how to add more cameras

[DBS]airdoc

[DBS]airdoc

Hi all,

currently the Alt+F2 cameras in game are 5. The location of each camera relative to the aircraft can be found in the folder :

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\LuaScripts\WorldObjects\fixcameras\Planes

they are saved in the relative .txt files.

For most aircraft, there is a way to increase the number to 11, by adding info using the same code structure and increasing the number of the "attach=100"  all the way up to 110. This way you can get more possibilities for creating a video, move the camera to a position in which you can use external padlock and get a nice view of both aircraft, get no-cockpit view, behind or down view, etc.

below is an example of my txt file for the 109 F4 (included are the instructions of what each number represents):

If you want to keep all existing ALT+F2 positions and add 5 more, just paste the positions you like using the appropriate numbers.

Feel free to use it or modify it. I 'm not sure what the "convex" command does, maybe the devs could help here.

This may be useful only for the 109 series. You should change the coordinates for other planes.

***please back up your original files before making any changes***

// attach ID should be in range from 100 to 110
// first number is forward - backward (bigger is forward)
// second number is height (bigger is higher)
// third number is left - right (negative is left)
// rotation values : 1st along X-longitudinal, 2nd along Y-vertical, 3rd along Z-look up-down)

[attach=100] // Nose camera facing infront, 25m ahead
    position = 25, 0, 0
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
    convex = "Fin_Ctl_0"
    object = "LuaScripts/WorldObjects/GoProCamera90.txt"
[end]

[attach=101] // below
    position = 0, -20, 0
    rotation = 0, 0, -90
    object = "LuaScripts/WorldObjects/GoProCamera75.txt"
[end]

[attach=102] // backward facing camera, behind the aircraft
    position = -25 , 0, 0
    rotation = 0, 180, 0
    convex = "Stab_MdlLft_0"
[end]

[attach=103] // Side camera located on L wing //
    position = 0, -0.2, -25
    rotation = 0, 90, 0
    convex = "Wing_MdlLft_1"
[end]

[attach=104] // Side camera located on R wing //
    position = 0, -0.2, 25
    rotation = 0, -90, 0
    convex = "Wing_MdlLft_1"
[end]

[attach=105] // Backward camera located on the engine cowling
    position = 5, 0.6, -0.6
    rotation = 0, 170, 0
[end]

[attach=106] // Side camera gun camera L
    position = 0.7, -0.3, -1.1
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
[end]

[attach=107] // Side camera gun camera R
    position = 0.7, -0.3, 1.1
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
[end]

[attach=108] // Behind and low  facing forward
    position = -6, -4, 1
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
[end]

[attach=109] //  Behind and high facing forward
    position = -7, 3, -1
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
[end]

[attach=110] // behind center line high
    position = -8, 7, 0
    rotation = 0, 0, 0
[end]

Edited by [DBS]airdoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 15

• 1 year later...

Sorry for dredging an old thread up and I hope this info isn't in another newer thread that I've missed. I've been playing around with camera placement on some planes to help me create a guncam view. I've been successful in getting them close by trial and error on the planes I want to use. The one part of it I'm having trouble with is the rotation values. My question is this, is there a way to "lock" the view so it has no rotational value in any direction? That meaning, the camera points straight out from the airplane I'm using? Setting them to 0, 0, 0 doesn't stop the camera from turning left or right for me.

Or would these values be in the camera settings menu inside the game?

The Alt+F2 cameras are by default locked relative to the airplane. The rotational values define where the camera is looking and by using the mouse you can move it around. By setting 0,0,0 the camera should be looking straight ahead, like a guncam. There are no other options for these cameras inside the game.

I 'm not sure what you mean by saying that you can't stop the camera from turning left or right. The camera is anchored to the plane at the specified position and follows the plane's movements. Plane rolls, camera rolls, plane pitches, camera pitches, etc.

Edited by [DBS]airdoc

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Sorry for dredging an old thread up and I hope this info isn't in another newer thread that I've missed. I've been playing around with camera placement on some planes to help me create a guncam view. I've been successful in getting them close by trial and error on the planes I want to use. The one part of it I'm having trouble with is the rotation values. My question is this, is there a way to "lock" the view so it has no rotational value in any direction? That meaning, the camera points straight out from the airplane I'm using? Setting them to 0, 0, 0 doesn't stop the camera from turning left or right for me.

