curiousGamblerr

Il-2 Mission Planner | online flight planning tool | il2missionplanner.com

Introducing...

Il-2 Mission Planner

...an online flight planning and mapping tool located at il2missionplanner.com!

A bunch of you have seen this already, but today I wanted to "officially" unveil this tool I've been working on for the past few weeks. What you see today is a minimum viable product- with the community's help, I hope to make it even better. Please use this thread for feedback, feature requests and bug reports. Thanks!

ZC3Aj6O.png

Features:

• Fully zoomable Battle of Stalingrad map
  • Create and edit flight plans with configurable name and speed
  • Add editable targets to the map with notes displayed on mouseover
  • Remove individual items or clear the entire map
  • Supported by all major browsers, including tablet and mobile devices

Planned Features:

• Additional map items, such as CAP areas and different marker types
  • Support for other game maps, especially Battle of Moscow
  • Airfield markers and information, including runway headings
  • Wind speed and direction indicator (stretch goal: wind correction calculations)
  • Fuel and altitude calculations

How you can help:

• If you know how to code and would like to contribute, let me know! I'll be sharing the Github repo soon
  • I need a high resolution copy of the other maps
  • Most importantly, I need your feedback! Whether it be bug reports or feature requests, please tell me what you think.

Thanks for checking it out!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 25

Kameraden,

Very nice, used last evening for a Bf-110 Train Station attack. Used on second laptop beside my system and was great having the map up and available during the flight.

S!

Looks great! Will have to give this a go. May be time to hook-up the 2nd monitor. Thank you.

Kameraden,

Very nice, used last evening for a Bf-110 Train Station attack. Used on second laptop beside my system and was great having the map up and available during the flight.

S!

I'm glad it was useful to you!

Looks great! Will have to give this a go. May be time to hook-up the 2nd monitor. Thank you.

Let me know what you think when you give it a try.

Thanks for this our squadron will use this tool for coordinated attacks on the NME.

Thanks for this our squadron will use this tool for coordinated attacks on the NME.

Glad to hear it!

In other news, I just fixed a bug with the time calculations. Hopefully I didn't lead anyone off course- should be more accurate now!

• Upvote 1

Gambler,

Very cool and useful tool. It always took me forever to locate those obscure air fields on the map. Now they are easily located.

Many thanks

Thanks all for the kind feedback!

Just a reminder- if you experience bugs or would like to see improvements to the tool that I haven't mentioned already, please mention them here.

And a small update- I'm still working on tidying up the code to open it up for contributions, so if anyone codes and would like to contribute, let me know.

I really like te tool alot, thanks for sharing!

Just one thought: for having a better general overview within an online mission briefing it would be a nice feature

if the time and course description for each leg between waypoints was an overlay that is to be shown or hidden.

Edited by II./ZG15_Falke

Thanks for the feedback Falke, I'm glad you like it!

I didn't think to make the flight info on each leg toggle-able, but that's a good idea.

Thanks to whoever posted this tool in the russian forums! (I can see referral traffic coming from the .ru forums, woo!)

I broke the tool on some browsers last night without realizing, oops... Anyway, it's fixed now! In case anyone saw it broken.

Nice tool. Would it be possible to have a mode where you can move different icons by drag&drop and draw vectors that don't stay on the map, i.e. a sort of command communications centre map tool?

Hey there, thanks for the feedback!

I haven't developed this thing in a few weeks because I've been busy with the day job, but additional icons are on the roadmap. I will probably just add a dropdown so you select your icon type rather than have it always be the target icon.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "vectors that don't stay on the map", can you elaborate? 

In other news, since I haven't posted in this thread for a while: I was at a conference recently where I learned about some interesting real time tools that provide functionality I couldn't build myself (given time contraints). It will take a while, but perhaps in a few months I will have a situation like e.g. Google docs where multiple users can be in the same map editing simultaneously and planning together. 

• Upvote 1

New maps from the latest update are up! Post here if there are any problems.

Give your browser a refresh, maybe clear your cache if the old tiles persist.

• Upvote 1

where multiple users can be in the same map editing simultaneously and planning together.

This.

Esso

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "vectors that don't stay on the map", can you elaborate? 

