Blitzen

Can Coop missions be flown in SP mode?

If so how.Currently I have the new Coop missions in Multiplayer/dogfight folder , but I have no idea if they can be played in a SP mode or how to choose sides , aircraft, etc Can it be done & have all the action basically AI? In the old Il-2 you could - I'm not sure if it is possible here...can some kind soul enlighten me ?

To play in SP you would need to, minimally:

1) Open the mission in the editor

2) change it's type to Single Player from Dogfight  ( wording may be slightly different )

3) add a entitied aircraft as "Player" <-- this is set where you set AI skill in the plane's advanced properties.

4) Save it in ./data/Missions

Lemmie know if you have any questions. caveat, some multiplayer missions may have triggered situations that count on multiplayer aircraft entering zones etc.

You can fly coop-style MP missions alone, if you want. How successful the mission would be would obviously depend on how the mission builder had put it together. On Tuesday we flew a coop-style mission by one of our mission building boffins which included a mechanism through which some AI despawned if a certain threshold of human players spawned in. It seemed to work very well. Satisfyingly massive furball with humans and AI on both sides. Good fun.

Anyway, flying your own MP mission is a bit convoluted. You've got to start your own dServer, load up the mission in through the DServer's SDS file, and then join your server through the normal MP interface of the game. It can be done - it's how I test my missions. But it's cumbersome and takes some time for things to load. Ah well...

(There's plenty of info about the DServer on the forum, a mere search-click away.)

To play in SP you would need to, minimally:

1) Open the mission in the editor

2) change it's type to Single Player from Dogfight  ( wording may be slightly different )

3) add a entitied aircraft as "Player" <-- this is set where you set AI skill in the plane's advanced properties.

4) Save it in ./data/Missions

Lemmie know if you have any questions. caveat, some multiplayer missions may have triggered situations that count on multiplayer aircraft entering zones etc.

1.) Check!

2.) Change to SP -Check!

3.) No idea how t add an entitled aircraft.When/if I do, do I have to worry about placement on map?

4.) Will be able to figure that out,I think.

This FMB is quite a bit diffeent than the one in the old Il-2,isn't it? :huh:

3.) No idea how t add an entitled aircraft.When/if I do, do I have to worry about placement on map?

In ME select a plane, click on map where you want the plane appear, e.g in runway. Now you have the plane on map, but are only a static object.

Is need made the a "Linked Entity", so click in plane icon and in "Plane Properties" click in the box "Create Linked Entity"

Then click in > above to open the "Plane Advanced" and select the skill "Player".

Entitie.jpg

On Tuesday we flew a coop-style mission by one of our mission building boffins which included a mechanism through which some AI despawned if a certain threshold of human players spawned in. It seemed to work very well. Satisfyingly massive furball with humans and AI on both sides.

This is something that I will have to look into, but just the opposite.  I would like to set up a mechanism that would spawn more AI if more humans were in and less if less were in.  (So that we humans could fly the same team with an appropriate number of AI opponents.)

This FMB (ME ... whatever) is very overwhelming to learn, and the bad developer side documentation makes the learning curve worse, but, I can see how learning it offers so much potential.

You do find yourself getting into it. It's sort of like on top of an IL2-ish FMB, having a flowchart which details which trigger causes what. Sometimes it's like you're making a big machine, full of cranks and gears and counterweights... Great fun!

(My only complaint is how time-consuming testing MP missions is. Test - adjust - test - adjust... half an hour gone!)

Anyway, as far as documentation is concerned, there's a load of high-quality how-to and tutorial material for the RoF ME.

For me, it all starts with Bob Vanderstock's Youtube tutorials.

I would agree.  Testing is, at the moment, the biggest headache in this.  I have the dserver on another computer (a server computer without monitor or input device).  I have to remote in to access it.   So to edit, I have to import the mission to my computer, make changes, then save them back to the server because, for some reason, I can NOT network open or save missions.

I remember in the IL2FB, the FMB had a "test" option where the mission would play out while you watched it at any compressed speed you liked.  Was very useful