KiwiWithAHat

Saitek X52 pro setup?

Hello, I am new to the world of flight simulation. My Saitek X-52 Pro just arrived today, and my trackir should be on its way soon. I have a few questions.

#1. I'd like to set up my joystick as realistically but easily as possible, like having flaps positions where they would be irl and stuff.

#2. I've seen some in depth cockpit guides, can you actually look around and toggle things by clicking your mouse on them and such?

#3. Does anybody have a joystick setup, or at least a guide? Thanks.

I have experience in war thunder, lots, but zero joystick experience. I'm a bit overwhelmed with this all, thanks.

Use the SST Programming software that comes with your stick. I pretty much have everything I need mapped to my x52 pro buttons. Then when you hold the pinky trigger down you basically double your amount of buttons to use for stuff.

I did have to reassign some of the stock keyboard controls to simpler key combinations so the software would pick up the key combo in IL2 BoS. For example I changed auto level to the A key instead of ALT + A or whatever it is by default, stuff like that. I'll post more info when I have time.

I don't know if my setup is historical but I try to keep a similar setup for gear, flaps, guns, for all my flight sims. That helps me remember.

Helo Kiwi.   :bye:

Chuck's guides, all about all planes - the "vir'pilov" Bible.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZROuEd3WV9zRFRwMDJVWGc/view

Game official manual: 

http://www.rofmods.com/User_Manuals/IL2_BOS_Manual_English_1011_rev1.zip

BTW - On page 34 how... shoot flares.  :biggrin:

#1. I'd like to set up my joystick as realistically but easily as possible, like having flaps positions where they would be irl and stuff.

Bear in mind that in different planes, flaps is controlled in different ways, positions, some use a wheel, other lever, other electrical push buttons as you see in the above guide/manuals. 

So the "realistic" way need a compromise, the practical is use  switches on your throttle, accessible be your thumb and index finger to control

Prop pitch*

Radiator*

Mixture*

Flaps

*Required only in EXPERT mode.

You joystick is for control - beside the obvious flight:

Your primary (MG and Cannons) and secondary weapons (rockets, bombs) is good measure set a "safety switch" for the latter, like a modifier key/button.

E.g. Joy trigger 1st stage = fire machine gun, joy  trigger 1st stage + pinky button = fire rockets.

Joy trigger 2nd stage = fire cannon

The button with cover fire bombs.

Things like start engines, landing gear is secondary functions (1/2 use per flight), set in less accessible buttons on throttle, or leave in keyboard.

If you dont have "headtrack" (TrackIR, Freetrack, EDTracker...) the joy' HAT is need control you "SA", the camera POV - dont forget the lean right/left up/down functions.

This lean can be assigned on HAT + pinky or in the second HAT.

And this secont HAT + pinky button trim elevator/stabilizer, rudder, + key modifier (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, Win) the aileron trim (as few planes have this trim.

#2. I've seen some in depth cockpit guides, can you actually look around and toggle things by clicking your mouse on them and such?

The guides/manual cover well the cockpits functions, you can't control things be click with mouse, only with keys or joy buttons, and can control only basic things: engine sub-functions (in EXPERT), radiators, trim, flaps, gear, airbrake*, bombay door, bombs/rockets salvo/delay.

In true the bombsight breaking this rule: is need use mouse clicks in his interface.

There's no a definitive guide about this, as preferences vary, e.g game style: NORMAL/EXPERT, SP/MP, as well the preferred planes - (the preferred be 7 of 10 virtual pilot Bf 109 of Fw 190 have most of their controls automated. 

* Tip for Airbrakes, set the same key for open/close the airbrakes for "Attack Siren" (Stuka). Make start bombing  dives easy and is useful as reminder to raise the airbrakes. ;)

Edited by Sokol1

Alright, I've been looking into using the SST profiler. I'm just not quite sure how it works.

So pretty much, what I would do is reset my controls in this game back to default, and remember what they keyboard combination/binding was, and bind that to the joystick in the profiler? Or is there a more simple way to program the joystick by using the SST software, and telling what each control I bind does in game if that makes sense?

Thank you.

I use the Saitek X52 myself (great stick) though not the Pro. Still, they're similar, so I'll include how I set mine up to match the cockpit of the 109:

1UCaEs4.jpg

It's not amazing, but it matches okay. I don't have any other peripherals available at present, so room for radiator control etc. is at a premium, but using Track IR will free up a good number of buttons. Brackets are controls I have for soviet planes, when I fly them. Keeping the stick in the middle of the desk and the throttle to your left helps with the flying position somewhat :wink:

I also can't use the programming software (my drivers threw a fit) so the pinky switch, mode slider and MFD don't work properly, which is why I've set their buttons up with other controls.

Edited by Libelnon
  • Upvote 2

I don't know how to enable the 2nd stage, or enable the different modes without using the profiler. And the profiler confuses me. Is there any way to directly tell the profiler to do a certain function in game instead of having to get the keyboard controls through the game and tell it to do those controls? Thanks.

What I do is open the SST profiler software and the game at the same time, then alt tab between the two and setup the controls one by one. It can take a while but when you have everything where you want it, it's worth it. If you save and click the profile crosshairs button in SST it should transfer right over to the game right away so you can test it as you go.

It can take a little to get used to, years of trial and error for me.

I don't know how to enable the 2nd stage, or enable the different modes without using the profiler. And the profiler confuses me. Is there any way to directly tell the profiler to do a certain function in game instead of having to get the keyboard controls through the game and tell it to do those controls? Thanks.

MODES is profile dependent - the mode switch is not see be Windows/Game as button (DX input).

Mode is goo to increase the buttons count but add complication in the "heat of battle"...

The "profiler" function is: Make joystick buttons press keys in game (what per si sounds "fool"). :)  

Have advantages: increase number of functions per buttons, allow different profiles for different aircraft.

Disadvantages: more one program running in background, sometimes cause BSOD (notorious in Saitek), or aleatory commands, add complication - reminder what mode is need for something...

To start, making things K.I.S.S. can assign the joy buttons direct in game GUI, for each function (e.g. drop bombs) without use the 'Profiler" and his "Modes".

Is possible assign the trigger second stage direct in game GUI - what is easy in games like DCS/CloD:

Select the function for first stage, press the trigger first stage and HOLD, click in OK box. Don't release the trigger.

Select the function for second stage and now press the trigger (HOLD in first stage) until the second stage, click OK.

But in BoS have issue - I guess the game only recognize the button/key press on his release.

Try the above, if dont work assign the first stage, save and leave the game.

Go in game folder and edit the file "current.actions":

machineguns_fire,                                 joy0_b0,                                          0| // Fire weapon group 1
cannons_fire,                                            ,                                          0| // Fire weapon group 2

Change this for:

machineguns_fire,                                 joy0_b0,                                          0| // Fire weapon group 1
cannons_fire,                                     joy0_b1,                                          0| // Fire weapon group 2

The joy# can be different - is joystick brand, number of controllers plugged, Windows version dependent.

Games enumerates joy buttons # from 0 instead from 1 like Windows do.

Edited by Sokol1

I use the Saitek X52 myself (great stick) though not the Pro. Still, they're similar, so I'll include how I set mine up to match the cockpit of the 109:

Curiosity - maybe a typo: The joy pinky lever seems mapped for "Right Wheel Brake" should not for "Wheel brakes" (both)?  :)

Even in Luftwaffe planes and P-40, by press the wheel brakes button/key and moving (twist) rudder for right or left brake only this side wheel, in the same way that work for Russian planes. So is not need a different setup for one plane type or another. A convenient concession for "twist rudder" joystick people.  :good:

Edited by Sokol1

Curiosity - maybe a typo: The joy pinky lever seems mapped for "Right Wheel Brake" should not for "Wheel brakes" (both)?  :)

Even in Luftwaffe planes and P-40, by press the wheel brakes button/key and moving (twist) rudder for right or left brake only this side wheel, in the same way that work for Russian planes. So is not need a different setup for one plane type or another. A convenient concession for "twist rudder" joystick people.  :good:

Huh, never realised. Still, I'm used to having them split for use on the BF109, and particularly for turning in the He-111 while taxiing.

I do have the C button on the stick assigned to brakes though. Mainly as Soviet planes have the brake lever on the stick.

Huh, never realised. Still, I'm used to having them split for use on the BF109, and particularly for turning in the He-111 while taxiing.

But the point is, pressing the button/key for "wheel brakes" and moving the rudder left or right (what active the "differential brakes") your turn the He 111 90 degrees like one that have "toe brakes" in his rudder pedal - a less complicated way.  :)

For the game don't make difference if the plane is Russian or German, they will brake in same way.

But as convenience for people with Rudder Pedal with "Toe Brakes" (individual brakes for right and left wheel) are provide commands for match this brakes with Luftwaffe/P-40 planes, but this planes can be braked with "Russian system" too.

Different from other games, the "complication" was left for people with Rudder Pedal (probable minority) - the need assign two brakes systems/improvise... - and not for people with "twist rudder" (probable majority), these can use only one system for all planes (instead improvise with keys as in other games, if don't have Rudder Pedals).  :)

Edited by Sokol1

Wow, doing a topic revival as I decided to upgrade my X45 with the X52 Pro (reasonable price, hall sensors but in a familiar package).

Just started to delv into setting the stick up but was scratching my head at some of the functions and buttons.  This helps considerably.  I used to have pinky switch mapped to wheel brakes on the X45 but I didn't realise it was a shift button.  Will try mapping it and twist to left/right wheel brakes and another button to both.

Not sure how stable the mode programing software is for the stick, was thinking it would be good to have a Air Mode and a Ground Attack Mode but that is probably only useful having a second mode for when you are level bombing.  Still have to work out best use of axis and rotaries but I am enjoying the accuracy of the stick over its predecessor.  Ground gunnery is much more accurate in my tests with this stick.  Nice also that one can turn down the lights on the stick as well so it doesn't look like a Christmas Tree.