Polikarpov I-16 3D model questionable.

I just went for a spin on the I-16 tonight and something again got my attention. IL2 is doing the same mistake as RoF 3D models.

Placement of pilot/eye position in cockpit is incorrect

-3D interior model ratio is not correct.

Take for example the Gun sight, screws are not at correct position, and it's a bit too long.. too high ala Nieuport of RoF. The head of the pilot should be able to see half outside and half inside and able to look at his gauges which is not the case as we have now.

As simple as looking at the pictures below. and now check the view of yours in game. It doesn 't need much to be great again. 

shorten the gun sight height, correct screws and pilot's head will be lower... and the glass is also mediocre.

The picture of the i-16 in-game is where my quick setup view at first glance is and where it should be approx be as default, the gun sight must be lowered a bit.. ( not hard to do on 3D ) and maybe the interior canopy as well

There are others but for now my 2c..

If there is a mistake under the fuselage of some kind of error that we do not see well it's not a big deal but something we stare each time for a long period of time better to do it right...  

In RL flying ww2 aircraft your eyes are glued to the gauges ;)

post-381-0-27957900-1451640251_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-85280500-1451640275_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-23600700-1451640290_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-76577000-1451640290_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-57468200-1451640392_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOZR
  • Upvote 1

did you know that you can play with the view position while not using Trackir and the save when you think is

in the right position?

Some PoV in game are in a position that a player without Trackir can use the sights without using aditional 

controls

The Gun sigh in RL take a great portion of the front forward view this is why many are taking or not installing it today. The real one is fater and shorter and the glass screen as well. It is a very good suggestion about all the views are made for hat switches pilots.. in RL the pilot basically lean forward and up to see through the sight. it is always a bit higher and easy adjustment..

it is easy to adjust position thank you for the F10 key but the problem is that the 3D correspond to a game for switches hat users. The best way is to do a correct 3D model and then adjust the sights that will please both world.. same with Rise Of Flight.

Edited by GOZR

Two samples of the set..  those two are pretty much not placed posed for a picture but more on the fly.. meaning parachute set and seat set like in the la-5 picture.. I-16 getting the actual Gun sight adjustment.. pilot position..

I could fix all.. but some minor 3D should be adjusted for a complete good experience.

post-381-0-32089800-1451680767_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-95266100-1451680935_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOZR

The Gun sigh in RL take a great portion of the front forward view this is why many are taking or not installing it today. The real one is fater and shorter and the glass screen as well. It is a very good suggestion about all the views are made for hat switches pilots.. in RL the pilot basically lean forward and up to see through the sight. it is always a bit higher and easy adjustment..

it is easy to adjust position thank you for the F10 key but the problem is that the 3D correspond to a game for switches hat users. The best way is to do a correct 3D model and then adjust the sights that will please both world.. same with Rise Of Flight.

enter the game without trackir, and the play with the insert, home, pag keys to move the view to the desired position 

then save it and when you use track ir you will have to lean and stuff to aim or look over it, i did that for all my planes, 

matched the PoV with the pilot model position, and improves the view in all the planes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks ridiculous - the view is superb in the sim, but was bad IRL. The nose of I16 is straight, the radial engine huge. And it does NOT have any thick and steeply sloped armor glass that would help the vision.

Still, in this sim it's made up to show better visibility than Fw190 (190 nose slopes downwards), where it should be much worse....same happened with La-5FN back in IL-2 Sturmovik....

Edited by I/JG27_Nemesis
  • 2 weeks later...

I've sat in a I-16 type 10 replica, and from what I've seen in screens and videos (I don't own BoM yet) I-16 sight isn't bad at all (indeed great compared to old Il-2 cockpit modelling and sight). IMO the main problem with BoS sight in all aircraft, and I-16 isn't different, is the fixed point of view camera available. BoS PoV doesn't try to resemble human sight like your eyes in front of your head so when you rotate your view you're still at the very same fixed point. That's a killer in I-16 sight where you can barely see the headrest when you rotate your head as I could experience myself sitting there. That headrest is something like 10, may be 15cm at most indeed but simulator PoV makes it looks like it's a huge chunk. Of course that also makes a difference when you try to see instrument panel, but real I-16 panel isn't easy to look at also, just it's a great difference being there closed up to it.

About the old I-16 pilots motto, "you couldn't see a thing there", well I have to say being used to simulators I-16 sight was great when I could see by myself and that really surprised me. But still I can understand what they mean, wings covers it all, and nose is huge even though you can easily look the sides (to taxi for instance). That's what they meant when they said sight was bad compared to other planes. But I-16 isn't far from the real I-16 cockpit view at all, just a better PoV trying to resemble human sight and head movement would enhance experience (with every aircraft but specially in) I-16 really a lot.

S!

• 3 months later...

This is my first post, so hello to all.

About 2 years ago I stopped play IL21946 and I miss it. Other things took me away from my games and my PC got so full of malware it nearly seized up completely.

I loved the early jets like the He162 and Me262, but my favourite prop jobs were I-16 Type 24 and P40C.

Ill be getting my gaming PC serviced soon and will rejoin the fray, and want to fly the I-16 again, as it was my favourite for attacking He111s and stukas and the occasional Me110. Sensibly I avoided the Me109s, but would set up battles with Fiat G50s or CR42s which were always desperately fought. The Italian AI aircraft always seemed much more difficult to shoot down. 

My question, which I have asked on more than one forum, is: 

Q. What are those numbers along the cockpit coaming on the I-16?

Obviously it is in degrees, but to what purpose? I also understand that above it was some sort of tube, made of glass or plastic which had fluid and an indicator ball in it. What insrument function did that serve?

RSVP

post-108121-0-86161900-1470158787_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reggie_Mental

The markings are indicators of landing gear extension/retraction

As you lower or raise the landing gear in game you will see two indicators indicators visible in the cutouts moving in the channel to the centre or to positions at extreme left and right

See I-16 cockpit guide by Luke FF here

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/17219-i-16-cockpit-guide/

Cheers Dakpilot

I see that's what Luke's guide picture says, but what would possibly be the value of having all those intermediate degree markings on a landing gear indicator mechanism?  I can see why you would want/need to know whether your gear were up or down (or even somewhere in between), but what good would it do you to know that they were (say) at 75 degrees instead of 70 degrees or whatever?

Are the degree markings themselves perhaps serving some other purpose? (and if so , what would that be - crude bank indicators or navigational map reading aids or bogey spotting/reporting aids ? :) )

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Purely a guess, but seeing as the gear is raised using a hand crank, it would give visual indication of how many 'turns' are needed to complete the operation

It does seem very elaborate  :)

Cheers dakpilot

• 2 weeks later...