Sign in to follow this  
Bert_Foster

Lufwaffe Artifical horizon Precession modelling

Luftwaffe AH precession as modelled in BOS.

Issue 1
The AH in Luftwaffe aircraft in BOS exhibits to much precession that in effect renders it useless as an instrument flying reference.
If you start wings level with the AH correctly indicating and roll in to a turn of even 10 degrees angle of bank you can see the Horizon line lag the turn.
It then takes a number of seconds to catch up to show any bank. This behaviour is incorrect Bank should be shown instantly.

Issue 2
The second issue is the Gyro precession shown in the BOS AH. The AH again shows excessive roll errors after rolling out of a turn.
Again this is incorrect. WWII AH will show some precession after a sustained turn through 180degrees or more. Typically this precession
will show up as a minor pitch error (maybe 5 degrees) that will be fixed after a few seconds straight and level.

In general terms smooth typical instrument flight manoeuvres like +-10 degrees in pitch and say 20degrees angle of bank are so mild that little if any precession
would be noticeable. This allows the AH to be used as the primary instrument refrence.

HIGH G
High G manoeuvring should result in gross errors. that's why these instruments could be caged using the circular verge ring around the AH.
The one labelled FEST.

I believe than a lot of artificial horizons are flawed. For me both the Heinkel's and the 109's behave the same (As you said they are absolutely useless for blind flight)

What is strange is that I don't have any problem playing offline, in a quick mission : everything is fine (including in the messerschmitt). But when online, it is a different totally different matter.

What I personally experience is :

This does not happen in offline quick mission, airborne start

This does happen on Wings of Liberty server (parking start).

What should be tested is :

- Do this occur offline when starting on the ground, engines off ?

- Do this occur online when starting airborne ?

- Do this occur on every server ?

Good points I get I get it in the 109 both On line and Off line. I have only tested the HEIII off line and it works just fine.... will test On line.

Just tested HEIII On line .... Artifical horizon has identical precession/lag issues as on the BF109. So Rechecked  the 109's On line and Off line.

BF109G2 AH is only affected ON Line as well.

BF109G2 AH bugged ON line okay OFF line

HEIII AH bugged ON line okay OFF line.

So there is something in the on line code causing the bug .....  Should be raised to BUG status imo.

Edited by Bert_Foster

OK Update on the situation, After Han's answer in the devs question thread, I wanted to check if it was still a problem after 1.105 And yes it is.

Now a major thing is that in fact it is not related to online/offline playing at all :

The problem come from the fact that in a parking spawn with engine shut down, there only the AH does not function normally and this both for online and offline play, and regardless of the difficulty settings.

The artificial horizon behaves normally if the plane spawns with the engine already running, be it on the runway or airborne.

I guess the slow movement mode simulating when the gyro is gaining speed during the startup procedure is still running after the engine is operationnal.

You can check this by yourself very easily : Quick mission with a 109G2 or He111, start on runway. Take off and see how the AH behaves normally, then same mission with start on parking, take off and compare.

• Upvote 1

The problem come from the fact that in a parking spawn with engine shut down, there only the AH does not function normally and this both for online and offline play, and regardless of the difficulty settings.

That's a very good find. Should be a relatively simple fix then.

Yep, I just tested something else : If you spawn with the engine running, cut it off and restart it, the AH still behaves like it should.

The plane really have to spawn with the engine off for the bug to show up.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber