Han

Developer Diary, Part 111 - Discussion

There will be this skin for sure:

S9+NN, aircraft of Ofw. Herbert Kutschaof 5./ZG1, spring 1942, Ostfront.

post-1464-0-62176300-1445780446_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-57254500-1445780473_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-64897300-1445780487_thumb.jpg

Great to see Leutnant Herbert Kutscha s 110.

I always loved the Wespengeschwader. Have two of them in 1/48. One G-2 and the E-1. Cool to see them

Edited by LcSummers

..and I am on a business trip in [Edited] for the rest of the week...Will have to catch up with update during weekend.But again,there I have some family activities.When there is time,there is nothing new to do.When there is lots of new things to do,there is no time :biggrin:

The Reich is no more. Please refer to Germany as Germany.

Edited by Bearcat
  • Upvote 1

:biggrin: for edit.We call it like that in common speach here in Slovakia and in Czech republic.There is still this Osterreich country where they speak kind of german  :biggrin:

Summer map is coming this week, holy cat i just can't wait, i'm waiting for summer maps since BoS release, and now i must wait for only a week, holy dog

:biggrin: for edit.We call it like that in common speach here in Slovakia and in Czech republic.There is still this Osterreich country where they speak kind of german  :biggrin:

Oesterreich.

[i'm from the UK, but have lived in Vienna for six or seven years. A few years ago, I was in Achen ( Northern Germany) with my then nine-year old son. He turned to me in wonder and said, "Dad, listen to the German they speak here - it's sooooooo old-fashioned!"  :P. Tee hee!]

Osterreich is the proper name of an existing country... The other term you used is not... But I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the difference, Slovak colloquialisms or not.  :mellow:

Poor Stukas and Ju-52s that could not gear up

There was a Stuka version which had explosive bolts for its gear, I think it was a naval version? So it could ditch in the water.

Oesterreich.

[i'm from the UK, but have lived in Vienna for six or seven years. A few years ago, I was in Achen ( Northern Germany) with my then nine-year old son. He turned to me in wonder and said, "Dad, listen to the German they speak here - it's sooooooo old-fashioned!" :P. Tee hee!]

So your son grew up with two languages and speaks actually German?

Oesterreich.

[i'm from the UK, but have lived in Vienna for six or seven years. A few years ago, I was in Achen ( Northern Germany) with my then nine-year old son. He turned to me in wonder and said, "Dad, listen to the German they speak here - it's sooooooo old-fashioned!"  :P. Tee hee!]

Northern? I think you mean western  ;)

There's a hell of a difference between landing on an improvised airstrip, wich has been carefully selected, cleared and under a steamroller, and making an emergency landing in a completely unprepared field, which you have only just spotted from several kilometers distance. You have pretty much no way of telling how even the ground is, if it's covered in rocks or how deep and dense the vegetation is, all if which could have catastrophic impact on a wheels-down landing.

When you look at pictures of crash landed aircraft, it's nearly always belly landings, even when the ground seems hard and even, and for good reason.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, and I think it's likely it can be done in the sim with the new ground physics. It's just really risky compared to a belly landing which would always be the safer choice.

Very true, landing on soft dirt with gear down can put your nose in the ground pretty quickly with a risk of a broken neck (black screen). A plowed farmer's field would be seriously dangerous.

Is it possible to land on any frozen water in IL2? I've always broken through the ice. Considering in the real world, planes and big-rigs drive on frozen rivers/lakes when the ice is thick enough...

Even landing on water; the manuals I've read say land towards shore, or if the waves are big, along the waves, not across them. (I think it was a B-17 or A-10 flight manual I can't find it any more)

It was something like this:

https://ia801706.us.archive.org/12/items/PilotTrainingManualForTheMitchellBomber/PilotTrainingManualForTheMitchellBomber.pdf

this says to land wheel up unless on a known air field (pg 86), and that's for a B-25.

Not to mention the fact that belly landings are generally much safer.

It's really only in flight sims, where landing with intact engine and propeller equals more points, that pilots have any incentive to land wheels-down in a field.

Jah ! That's what roads are for!

Beautiful work guys ! Bravo!

