LukeFF

P-40E-1 Cockpit Diagram and Engine Operating Limits

Max continuous power: 39.5" at 2600 rpm
Max combat power: 43.5" at 2600 rpm, 30-minute limit
Emergency power: 50"+ at 3000 rpm, 1-2-minute limit

Cruise: 28" at 2200 rpm

Note: 2600 rpm is the max "safe limit" for your engine. Pushing it above 2600 rpm will put the engine into Emergency Mode, regardless of your manifold pressure.

Mixture: 4 distinct positions: Full Rich, Auto Rich, Auto Lean, and Idle Cutoff. Even though the mixture lever can move anywhere up and down the quadrant, these are the only four settings in use. The “next” mixture setting, when moving the lever from the 0% position, becomes active when the lever reaches the relevant marker on the throttle quadrant.

Auto Rich is the setting one will want to use almost all of the time. Full Rich, in reality, was meant to be used only in case of mechanical failure and is far less fuel-efficient than Auto Rich. Full engine power can be reached with the Auto Rich setting, so just set it there and leave it be.

Radiator: manually controlled with outlet cowl flap control

Supercharger: single stage, single-speed. Nothing to adjust.

Trim: full trim available for pitch, roll, and yaw

Tailwheel: non-lockable by the player

post-549-0-84173800-1443533541_thumb.png

:)

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 21

Thank you Luke.

Have you figured out how the radiators works?

Thanks for reminding me of that! I've updated the first post.

• Upvote 1

Max continuous power: 39.5”

Combat power: 43.5”, 30 minute limit

i.e. this boost without 3000 rpm has 30 min. limit?

I just find your guide and this explains why I was blowing the engines so fast. I was flying all the time with incorrect rpm settings. Thanks for sharing this.

Regards,

Peter

i.e. this boost without 3000 rpm has 30 min. limit?

Correct, it has a 30-minute limit without 3000 rpm.

Sorry for my english, but how this:

Max continuous power: 39.5”

Combat power: 43.5”, 30 minute limit

Emergency power: 45.5”, 5 minute limit

corresponding with shield from P-40 cockpit?

post-10097-0-94601100-1443626411_thumb.jpg

1/2 hour limit for manifold pressure 37 inches and 2600 rpm, not 43.

Does it have an automatic boost control or do you need to manually adjust throttle whenever altitude or rpm change in order to maintain proper boosts?

Really appreciate the info!

Nice surprise when I came home and saw an update had download. I know what I'm going to be flying later ;)

This is great info - thanks

Am I reading right on screen, when I hit comma (I think) it says parking brake released??

Correct, the parking brakes are set when starting from the tarmac. Tapping your wheel brakes releases them.

Sorry for my english, but how this:

corresponding with shield from P-40 cockpit?

1/2 hour limit for manifold pressure 37 inches and 2600 rpm, not 43.

Well, you can always see if I'm wrong. :) I'm just going off what technochat says when I move the throttle up and down.

Does it have an automatic boost control or do you need to manually adjust throttle whenever altitude or rpm change in order to maintain proper boosts?

It's automatic. No idea if that's final though.

• Upvote 1

If you keep the mixture set to Auto Rich, there's nothing else to worry about.

Edited by LukeFF

When I press the cannon/second weapons grouping on my joystick I hear a clicking noise. 

Is that supposed to do something?

When I press the cannon/second weapons grouping on my joystick I hear a clicking noise. 

Is that supposed to do something?

Probably not. I'll send it up as a bug.

Just tested RPM 3000 limit.  Was able to run 3000 for over 10 minutes no problems.  Got bored and played with manual pp and blew engine.  

Is this what you mean 3000 limit with manual pp?  In auto it seems you can run 100% (3000 RPM) with no mal-effects.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks. If it is final, I wonder why it has an ABC.

Well, you can always see if I'm wrong. :) I'm just going off what technochat says when I move the throttle up and down.

All documents about F3R engine says that mainfold pressure is 37 inches of mercury for half hour limit. Аnd when technochat says something other, my conclusion - error in technochat

My goal is not to prove that you are wrong, but to draw attention to an error in the engine operating modes.

Just tested RPM 3000 limit. Was able to run 3000 for over 10 minutes no problems. Got bored and played with manual pp and blew engine.

Good testing, thanks! I think the key here is what boost pressure one uses with 3000rpm. I also just ran my own test, with the boost at 30" and the rpm at 3000. I also was able to run at this power with no ill effects (presumably for 30 minutes). It's when the plane gets up above 40" that the 5-minute time limit kicks in.

With all that in mind, I'll update my first post accordingly.

All documents about F3R engine says that mainfold pressure is 37 inches of mercury for half hour limit. Аnd when technochat says something other, my conclusion - error in technochat

My goal is not to prove that you are wrong, but to draw attention to an error in the engine operating modes. 

