-Eightone-Tartan81

lets talk ground attack tactics

so here goes here i would like to ask the community to respond on ground attack tactics 

please feel free to pick up on any i may have been mislead on so far this is my first IL-2 expearience and just concerns the actual ground attcking stage not the fighter tactics defensive manouvers 

1.do not fly towards firing aaa [back out choose new target]

2.nothing wrong with pulling out dive with harsh movement.

3.don't drop bomb to low

4.come in with yaw action when attacking aaa

5.no need for high revs after the dive or when diving

6.procedure turn up and away once attack has been made

7.concentrate on target leave 6 to fighters when on attack run

8.what point is the target confirmed as your target

9.no need to be greedy with ground targets

10.maintain momentum

11.after attack run go low and slow keep heads up[ready with throttle]

12.after attack run go fast and low don't hit terra firma

13.keep engine warm for max performance

14.flaps give both lift and drag

15.cannon close range

16.remember chosen gun convergence 

17.help rear gunner aim flying out [nice easy turn and climb out]

18.rudder throw rates

19.don't be a solitary pilot

20.supercharger and boost on exit with climb

21.call in rear gunner commands regular

22.avoid those trees

23.mixture settings makes all the difference

24.ID target area  with scenery

25.remember heading

please feel free to comment on anything i may have missed out on

thx Tartan81

• Upvote 2

^ thanks

I linked a nicely done video instruction by Dart.

Attacking AAA (always a bugger). I still use this in BoS.

Ground attack

• Upvote 2

gee thanks gx007 those two films really cleared up alot for me

what about pulling away from a  ground target ??

just simply maintain speed climb high??

that was a fighter aircraft i use the il2 and the stuka soon to be using the pe2 but seems same princeple may apply bring her up then shoot , rockets just a small amount off the cross hair bombs drop under the nose

ive been coming in slow heading straight to the ground target aiming dead on for everything

silly me great going dart

Not much to add here, great tips.

The three things I usually follow to avoid being shot down are to come in fast as well, attack decisively - aim, then shoot until the last second - so that you don't have to come back for the target, and finally, perhaps the most important, never turn within AAA range. If you do, your plane slows down and you offer the gunners a full top view of your plane for them to shoot at.

Oh, and against fighters, be as annoying as you can. The Il-2 and Ju-87 can turn very nicely, so ruin the fighter's shot as much as you can while letting your rear gunner rip at him. If you prove to be enough of a nuisance (and he's not the best pilot in the world), he'll either go aggressive and make a mistake like sitting on your dead six for your gunner to finish him or slip in front of your frontal armament. Then you finish the bastard.

is it true about the rudder..as in, you don't use it when coming in for a ground straif

and i don't agree with not turning before you come in  if you fly cleanly then you shouldn't loose any speed if you keep it nice and smooth. but i am new here to il2 so i'l try that but, if i don't turn then there's only the  verticle that would loose more airspeed than turning

what would be  a good airspeed range for ground bombing and straifing targets in the il-2? the stuka can handle alot of different air speeds but the il-2 cant it really picks up speed in a dive and makes accurate aiming hard 

what the communty think thats reading this

Oh, I explained badly there. I meant after the first run avoid turning in any way that exposes your plane more than necessary. Providing a crossing target while extending the distance between you and the gun should complicate aiming enough.

Trim is the key to a good bombing run. The Il-2 doesn't have a rudder trim though so personally I step on the rudder a bit while lining up and keep it there to center the ball, and only release it when I'm done firing.

If you are bombing in a fighter there was a nice little video around that showed how to get more accurate, but I cannot find it :(

The gist of it was a controlled speed dive at around 45 degrees angle with the target lined up, then pull out smoothly and release bomb just as the target disappears out of sight below the nose. As soon as I started following this procedure I started to get hits on tanks with my Lagg3.

6.procedure turn up and away once attack has been made  11.after attack run go low and slow keep heads up[ready with throttle] 12.after attack run go fast and low don't hit terra firma

I found it pays off to pay attention to ground features. For example, if there is a forest on the left side it might be a good idea to stay at tree top level and turn left behind that forest after the attach has been completed. After all the terrain is fairly flat in the steppe, no need to climb for mountain avoidance :biggrin:

1.do not fly towards firing aaa [back out choose new target]

I've managed (in a 109 E-7) to knock out AAA on approaches. So - on approach focus on hitting an AAA installation; then pull up and focus on the main target (a bridge etc.); then try to get away.

^ thanks

I linked a nicely done video instruction by Dart.

Attacking AAA (always a bugger). I still use this in BoS.

Ground attack

Darts's videos are still very useful :)

I find circling the target area works well and when one plane picks up flak the other attacks...it's all about team work

Does anyone here know how ground attack pilots normally approached the target area? Ie. did they approach at treetop level, pulled up for aiming, and escaped at treetop level? Or did they approach high (e.g. 1 - 2,000 m), dove to the target, and climbed out again?

That depends on the situation. It was common Il-2 practice to come in really low, pop up for the attack and get out. At the same time, it was also common for Il-2 pilots to come in at 1,000 metres parallel to the target, turn in and perform the attack at a 45 degree angle. The Stuka experts here can answer better on that end.

I don't know much about the Pe-2 tactics, except that by and large the Red Army Air Force preferred level bombing while the Navy opted for diving from about 3,000m straight down.