Don't touch your mouse or use TrackIR when in this camera more.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Check the camera settings. If it's active, uncheck "cinematic mode".

• 4 weeks later...

Great! But nothing happens when I add camera to the fw 190 a3. :(

It's working ok on my part. You 've probably used wrong coding. Check the camera numbers in the [attach=] command and also make sure that you have not missed any [end] commands.

• 4 months later...
CAPSLOCK_ON

Hello,

Thanks for this thread, I got exactly what I was looking for, being able to replicate guncamera view, and together with ReShade, I can get the typical B&W WWII guncamera film replication - only better if I could add more grain and speckles to ReShade... :D

Anyway, I got to change the views with Alt+F2, but I noticed that attaches from 106 and on are not being recognized, somehow I only got the positions from attach=100 through 105. The attach=106 and on positions won't show. Any clues?

Thanks!

CAPSLOCK_ON

Here are what my ReShade settings does to the image when it is activated. I've placed a guncamera position trying to replicate historical WWII footage. 

It looks great when replaying the kills in that position with ReShade rendering in real time. 

Il-2 2018-04-12 04-25-45.jpg

Il-2 2018-04-12 04-25-52.jpg

Il-2 2018-04-12 04-26-10.jpg

Il-2 2018-04-12 04-26-15.jpg

Edited by CAPSLOCK_ON

[DBS]airdoc
On 4/10/2018 at 9:08 AM, CAPSLOCK_ON said:

Anyway, I got to change the views with Alt+F2, but I noticed that attaches from 106 and on are not being recognized, somehow I only got the positions from attach=100 through 105. The attach=106 and on positions won't show. Any clues?

Hi

If the cameras from 106 and on are not working, check the .txt file. Usually this happens when there is an error in the syntax, such as a misplaced [end] command or faulty numbering in the [attach] commands.

cheers

• Thanks 1

CAPSLOCK_ON
3 hours ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

Hi

If the cameras from 106 and on are not working, check the .txt file. Usually this happens when there is an error in the syntax, such as a misplaced [end] command or faulty numbering in the [attach] commands.

cheers

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I remember I checked the .txt lines syntaxes and even had copied the lines from the working positions (100 to 105) to the 106, 107 etc. lines, to no avail. This on both 109G-6 and La-5FN (my testbeds) Then I searched the Il-2 BoS folder for the referred .txt files (GoProCamera90.txt and GoProCamera75.txt) but couldn't find any of them on the path specificied. Gonna take a second look/search for them somewhere else as I'm still fiddling with this.

Anyway, I guess that these GoProCameraXX.txt files could make reference to the Field of View (FoV), right? I tried changing the numbers, (e.g. GoProCamera45.txt to narrow FoV and simulate telephoto lenses as the guncameras' lenses were), but nothing changed.

Also, the "convex" line could be a reference to the 3D model object where the camera could attach to, as the 3D models for Il-2 (I was a modeller on the old Il-2) are made of several parts. So this [convex = "Wing_MdlLft_1"] could be "Wing Middle Left". The attachments without objects names could mean that cameras would "float" in a given position relative to the airplane, instead of attaching to a specific airplane's 3D object. 

But are only guesses... :)

[DBS]airdoc
35 minutes ago, CAPSLOCK_ON said:

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I remember I checked the .txt lines syntaxes and even had copied the lines from the working positions (100 to 105) to the 106, 107 etc. lines, to no avail. This on both 109G-6 and La-5FN (my testbeds) Then I searched the Il-2 BoS folder for the referred .txt files (GoProCamera90.txt and GoProCamera75.txt) but couldn't find any of them on the path specificied. Gonna take a second look/search for them somewhere else as I'm still fiddling with this.

Anyway, I guess that these GoProCameraXX.txt files could make reference to the Field of View (FoV), right? I tried changing the numbers, (e.g. GoProCamera45.txt to narrow FoV and simulate telephoto lenses as the guncameras' lenses were), but nothing changed.