Yeah, something may be amiss. I will ask the guys for clarification. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks. If it is final, I wonder why it has an ABC.

What is an "ABC"?

I know its the first 3 letters of the alphabet but it sure must mean something else here.

:salute: 

I spelled it out in the post before - automatic boost control. It's a mechanism that keeps manifold pressure constant in changing environmental conditions, mostly pressure. In aircraft without ABC, the pilot needs to constantly adjust the throttle when changing altitude in order to maintain a constant manifold pressure, since as altitude is changing, so is outside pressure, and so is manifold pressure..

There is possibility to switch small lever on left bottom side of front panel for auto/manual rpm (?) control.I think it is set to manual when starting the plane.When I set it to auto,does it mean that I only need to use throttle lever and rpms will be adjusted automaticly according MP ? Maybe a stupid question,but Im kind of lost with this engine operation.Klimov and shvecov are much easier to operate for me  :)

There is possibility to switch small lever on left bottom side of front panel for auto/manual rpm (?) control.I think it is set to manual when starting the plane.When I set it to auto,does it mean that I only need to use throttle lever and rpms will be adjusted automaticly according MP ? Maybe a stupid question,but Im kind of lost with this engine operation.Klimov and shvecov are much easier to operate for me  :)

No ! In Curtiss/Allison talk all "Auto" means is Constant Speed. You need to set the required RPM and then the Constant speed unit will maintain that RPM.

In manual you are selected blade angle directly without any governing.... i.e no constant speed.

Later models of the P40 ... like the N had an interconnect between the throttle and Pitch lever so moving the the throttle selected a corresponding prop lever position therfore RPM appropriate to the demanded boost.

Hmm,weird.I remember from yesterdays flying,when I switched to auto and left RPM lever at 0 position I still could increase decrease RPM and MP with only throttle lever.Maybe Im wrong,it was late night...

The propeller governor just takes more time to adjust the RPM when changing manifold pressure, which i guess has something to do with the electric propeller. Most (all?) other planes in BoS/BoM have hydraulic propellers.

With the propeller control system, keep in mind the manual/fixed pitch system was only for emergencies. So, the player should almost always be using the constant speed system.

The propeller governor just takes more time to adjust the RPM when changing manifold pressure, which i guess has something to do with the electric propeller. Most (all?) other planes in BoS/BoM have hydraulic propellers.

Yep thats actually a credit to the modelling. Few P40's restored today have stuck with Electric CSU's for that very reason. Most have elcted to go for Hydraulic CSU's. A P40F here in Australia has been restored with Electric CSU. Talking to one of its current pilots who is current on this "F" and also an  "E" with Hydraulic CSU is quite interesting. His opinion on the Electric CSU is not flattering due to its "sloppy" response time and failure modes.

OK,so it is like that.Keep that lever in Auto and use both throttle and proppitch/rpm whatever lever to set correct engine setup for continuous and emergency and such.Roger that.

PS:

It is the worst AC soviet have in their arsenal.I think ishak can do better up in the air :biggrin: No wonder they were primarly sent to PVO and secondary fronts.2 Kittyhawk regiments were wiped out over Stalingrad in matter of 2 weeks in September 1942 and later reequipped with La5.

It is the worst AC soviet have in their arsenal.I think ishak can do better up in the air :biggrin: No wonder they were primarly sent to PVO and secondary fronts.2 Kittyhawk regiments were wiped out over Stalingrad in matter of 2 weeks in September 1942 and later reequipped with La5.

As a fighter it is completely unsuitable for the Eastern Front anno 1942/43, no doubt. Its one redeeming quality might be that it's easier to keep the engine cool in Summer :cool:

As a ground pounder it certainly has its uses, and as a straight-up bomber killer it does the job, if you start with an energy advantage.

I hope the next installment of this sim will bring us a P-39N or Q. That plane surely has both the speed, the climb rate and the armament to mix it up with any mid-war LW fighter.

Best thing the Yanks ever did for the VVS :biggrin:

I did some flying with hellokitty yesterday online on WOL server.Cannon fodder is the right name for this plane.I switched back to my LaGG-3.It can do everything much better ;)

But it could certainly have its place in SP campaign dedicated for PVO fighter pilot.Or later,when we will have Leningrad/gulf of Finland map,it could do some fight against FiAF brewsters, fiats and morkos  :biggrin:

I really like the P-40 but have not managed to fly well in multiplayer mode. thanks for the data LukeFF  :)

Any more info in the tailwheel other than "Non-lockable"?

DakPilot mentioned some rotation limiter or such in another thread and I was wondering if this might be stick activated (if it is present at all)???