Sign in to follow this  
Jaws2002

Natural light. atmosphere rendering

Hello. Since we'll always talk about features in Clod, There's one thing that blew me away about Cliffs of Dover. When it was released, the game had the most accurate, natural lighting i've ever seen in a game. ROF has very advanced lighting engine and most likely it could match that natural beauty of sunsets and general light scatering Cliffs of Dover had.

I just found out today, that Oleg used in part some third party shaders that gave the game that beautiful natural lighting.

If possible please have a look at this and try to implement some of this into BOS. It would create a very natural and enjoyable world.

Thank you.

Here's a link to Eric Bruneton's site, where you can find the tools he creatd to render the light naturally.

http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Eric.Bruneton/

a video and some screenshots:

http://www-ljk.imag.fr/Publications/Basilic/com.lmc.publi.PUBLI_Article@11e7cdda2f7_f64b69/video.avi

2xoZm.jpg

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

Basically agree, but if it's very CPU intensive to get that kind of lighting quality, I hope there will be faster alternatives if player chooses lower quality settings.

That mountain pic looks awesome.

I know they're an absolute resource killing, but I would love to see 'light shafts' (god rays)! Especially when flying around clouds during sunset, that would be incredible.

I know they're an absolute resource killing, but I would love to see 'light shafts' (god rays)! Especially when flying around clouds during sunset, that would be incredible.

How do you know that? I used to get comparable performance before they reduced the effects. In the last patch some parts of this returned.

I hope they can get this in the next game.  I think is worth trying. It's free. I'd love this in ROF as well. Just imagine that beautifull Noop28 against such a sunset.  :wub:

This is one of the aspects of CLOD that just blew me away.

Screenshot134464.jpg

NqoRs.jpg

shot_20120108_032247.jpgCAHdT.jpg

Edited by Jaws2002

How do you know that? I used to get comparable performance before they reduced the effects. In the last patch some parts of this returned. I wish they can get this in the next game. It's free.

Oh, not sure about CloD as I've never spent much time with it. But I do know from different games that had the effect, shooters mainly (Stalker being one).

Does CloD have it? Any videos where we can see it? I'm quite curious now!

Oh, not sure about CloD as I've never spent much time with it. But I do know from different games that had the effect, shooters mainly (Stalker being one).

This is probabilly the best video I found that shows how natural it looked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrZbLqKaCQ

:(

Edited by Jaws2002

Its actually a form of pre-computed atmospheric back scattering. The games that I know use this are; CLOD, Space Engine and Outerra. There are a couple of others that I think use it, like Kerbal Space Program and XP10.

But that is it. I'm sure Stalker isn't using it because the code we are talking about here didn't exist when that game came out. Maybe COP did. And maybe the developers used something similar. But there are many games that I know of that have actually used it - and I don't know of any FPS that has it.

EDIT: Whoops. Just realized that XP10 is using a different version of the same technique. You can read about the nitty gritty of it here

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter16.html

Edited by LizLemon

I was talking about the sun shafts, though. Not sure if it is part of that technology also (I'm not very technical, don't understand most of it), but it was mentioned in one of the first links. I know turning it on in Stalker was quite a big FPS hit, but it looked beautiful. I would love this effect in the cockpit, and also flying around clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TGt5aa6v8E

a>

Edited by hq_Jorri

Something related I hadn't really thought of til I saw your topic.

There is a pretty sophisticated weather model and particle model in ROF -

I think it would be good to see if they could pull off some more 'atmosphere' effects around stalingrad - I remember setting missions there in Il-2 and basically any decent amount of particle emitters would bring the game to it's knees, but ROF seems to have a much better system for dealing with a lot of particles, and interactions with them from objects.  With the new engine I would love to see some kind of 'smog' simulator where persistent emitters for different types of smoke could be set up and gradually get pushed around by the weather model.

Edited by wiseblood
  • Upvote 1

That is something I have always wanted, smoke being affected by vortexs coming off my wing in real time!

Is that in ROF or did it take too much resources?

• Upvote 1

I've seen that last video years ago, before the game was even released. That stuf is in game from the start.

Not sure all of that actually made it in.

Hoops. I guess i was wrong. I remember seeing that last movie long before the release. I thought it made it in. Sorry.

I think some of it is in there - you get basic stuff like, say, fuel/coolant leaks picking up momentum from the plane (rather than some canned effect) and they look similar to the particle physics system video above. There's also this one I caught in a gif once -

Lw1zm.gif

Check the plane wing clipping through the tracer smoke trail.

Edited by wiseblood

Not sure what made it in and what didn't...maybe everything....some say there is wake behind other aircraft in single player but not in multiplayer.

Here's an example of propwash lifting a control surface in RoF. These are the same physics that keep the plane in the air when flying. Please excuse the phallic nature of the following video:

Edit: Here is Petrovich' comment on the video with the spheres:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23077&p=307448&hilit=+video#p307448

Edited by hq_Jorri
  • Upvote 1

As I understand and expeiance it - its there in SP and in MP it is not there.

In SP dogfights you sometimes experiance it when you are on the tail of the enemy and cross his wake - wings drop, you dont have full lift...

In MP however you dont get the same effects.

I am guess that it would demand too much information to be sent over the net to make this viable.

However all the things generated by ones own plane are there - especially propwash. That makes for some really cool things once can do with the planes - in the air and on the ground.

Basically agree, but if it's very CPU intensive to get that kind of lighting quality, I hope there will be faster alternatives if player chooses lower quality settings.

That mountain pic looks awesome.

Shaders are on the GPU

Not sure what made it in and what didn't...maybe everything....some say there is wake behind other aircraft in single player but not in multiplayer.

Here's an example of propwash lifting a control surface in RoF. These are the same physics that keep the plane in the air when flying. Please excuse the phallic nature of the following video:

Edit: Here is Petrovich' comment on the video with the spheres:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23077&p=307448&hilit=+video#p307448

Great demonstration of the physical model

Thanks for sharing!

Clod lighting is great during sun up / down but mid day its mediocre without the various injectors.

The ealy version was just perfect. It's pretty messed up now. The problems is that mid day, clear sky, is always going to be a bit too bright. What the game needed was cirus clouds to reduce the ammount of light hitting the landscape.

• Upvote 1

In ROF the light is also too "cold" and blue/white, just as in IL-2. Clod lightning is far more yellowish and "warmer". Can this problem even be solved with only DX9 effects?

btw i think the effects during sunrise/sunset are even worse than IL-2...

Well Tertra that is why I find the lights in ROF alot more realistic compared to the light in CLOD. In CLOD it was far too yellowish... Only time the colours in CLOD were really nice was during sunrise and sunsets.
In ROF the colours are always perfect! And I see it in real life every day since I work as an airline pilot... ;)

Edited by Kling