Also, the "convex" line could be a reference to the 3D model object where the camera could attach to, as the 3D models for Il-2 (I was a modeller on the old Il-2) are made of several parts. So this [convex = "Wing_MdlLft_1"] could be "Wing Middle Left". The attachments without objects names could mean that cameras would "float" in a given position relative to the airplane, instead of attaching to a specific airplane's 3D object. 

But are only guesses... :)

I haven't checked the G6 and La5FN to be honest, but I don't have an issue with other planes. Have you tried the 109 F4?

If it does work there, it is probably an issue related to the specific modules.

As for the convex commands, I don't know what they mean either. I just use the same in every modification and it works.

There is an issue with some views though that may be related. If two objects are one the same line of sight (ie two airplanes) and one in front of another, the aircraft behind may appear infront. 

CAPSLOCK_ON
On 12/04/2018 at 12:11 PM, [DBS]airdoc said:

I haven't checked the G6 and La5FN to be honest, but I don't have an issue with other planes. Have you tried the 109 F4?

If it does work there, it is probably an issue related to the specific modules.

As for the convex commands, I don't know what they mean either. I just use the same in every modification and it works.

There is an issue with some views though that may be related. If two objects are one the same line of sight (ie two airplanes) and one in front of another, the aircraft behind may appear infront. 

I haven't tried the 109 F4 yet, as I realized that I actually need only 3 camera positions to emulate historical gun camera footage - nose and both wing roots. So, being able to attach "only" 5 positions will suffice for now. I got pretty promising results using ReShade and AMD ReLive for the recording. It is nice to get to simulate gun camera footage in real time.

Next steps would be to attach gun cameras to the other planes beside 109 G-6 and La-5FN and start recording some demos. :) 

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2016 at 4:14 PM, [DBS]airdoc said:

Hi all,

currently the Alt+F2 cameras in game are 5.

Is it possible in Rise of flight?

Raptorattacker
9 hours ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

I don't know, haven't tried it.

LOVELY vids Doc!! I smiled.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I love this thread. One of my favorite things to do in FSX was to modify the camera.cfg files and come up with really interesting new views. Now I have a camera config file to tweak around with again.  😍

• 1 month later...

Hello, I do not have any folder called WorldObjects in my LuaScripts folder, so I can't edit the F2 views. All I have is a snapviews folder and a config file, CBalance.cfg. Don't know if it matters, but I'm currently using the steam version (which I've also tried validating, but it didn't help).

[DBS]airdoc

I just checked my installation directory and its not there either. Perhaps an update removed this folder altogether.

Weird, wonder why they removed it. Is it still possible for you to access those customs views from the F2 camera (that is, if you had those customs views to begin with, before the removal of the folder)? If you can, maybe they just moved them?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

You assume we removed it on purpose. I didn't approve it, so not sure what happened. 

Edit - we did remove it from the default game (team failed to tell me) due to it being exploited by cheaters. I can't go into detail. Still worked in Mods on and I want to add some more for the default game so there is good variety for the common user. If anyone has some custom camera angles they like please get in touch with me. 

Jason

49 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

You assume we removed it on purpose. I didn't approve it, so not sure what happened. 

Edit - we did remove it from the default game (team failed to tell me) due to it being exploited by cheaters. I can't go into detail. Still worked in Mods on and I want to add some more for the default game so there is good variety for the common user. If anyone has some custom camera angles they like please get in touch with me. 

Jason

I see, too bad that it was exploited. Sorry for not quite understanding, but does it work if I tick the mods option in the game settings (will the folder appear again)?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

No it won't re-appear. Just need to add it, but you need the latest files.

Jason

[DBS]airdoc

Thanks Jason. 

Is it possible to re-introduce this feature in a different manner?

For example, the player hits regular external with F2, and moves the camera with the W-A-S-D keys or mouse. When he finds the position he likes, he clicks a button-combination that saves this position as an alt-F2 camera. Each alt-F2 is assigned a different keybind (ie ctrl+alt+1, ctrl+alt+2, etc) This could be saved in game encrypted so no cheat possible. 

