coconut

Multiple screen setups

Should the devs prioritize support for multi-screen setups?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a triple-screen setup?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, but I have a super-mega-duper-wide screen (more than 21:9).
    • No, I don't.
    • Other (please explain in the comments)
  2. 2. What about the future?

• I'm not interested in triple-screen setups
    • I'll definitely be buying one of those
    • I'm considering getting rid of my triple-screen setup (if so, please say why in the comments)
    • I have one, and will be keeping it
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. If you are concerned by those bugs, how important is it to you that they get fixed?

• I am not concerned, or the bugs don't bother me
    • I am concerned and would like the bugs to be fixed, provided it does not delay other features (e.g. plane additions, new theatres, hi-res textures, sound fixes...) by more than two weeks
    • I am concerned and would like the bugs to be fixed, provided it does not delay other features by more than one month
    • I am concerned and would like the bugs to be fixed, provided it does not delay other features by more than three months
    • I am concerned and would like the bugs to be fixed as the top priority

Current support for triple screen setups in the game could be better. The devs are aware of this issue, but are not prioritizing it because of the small user base affected by this problem. My question is: How many people have multiple screens and would want to run the game on more than one screen?

Because the bugs are really related to the aspect ratio rather than the number of physical screens, I am including an option for extra-wide single-screen setups.

For reference, see http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13318-excessive-sun-brightness-triple-screens-setups/for some of the bugs. This includes:

• UI issues (zoomed up map, HUD elements far out)
  • Unusable bomb sights
  • Increased sun brightness
  • Low terrain texture quality

An answer by Han: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-questions-developers/?p=291298

By the way, I'm not trying to gather a crowd of angry demanding customers. I'm just trying to gather information, so please refrain from writing angry comments should you feel inclined to do so. That would only get that thread locked.

Edited by coconut

Considering to replace my triple-screen setup with a large 27inch 4K display. I like my triple-screen setup and would like to keep it, but if I can't use it then it does not make sense keeping it. Alternatively I might simply play another game that has better support (DCS, maybe?), but I'm too invested in mission development to just drop it all.

flying with two displays and SoftTH for a couple of years now BOS and ROF. In XP you can just stretch the window and DCS has a two diplay setup.

Edited by indiaciki

Triple screen user here. I've read of the "helix mod" used to good effect in other games, has a tweak for thus sim addressing some of the issues you've identified. That also includes some 3d vision tweaks, but I haven't used it yet. Mostly because I've been waiting for the devs to fix it when they get the opportunity. But i suppose in the man time it would be more useful to actually try it and provide some feedback in the meantime.

Love my 3x27" screen setup, but right now only 2 sims I play gives me a constant 60fps with all screens on while playing and that's iRacing and Warthunder. All my other flight sims have much lower fps with 3 screens, so I just run them on 1 screen for IL2, Elite, DCS.

However the feeling of flight is very cool in all the sims with 3 screens, just wish I had better performance. Maybe when I upgrade my system.

I have 3x27" (2560x1440) but can't use them at all with BoS and this makes me sad because the setup cost me a small car. The aim was to improve peripheral vision which is oh-so-helpful in maintaining SA. But I tried both landscape and portrait arrangements, neither of which was satisfactory. Issues were:

- UI elements were poorly located on each of the screens;

- the non-adjustable viewport aspect ratio resulting in cropping ( yep - less content on 3 screens than 1 ); and

- the single frustum mapped onto 3 screens rather that discrete per-screen projections resulting in extreme distortion at the lateral peripheries.

Check out the thread on PLP setup...this might be what your looking for...I run a 40inch 3840x2160 middle with 2 23 inch wings in portrait mode both at 1200x2160(custom resolution) for a total of 6240 x 2160...it looks amazing! and runs at 50-60 fps on ultra with HDR and no SSAO fyi.   http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21236-plp-running-flawless/

Edited by 6./ZG1_GrendelsDad

Currently on triple 19" 5:4 screens (4040*1024 including bezel correction).

I am getting rid of it as soon as I can afford the Oculus Rift, though!

Only shame now is that BoS/BoM as has great force feedback support for the msffb2, but no VR support yet.

The only other option is sim battles in War Thunder which has support for VR, but horrible force feedback, due to mixed up axes on X and Y that they never fix. And besides, BoS/BoM is a lot better.

But still, I'm staying optimistic. It will come together eventually, I'm sure. So for me it's bye bye triple monitor, and hopefully hello 360 degree vomiting as my MiG-3 goes down in a violent spin!

Best,

Klas

It'd be great if the menu and gui issues get addressed sometime in the near future, but there's so much for them right now to work on.  I'm sure some of the issues I/we experience will be addressed if/when they are able to deal with the oculus/vive support question anyway.  And of course they (the devs) have this and other threads like it.  I'm sure they know the issues.  I'm glad we are now able to play triple screen in native resolution.  

As an aside, I'm also curious to know if anyone tried this game via Trinus VR and a good smartphone?  I have and it's pretty cool, but I have had some issues related to tethering and never got it working quite right.  As a result, I can't comment much on it (other than it looks like it works!).  I'm sure some person or company (perhaps Trinus even) will find some way of rendering unsupported (Rift/Vive) games, as it does now.  Someone has a vid of them running Rise of Flight this way on youtube and it looked really cool.

Sorry for the sidebar, but I figure it's all related - virtual simming and what we could potentially do with this software as technology evolves... :)

As an aside, I'm also curious to know if anyone tried this game via Trinus VR and a good smartphone?

I did, on my dying, rubbish 720p Galaxy S3 LTE. With my headtracker doing 1:1 rotation and position. Still fun even if it's not "real" perspective, and the resolution was like flying with no glasses. I didn't notice too much of the lack of refresh rate either. It felt surprisingly good (far from good enough of course.)

I must add I have tried the Vive in other VR apps, and the quality there is beyond good enough for me. Would be insane to use the Rift/Vive in IL-2.

It'd be great if the menu and gui issues get addressed sometime in the near future, but there's so much for them right now to work on. 

The menu does align well between the bezel correction for me using the 3 x 5:4 at least. Are you in Nvidia Surround with fullscreen? Did you try setting both

full_height =
full_width =

as well as

win_height =
win_width =

in the config? That solved some the FOV for me at least. Maybe it helps on the UI placements too?

Which configuration? Nvidia drivers? Surround settings? I will have a peek and see if I can figure it out.

Did you try setting both

full_height =
full_width =

as well as

win_height =
win_width =

in the config? That solved some the FOV for me at least. Maybe it helps on the UI placements too?

Could you please elaborate on how this would help?

Thanks.

Could you please elaborate on how this would help?

Thanks.

You know how the rendered FOV seems to stay the same and be cut at the top/bottom (scaled to fit the horizontal resolution), when using a triple screen setup? It seemed to me that setting the win_height and win_width to the same resolution as the main resolution further up in the config makes the FOV scale to fit the vertical resolution, so you get the same amount depth vertically as you would with a single screen.

This is the only thing I have done to adjust the game to my triple screen setup. And my menu alignment seems fine. Therefore I thought maybe the UI could use the same variables as a basis for their placement?

Guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Which configuration? Nvidia drivers? Surround settings? I will have a peek and see if I can figure it out.

There is a configuration file located in your "../Il-2 battle of Staligrad/data/" folder. I believe it's called startup.cfg.

You could try it, and see if the menu elements move.

best,

Klas

Edited by kissklas
  • Upvote 1

I have made those changes to my startup.cfg with no changes to the presentation of loading screens or maps - just sharing info.  I can post my startup.cfg.

[KEY = account]
 login = "username"
 password = "your password"
[END]

[KEY = camera]
 cinematic = 0
 head_smooth = 1.00000
 shake = 1
[END]

[KEY = force_feedback]
 amplitude = 1.00000
 enabled = 1
 force = 1.00000
[END]

[KEY = graphics]
 adapter = 0
 bloom_enable = 0
 desktop_center = 1
 fps_limit = 0
 full_height = 1050
 full_width = 5040
 fullscreen = 1
 gamma = 1.00000
 hdr_enable = 0
 land_tex_lods = 2
 mgpu_compatible = 1
 multisampling = 0
 or_enable = 0
 or_ipd = 1.00000
 or_lens_offs = 1.00000
 preset = 0
 ssao_enable = 0
 vsync = 1
 win_height = 1050
 win_width = 5040
[END]

[KEY = input]
 mouse_plane_control = 0
 old_trackir = 0
[END]

[KEY = interface]
 language = "eng"
 log = ""
 showcompas = 1
 showicons = 1
 units = "metric"
[END]

[KEY = iservice]
 proxy_name = "alpha.il2sturmovik.net:443"
 register_url = ""
 server_debug = ""
 try_ping = 0
 try_web_port = 1
 use_proxy = 1
[END]

[KEY = network]
 available_ip = ""
 client_download_traflimit = 1024
 client_ip = ""
 client_upload_traflimit = 1024
 downloader_port = 28100
 tcp_port = 28000
 udp_port = 28000
[END]

[KEY = sound]
 debug_radio = 0
 interface = 1
 interface_music = 1
 quality = 2
 volume = 0.50000
[END]

[KEY = system]
 bin_log_folder = ""
 gamelog = 0
 keep_binary_log = 0
 mission_text_log = 1
 modes = 0
 mp_test_message = 0
 playoffline = 0
 reset_configs = 0
 skin_dir = "graphics\Skins\"
 text_log_folder = ""
[END]

[KEY = track_record]
 fx_sound = 0
 record_graphics_effect = 0
 record_ground_vehicles = 0
[END]

I do not have the space , nor the hardware to consider a setup like this. But I do not mind others to enjoy it. There was no option for that answer in your poll. I never concern myself for materialistic reasons. 

Personally I think this game demand a lot of hardware with just one screen, and I think this should be looked at. Then it might be possible to increase the number of screens

New GTX1070/80 Tech should make this redundant, even if full 3 screen support was implemented the performance hit of 3 separate rendered screens would probably require a GPU of those powers anyway

only weeks for some lucky person to try this out...

Cheers Dakpilot

I have now bought a 1440p 144Hz Gsync panel. I'm very happy with it. I still have three screens, but the two on the side are "only" 1080p. It would be nice if there was a way to support that kind of non-uniform setup. However, with VR around the corner, this will become a non-issue for me.

Edited by coconut

exhuming an older thread here ...

I have a triple head set up: ~5440 x1050p 

The middle monitor is an older high end DELL 27" IPS ($AU2500 retail) panel and the outer ones are cheap hand me downs that have passed through at least three users to my knowledge.
For me, they perform brilliantly and give a tremendous sense of realism especially when combined with TrackIR.

The outer two monitors just don't quite have the same contrast ratio as the middle monitor but that not really an issue for me (in all games) as I am using the outer ones as peripherals and high details are not that important. Having said that, they are perfectly fine to fly with and I can highly recommend such a set up. 

After my post I completed the survey which at time of posting has some interesting results.

It appears that ~35% have triple screen set ups really enjoy what they have and would want to go back to one screen compared to ~55% that only use one screen.

Statistically, that's a very close margin.