Photo

[Release] IL-2 Tactical Map - Android App

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 15 November 2015 - 18:15

Hello everyone.
I am developing and Android application where the user can see the maps of the IL-2 Sturmovik series, plan flight routes, add markers and perform other tasks. The app has been release in the Play Store. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

en_badge_web_generic.png

Features:

• High resolution maps (thanks curiousGamblerr!)
  • Place markers to identify objectives
  • Flight route planning (with distance, angle and ETA between waypoints)
  • Flight route tracking (keep track of your flight)
  • Measuring tools for distances and angles between 2 points
  • Handy information about each aircraft
  • View airfield layouts for easy taxiing (provided by HR_zal)
  • Search for airfields and square positions to quickly find them in the map
  • Share routes with your squad
  • Manage the maps that are installed on your device

Planned:

• Moscow (WIP) and Velikie Luki airfield layouts
  • Better layouts on tablet devices
  • PWCG integration

Known bugs:

• Markers may be too small or too large on some devices
  • Impossible to click on an airfield which is behind a marker
  • Squads option is accessible without login (but won't work)
  • Paths don't appear after sharing a route unless you first scroll and pan a bit

Notes:

• The Squads functionality is backed by a server hosted in the cloud. Because I have to pay for it, access may be restricted during some time periods.
  • Do not use a password you use in any other service, even though standard security measures were taken.
  • If you forget your password, don't hesitate in contacting me.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Donations

Since the server costs are currently supported by me. if you wish to help with it, simply want to support the development or help me buy future expansions of the IL-2 series, here is an option to do so:

btn_donate_LG.gif

Version 1.2.0 Changelog

• Ability to save and load routes locally
  • Show ETA between points based on the indicated True Air Speed
  • Added stopwatch
  • Updated aircraft info sheets according to the game's documents 
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements

Version 1.1.1 Changelog

• Fixed crash on devices with Android version below 5.0
  • Updated dialog interfaces on older devices

Version 1.1.0 Changelog

• Introducing maps for Moscow and Velikie Luki, as well as an improved Stalingrad version
  • No more loading times
  • Map management
  • Search by square number
  • Added two missing airfields in Stalingrad
  • Security improvements
  • Some bug fixes

Version 1.0 Changelog

• Added Squads
  • Bug fixes and small improvements

Version Beta 1.1 Changelog

• Minimum Android version is now 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
  • Added airfield layouts
  • Ability to search for airfields
  • Customize measuring units and route colours
  • Updated interface

Edited by MAGNUM_PT, 27 April 2017 - 17:09.

#2 Virus*

Virus*
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:56

cool i'll try it as soon as i can :)

Thanks

#3 [TWB]Hooves

[TWB]Hooves
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:29

Very cool.

#4 10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76

10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:42

How do you install this.

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76, 17 November 2015 - 04:49.

SIGNATURE_ZG1.png

#5 Jirokoh

Jirokoh
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:47

Are you planning on doing this for iOS ?? :D

Because it just looks awesome, I'd love to have that on my phone :D

Willing to become a pilot able to land a plane, in enough good shape to take-off again ! 

#6 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:33

How do you install this.

To make it easier, download that file from your Android device. Then, you have to allow the installation of apps from outside the Play Store. If you haven't done this perform the following steps:

1. Go to Settings

2. Go to Security

3. Find the option "Unknown sources" and turn it on

Then, you can go to the location where you downloaded the file and open it. A prompt will appear asking wheter you want to install it.

Are you planning on doing this for iOS ?? :D

Because it just looks awesome, I'd love to have that on my phone :D

I would really love to but unfortunately I don't have the required resources (ie.: a MAC).

EDIT: fixed typo

Edited by MAGNUM_PT, 17 November 2015 - 12:34.

#7 Jirokoh

Jirokoh
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 13:04

oh :(

You don't have a friend that has one you could borrow ?  :P

Willing to become a pilot able to land a plane, in enough good shape to take-off again ! 

