Sign in to follow this  
Frequent_Flyer

Waypoint Issues

When starting " in air " I cannot get the flight to travel to the next waypoint. I use a mission begin translator and a formation commant and trigger timer , but the aircraft just endlessly circle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a target link to the first waypoint?

Translator:Mission beginn -> Timer -> Waypoint1

...and an object link from all of the waypoints to the formation leader.

Use multiple timers to make sure the the aircraft isn't receiving multiple commands at the same time. There should be at least 2 seconds between the waypoint activating and the formation command.

Also, make sure your waypoints are large enough for the planes to find them (200m works fine). If you use a small size, sometimes planes will miss the waypoint and circle around, trying to find it.

Thanks for your assistance, I did get the flights to follow the waypoints including the landing back at base. However, the " attack area command " was not followed. It is a bit frustrating, since I do follow Prangster  excellent guide. ( Although I must be missing something ).

Can you post your mission or provide a screenshot of the setup and the attack area advanced properties?

a command object needs to know that you will use, so the command links with the lead plane.

attackZonw -> ObjectLink -> plane

Jim,

I am unaware how to post mission. However, I have figured out the " attack" issue You must eliminate the " target " to the outbound waypoint. Now my issue is : after the attack, the flight circles the area endlessly. I have opened other's missions for guidance ,however there is such a tangle red ,green and blue line,s it's like trying to defuse a bomb. I use a trigger timer on the inbound way point set for 30 seconds , shouldn't this activate the final( outbound) waypoint and move the flight along after 30 seconds on target ?

FF,

You can try Dropbox or another online free archive site to post your mission. Dropbox provides a link for a file that you upload and you can post that link to the forum.

I think that you may be able to object link a force complete command to the attacking plane and trigger the force complete command from the 30 second timer. You would need another timer (say, 2 seconds) to wait for the force complete and then trigger the outbound waypoint. The force complete command would complete the last command that the object received, i.e., attack area.

inbound waypoint---->----30s---->----force complete---->----plane

|                                                      |

------>----2s--------->---------------outbound waypoint

Hopefully, I'm not completely out to lunch on this  :-)

Cheers!

I think most people use a lot of trial and error. It's great when - finally - something works - you find the missing piece of the jigsaw, or the clever workaround.

For instance,  I still have a problem (for instance) in getting more than two AI aircraft to maintain formation without crashing into each other. I'm sure it's me, but I still haven't solved it. My work-around? Lots of two-aircraft mini-formations. The mission starts to look complex (which is good! - and you can group them anyway), and with copying and pasting being so easy in the ME, it's easy to do.

FF,

You can try Dropbox or another online free archive site to post your mission. Dropbox provides a link for a file that you upload and you can post that link to the forum.

I think that you may be able to object link a force complete command to the attacking plane and trigger the force complete command from the 30 second timer. You would need another timer (say, 2 seconds) to wait for the force complete and then trigger the outbound waypoint. The force complete command would complete the last command that the object received, i.e., attack area.

inbound waypoint---->----30s---->----force complete---->----plane

|                                                      |

------>----2s--------->---------------outbound waypoint

Hopefully, I'm not completely out to lunch on this  :-)

Cheers!

Thanks for the help. I finally have it somewhat figured out.  If I attack the flight of Stuka's prior to their target , they take  evasive action ( as expected) . However, they will not drop their ordnance, but head for home base fully loaded. They do not head for home when significantly damaged either ( I have the " on damage event " correctly applied.

Glad to help Frequent_Flyer.

FYI: There is an "AI Return to Base Decision" in the planes advanced properties. If you select this option, the plane is supposed to RTB when it is critically damaged (50% damage) or when it runs out of ammunition. In my experience, this functionality does not appear to work for critical damage (not sure about the "no ammo" scenario).

Jim

Does BOS have a feature allowing me to request a vector to home base, i.e IL-2 1946. I noticed a radio beacon in  " objects" what does it do ?

To use a radio beacon, do the following:

1. Place vehicle object "ndb" (non-directional beacon) on or near an airfield and make it a linked entity.

2. In the Advanced Properties, set Country to the friendly pilot's country, Beacon channel to 1, and other fields according to your requirements.

3. Place an icon translator near the beacon and do the following in the advanced properties:
    - In the Coalitions table, set the friendly coalitions to True and the enemy coalitions to False.
    - Set the name and the other advanced properties appropriately.

Note:
- With multiple friendly beacons, the pilot's radio detects the closest one.
- Enemy pilots cannot home in on a friendly beacon.
- You can place a friendly beacon in enemy territory. For example, you could create a clandestine transmitter near a target.

You have to have a homing radio set (such as the Russian RPK-10) installed in your plane. Not all planes have them. Some planes, such as the He-111 and Pe-2, carry the homing set by default. For other planes, such as the Yak-1, you have to select the set in the plane setup page. I think Luke's BoS Guide has a section on using homing radios and I know Chuck's guides include these sections.

Cheers!

Edited by JimTM