Sign in to follow this  
PatrickAWlson

AI Takeoff

Getting not very good results getting AI to take off from a field (Stukas).  The takeoff goes fine and leads to a waypoint straight ahead, 10km away and 1500 meters high.  The idea is to give a nice, easy path to the first WP off the runway.

What happens next is the leader moves towards the WP but does not climb.  The wingman, responding to a formation command, wants to be offset to the side and below the leader.  As the wingman maneuvers for position he does so in relation to the leader.  Since the leader is only about 50 meters off the ground the maneuvers of the wingman cause him to lose altitude and crash into the ground.  

Tried lighter loads.  Tried formation echelon right, echelon left, and formation none.  

Really comes to this - why is the leader skimming 50 meters above the ground a full minute after takeoff?  If he would just climb a bit the rest of the formation would be OK.  Anybody out there getting better results with different techniques? 

It seems like the Stukas have a pretty shallow takeoff angle, especially at the beginning.

I just did a test and it seems like they take a little to climb but they do go up.

Do your planes behave like this?

Takeoff.zip

It seems like the Stukas have a pretty shallow takeoff angle, especially at the beginning.

I just did a test and it seems like they take a little to climb but they do go up.

Do your planes behave like this?

Thanks for posting.  Yeah, that's pretty much the same sequence that I use except that I add a command formation, which is part but not all of the problem.  I'm not looking for an Me163 rate of climb, just for the leader (who inevitably survives) to get above 50 meters.  Anyhow, I'll keep plugging

Make sure that the speed at the first waypoint is lower than the cruising speed of th Stukas. The AI seems to prioritise gaining speed over gaining height.

The MCUs formation in aircraft brings back too many problems, so do not use it and everything goes well

The MCUs formation in aircraft brings back too many problems, so do not use it and everything goes well

I would rather say, : don't use it until Stukas are at both cruising speed and height. Wait for the second waypoint for instance.

I just had a bit of success.  Got 4 Stukas into the air without loss.  What I did was add a WP right over the field at 200 meters with only a 50 meter activation zone.  This caused the Stukas to circle back and climb for the WP.  I also delayed the formation timer for 60 seconds after takeoff.  It worked ... barely, but it did work.  On a different field it is entirely possible that an obstacle will trash the entire flight, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it