Han

Developer Diary, Part 124 - Discussion

Hello everybody!

Another week passed and the release of IL-2 Battle of Moscow is one week closer. We have work to do on the campaign (three more people are working on it at the moment), Moscow region map is almost final so we'll be able to show you the new screenshots of it next week. We also plan to start Ju 88 A-4 beta testing next week, it's a complex plane and we still have to finalize some minor things.
Moreover, official aircraft skins are ready. We presented you the skins for 5 planes in the developer's diary #119 and now we can show you the skins for remaining 5. Here they are:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 7

Finnish air force Ju-88 seems to be in those skins. Nice! All of them look good to me though.

Thanks for the update, looking forward for BoM  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Great skins! Looking forward to seeing them ingame. Hope everything goes smoothly with the development of the 88

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar

Excellent job with the skins, a lot of them look gorgeous !

Like Asgar, I hope that everything will go according to plans and that the 88 will be ready for beta next week.

Nice selection of skins. I think Assi Hahn's red nosed 109 may need verification though. As I understand it, recent research indicates that it was likely yellow.

Nice selection of skins. I think Assi Hahn's red nosed 109 may need verification though. As I understand it, recent research indicates that it was likely yellow.

my first reaction when i saw it was "i wonder if he ever got shot at by some fellow luftwaffe pilots because of that" :D it reminds me of the yak 

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar

Well if you google it you'll find both versions about 50/50 on illustrations, scale models ect. Yellow definetly would make sense as it was a uniformed identification colour, but it's also known some pilots preferred special paint schemes over the standardized ones.

Agree, those are nice skins. A little confused to see Ju-88C/G nightfighter paint scheme for the Ju88 A-4 but I guess it's not an issue for most as long as it looks cool.

Fabulous skins! - Good to hear that development is progressing well. You guys are a well-oiled machine by now :-)

Agree, those are nice skins. A little confused to see Ju-88C/G nightfighter paint scheme for the Ju88 A-4 but I guess it's not an issue for most as long as it looks cool.

maybe that means we will get some forward facing guns after all. maybe that the things they are still working on  ;) (one can only keep dreaming)

Yup. Assi Hahn's F-2 didn't have red markings, these are a misinterpretation of a b/w photo. RLM 04 can, when freshly applied, look almost orange in tone and under the right sunlight conditions it can look almost like red on a b/w picture. That happened here.

In fact the Luftwaffe attempted to ban the use of red in any markings after the Polish Campaign. In the end only a few units retained red as the colour of their tactical markings, most switched to black.

Edited by csThor

I'm afraid that also Macchi 202 skins need some attentions, however is not a big problem considering we can create our how skins. Forx ex. we never paint Macchi 202 with white (winter) scheme. In Russia Macchi flew only with MED scheme.

Waiting for the Ju-88, this is important.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

The Hans von Hahn I/JG3 should almost certainly be grey around the Tazelwurm, not yellow. The insignia was painted onto the factory finish and the yellow nose (channel front marking) applied with a cut out over the top.

BlackHellHound's version of this skin is correct IMHO and is consistent with that of his T/O where the cut out is clearly not yellow.

But they all look nicely done.

Yup. Assi Hahn's F-2 didn't have red markings, these are a misinterpretation of a b/w photo. RLM 04 can, when freshly applied, look almost orange in tone and under the right sunlight conditions it can look almost like red on a b/w picture. That happened here.

In fact the Luftwaffe attempted to ban the use of red in any markings after the Polish Campaign. In the end only a few units retained red as the colour of their tactical markings, most switched to black.

+1

Let us consider this red nose Friedrich as a tribute to Peter Endsleigh Castle, the artist author of so many multi-view artwork of the serie Profile Publication, very popular in the sixties when I was a teenager ;)

image.jpg

• Upvote 3

is there any way to fix the share the post number from the page as every-time I do, it only shares the top page and doesn't go to the post number. for example, I copy share post number #168 but when I share it it will only share post #119. 

A little confused to see Ju-88C/G nightfighter paint scheme for the Ju88 A-4 but I guess it's not an issue for most as long as it looks cool.

Not sure any of them are nightfighter skins. I initially thought 1H+KT was, but then I found this profile: 

Artwork-Junkers-Ju-88A14-9.KG26-(1H+KT)-

• Upvote 1

Not sure any of them are nightfighter skins. I initially thought 1H+KT was, but then I found this profile: 

judging from the emblem this one is. NJG Nachtjägergeschwader (night fighter squadron)

2_97.jpg

post-19-0-69272600-1457082328.jpg

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar
  • Upvote 1

Awesome keep up the great work gentlemen!  :salute:

Love the skins. Oddly enough my favourite are the all-white winter ones, they really show the aircraft in a great light and allow you to see just how detailed the models are.

The bare metal on the Macchi skin looks great! Much better than other attempts I've seen at making an aluminium look in this sim.

How do you achieve this look?

Well I pretty much suspected both to be. If this profile is to be trusted, R4 DK was indeed a A-4 / trop but in service with the NJG.2

TC_Ju_88_A4_R4+DK+_lb.jpg

If that's the case it's close enought for sure. Only a few bomber variants were converted to night fighters before the dedicated C and G versions appeared so I assumed it would be a later variant.

Interesting pictures. There's a clearly visible contrast between the upper cowling and the lower cowling plate (which is probably RLM04 as it's darker than the underside colour of the wing, RLM76). So the upper cowling could have possibly been red or orange and the lower one yellow?

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Leave it red. If even is not historical is just awesome!

Excellent artists on your graphic department by the way. They are superb!!!

Edited by Peterla

The Ju-88 is looking real nice. I can't wait to fly and test it. Not to mention get the template out to the skinners.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Well I pretty much suspected both to be. If this profile is to be trusted, R4 DK was indeed a A-4 / trop but in service with the NJG.2

TC_Ju_88_A4_R4+DK+_lb.jpg

If that's the case it's close enought for sure. Only a few bomber variants were converted to night fighters before the dedicated C and G versions appeared so I assumed it would be a later variant.

Its most likely that it was a A4 that never got converted to nightfighters because the unit was most likely useing them as illuminator. They would drop light bombs on parachutes so other nightfighters could hunt without searchlights or radar.

This technique was most successful when there was a cloud cover beneath the bombers than any attacking bomber was a well illuminated target for the Nightfighters of the group.

post-385-0-44913600-1457117857_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-08121600-1457117907_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunsmith86