Sign in to follow this  
Danziger

Bare metal

Some people say the new Il-2 series can't do it. This looks like bare metal to me.

post-30291-0-13121300-1456971243_thumb.jpgpost-30291-0-37371400-1456971247_thumb.jpgpost-30291-0-34469800-1456971251_thumb.jpg

Tbh that's not quite how bare metal looks on aircraft. Bare metal reflects light a nearly any angle which can't be simulated ingame. Physical reflection moeling is sth where WT and DCS are far ahead of BoS.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

It's surely nice but you can clearly see the reflections added to the diffuse texture (which is not dynamic). That's not to say it's bad, but it's simply not quite how polished / bare alluminium looks like.

Someone posted how it was possible in RoF but the same skins are getting a much different result in BOS.

Seems like they changed something in the engine.

It's surely nice but you can clearly see the reflections added to the diffuse texture (which is not dynamic). That's not to say it's bad, but it's simply not quite how polished / bare alluminium looks like.

Completly agree. I'd tried all tints of alpha channel. It just doesn't work here like to say in RoF. Here in BoS is impossible to recreate authentic-looking bare metall texture. Period.

What about paint chips on the LaGG? Just because they are small pieces you can't tell they fail. But they do. 

Edited by samson

Sorry, I did not realize that the reflections were just painted on (facepalm). Thanks!

Well the wing reflection is real, just the line across the middle fuselage is skin painted. Guess sth similar is done for the wing, too.

I really tried hard to make it look almost realistic but whatever I tried it just failed to convince at all angles. At some angles when light is weak the surface will just appear matt grey. The glossy reflection also looks more like wet aircraft skin rather than bare metal, which reflects more diffuse at rectangle angles and very intense at shallow angles.

Here's some of my attempts with diffuse texture colouring.

SQp0CTD.jpg

l51Bkq7.jpg

ACGQ3Mm.jpg

It only looks liek that at optimal angles. Also this technique is easily overdone and makes planes look weird when flying in the dark or under cloud shadow where little light is expected to be reflected from the aircraft.

• Upvote 1

I want to point out that the lighting is different in the game than it is in the Skin Viewer, so it's always good to check the final result in-game just in case.

I don't think the material is designed with bare metal in mind. It works with small spots, where you don't really see the shading and reflections on the metal.

The material is doing a white specular effect and a very mirror like real time reflection, making it look like a painted surface. To achieve the bare metal effect combined with the paint, I guess you need to combine two materials with different properties through a mask, and that would only be doable through altering the shaders.

But like I said, small spots in metal colours does look like bare metals, since you don't have a large surface.

Well the wing reflection is real, just the line across the middle fuselage is skin painted. Guess sth similar is done for the wing, too.

I really tried hard to make it look almost realistic but whatever I tried it just failed to convince at all angles. At some angles when light is weak the surface will just appear matt grey. The glossy reflection also looks more like wet aircraft skin rather than bare metal, which reflects more diffuse at rectangle angles and very intense at shallow angles.

Here's some of my attempts with diffuse texture colouring.

SQp0CTD.jpg

l51Bkq7.jpg

ACGQ3Mm.jpg

It only looks liek that at optimal angles. Also this technique is easily overdone and makes planes look weird when flying in the dark or under cloud shadow where little light is expected to be reflected from the aircraft.

The 109 looks the closest to a bare metal effect, which is quite hard considering the panels on the fuselage aren't as rounded as other planes.

Just wondering, did you transfer the metal shading layer over to the Alpha channel as well? (for the different angles of refection).​

The top of the planes surfaces would see the most light, so my guess would be that tone, (within the Alpha channel as well), would need to be lighter, and as for the edges, lighter again. Blue mixed with the various shades of tones may help?  A real hard task this is! Great effort with what you have achieved so far.

Thx :) About your question regarding alpha tuning, well I had similar thoughs but it turned out to not work very well. Grey tones not only change the intensity of reflections but also the mix of "gloss" and "shine" effect, which may result in ackward reflection gradients. I figured it's better to just make the alpha texture with a uniform grey and apply some shading to the diffuse texture.

Some slight colouring makes it look nicer but you shouldn't go over the top. As for the 109 I picked a slight pinkish-blueish overlay which turned out to look better with ingame lightning. For the captured Mig I used a light blueish overlay.

Btw: I based my technique on this guide here (I didn't go as much into detail): http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&file=print&kid=484&page=1

• Upvote 1

This is the closest to a metal effect I've been able to achieve to date, (where the chipped/worn paint can be seen in the image below).

It really depends on the light and the angles tho... Some angles appear more like steel, while other angles just appear grey.

post-23608-0-31533800-1457945962_thumb.jpg

Regards

This is the closest to a metal effect I've been able to achieve to date, (where the chipped/worn paint can be seen in the image below).

It really depends on the light and the angles tho... Some angles appear more like steel, while other angles just appear grey.

attachicon.gif2016_3_14__7_41_10.jpg

Regards

Soo realistic skin, congrats M8

• Upvote 1

Great job!

The alpha channel can help getting those chippings look like metal but unfortunately it really depends on the angle..