Sure - preparation would always help, but a flat grass or dirt surface without loose stones, rocks and  potholes  is essentially all that an airfield was before artificial surfaces were introduced. Having your erks line up and pick up loose debris and fill in any obvious holes would obviously reduce the risks of accidents, but my original comment was merely to express hope that the devs had not gone and made all surfaces off the designated strips so bouncy and and frictional that take off and landing would be impossible in all circumstances. (Partly because I enjoy landing in odd places ;))

As far as I can see from many photos of airfields in Russia during the war, they - like the pre-war airfields on downland areas in the UK - were mostly huge open areas of grass with little to differentiate the "strip" from anywhere else, and without distinct taxi-ways. There is a progression from pre-war open grass fields to the late WW2 artificial strips needed by the heavier, faster landing late war designs, and 1941-42 is still fairly early.

Looking forward to playing with the new toys, anyway. 

If I remember correctly I think there was one article where the mechanics where not to thrilled with having to clean mud out of the wheel wells....

There are stories of pilots landing behind enemy lines to pick up fellow pilots who had crashlanded. But it is one thing to land a fully functioning plane gears down and a completely different thing to try to get down in a damaged crate, where gears down would unnecessarily complicate everything.

There are stories of that from WWI and WWII. I'm more familiar with the WWI stories of pilots landing behind lines to pick up a fellow downed aviator. The rate of success wasn't good. Most of the stories I've read was two aircraft in, one downed due to some kind of damage/failure, and two pilots ended up walking out because the good rescue aircraft was pranged on take off on rocks or stumps, or ground looped due to various ground conditions - and that's if they even successfully landed without flipping over or hitting something like a rock/boulder or part of an old fallen tree they didn't see from the air.

Some rare fields might be okay, but it's not going to be above 15% at best. Prepared fields, well obviously those are fine. Just the same as landing on roads, which were the majority of downed rescues I've read about in WWII.

As far as I can see from many photos of airfields in Russia during the war, they - like the pre-war airfields on downland areas in the UK - were mostly huge open areas of grass with little to differentiate the "strip" from anywhere else, and without distinct taxi-ways. There is a progression from pre-war open grass fields to the late WW2 artificial strips needed by the heavier, faster landing late war designs, and 1941-42 is still fairly early.

Any large field that has been dedicated to be an airfield isn't going to be strewn with branches or boulders or tree stumps or anything else. It will be cultivated and hardened, unless it is already hard enough, but it will absolutely have the grasses tamed and the ground made as flattened and possible. It isn't going to be full of burrows and dead animal carcasses or anything else that makes a regular field instead of an airfield. The areas were picked for being relatively flat, and easy to make into a landing area. They didn't just go "Hey! A field! Okay, put the huts over there and we're good!" Then they sit back and wonder why 90% of their aircraft have bent landing gear, are sitting on their backs, or sitting nose down tail up.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 2

You all are wrong!

Its Ostereierreich :biggrin:

or better known as Ostmark!!!

So your son grew up with two languages and speaks actually German?

He speaks three languages. His mother (the ex-Mrs Swallow) is Italian. All three of my kids are more clever (and more annoying) than their old man.

(My own German is disastrous. Umlauts freak me out. Luckily, most Austrians now speak pretty good English!  :cool: )

Edited by No601_Swallow

Any large field that has been dedicated to be an airfield isn't going to be strewn with branches or boulders or tree stumps or anything else. It will be cultivated and hardened, unless it is already hard enough, but it will absolutely have the grasses tamed and the ground made as flattened and possible. It isn't going to be full of burrows and dead animal carcasses or anything else that makes a regular field instead of an airfield. The areas were picked for being relatively flat, and easy to make into a landing area. They didn't just go "Hey! A field! Okay, put the huts over there and we're good!" Then they sit back and wonder why 90% of their aircraft have bent landing gear, are sitting on their backs, or sitting nose down tail up.

Why is it so hard to understand that the Steppe is not necessarily fields? Natural grasslands, much of which had never been ploughed, stretching from The Black Sea to the border of China.  Are people so confused by the term "airfield" that they think it has to be a "field"? Perhaps if they were all called "airstrips" there would be less incomprehension and we would be spared this kind of comment. 

