Han

Developer Diary, Part 110 - Discussion

Hello everyone!

Today we have some good news: version 1.104 is ready for beta testing, it includes a German fighter Bf 109 E-7 for Battle of Moscow project, summer and autumn Stalingrad maps and the new campaign Battle of Stalingrad: part 1.

We worked on some additional optimizations of the physics code and plan to increase the maximum simultaneous players cap on one multiplayer server to 84 persons. In addition, while making physics changes for summer season we improved the ground contact modeling and added more surface types, I'll tell you about this in detail in our next update.

To make your waiting for 1.104 less boresome, today we're presenting new screenshots of the new campaign, new fighter and a little surprise. In addition to screenshots there are two videos; one of them shows aerobatics abilities of upcoming Bf 109 E-7 (it may be interesting to compare its capabilities with Bf 109 F-4, which aerobatics video we published earlier); the second video is a little surprise too.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg
07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

Full news
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 19

Holy smoke! That's a mouthful.

The screens, which I suppose are from the new campaign cinematics, look aresome. :good: Huge improvement on the old ones, which weren't too bad either.

The aerobatics vid of the E7 was great (as always) Looks like we'll have more of a down-and-dirty dogfighter than a rocket ship, great! :dance:

84 player servers is awesome news right in time for the expected boom in player interest due to the new maps. :clapping:

The improved ground surfaces and ground contact physics sound very promising. Hopefully taking off and landing across any open strip of land will be more of a challenge in the future. 

And then that tank vid... I must say I'm a bit torn on this. If it's just a little side project you're doing to do WT one better by actually doing drivable tanks in a flight sim the right way, then I'm on board. If it means you're skipping flight sims after BoM to develop a full fledged tank sim in this engine, then I'll definately call that bad news, not only because it'll take focus away from making this the best combat flight sim ever seen, but also because I don't think this engine is the right choice for a full-on tank sim, as much as we need such a sim.

Keeping it positive. 1.104 looks to be one massive pile of goodies. You just made the wait all the more unbearable. :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

• Upvote 8

Very interesting.  Love the T-34, but what are those strange desktop wallpapers?  They are not part of the campaign are they?

Very interesting.  Love the T-34, but what are those strange desktop wallpapers?  They are not part of the campaign are they?

These are from chapter intro videos, just a showcase of the campaign cutscenes.

My guess is, that they're either loading screens or shots from the cinematics. In either case, I think they look great, but that's a matter of taste I suppose.

Seems the picture should be some kind of Story from early Kid age's and German invasion to be a IL-2 Pilot to drive out the germans some kind of this.

Sommer maps and new stuff are awesome can't wait much longer looking realy dam good nice done

Tank driving video is really surprising stuff, but why not it's attract some more player und seem's to be realy well done with interior 

Some evening to ride up a little bit with tanks? (hopefully some german tanks be also involved :)

Great update! I can feel the heat of the summer!

Love your flying, Han.

Like Finkeren I'm also a bit torn about the tanks, but if you got free resources and people that just sit around doing nothing, then go for it, but don't forget that we would like to see more types of bombs, raindrops, a flyable Ju-52, blah blah. :-)

Love your work, Team!

• Upvote 1

I love the campaign cinematics, the Emil video and I am particularly blown away by the T-34 video :biggrin:

The tank interior looks great as are the sounds, the sight looks very good too and I'm in love with the bumpy tank suspension rolling over the fields.

I think a lively ground war is essential to a proper World War 2 simulator, even more so in the Eastern Front where the air forces were flying strictly in coordination with the armies (as opposed to Western Europe where from mid-1940 to mid-1944 there were no large troop engagements). Giving players the option to go on the ground and taking active part in it adds a whole new dimension to it. Suddenly we'll be able to see tanks and ground units as not only targets but full operational units that players can coordinate their actions with. Think of the multiplayer potential of pinning down an enemy tank and AT gun detachment with aircraft while another player brings a pack of tanks around to flank and destroy the enemy position :ph34r:

The E-7 looks quite nice with that camo, it looks fairly agile as well. Might be a fun alternative to the F-series to fight with.

The inclusion of tank(s) is not too suprising for people datascanning their clients (bunch of T-34 sound files were in there for months now) but rather that this move has been taken now. It also seemed less likely due to earlier announcements when BoS was requested to feauture tanks, which was sayed to not happen "because this is a game about airplanes, not tanks". Anyway I guess it's an interesting feauture (or even a game expansion) to offer more variety and appealment to non-plane enthusiasts if developed further. And it's another big reason to increase player numbers in MP, of course :)

I'm cuious how tanks are intendet to work in our current MP envirounment though and I hope the concept of combined arms to work out well (unlike in some other game).

I'm cuious how tanks are intendet to work in our current MP envirounment though and I hope the concept of combined arms to work out well (unlike in some other game).

We'll with the complexity of the Mission Editor, we can propably use the tanks more or less however we like. An obvious choice would be to use tanks to capture and hold objectives on the map as part of an ongoing ground war, that will lead to air fields becoming inactive or changing hands, something we now have to do solely through completing supply flights and destroying ground targets.

If done right it could really make MP extremely lively (especially once we get to 100 player servers) as it'll make it much more important to actively provide cover for your ground forces who have to directly assault the objective and not simply rush to destroy the enemy ground targets before they destroy yours.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

Nice update... ! Is that a female pilot I see there or a child? The tanks are interesting.. That would be a nice addition IMO.. just the option to do something else.. no need for an elaborate ground operation.. Just being able to touch on a land war in a pure sim is a great idea IMO.. The swaying grass ... the smoothness of it all... the sounds.... the look and overall texture.. FANTASTIC !!

I'd say that is actually a pretty derned good looking update video wise... Not bad for an "old outdated graphics engine.." ;)

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Bravo Han!

It could be really a strategic decision the inclusion of tanks in IL2, considering how is going on the market in this time with tanks, but without a real sim enviroment.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

We'll with the complexity of the Mission Editor, we can propably use the tanks more or less however we like. An obvious choice would be to use tanks to capture and hold objectives on the map as part of an ongoing ground war, that will lead to air fields becoming inactive or changing hands, something we now have to do solely through completing supply flights and destroying ground targets.

A multiplayer Tatsinskaya raid scenario springs to mind. Either way, this looks like guaranteed fun to me, and using this feature in the Battle of Moscow, Rzhev and other future scenarios will be awesome too :)

Dear Dev team

Tanks do not fly.

This is a flight sim.

WTF?

Regards!

Customer

Alternatively I imaging rolling up a newspaper and smacking someone on the nose saying 'no, no! Bad dev, bad! What have we told you about stupid warthunder-esque ground vehicles? Bad dev!'

• Upvote 4

1.104 coming to beta, good news! Ground contact, near ground aerodynamic, surface type and 84 server sound great too!

About the tanks, some might find it cool so why not. And as a tank buster, I'd like too see it coming with enhanced damaged model for ground vehicules! :)

Edited by PA-Sniv

amazing update and so unexpected as this stage.

The E-7 looks great, the screen shots look fantastic, personally I'm not a fan of the crew-able tanks but if it brings in more players and expands the franchise then I'm all for it. (as long as it doesn't divert resource from the amazing job you're doing on the aircraft).

Cheers again.

Dear Dev team

Tanks do not fly.

This is a flight sim.

WTF?

Regards!

Customer

Alternatively I imaging rolling up a newspaper and smacking someone on the nose saying 'no, no! Bad dev, bad! What have we told you about stupid warthunder-esque ground vehicles? Bad dev!'

This sounds like a rather radical position and backward. The addition of tanks will give new life to this game and open up broad strategic possibilities, not to mention the fun of fighting friends who are inside the tanks !!!

• Upvote 10

Tank video is pretty awesome, it really opens up a vast amount of options for missions. Well done.

Mick. :):russian_ru:

• Upvote 2

Sure, I meant more in detail like how and where tanks do spawn, which players are allowed to drive tanks, multicrew option (requires a whole bunch of more players), comunication between air and ground players and vise versa ect. Such feautures have great impact on how this might play out. And it's obvious I mention those points due to another famous game failing badly at all of them ruining the whole combined arms implementation.

It has plenty of time to grow though so I'm not too worried now. Also i hope to see a Pz.Kpfw.IV in future to fight against those T-34s.

Just to let the developer knows, not EVERYONE are against Tanks, personally I think this could be the one

doing it right. I have WT on my computer and they are not doing it right for one second. Small ass tank maps

with planes spawning right in the combat area...plus the maps themselves feel unrealistic in design, no thanks

but THIS in BOS/BoM I can get onboard.

Edited by Sturmnoob
  • Upvote 4

Devs,

Thank you for the inclusion of tanks. I do think it will bring in more customers and expand battlefield scenarios.

Well done!

• Upvote 1

Great pics, but the tanks? I mean it looks great, but I couldn't be less interested in a tank sim....

Great pics, but the tanks? I mean it looks great, but I couldn't be less interested in a tank sim....

A few drivable vehicles in a flight sim does not a tank sim make.

I'll stay positive and view this as a little side project to liven up MP, until we have more details.

Edited by Finkeren

I think you can still fly a plane if you want you too.... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Did you notic that not all T 34's are carriing radios?

• Upvote 1

Hurrah, POV physics!!! But where's the POV physics during recoil? Would love to see that kind of thing in the cockpit and turrets someday...still think the effects need some love though. +1 for useable flak! 

If there will be T34 obraz goda 42 ,you will not see me in a cockpit of an airplane anytime soon :P

Looking awesome. Great news its in Beta now. Hopefully not too much showstoppers show up so we all can fly in summer very soon.

Regarding the Tanks. It looks great. Even thou tanks dont bother me in regards of wanting to pilot one.

My guess is that its either an alternate product made to gerate additional revenue and runs parallel to BOS OR its meant to become part of BOS. Just like Warthunder has its tank part and aircrafts and even battleships. If its so i am not sure if thats a good thing.

84 players is a big plus! Very good news and the diffrent groundhandling is also absolutely awesome. Hopefully puts an end to people starting 90°  across the runway. A plus for immersion.

Edited by Winger
  • Upvote 3

I think you can still fly a plane if you want you too.... :rolleyes:

No, but developing tanks instead of planes is definitely bad news for me. OK, if it's 1 driveable tank per side, then yeah, it can be fun. But I hope they won't put any more effort in it than that. 

Maybe it's the prelude for "Il2: Battle of Kursk"?

Great update, with many potentially important features, will that physics code improvement/optimization also help SP performance?

Like many I am initially in two minds about tanks, however, if they do not detract from aviation developement i cant really see a downside, so i guess a big + 1  (with that caveat)

Looking forward to the T-34 is overmodelled and Pzfw IV does not get a 'cold air ' performance boost, and where is our Tiger 1 !!  threads ;)  :lol:

Cheers Dakpilot

​

• Upvote 2

Uh, Tank Sim, this looks very intriguing to me :)

IF done right. With proper missions and well tied in to MP this could be a game changer...

Cool!

• Upvote 1