Sign in to follow this  
SharpeXB

Add a Gamma Setting Test Screen

Many games include a test pattern screen to help the player set the correct level.

It has an image with a Video White background plus a contrasting Just-Below White symbol.

And a Video Black background plus a Just-Above Black symbol.

With all the subtlety inherent in seeing distant aircraft and identifying white ground targets against the snow, such a screen would be a big help for players to get their monitor set correctly.

• Upvote 1

To set it properly you need a test image instead of game footage.

coconut created something here

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18670-altering-gamma/?p=293434

This gets confusing because the "gamma" setting on your monitor doesn't control the black and white levels. That should be Brightness and Contrast and sometimes those don't function like they should.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if the "gamma" you set in some games has anything to do with the real video setting.

Like the example in referring to in most games that have this test pattern. That's really adjusted with Brightness and Contrast. Not "gamma" afaik

On a television, that grey ramp pattern above is for setting the Contrast.

Brightness is set with a pattern called "Pluge" shown below

If the Brightness control is functioning correctly the below-black line should be made to dissapear. My computer monitor doesn't work this way though. It's brightness setting has no effect on the pattern.

Maybe television works differently or PC monitors just aren't as sophisticated. My Sony HDTV will do this correctly.

post-1189-0-35205900-1445006676_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SharpeXB

My mission is poorly named. It's actually for adjusting brightness and contrast. If someone has a freely usable gamma test pattern, let me know and I'll add it.

I suppose the gamma setting in the game (and in other places, such as the NVidia control panel) is a gamma modifier, not the gamma value itself. 1.0 as default would be too low, apparently PC monitors are meant to be used with gamma 2.2.

My pc monitor does not look like it has a gamma adjustment only brightness/contrast and RGB

My screen has a number of discrete values for gamma ranging from 1 to 5, which I don't think correspond to the actual numerical value. The manual says the default value (3) is the standard expected by Windows. You are probably better off not touching the gamma of your screen, even if you could. Brightness and contrast, on the other hand, should be adjusted on the screen.