. I haven't had a chance to use a rift yet so can't compare but I have no problem reading the dials with the vive. Those of you with the rift are in for a treat when it's finally supported

#35 vitabutch

vitabutch
  • Founder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:22

There is no doubt BoS is amazing piece of 3d art and physical modelling. I cannot compare VR in DCS with BoS since my CV1 is not supported. Cockpits in DCS looks incredibly immersive in VR so in BoS it should be even better BUT. What I read in the tech forum: VIVE support in BoS is worrying. People say performance and jitter is a big issue and it's almost unplayable with vive as well. Is it the case? Do you have any problems with performance?
From this I can draw a simple conclusion. To bring vr in the game with no issues 777 have to overhaul the engine to the newer tech like ED did last year. It will mean that we will have natural support of the rift then as well.
As said before there is no chance for devs to stay out from it since commercial success w/o VR in flightsim will be unreachable soon. Maybe by the end of this year when most of the flight sim users will get their own VRs.

#36 Rolling_Thunder

Rolling_Thunder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 13:55

There are folk who have and are still having trouble with the vive in BoS. They talk of jitters and slideshow performance. I'm one of the lucky ones that have it working, the performance is great. I can't measure fps but performance is smooth even over Stalingrad with all the smoke. It's an early implementation and the gui along with the on-screen overlays map/chat etc move with head movement and is sometimes frustrating but gameplay is great.
There are some who think development should be used to expand aircraft and theatres. VR is the future of this genre, working VR, Rift and vive, will bring in more players than another Eastern front expansion and that is what this game needs to grow. Bring it on I say

#37 19//SAG

19//SAG
  • Founder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 18:36

There are folk who have and are still having trouble with the vive in BoS. They talk of jitters and slideshow performance. I'm one of the lucky ones that have it working, the performance is great. I can't measure fps but performance is smooth even over Stalingrad with all the smoke. It's an early implementation and the gui along with the on-screen overlays map/chat etc move with head movement and is sometimes frustrating but gameplay is great.
There are some who think development should be used to expand aircraft and theatres. VR is the future of this genre, working VR, Rift and vive, will bring in more players than another Eastern front expansion and that is what this game needs to grow. Bring it on I say

an OR is 600 dollars and a Vive is 800, full VR support wont bring in more users than a new theater with enhanced gamplay and SIM features IMHO but im all for it, i  will eventually buy a VR headset, maybe in three years or whenever the tech is good enough for me to justify such a hefty purchase, I agree that VR is the next great thing when it comes to simming but it shouldnt be on the top of the priorities list since people who are not willing to fork out 800us right away wont see an improvement to their experience.

SAG

Intel core i5 4670k 4.0 GHZ,  MSI Gaming X Nvidia GTX1070 8GB, HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3 RAM, Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 850W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO SSD- Oculus Rift CV1

#38 vitabutch

vitabutch
  • Founder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 19:31

an OR is 600 dollars and a Vive is 800, full VR support wont bring in more users than a new theater with enhanced gamplay and SIM features IMHO but im all for it, i will eventually buy a VR headset, maybe in three years or whenever the tech is good enough for me to justify such a hefty purchase, I agree that VR is the next great thing when it comes to simming but it shouldnt be on the top of the priorities list since people who are not willing to fork out 800us right away wont see an improvement to their experience.

I would not agree here. For example in my mother Russia OR CV1 was available on the grey market for 1400 USD at the Q1 and now the price is around 1KUSD that I paid last week. VR flying experience in no way can be compared to the flat screen. It's even more frustrating for me as a cockpit build since I have lost all motivation for the cockpit further works. The only desicion making criteria in my mind is to try this thing. Buying decision is coming right after :))) Not many of us would like to wait 3-3 years to save 3-4 hundred usd and not having daily vr flights. :)

#39 Tomsk

Tomsk
  • Founder

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:52

an OR is 600 dollars and a Vive is 800, full VR support wont bring in more users than a new theater with enhanced gamplay and SIM features IMHO but im all for it, i  will eventually buy a VR headset, maybe in three years or whenever the tech is good enough for me to justify such a hefty purchase, I agree that VR is the next great thing when it comes to simming but it shouldnt be on the top of the priorities list since people who are not willing to fork out 800us right away wont see an improvement to their experience.

So I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I don't regret my decision to purchase the OR CV1 at all, I wish I'd done it sooner. Also personally a new theatre, or new planes won't entice me to invest more in BoS. However, if BoS had good VR support, where you can be competitive in VR, I would become very interested. 

#40 Wildcard_

Wildcard_

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:12

Just bought BoS while it was on sale and this is my first post - hello!

I bought a Rift CV1 a few weeks ago and it totally kicks ***.

Elite Dangerous is fantastic, but there's an itch that only a good WW2 sim in VR will scratch - can't wait for VR support in BoS / RoF.

I promise I'll buy BoM if you add support for DX11 & the Rift. I'll also send you a cake.

Edited by Wildcard_, 01 September 2016 - 10:13.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users