BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part I

Hello! Hopefully this will become a tradition, and we regularly will answer some of your questions on Fridays. It's nice that the information that the project will be developed, has already attracted many users on the forum. Of course, we still have no enough materials to interested core audience, and work just started, but we think that we have gathered here the most interesting and enthusiastic people, so you are interested in everything that happens. So be it.

We say at once that we will answer the questions slowly, choosing only some of them, but regularly. Therefore, we ask that you remain comfortable with the fact that some questions may remain unanswered, even a long time. This means we are simply not prepared to answer it.

Full news

• Upvote 2

As the bunch of folks that I fly with are primarily concerned with ground attack, my question is will the new sim have better representation of ground objects, both in quality and especially quantity than Rise of Flight currently does?

The scale of mechanized warfare in the Great Patriotic War was vast,  can the new engine support it?

Thanks and all the best.

I am a surprised, that the time scale of BoS will start with Operation Uranus and not with the initial German advance on the city, that was supported by massive air attacks. An earlier start would require a summer/autumn version of the map, but I guess this shouldn't be too complicated, given the fact, that the ROF map has different seasons too.

If I've got Jasons point right there are plans to build only one (winter) map.

Thanks !

I love the regular friday updates !

Juri, I think it's because of the planeset. An earlier setting would imply to model more planes. If BoS follows the RoF model, we should get earlier planes and automn map soon after the original release (lucky guess I know  :P ).

Juri, I think it's because of the planeset. An earlier setting would imply to model more planes.

I don't think so. As far as I know the plane types didn't changed much between August and November 1942.

Maybe the reason is the amount of work to create the textures for a summer version of the map. Nonetheless, I think it would be worth the effort, because it would allow a larger variety of possible mission scenarios, for example I am thinking about the massive attacks by Luftwaffe bombers on Stalingrad in late August and the desperate defense by the VVS.

The plane model looks excellent!

That's because it's imported from the stillborn BoM.

Good thing is it shows that 3D models can apparently be imported from CloD/BoM.

Delighted to see the reintroduction of Friday updates- it gives many of us a reason to visit the website for the next year while the sim is being developed.

BTW This is what i so appreciated from studio777 when they took over RoF...basically a fiendly PR savy group of people that understood its fan base.

Guys,

Glad you enjoy receiving news from Loft. Just a warning though. It won't be every Friday especially during the Holiday season. It will be as often as we can.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Other than having more detailed A/C models, updated effects visuals, and a bigger Stalingrad map, I'm wondering what BoS will offer over 1946 in terms of user experience.

• Upvote 1

"No's" limit expectations, which is good, as they've only given themselves just over a year to get something workable to us. It sounds very much like they want to bring us the bones of a sim as soon as they can, and will flesh it out later on over time. Regular RoF users will know that the team can also be full of surprises though! It all seems good to me so far.

I'm not sure if this applies (ROF), but will weapon modifiactions, other than optional loads, be offered as well? Ammo types ... etc

"Now we can fairly be said that the aircraft will be at least ten, and among them will be fighters, attack planes and bombers of the Soviet Union and Germany"

I don't suppose he means 10 flyables? Or is it a mix of AI controlled and flyables.

Its ok when it works.It does go down, on occasion, then you can't fly online, and (I think?) you have problems with career offline as well.but maybe they can work on it a bit, as it will be a lot more stressed with the numbers of people playing in BoS.

Hmmm.  I'd like to know more about the cockpit being "more 1946" in controls.  COD is fantastic in that you have to manage your engine and run clean for best performance,  I would prefer a more complicated startup involving pumping the K-gas primer and hitting magnetos.  I really want to see more than "engine overheat" after running WEP for a little too long and those made up temps and boost pressures.  The COD customers really like that best of all, that's why they don't return to 1946 and why they usually stick to one type.

• Upvote 1

I'm not concerned about aircraft and cockpit quality.  ROF has very high quality modelling in this respect and I have faith that BOS (or rather "IL2: 6th Army Surrender"  ;) ) will too.  I am referring to operating the machine, the mechanical aspects.  I'm not worried about cockpit clickables because frankly that's hard to manage whilst flying but I do want to have proper systems to manage, ones that function.  In my COD Hurricane if I go to max RPM and power without enough airspeed the needles fly up and something blows.  In 1946 I would just get a HUD message and n minutes before a new engine sound file is played to me.  The latter is old tech, no good anymore.  I don't think that will happen, but getting close to the former should be a goal.

for better or worse it really sounds like BoS will Efectivley be a better looking IL2 1946.

for better or worse it really sounds like BoS will Efectivley be a better looking IL2 1946.

