Con

The ground physics agree or disagree

Also, no inane ground looping (though I did not taxi the aircraft), I asked the owner how hard it was to ground loop it during taxi, so he demonstrated it.  It took very deliberate and drastic control inputs to initiate a ground loop, nothing like the nonsense we have in the game now.

Let me preface my remarks by saying, like you and other RL pilots, I find the in game ground physics excessively challenging especially trying to perform wheel landings and avoiding ground loops.

I don't fly a Stearman, (I have a tail wheel endorsement in my logbook, and I'm current) but I think you misrepresent the difficulty getting it to ground loop. There is a great Tailwheel instructional video by Damian DelGaizo, Tailwheel 101. He demonstrates the ease of ground looping a Stearman at slow speed, nothing "drastic" or "deliberate" beyond letting the tailwheel exceed the track of the main wheels (think in terms of the rails on a railroad). Since the CG is aft of the main wheels, once it gets outside of the main wheel track, prompt use of 1) rudder 2) brakes 3) power and finally 4) aileron in that order might be needed to overcome the inertia of the CG continuing its straight line path. 

I guess the point I'm making is when highly experienced pilots like your Stearman guy makes it look drastic and deliberate, it's more likely their way of demonstrating pilot inattention. I once ground looped a 50,000 pound Phantom at 20 knots whilst trying to exit a slick runway during a NATO winter exercise in Germany. There was an excessive use of F-bomb laced expletives by my WSO and me...I used lots of power to keep from sliding into the overrun. 

EDIT: BTW, very cool "hero shot" in front of the Stearman!

Edited by busdriver

The trouble is, as in most sims, there are things that need adjusting, or are just plain wrong...

The other problem, is that many have found a way to cope with the faults, and then berate others who dare to stand up and highlight a perceived problem. That solves nothing... most people eventually find some sort of knack for coping with a problem in any game. That doesn't mean it's correct, only that they have 'found a way'...

The sad thing is, we are all enthusiasts that just want the best out of the game.

SHACK.

Thanks, I have been doing that with success on the LAGG-3...but haven't mastered the La-5. I kept it straight with more power, but went off the end of the runway.

The feedback I would offer to the devs is that perhaps they might actually achieve a more accurate simulation of "what it was like to fly these aircraft" by dialing back the ground looping tendency...even if it was currently 100% accurate from a physics standpoint, we are sitting in front of small, flat screens with (at best) plastic rudder pedals with no 'feel', and with no 'seat of the pants' telling us what the plane wants to do before you can even see it.

I've taxied nosewheel aircraft many times and even that was much easier IRL than on my computer. With these tail draggers on the computer I just seem unable to perceive what is happening until it is too late.

That's exactly the problem. That's why no pilot leaves the power up on landing rollout. See the comments from above.

Re: ground-looping: I think you guys are going to see some substantial changes with this in the next update. ;)

• Upvote 1

Are we getting skids as replacement for slippery wheels? :biggrin:

Sounds like some possible unannounced changes are coming with 1.107 along with this so that will take some time to test what's fixed/new.

Re: ground-looping: I think you guys are going to see some substantial changes with this in the next update. ;)

Don't tease

Well thats good. Only took them two years.

During which they gave us 19 ( almost 20 ) aircraft and a few maps to use, with Winter, Summer and Autumn weather scenarios, and many fixes and additions to flight dynamics, systems, weapon and damage models....

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 3

Really? That's all you can say? 

:rolleyes:

I can say plenty. Thats the problem.

Lets see.

Still have invisible planes.

Wobbly pitch rudder

No trim on axis

Random crashes

Low resolution bubble

Simplied graphics options

No mp lobby

This is two and half years. I love flying the game but lets not pretend things could, should be much more stable. It takes two years for the horrible ground looping to be addressed. Let's all slow clap here.

Edited by 12.OIAE_Snake9

Snake, there's that line about how if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all. Keep that in mind for next time.

You'll see how bumpy it was.

Yup. Much more subdued that in-game. I'm sure the pilot felt bumped around, but you can see the main wheels are not leaving the ground, and the tail wheel isn't either. It's just, bumpy. Quick little bounces. Nothing dramatic like in-game.

I think at this point with all the video evidence the devs have more than enough to justify making the proper changes.