Picture with the Stuka over burning Stalingrad is epic. Great job Devs - I cant wait for tommorow when ending Ice age in BOS  :cool:

Picture with the Stuka over burning Stalingrad is epic. Great job Devs - I cant wait for tommorow when ending Ice age in BOS  :cool:

No need to wait...seems it is happening today

Cheers Dakpilot

He speaks three languages. His mother (the ex-Mrs Swallow) is Italian. All three of my kids are more clever (and more annoying) than their old man.

(My own German is disastrous. Umlauts freak me out. Luckily, most Austrians now speak pretty good English!  :cool: )

Ah, therefor you wrote Osterreich instead of Österreich. :P

By the way, 'ex-Mrs Swallow' sounds a bit... you know. I mean, if it was not the bird but the verb. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I will admit I am one of those guys who takes off where ever when ever...But I always  look before I leap as too stay out of any real pilots way. hehe.  Its not that I want too but when that bird gets going sometimes I just follow her.  Please forgive me and don't hesitate to grab a tank and pull me out of the mud when you see me this summer.  Thanks ahead of time.

yes me too, when I´m flying online which was very rarely the case in the last 12 months, I also started in any direction that looked free. It was because in all that snow you hardly can distinguish any contour. It all looks just white so it is really hard to see on the ground where the runway is. Once in the air, you can see it but it`s not so easy to find it when you are still on your parking position. Hope that changes with the summer map.

Very true, landing on soft dirt with gear down can put your nose in the ground pretty quickly with a risk of a broken neck (black screen). A plowed farmer's field would be seriously dangerous.

Happen to be reading Nest of Eagles last night (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Eagles-Messerschmitt-Production-Flight-testing/dp/1906537127)

There was an account by a JG51 pilot who collected a new 109 in Spring '41 to fly back to the squadron. He had an engine failure and decided to land in a likely looking field in Germany with undercarriage down. After being rescued from his upside-down aircraft, Molder's gave him a dressing-down for ignoring standing orders that all forced landings be undertaken with wheels retracted to reduce risk to aircraft and pilot.

By the way, 'ex-Mrs Swallow' sounds a bit... you know. I mean, if it was not the bird but the verb. :rolleyes:

made my day... and ruined my keyboard.... coffee all over.. Thanx mate!! :cool:

yes me too, when I´m flying online which was very rarely the case in the last 12 months, I also started in any direction that looked free. It was because in all that snow you hardly can distinguish any contour. It all looks just white so it is really hard to see on the ground where the runway is. 

-snip-

:nea:

I'm curious which size the update will be.

I'm going to go for mahooooooosive.

Osterreich is the proper name of an existing country... The other term you used is not... But I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the difference, Slovak colloquialisms or not.  :mellow:

Yeah,whatever,Mr.Hawk One von Vereinigte Staaten :biggrin:

My wettest dreams have come true with this update. I can sleep now comfortably knowing that the future of WWII flight simming is assured.

Thank you very much dear developers!

when is bf 110? thanks

November.

It's only been mentioned about a hundred million times all over the place.

Not sure you'd want to fly it anyway - you'll just hate it and make sure the rest of us hear about it.

• Upvote 3

November.

It's only been mentioned about a hundred million times all over the place.

Not sure you'd want to fly it anyway - you'll just hate it and make sure the rest of us hear about it.

i do not hate the ju88, bf110, ju87, il2, and he111. i rarely use the other planes, they're just interchangeable fighers. i have only complained twice about the singleplayer lacking depth and replay value.

i start using the bf 109 e7 because it has a sharp nose cone. thank you

Edited by johncage

i do not hate the ju88, bf110, ju87, il2, and he111. i rarely use the other planes, they're just interchangeable fighers. i have only complained twice about the singleplayer lacking depth and replay value.

i start using the bf 109 e7 because it has a sharp nose cone. thank you

Best reason to use a plane.

any plane becomes a genius intellectual in my hands, so i feel there's no distinction besides looks.

for example, a medical student poised to enter an affable and stable lifestyle will chose her mates based solely on looks and personality, because she does not require wealth or status.

i regularly shoot down fighters as a pe-2 or il-2

Edited by johncage