Han

Finding the cause of a random crash issue (Special Thread #1)

This thread has been created to find the cause of the random game crashing with the community help.
Game version 1.107b and later is required for submitting crash dumps.

Please post only the data requested and avoid off-topic discussion.

1. To enable Windows Error Reporting, run (double-click) this log file:
\data\EnableErrorReporting.reg
2. In a case of the game crash open the folder where crash dumps are stored, you can do this by running this batch file:
\data\ViewCrashDumps.cmd
3. Sort the dump files by date to find a newest one
4. Zip the newest dump file "Il-2.exe.****.dmp" (**** is a random number)
5. Post about the crash in this thread, attach the archive you just made and provide some details:
  • When you encountered the crash;
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario);
  • In what mission;
  • What did you do before the crash;
  • What happened in the mission before the crash;
  • Additional info you think is relevant to the crash.

• Upvote 1

I ran the EnableErrorReporting.reg the day of the update.  Today about 2200 ET, I was flying in a Yak on Wings of Liberty.  I was diving on a plane and was zooming in on the view when the screen froze, I continued to receive sound.  I had to ctrl-alt-del and go to Task Mgr.  It showed IL2 as Not Responding and I closed the application.  I ran the ViewCrashDumps.cmd and there was no file listed.

Had a second instance of a freeze with sound, then dump to desktop with no memory error message and no log file.  I was flying in Quick Mission.

Was flying last night with three others on Wings of Liberty and two of them experienced this same event simultaneously.

Had another freeze with sound in Quick Mission.  This time I let the screen stay up.  I heard my plane eventually crash.  I then heard an error message tone.  I was able to shrink IL-2 to view the error message but I was unable to get a printscreen as when I tried to paste it into a program it gave me an out of memory message.  I did however write down the first error message which is below.

IL-2 Sturmovik Windows - Application Error

Instruction at 0x5bba9a61 referenced memory at 0xe958212c.  The memory could not be read.

When I checked the crash dump files there was not one for this crash.

Please also try to find the dumps with this search mask (in Windows explorer): Il-2*.dmp (capital i, regular l, ...)

A possible reason for no dump files being created after a crash is Error Reporting Service set to off. Try to set it to Automatic.

Please also try to find the dumps with this search mask (in Windows explorer): Il-2*.dmp (capital i, regular l, ...)

A possible reason for no dump files being created after a crash is Error Reporting Service set to off. Try to set it to Automatic.

It's already on Auto

Check for the files as you suggest and it showed nothing.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95

+1

Since the last patch I had several freezes and blackscreens which required system restarts. Killing the processes via task manager did not work. No .dmp files where created.

I guess something is not working as inteded with the error detection.

I had crashes while loading a mission and while flying online.

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta

It's already on Auto Check for the files as you suggest and it showed nothing.

Same with me . Had 2 crashes  Sunday, Feb 21 & 3 crashes Tuesday, Feb 23. All were on Wings of Liberty while flying the mission. All crashes were "The memory could not be read" errors. Registry Edit program was ran and confirmed prior to Feb 21. CrashDumps folder in AppData\Local have been empty on every crash. Can'not help resolve these problems until this starts working.

Same with me . Had 2 crashes  Sunday, Feb 21 & 3 crashes Tuesday, Feb 23. All were on Wings of Liberty while flying the mission. All crashes were "The memory could not be read" errors. Registry Edit program was ran and confirmed prior to Feb 21. CrashDumps folder in AppData\Local have been empty on every crash. Can'not help resolve these problems until this starts working.

sorry to hear that, but your system is overclocked and and you have an old set of drivers/ NVIDIA, I have not had any mem crashes once I stopped recording, if you get a crash mem error type usually in the events viewer you can get a report form windows in that area. I have al most the same setup and had no crash for a month now.

Same here no crash dumps so far 

Thanks for that information Mastiff. I haven't updated my profile recently. Actually, I've using the nVidia 361.43 drivers and just updated to 361.91 today. Not sure if overclocking is involved, but you never know with the complexity of our computers. I've overclocked from the early access days of BoS and did not experiencing problems until Update 105 or 106 (cannot remember which one). Others have experience the same problem without overclocked systems but I'll do some additional checking on my computer. The biggest problem is the CrashDump program is not working. All of the above posts report that fact. We cannot assist in providing information to resolve this problem until the developers fix the CrashDump program reporting.

Thanks for that information Mastiff. I haven't updated my profile recently. Actually, I've using the nVidia 361.43 drivers and just updated to 361.91 today. Not sure if overclocking is involved, but you never know with the complexity of our computers. I've overclocked from the early access days of BoS and did not experiencing problems until Update 105 or 106 (cannot remember which one). Others have experience the same problem without overclocked systems but I'll do some additional checking on my computer. The biggest problem is the CrashDump program is not working. All of the above posts report that fact. We cannot assist in providing information to resolve this problem until the developers fix the CrashDump program reporting.

I'm getting a pop up with the error but the game is still open until I click the ok button on the windows error message which kills IL2, maybe that's why we don't get the crash report?

On yesterdays FNBMMultiplayer  event all three Stukas Pilots of our flight experienced a memory error at the same time.

This was my Pop UP message:

Windows - Fehler in Anwendung       Die Anweisung in 0x0144853a verweist auf Speicher 0xba0ae678. Der Vorgang read konnte nicht im Speicher durchgeführt werden. Klicken Sie auf "OK", um das Programm zu beenden

Time of the crash/ disco 22:14 - 22:17.

Apart from that there where several other unwanted disconnects.

I attached the .txt log and the mission. Change transgressor.txt to transgressor.msnbin. Chrashdump not available.

missionReport(2016-02-26_20-16-37)0.txt

transgressor.txt

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta

Noticed that the Error Reporting Service start was set to manual. I changed it to automatic. I hope to get some .dmp for you.

• When you encountered the crash;  pursuing an enemy plane
  • In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario); QMB
  • In what mission;
  • What did you do before the crash; flying level

No dmp file found but windows error reporting provided this info:

Source

Desktop Window Manager

Summary

Stopped working

Date

2/27/2016 08:23

Status

Report sent

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: dwm.exe

Application Version: 10.0.10586.0

Application Timestamp: 5632d756

Fault Module Name: dwmcore.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.10586.71

Fault Module Timestamp: 5699d1c2

Exception Code: c0000602

Exception Offset: 00000000000e02db

OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 6feb

Additional Information 2: 6feb4fd8f62a00f35a7108882272a28c

Additional Information 3: 47da

Additional Information 4: 47da9438063f6c029da3fd641b15415b

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 11f52b173d4d6c92103ccb56e726af53 (120400955335)

Edited by Gramps

Sim froze 2 times yesterday, Saturday, 02/27/2016 on Wings of Liberty server "Storming Stalingrad" mission. Screen froze in flight and the aircraft engine sound continued. Could use "esc" key to exit and could not use "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to close program. After about one minute the sim crashed to desktop. No Windows error message window opened. CrashDump folder is empty. If a track was being recorded, it will show 00:00:00 Start Time and 00:00:00 End Time. Running the track opens a black screen with the message "Game Paused". A squad mate also experience the same type of crash in this mission.

This crash scenario began with Update 1.107b and is occurring frequently in Multiplayer. I haven't had this crash problem in Single Player. Previous to Update 1.107b, the sim would crash to desktop and issue a Window Memory access error window.

+1

Not a spam just a confirmation. 

I can confirm a lot of freeze here during tournement on Italian Wing server but also on WoL. Not file .dump generated in the dedicated folder.

This problem was not present before the last patch, missions from WoL.

The only way to close the game is to Reboot PC or Disconnect the user from Windows.

Not an IL2.exe error reported but only freeze.

The freezes happen at the same time for different players. Nvidia drivers update doesn't help.

W10 for several people.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

This thread has been created to find the cause of the random game crashing with the community help.
Game version 1.107b and later is required for submitting crash dumps.

Dear developers, it is possible that some of the problems are due to the limitations of the file system for the length of the file names - 255 characters max. Version 107 has files with a greater length of 256 characters! For example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\updates\16-01-28\patches\16-01-28_data_graphics_LANDSCAPE_Stalin_w_ROADS_Binary_highways_VB.bin.3990B418F73AFADEA103C9F2ADBC5FB0.68630040.7E625A206FB4D3530FFD55DFFCB50B38.66039840.patch

Edited by unk_expert

Crash on March 10th 2016, see dump attached.

• When you encountered the crash

My plane crashed against the ground, and the game immediately crashed.

In the Belroga duel MP server

Hit the ground

​Dogfight

Il-2.exe.10948.zip

Crash on exit every time. 

Sometimes crashes in MP when server is full or high numbers and I approach a big fight

2016-03-11 21:14

MP

• In what mission;

72AG-DED random server

Flying around, being scared by all these contacts that all turned out to be fellow Germans

I was trying to catch up with another FW190

I had played on the DED normals server for about 10min, got shot down 3 times. Then the map rotated. I left the server, and then connected to the 72AG-DED random server. I picked a FW190 with4x50kg bombs. Took off, flew at low altitude looking for targets. I dropped my bombs when I saw a plane on my six, destroyed nothing, then kept flying around trying to form up with random teammates.

Il-2.exe.8080.dmp.zip

Crash on Wings of Liberty:

Mission Card #: mamaekrygan-wl-107-05

Mission Name: Mamayev Kurgan (Height 102)

Record Date: 2016-03-12 17:42:31 (zero time recorded, track played black screen)

I was flying Yak-1 around airfield waiting for squad mate to take off. I cannot remember anything specific that I was doing prior to the crash other than communicating with my squad mate on TeamSpeak. Game crashed and Windows Error Message displayed "IL-2 Sturmovik has stopped working". Flew several missions afterwards on Wings of Liberty mamaekrygan-wl-107-05 and velikieluki-wl-107-06 for about 3 hours with no additional crashes.

Attached Files:

Il-2.exe.8140.dmp.zip

Edited by OCA_LoneStar

Crash on EU 72AG-DED- Random Expert -BetaVersion-
Mission Name: MissionGEN generic
Record Date: 2016-03-13 18:17

was flying with BF110 and land at "Ventsy" Airfield. After rolling on runway App crashed....

Kind Regards

Rote

Il-2.exe.6520.zip

2016-03-11 21:14

MP

• In what mission;

72AG-DED random server

Flying around, being scared by all these contacts that all turned out to be fellow Germans

I was trying to catch up with another FW190

I had played on the DED normals server for about 10min, got shot down 3 times. Then the map rotated. I left the server, and then connected to the 72AG-DED random server. I picked a FW190 with4x50kg bombs. Took off, flew at low altitude looking for targets. I dropped my bombs when I saw a plane on my six, destroyed nothing, then kept flying around trying to form up with random teammates.

I forgot to attach the mission, so here it comes:

Dogfight.zip

When you encountered the crash; 2016-03-13

In what game mode (MP/QMB/campaign/scenario); MP

In what mission; 72AG-DED random server

What did you do before the crash;

Flying Yak-1 (custom skin) without seeing anybody

Attached .dmp and windows error log

Il-2.exe.7432.dmp.zip

Experience a game crash while running a track file...

Track was recorded on Wings of Liberty server.

Mission Name: warfield_wl_107_15

Track Date: 2016.03.13 17:42:31

Track Duration: 00:35:06

I was flying a Yak-1 but viewing external Bf109F-4 above my aircraft. Track crashed around 00:21:45. The game crashed and the Windows error message "IL-2 Sturmovik has stopped working". I ran the track file a second time and it did not crash. I can provide track file if needed. CrashDump file is attached.

Il-2.exe.6800.dmp.zip

2016-03-14 21:33 GMT+1

Flying an F4 with 4x50 bombs, MP.

We were 3 people on the server, 2 Germans and 1 Russian. The two Germans crashed at the exact same time.

Il-2.exe.10420.zip Crash dump

aieverywhere.zip Mission, to be put in Multiplayer\coconut\aieverywhere

Edited by coconut

Had two crashes on the Wings of Liberty server and same mission/map within 20 minutes.

First crash on Wings of Liberty

Mission Card #: storm-wl-107-07

Mission Name: Storming of Stalingard

Date: 2016-03-15

Spawn In: 21:11:35

I flew for 9 minutes then game crashed. Was flying level and had just entered chat message "thx for the 666". Game crashed with screen froze and the Windows error message "IL-2 Strumovik has stopped working"

Second crash information will follow in another post.

Il-2.exe.3584.dmp.zip

Crash 2 of 2 on the Wings of Liberty server and same mission/map within 20 minutes

Second crash on Wings of Liberty

Mission Card #: storm-wl-107-07

Mission Name: Storming of Stalingard

Date: 2016-03-15

Spawn In: 21:27:56

I was attacked by Agni in a FW190 at 21:42:56 and received minor damage. I rolled over to engage Agni and my screen froze with the Windows errro message "IL-2 Strumovik has stopped working"

Il-2.exe.3448.dmp.zip

In WoL server

Multiplayer

• In what mission;

WoL south-wl-107-06 mission

Was selecting the JU-87 in the main MP mission screen before flight

First session in the mission, so nothing had really happened (for me)

I had selected the Bf-110 first in the selection screen, then changed my mind and selected the JU-87 and when I went to plane setup crashed.

I got the small white error message "Object not loaded".

Il-2.exe.5376.dmp.zip

Edited by 6./ZG1_HarryM

Had a freeze with sound in MP server Wings of Italy, I had to terminate the application from the task manager.

I ran the ViewCrashDumps.cmd and there was no new file listed.

I was taking off and there wasn't relevant action near the base