If it is a better looking 1946 with better CEM and more potential then that is fine AFAIC.. I was just now able to get CoD to even run on my system.. WT is ok.. but I don't see it being my prinmarey sim.. WoP could have been great if Gaijin had not been in gamer mode..  The DCS P-51 is great.. but it's just a P-51.....  I STILL enjoy 46 immensely. Foe me warts and all it is stilla very well balanced versatile product.. I can go from the ETO to the Med .. to the BoB to the fall of the Reich.. and beyond... If BoS has the potential to do that in a few years... then I am in with both feet.

A measured, gradual development is a good idea. Biting off more than you can chew wont help anyone.

On the subject of cockpits, the RoF ones look fine to me and if the BoS cockpits have a similar quality, I'll be quite satisfied.

• Upvote 1

A measured, gradual development is a good idea. Biting off more than you can chew wont help anyone.

On the subject of cockpits, the RoF ones look fine to me and if the BoS cockpits have a similar quality, I'll be quite satisfied.

Same.    CloD gave us lux cockpits and then fell over.  RoF pits are beautiful actually . 

This is ROF's Spad 13 cockpit, aka the very first one modeled for the game. If that doesn't look good, then I dunno what does:

post-549-0-66553000-1355544645_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

You should give the free version of RoF a go Doggles. If WW1 aviation isn't your bag, at least check it out to see how the launcher and delivery system works. It might put your mind at rest a bit. It might even turn out to be fun. :)

• Upvote 4

Just an old demo video about what RoF models, to see the *starting point* of what to expect from BoS (for those who didn't play ROF) :

• Upvote 3

Laser those old neoqb videos about the physics and the damage models, if I remember right, was the first thing that hook me up to RoF. Great stuff, I just can imagine that level of detail (one of the things RoF does better) bringed to a WWII plane.

This is ROF's Spad 13 cockpit, aka the very first one modeled for the game. If that doesn't look good, then I dunno what does:

attachicon.gifCockpit.png

I know I am going to get hated on for this but I don't care...

Look at my attachment... that is the level of detail that I expect from any flight sim since 2011, they have already said its not going to happen for BOS and I really hope that we get something closer to COD than BOS but don't show me a pic of a ROF cockpit and expect me to fall in line I own ROF I enjoy ROF but in terms of the cockpits they have nothing on COD  :(

post-42-0-44590500-1355573609_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dont you hate me Krupi, but I still like RoF ones more. Just a matter of taste I guess.

I have no problem with when someone elses opinion differs from my own, even if said person needs to get some glasses.. :P

I'am kidding  ;) To be honest am looking forward to what 777 does with a ww2 cockpit BUT it NEEDS to have a damage model!!!

Edited by JG52Krupi

Well as we like to say, past is past. These is a new sim and forums, maybe they are just being normal, not a mad man who buyed something they didnt like (agains, just a matter of taste).

attachicon.gifCockpit.png

Let's just recap.  I never complained about cockpits in ROF or BOS, I commented on the operation of the machine, the CEM, because there is a quote from the lead dev for BOS that says "like 1946".  In fact I went out of my way to say this because somebody got the wrong end of the stick,  yet even after this some people are getting the wrong end of the stick.  I can't see how I could have written anything more clearly tbh.

The cockpits in CloD are gorgeous. But the cockpits in RoF are not that far off. It's difficult to compare, since the WW1 planes haven't that many dials, knobs and levers. I'm not worrying about the BoS cockpits at all...

Yeah  I agree, sometimes people just forget that both sims represent 2 totally different eras. Not worry here either...

IL2-1946 with HSFX has some great cockpits too, but none of them come close to CLOD even when they are representing the exact same aircraft. I fly IL21946 very often, even more than Clod because of Ghost Skies online war, I really like some of the modded cockpits in IL2, and still CLOD is way better.
So talking about IL21946 style cockpits is talking of going several steps back.

The cockpits in ROf look beautiful also, but are not close to the quality in COD. As Loft said it takes too much time and resources to do something of that level.

I have to agree that the lack of cockpit damage in RoF is a pretty big immersion killer.

Honestly, these are wood and linen kites with a bit of metal at the front and a meat servo at the controls, and that is it.

Yet, you can hose down the cockpits with .303" rounds from point blank range and nothing is touched.  Come on, that's unacceptable in a "simulation" built today.

I know some of you guys have real world firearms experience.  Ever seen a rifle caliber round in the .30" and above range that would not splinter/destroy a piece of wood?

I know I am going to get hated on for this but I don't care...

Look at my attachment... that is the level of detail that I expect from any flight sim since 2011, they have already said its not going to happen for BOS and I really hope that we get something closer to COD than BOS but don't show me a pic of a ROF cockpit and expect me to fall in line I own ROF I enjoy ROF but in terms of the cockpits they have nothing on COD  :(

Maybe a Tigermoth's cockpit is more close to that of WWI aircrafts.

Test for a Attach pic:

post-343-0-07663200-1355586329_thumb.jpg

I love this water. :)

Edited by billeinstein