Pretty much what you have now with the Flight plans, except after placing the starting point, the tool would show the direction and distance to the point where the "Click to continue the flight plan" text is.

where multiple users can be in the same map editing simultaneously and planning together. 

Yes. This!

Thanks Gamblerr for working on this tool, shure makes getting to targets easy and back to strip. Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tool.

Is  there a way to save our flight plan ?

Thanks for the tool.

Is  there a way to save our flight plan ?

Not yet, but I'm working on a way to download/upload a save file of your flight plan right now. That way you can save the plan for yourself, or share it with other pilots.

I'll post here when that feature is released!

• Upvote 1

Pretty much what you have now with the Flight plans, except after placing the starting point, the tool would show the direction and distance to the point where the "Click to continue the flight plan" text is.

btw Temuri, I understand now. I would like to do that eventually- it's kind of annoying when you want to map directly East/West, etc..

Unfortunately it's a bit tricky since I'm using an existing mapping framework underneath things. I've hacked the crap out of it, however, and gotten pretty comfortable with the internals so I should be able to add this eventually. Another thing I would like is the ability to hold shift or something and have the route snap to 000, 045, 090, 135 and so on.

The export/import and sharing functionality is a higher priority, however, so don't expect anything for a while. Mostly because the ability for a whole squadron to watch their flight lead map a route would be the dankest thing ever I think haha so I hope I actually pull that off eventually  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Not yet, but I'm working on a way to download/upload a save file of your flight plan right now. That way you can save the plan for yourself, or share it with other pilots.

I'll post here when that feature is released!

Ok, it will be great having such option.

Yeah, I think so too. You gave me an idea of what to do with this Saturday, so I've been working on it.

You can see what I've got so far in the beta region: http://beta.il2missionplanner.com/

It's not perfect, but getting there. Note the two new import/export buttons on the bottom right.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the support guys.

Put a few other little things in beta today- a button to jump to a specific grid and another to fit the view around the mission plan. Be sure to refresh the page so the newest version loads.

My general plan is as follows:

• Finish the import/export save file functionality in the next week or two
  • Spend a month or two polishing things such as form validation, error messages, button placement and grouping, code organization, etc.
  • Then start working on the multi-user edit bit, hopefully finish it by Christmas if I manage to pull it off

Thanks for using it  :salute:

Edited by 19.G//curiousGamblerr

DEVS,

This needs to be implemented into the game. When we press 'O' we should be able to plan our missions and send the plan to our squad mates by:

O > Select Players > Send Mission

THIS ALSO NEEDS TO BE PINNED Please!!!!!

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 6

THIS ALSO NEEDS TO BE PINNED Please!!!!!

I messaged Jason or somebody a while ago, didn't hear back, but yeah it would be sweet if this could be pinned :biggrin:  

This needs to be implemented into the game. When we press 'O' we should be able to plan our missions and send the plan to our squad mates by:     O > Select Players > Send Mission       THIS ALSO NEEDS TO BE PINNED Please!!!!!

+1 

And Curious Gamblerr great job ! thanks a lot !

JImTM sent me the flight plans in text today...I imported from a notepad file and POW.  flight plan was amazing.  Thanks Curious!

• Upvote 1

JImTM sent me the flight plans in text today...I imported from a notepad file and POW.  flight plan was amazing.  Thanks Curious!

Hearing stuff like this makes my day  :biggrin:  Glad you guys have found it useful! Really appreciate the feedback everyone.

• Upvote 1

I second what GrendelsDad wrote. The planner is very useful for planning our Pe-2 missions on the SNBF. I LOVE the export/import feature!

Is it technically possible at some point in the future to rotate the map? Back when I flew Cessna 150s, I used to rotate the map to match the route I was flying.

Cheers!

Jim

Is it technically possible at some point in the future to rotate the map?

Well... just tested something quick and dirty, it actually seems pretty possible. The creation of new routes breaks, but you can move around the map and edit fine... Perhaps in the future I could make a control to rotate the map to a particular heading, and disable creating new routes while it's rotated (unless I can find a fix for that, possible). Unfortunately I have quite the backlog of features and things, so it will be a while, but I have added it to my list :) it's a good suggestion! (In the meantime, if you're comfortable with editing CSS I could show you how to hack it to a particular heading in the meantime  ;) )