I think that what most people use from the modified alt+f2 views is the no-cockpit view.

Edited by [DBS]airdoc

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
9 minutes ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

Thanks Jason. 

Is it possible to re-introduce this feature in a different manner?

For example, the player hits regular external with F2, and moves the camera with the W-A-S-D keys or mouse. When he finds the position he likes, he clicks a button-combination that saves this position as an alt-F2 camera. Each alt-F2 is assigned a different keybind (ie ctrl+alt+1, ctrl+alt+2, etc) This could be saved in game encrypted so no cheat possible. 

I think that what most people use from the modified alt+f2 views is the no-cockpit view.

Too much work right now. We have way too much other stuff for small programming team. Maybe someday.

Jason

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

Will there be a way to use the Alt+F2 cameras in coop anytime soon?

Because the Alt+F2 cameras are blocked in coop right now.

31 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

No it won't re-appear. Just need to add it, but you need the latest files.

Jason

Would it be possible to re-add the folder? I'm guessing you guys changed it so that without the mods option checked it ignores the editable folder, which makes it cheat proof, so no harm should come from the folder being there. Otherwise is it possible to acquire the folder somehow without your own backup (and in a legal way)?

Else I can just wait for you guys to add some more standard views, it's not game changing for me (I mostly wanted to use a gun-cam closer to the cockpit/actual gun).

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Data/Luascripts/Worldobjects/(Place contents into worldobjects folder.)

Jason

fixcameras.zip 62.79 kB · 42 downloads

Hi Jason. I really wanted to play with some new cameras but folliwing the process outlined above crashed the game to the desktop.

I went into the LuaScripts folder and there is no longer a WorldObjects folder. So I created one, added the contents of the zip file and the game crashes every time. 

Having extra cameras would be a really benefit to the movie makers amongst us but currently the fixcameras option cannot be used. I appreciate it may be that your team considered it stopped cheaters, but as there is an option to have mods switched on, I don't know why this doesn't work?

Any help on getting the extra Alt+F2 cameras working would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mysticpuma

On 12/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, Mysticpuma said:

Hi Jason. I really wanted to play with some new cameras but folliwing the process outlined above crashed the game to the desktop.

I went into the LuaScripts folder and there is no longer a WorldObjects folder. So I created one, added the contents of the zip file and the game crashes every time. 

Having extra cameras would be a really benefit to the movie makers amongst us but currently the fixcameras option cannot be used. I appreciate it may be that your team considered it stopped cheaters, but as there is an option to have mods switched on, I don't know why this doesn't work?

Any help on getting the extra Alt+F2 cameras working would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mysticpuma

Just bumping this. Can we have the folder back to add extra cameras please?

RNAS10_Oliver

Since when? Continued to work for me on 4th December. Do not think I've had any updates to IL2 since then?

EDIT:

Just checked again and mine continue to work fine.

So assume you've made a whoopsie somewhere. I dunno whether its case sensitive but my folder that I created as per Jasons path above was Worldobjects not WorldObjects. Within that folder is the fixcameras folder and within that is Planes and Vehicles. Perhaps you have included an extra fixcameras folder when unzipping? Also running in Mods On mode?

Edited by Oliver88

20 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Since when? Continued to work for me on 4th December. Do not think I've had any updates to IL2 since then?

EDIT:

Just checked again and mine continue to work fine.

So assume you've made a whoopsie somewhere. I dunno whether its case sensitive but my folder that I created as per Jasons path above was Worldobjects not WorldObjects. Within that folder is the fixcameras folder and within that is Planes and Vehicles. Perhaps you have included an extra fixcameras folder when unzipping? Also running in Mods On mode?

Oliver thanks for the reply. It appears I was missing the folder "fixcameras". Off to try again :) Thanks for the headsup, cheers, MP

• 2 months later...

Eureka, installed, Worldobjects is the name ..... finally i got cameras, now figure out how to work with 'em and record a video.

And while looking at all the nice views halfways through a loooong mission i pressed Alt F4 accidentally ... sh*t. ===> Start all over again.