LukeFF

Restored Zero flies again

A really nice airplane - would love to see one in one of our modern sims.

I´m hoping for Leatherneck to bring a Zero after the Corsair.

I really dont want new game from 777 to be pacific scenario, but this is the only plane for which I would consider to buy it .

I really dont want new game from 777 to be pacific scenario, but this is the only plane for which I would consider to buy it .

I'm the complete opposite, I'd love to have pacific over everything else and I believe a game from 777 would be the only one that could raise my interest for the Zero (I'm more of a torpedo bomber / late war PTO fighter fan).

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

I'm the complete opposite, I'd love to have pacific over everything else and I believe a game from 777 would be the only one that could raise my interest for the Zero (I'm more of a torpedo bomber / late war PTO fighter fan).

I actually still hope one day there will be a developer able to make a proper model of B5N with radar (with BoS/BoM system of unlocks its all more and more possible), all 3 seats available ... so you can carry on a night attack with two buddies helping you navigating and controlling the machine. Multicrew machines have so much potential ... 

Alone for the Zero I´d buy a pacific scenario in an instant :D

I have a Zero in X-Plane but the FM doesn´t feel too good and TrackIR sucks pretty bad in this sim.

Alone for the Zero I´d buy a pacific scenario in an instant :D

I have a Zero in X-Plane but the FM doesn´t feel too good and TrackIR sucks pretty bad in this sim.

Me, too, on both of the above.  The free Zero available for X-Plane is gorgeous, but also quite demanding on computer resources. 

@Yamaneko - thanks for interesting Japanese stuff.

Clearly this sim series needs a new far eastern theatre if only to provide IL2 movie makers with new exotic material!

@Yamaneko - thanks for interesting Japanese stuff.

Clearly this sim series needs a new far eastern theatre if only to provide IL2 movie makers with new exotic material!

Far East, East, West, Med, Africa, I'll take it all :biggrin:

It's a good movie, not a Hollywood style action movie, its more focused on a story and background rather than combat. And combat scenes could be handled better in my opinion. But the aircraft themselves, scenery and detail of the cockpits are top notch and give a feeling of being inside, something I missed in a couple of other movies made in last 10 years. 

Afaik, I just happen to be finding more videos :)

And another movie, this time from 1944 so contains original footage and sounds of A6M and others. Unfortunately I could not find any subtitles, I guess its just a very rare finding.

Title is  雷撃隊出動 ( Raigeki-tai Syutsudoo - Torpedo Squadron ). A brief description I managed to find indicates that movie presents the story of a late war combat with Allies, story focuses on torpedo bombers and a bit on fighters. Featured aircraft : B6N Tenzan, B5N, G4M Hamaki, A6M2 and A6M5 and briefly H6K flying boat. It features footage of Zuikaku and Hosho. Interesting is that by the time movie was released, Zuikaku was sunk in battle of Cape Engaño. 

4:40 - you can see B5N

13:20 - H6K flying boat

15:50 - B6N practicing torpedo runs

27:40 - Zeros scramble, can hear actual sound of Sakae engine, quite unique if compared to Wright Cyclone or P&W R-1830.  

52 - Another Zeros scramble

1h:02 - A massive formation flying, bombers and fighters ... and more scrambling for a great aerial combat. A captured P-40 was used there as well as models of P-38 and Liberator. 

1h:17 - B6N take-off from Zuikaku 

1h:20 - Massive battle, B6N attack US aircraft carrier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr739X_KLUI&feature=youtu.be 

I was very impressed by the movie, the quality of the footage and sounds is very high if compared to other materials from that time. Also it was really nice to see actual aircraft and ships in action, not only models :)  

• Upvote 2

So in case of restoration process, there is another Zero going through this. Legend Flyers, who are a small group of really enthusiastic people known for their extraordinary efforts to resurrect the mighty Messerschmitt Me-262, but now with those projects all out the door (the last of the five examples left for a group in Germany not that long ago, complete with the jigs and drawings) the small team led by Bob Hammer is focusing their efforts on the resurrection of a Mitsubishi A6M3 now.

PHOTO-8.jpg

Couple of the videos :

There are a lot more on their youtube channel. They also have facebook which is often updated with more photos : https://www.facebook.com/Legend-Flyers-255443124472131/

And another interview, this time with Tomokazu Kasai. Honestly I'm not sure who was more excited, him or interviewer  :lol:  But certainly makes me want to fly N1K2-J one day in this sim !

One was lately restored, and now the other one needs restoration ...

http://allthingsaero.com/airshows/gallery-original-japanese-zero-loses-tail

10421374_10209005340999972_9048832914122

Flying Legends A6M2 was unfortunate to stand in front of FG-1D while taxing, details are so far unknown ( most likely pilots mistake )  but both FG-1D and Zero will require repairs. In case of first one it is really bad timing as not long ago it received a new P&W R-2800. And the latter one will require a complete replacement of the tail section... 

Considering all the problems this year with some Mustangs, P-40 and now with Zero and Corsair it makes me wonder if those guys driving them are not too reckless  :(

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi

The Eternal Zero" (永遠の0 | Eien no Zero), big screen cinema version 2013

what a moovie.......wonderful........... :o: 

High recommended !!!

A translated first part of the documentary presenting the history of the creation of A6M. It goes deeply into the history of Japanese aviation and with great detail explains the changes in the industry and developments. It's long indeed, but worthy every minute. Plus you may see original footage from Kanichi Kashimura flight in his A5M without 2/3rds of the wing. 

• Upvote 2

It's an advertisement of a material featuring history and details of Planes of Fame A6M5, but still its worth watching to see the details of the machine, cockpit and other stuff :)

These are gorgeous birds. My favourite Models are the 52 and the 53c. I think they appear to look very simular to the Gloster F.5/34. 

So here is an interesting bit of a statistic for a period of February 1943 to February 1944 for Solomon Islands, New Guinea and Rabaul area indicating combat losses and victories of Zero fighters against Allied opponents :

dG7hkA.png

This was complied by user Ermanno and posted on j-aircraft boards few days ago, primary source is "IJN Zero battle Diary: Victories and Losses for Zero over Solomon" Volumes 1 to 3, by Irushi Yememoto:

AXeXNo.jpg

Cirgk5.jpg

PZrQyk.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'll be watching a Zeke fly next weekend, along with a Hellcat, Oscar, Wildcat, B-25...

http://www.flyingheritage.com/Visit/Events/Pacific-Theater-Day.aspx

Last year there were several Oscars and Zekes, 2 Hellcats.

I'm not sure if they're all of the same aircraft (not belonging to the hosting museum) are flying in this year or not...hope so.