#8 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 17 November 2015 - 13:17

oh :(

You don't have a friend that has one you could borrow ?  :P

Hahaha. Even being in a masters in computer engineering and surrounded by tech people, none of my friends have a MAC.

#9 [TWB]Pand

[TWB]Pand
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 13:39

Looks promising!  :salute

pandemoniumsignature-logo.gif

Colonel Pand, [TWB] The Wet Bandits - http://www.thewetbandits.org

"Cheers Dakpilot" - Dakpilot

#10 Gramps

Gramps
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 14:03

Neat app! Installed okay on my Galaxy S4. Will work with it some later today. Anyone got a suggestion for a 7 or 8" android tablet, phone screen is just way to small.

i5 4690 @3.9, GTX 1070, 16 GB Ram, TM Warthog, VKBIII pedals, Win 10

#11 jokerBR

jokerBR
  • Founder

Posted 17 November 2015 - 14:45

Good initiative.

Unfortunately my phone screen is small, and my tablet is iOS based, so no dice for me. Anyway, excellent idea, and wish you success.

In the future, if there's a version to run on a second monitor in Windows itself, I'll use it for sure.

#12 NobbyNobbs

NobbyNobbs
  • Founder

Posted 18 November 2015 - 21:02

In the future, if there's a version to run on a second monitor in Windows itself, I'll use it for sure.

http://il2map.info

Map tool for BoS and ROF - http://il2map.info

Tool's topic

#13 II./JG53_Badger

II./JG53_Badger
  • Founder

Posted 20 November 2015 - 00:25

Shame this dont work for Ipad.

Badg_Sig_1.jpg

#14 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:59

Great app. Thank you!

It would be nice to have an update with airfield references like here: http://forum.il2stur...ruler/?p=263146

Is this possible?

#15 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:29

Great app. Thank you!
It would be nice to have an update with airfield references like here: http://forum.il2stur...ruler/?p=263146
Is this possible?

To tell you the truth, that's exactly what I'm working on. Here is a screenshot.
airfields.png

However, I don't know when I will publish this update due to many things still not working as intended.

#16 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:37

Wow, thank you!!! I forgot another thing: To have the coordinates on the squares would be also very fine. 

Is there anything that I can help you?

Probably doing some betatesting? Or Work on the map and put the coordinate numbers into it?

#17 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 04 February 2016 - 16:32

Wow, thank you!!! I forgot another thing: To have the coordinates on the squares would be also very fine. 

Is there anything that I can help you?

Probably doing some betatesting? Or Work on the map and put the coordinate numbers into it?

I appreciate your support. Right now there is not much in which I might require assistance. About the numbers of the squares, I'll take a look at it. Howevere, I will probably just make a script that draws the numbers on each square and be done with it instead of doing it by hand. Fast and easy. Once again, thanks for the idea.

#18 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 04 February 2016 - 18:17

Thanks for the effort Magnum!

Jason

#19 10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76

10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76
  • Founder

Posted 04 February 2016 - 18:29

Need to get this on my tablet today!

SIGNATURE_ZG1.png

#20 [TWB]Pand

[TWB]Pand
  • Founder

Posted 05 February 2016 - 13:32

Will you be pushing this to google play eventually when it's finished?

#21 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 05 February 2016 - 13:49

Will you be pushing this to google play eventually when it's finished?

I am planning to do so.

#22 [TWB]Pand

[TWB]Pand
  • Founder

Posted 05 February 2016 - 14:06

I am planning to do so.

Look forward to it --- thanks for the effort!

#23 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:59

Just want to make you guys know that a new version has been released. This version includes the ability to click on and airfield in the map and a window will appear with it's layout. Some airfields do not have a name on the map but are still clickable. Others might have an icon but will show no layout upon clicking. This is because the map is not fully complete (still, a special thanks to snowsniper for allowing it's use in the application) and some layouts are missing (a special thanks to HR_zal for providing them to the community).

It's also possible to search for airfields by it's name and to customize the route colours and measuring units.

About displaying the numbers in the map as suggested I_MaD_I, it will not possible because the squares displayed in the map do not match the squares in the game map. They are offsetted. I will not update the map because I didn't create it. If someone provides a better map, I will use instead of the current one.

Visit the main post for a changelog and download link.

If you find a bug or have any suggestion, feel free to post. Feedback is always appreciated.

#24 [TWB]Pand

[TWB]Pand
  • Founder

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:26

Nice work magnum ---- if you're looking for a large map try this one... I had it saved in my favorites!

https://dl.dropboxus...lingrad_map.pdf

#25 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:42

Very nice update magnum! Cant wait to test it...

I also use the map [TWB]Pand suggested. This would be a nice one to have.

When we navigate over the map its easy to speak about the coordinates as we have some problems to spell all the names  ;)

#26 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 12 February 2016 - 14:50

Okay. I did a quick test with the map provided by [TWB]Pand and here are some results:

• The map has a resolution of 8192x5245 and a total size of 65.3MB vs. 4824x2094 and a size of 13.7MB of the current map.
  • The loading time (in my current testing device) has increased from 1-2 seconds to more than 10 seconds.
  • Device memory usage was increased from 45MB to 100MB.
  • Device space usage was increased to 88.62MB.
  • Detail was considerably improved.

What it means:

• Large loading times.
  • Probably won't run on low and some medium end devices.

I also tried to reduce the size to about 50% but detail was considerably lost. Here are some screenshots for comparison (LARGE IMAGES AHEAD!):

Spoiler

Now, I would like some opinions. Is it worth increasing the detail while increasing the loading time and possibly excluding some devices? What do you think of the last option (50% the size of the map)? Detail will be lost but in comparison, more information is present when compared to the map currently in use.

#27 [TWB]Pand

[TWB]Pand
  • Founder

Posted 12 February 2016 - 17:23

Is it possible to chop the map up into smaller pieces to maintain the detail, and utilize multiple versions of the map?  

Then adjust the programming so it displays different maps/sections depending on the zoom level of the end user.

Lets say for example you make 3 maps from the original high quality image.

- When zoomed way out, it uses the low quality/small size map, as detail is not necessary.

- When you zoom in a little bit, it goes to the medium detail/medium size map, which is cut into X sections to keep the load sizes down and only displays the area that matches the user's view. 

- When you zoom in a lot, it goes to the full detail/full size map, which is cut into even more sections to keep load sizes down, and only displays the area that matches the user's view. 

#28 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 12 February 2016 - 21:38

Probably it could be usefull to publish two apps?
One for weaker devices and another for the stronger ones.
I could test them as I have 5 different android devices in my house: on the weak side the good old Galaxy S1 with 512MB ram (on CM11 and flying fast), the S3 with 1GB ram as medium device, also an 1GB Lenovo tablet, another Lenovo tablet with 2 GB and the Note 4 with 3 GB ram.
I think loading time doesn't matter as we can load the app while the game is loading - or does it load faster than 10 seconds?
Performance of map scrolling is the bigger problem.
Edit: I cannot load the screenshots
Edit 2: Screenshots loaded... I'd like to see the big map. 100mb should not be a big deal?!

P.S. Don't know, but is it possible to ask the builder(s) of this online tool to use their map material?:

http://il2map.info/main

http://il2map.info/m...=bos_stalingrad

Only when you zoom in to the max, you can see the airfields - its a pitty that we cannot use it with a tablet browser as pinch to zoom doesnot work here.

Attached File  Download.png   1.15MB   0 downloads

Edited by l_MaD_l, 13 February 2016 - 15:25.

#29 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 15 February 2016 - 00:25

Is it possible to chop the map up into smaller pieces to maintain the detail, and utilize multiple versions of the map?  

Then adjust the programming so it displays different maps/sections depending on the zoom level of the end user.

That's kind of the current behaviour. Less detail is rendered when the image is zoomed out. However, the whole image must be loaded into memory. Loading from the "disk" would take some time. I'll give it a look and see what I can do.

Probably it could be usefull to publish two apps?

I think loading time doesn't matter as we can load the app while the game is loading - or does it load faster than 10 seconds?

Performance of map scrolling is the bigger problem.

P.S. Don't know, but is it possible to ask the builder(s) of this online tool to use their map material?:

http://il2map.info/main

http://il2map.info/m...=bos_stalingrad

Mantining two apps was not exactly what I was expecting and probably won't happen.

Indeed the loading time should not be a problem as it only happens at app launch.

Regarding scrolling performace, it really depends on the device. I have tested it o 3 devices. Galaxy S3, Xperia Tablet Z and One Plus X. The Galaxy S3 is the one with the lowest specs but offers very good performace when scrolling (whoever, a big loading time). The Tablet Z on the other hand, loads fast but scrolls terribly slowly and is a higher end device. The last device is a more recent one and the app runs flawlessly. I see you have a large array of devices. Would you mind giving me some info regarding the loading times (approximate seconds) and scroll performance (laggs, runs ok, runs perfectly, etc.)?

The map used in that tool is the same one you provided but without the paper folds. Regarding the airfields, because you only use it for takeoff (and possibly landing), I believe that having it constantly displayed is not necessary.

100MB is indeed not a big deal on most modern devices. However, in my Galaxy S3, even with the old map it crashed about 10% of the times due to lack of memory. Must test with the new map.

#30 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:09

Wow I just installed the app and it's amazing. Congratulations, excellent job!

The tools are very useful and the app is very well done!

I love the engine settings tab for each plane, I hope you can add all the BOM planes too.

Looking forward to future updates. This app doesnt get nearly as much publicity on the forums as it should.

EDIT: forgot to mention that including the airfield layouts is a great idea, and it should have been in the game in the first place.

Also some feedback on performance: I'm using a Nexus 5X with the latest Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) and the app loads instantly and scrolls very smoothly.

10/10

-JM

Edited by Jade_Monkey, 15 February 2016 - 04:19.

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#31 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 15 February 2016 - 13:20

1st test on Note 4: everything perfect...
Later tests will follow!

#32 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 15 February 2016 - 13:24

Wow I just installed the app and it's amazing. Congratulations, excellent job!
The tools are very useful and the app is very well done!
I love the engine settings tab for each plane, I hope you can add all the BOM planes too.

Looking forward to future updates. This app doesnt get nearly as much publicity on the forums as it should.

EDIT: forgot to mention that including the airfield layouts is a great idea, and it should have been in the game in the first place.

Also some feedback on performance: I'm using a Nexus 5X with the latest Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) and the app loads instantly and scrolls very smoothly.

10/10

-JM

Thanks a lot for your support and feedback. I really appreciate it.
Regarding the BoM planes, I will add them once I have that information. The inclusion of the BoM map is also planned

#33 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 15 February 2016 - 16:40

Hi MAGNUM_PT,

I wanted to give you some feedback on a couple of missing airfields:

• Katluban: Right above Pitomnik, it doesnt seem to be listed and it doesnt pop up the airfield layout.
  • Peskatovka:  Above Marinovka, it doesnt pop up. There is a "Peskovatka" listed somewhere else but there is no airfield icon for this one. Not sure if it's supposed to be the same or two different ones. 

Loving the map, I'm going to use it today for my missions.

-JM

i7 7700k  | GTX 1080 Ti |   16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4  |  LG 34UM95 3440x1440 | HTC Vive | TrackIR 5  |  Saitek X-55 HOTAS  |  MFG Crosswind graphite pedals

#34 MAGNUM_PT

MAGNUM_PT

Posted 15 February 2016 - 19:06

Hi MAGNUM_PT,

I wanted to give you some feedback on a couple of missing airfields:

• Katluban: Right above Pitomnik, it doesnt seem to be listed and it doesnt pop up the airfield layout.
  • Peskatovka:  Above Marinovka, it doesnt pop up. There is a "Peskovatka" listed somewhere else but there is no airfield icon for this one. Not sure if it's supposed to be the same or two different ones. 

Loving the map, I'm going to use it today for my missions.

-JM

Because the map and the airfield layouts come from different sources, problems like that are expected. Thanks for finding them. I will try to add the missing parts.

#35 mort

mort
  • Founder

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:40

That's kind of the current behaviour. Less detail is rendered when the image is zoomed out. However, the whole image must be loaded into memory. Loading from the "disk" would take some time. I'll give it a look and see what I can do.

Mantining two apps was not exactly what I was expecting and probably won't happen.

Indeed the loading time should not be a problem as it only happens at app launch.

Regarding scrolling performace, it really depends on the device. I have tested it o 3 devices. Galaxy S3, Xperia Tablet Z and One Plus X. The Galaxy S3 is the one with the lowest specs but offers very good performace when scrolling (whoever, a big loading time). The Tablet Z on the other hand, loads fast but scrolls terribly slowly and is a higher end device. The last device is a more recent one and the app runs flawlessly. I see you have a large array of devices. Would you mind giving me some info regarding the loading times (approximate seconds) and scroll performance (laggs, runs ok, runs perfectly, etc.)?

The map used in that tool is the same one you provided but without the paper folds. Regarding the airfields, because you only use it for takeoff (and possibly landing), I believe that having it constantly displayed is not necessary.

100MB is indeed not a big deal on most modern devices. However, in my Galaxy S3, even with the old map it crashed about 10% of the times due to lack of memory. Must test with the new map.

Non trivial change I'm sure, but using or implementing something like TileView (https://github.com/moagrius/TileView) is a common solution for problems like this. At a cursory glance and without knowing the details of your architecture that library looks pretty ideal. Figured I'd mention it in case you had not stumbled across it.

#36 Jade_Monkey

Jade_Monkey
  • Founder

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:29

Because the map and the airfield layouts come from different sources, problems like that are expected. Thanks for finding them. I will try to add the missing parts.

Of course, makes sense!

Here are a couple of airfield names that I noticed had a small typo:

• "Raygord" should be "Raygorod"
  • "Cheenishkovskiy" should be "Chernishkovskiy"

#37 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 18 February 2016 - 18:21

So a little update how version 1.1 is working on different devices:

SGS 1 (on CM11) - 512 MB Ram: loading time very long, but mapscrolling is ok- no longer lags. Working good

Lenovo K1 - 1 GB Ram: long loading, mapscrolling with hickups, but ok, had 1 appcrash while testing. Working ok

Medion 8912 (I think lenovobrand) 2 GB Ram: faster loading time - great mapscrolling. Working perfect

Note 4 - 3 GB Ram: fastest loading, best performance, but equal to Mediontablet. Working perfect

Did not test it on the SGS 3 right now...

Would like to try it with new version of map...

Edited by l_MaD_l, 18 February 2016 - 18:21.

#38 Habu

Habu
  • Tester

Posted 19 March 2016 - 13:17

On the map there is an airfield missing. In square 483, there are 2 airfields : Plesovkiy and Lipovsky. Only Lipovsly is on the map.

Here is the map i used, maybe have a try with it.

https://www.dropbox....ad Far.zip?dl=0

#39 l_MaD_l

l_MaD_l
  • Founder

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:10

Bumping the thread and asking if there are any news for leaving beta?!

#40 216th_Cat

216th_Cat
  • Founder

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:19

Scrolling and zooming in/out very smoothly on a Galaxy S6. Pop-up airfield layouts and plane data working fine too.

I can't work out how to add an airfield for flight planning though: I've poked and prodded everything I can see!

Excellent app that will prove to be very useful, especially if I can prise the wife's Nexus 10 away from her every now and then  :lol: .

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users